Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden/Harris Presidency Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Gen Milley is expected to testify before Congress before end of Sept on the Afghanistan withdrawal. I understand that the Woodward revelations will be fully explored as part of that appearance.

I am happy to await that appearance for fuller exploration of the facts before considering that the General committed treason in any shape or form. In particular, the second alleged call, on January 8th (?) must be seen in the context of the massive confusion that existed following the attempted coup of 2 days eariier. Trump was deranged for months, and was clearly capable of doing all manner of madness by the time that Milley had those conversations in January. I can certainly see how the adults in the room, whether in Congress, at the White House or Pentagon would have felt it necessary to use back-channels to let potential aggressors know that they had nothing to fear from the madmen in the Oval Office. If Milley did make such calls, I thank God he did, and feel sure he did not do it on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Good side of Biden & Harris winning presidential election is that now we can see America moving back into middle ages and nobody dare to complain - too scared to get immidately muted by global social mass-media. USA are organising men hunts like in old good slavery times and what - everybody is clapping their hands!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well, they could use batons, tear gas, pepper spray or corral them with jeeps, I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Funny the BLM marches have all but disappeared under Biden and Harris presidential term despite scenes of immigrants being whipped by border guards on horses and black men still being shot by police officers in American cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

The sense of glee coming from your post is quite frightening. I don't think any person in their right mind would find those events at the border to be anything but abhorrent, but I don't think it Can be blamed on Biden /Harris. I do however expect them to put it to the people in the chain that this needs to stop. It's hard to imagine how far the moral standing of the USA has taken in the list few years, but here we are.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement

No glee, pretty sad you'd think that.

I find it incredible the lack of coverage in the media here about this tbh. These poor people are been left to live under bridges with no facilities living in their own filth and then whipped like dogs by over zealous border agents when they make a dash for freedom. It's yet another massive failure for the Biden administration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"I find it incredible the lack of coverage in the media here about this tbh. These poor people are been left to live under bridges with no facilities living in their own filth"

And yet I have never seen you post about the refugees in Calais living like that for months on end. It's like you have some sort of agenda and take pleasure in seeing the scenes at the US border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They are horse reins, no whips,no one whipped.

Leave that outrage nonsense.

Reagan would have left them in.

Unions bringing pressure on Joe to fly them home. Cracks in the African American vote for the Democrats also driving the flights.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Calais has nothing to do with Biden/Harris as per the thread title. Stop trying to deflect the awful conditions these people face being whipped and treated like slaves under a Biden/Harris leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2021-09-15/gen-milley-defends-calls-to-chinese-in-effort-to-avoid-conflict

“General Li, I want to assure you that the American government is stable and everything is going to be okay,” Milley told him in the first call, according to the book. “We are not going to attack or conduct any kinetic operations against you.”

“If we’re going to attack, I’m going to call you ahead of time. It’s not going to be a surprise,” Milley reportedly said.

That is 100% not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Cody montana

“Video of the mounted border patrol agents in Del Rio suggests they were holding their reins, not whips.”

Why do you keep repeating a lie?

If it stops China launching ICBMs in response?

I stand corrected on what he said.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

If it's to the point that an attack is happening, missiles are probably already in the air.

If you look at the wording, he says any “kinetic operations”. This could mean sailing a carrier group into disputed waters or flying around Taiwan.

If Willey gave a call that China should sit back, I don’t see a problem.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The mainstream media in America is so bad its unreal, utterly reliant on outrage clicks. The story above with the whips a great example, its irrelevant that its been corrected those who seen the story initially simply are not going to see the corrections.

Their was some moronic rolling stone ivermectin piece the other week which turned out to be bullshit which was based on one source and obviously their was a Joe Biden speech thing a while ago which went viral on their side which was edited out of context.

In a perfect world their would be a crackdown on these accounts who are spreading these stories to their legion of supporters, the Whip's story and the rolling stone crap were very easy to prove wrong but obviously got to get those clicks.

The problem is it comes from all sides and I don't think twitter, facebook have any interest in getting involved to try to tackle it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There seems to be some dispute as to whether or not that actually was said.

Claims in an upcoming book that a frantic Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley made secret calls to his Chinese counterpart are greatly exaggerated, according to two people familiar with the discussions.

[...]

“General Li, you and I have known each other for now five years. If we’re going to attack, I’m going to call you ahead of time. It’s not going to be a surprise,” Milley is reported to have said.

A defense official familiar with the calls said that description is “grossly mischaracterized.”

[...]

The people also said that Milley did not go rogue in placing the call, as the book suggests. In fact, Milley asked permission from acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller before making the call, said one former senior defense official, who was in the room for the meeting. Milley also briefed the secretary’s office after the call, the former official said.

Biden polling 31% in Iowa now. He's sinking faster than even i expected. The dems have a huge decision to make now as it's obvious this isn't sustainable

Biden can turn it around but ...

That would be quite an achievement. There is an aura of chaos and incompetence coming from the White House at the moment.

• Advertisement

The scenes at the end of the press conference yesterday with Boris where witness to that. Biden's handlers screaming and shouting in a panic to get the press out before anyone could ask Joe a question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

There's no doubt it's been an appalling month in Biden's young Presidency. He's bled support due to a flurry of punches ranging from the Afghanistan withdrawal to rising Covid, Congressional stalemate, Border migration among others. In particular, Gallup is seeing a massive drop in support among Independents, which must surely worry Democrats on the way into 2022 election season.

Schumer really needs to **** or get off the pot on a range of matters currently locked in Senate intransigence, and the unwillingness of Centrists in the Dem caucus to move on the filibuster has to be dealt with. The range of landmines left behind by the Trump Administration ought to have been defused by now, but seem to still catch the Biden Admin off guard almost daily.

Altogether, as an early school report card might say "Able Student.. Can do Much Better!"

Its very early but right now its not a good time for Biden. If the midterms were next week, it would be very ugly for the Dems.

The good news for him is its still early and he can turn it around and while the GOP are happy at the moment, Trump is still about and he is an absolute hinderance to the party. The vast majority of his messages are slagging the party mainly Mitch who whether you like it or not has done quite a lot for the conservative moment compared to DT and some of the people who may come through primaries could be repugnant to the masses. Mandel in Ohio, Walker in Georgia for example.

The GOP need a 2 term candidate. Trump is old news and needs to step aside.

He would be a lame duck President from a new term. Same as Biden may be now. Everyone, especially his own party view him as one and done. So can he get his legacy through the system.

Not looking good.

As for support, only Bill really turned it around and up, decline from here on in or static is the usual trend over last

The Democrats are also putting at risk the 1 trill dollars infrastructure bill, which America badly needs to bring it's often woeful shocking national infrastructure in to a status of a somewhat modern country.

Half the progressive caucus might vote it down, while 5 Republicans are backing it. Usual nonsense of wanting every thing now and every bizarre proposal to be thrown in for their vote.

The bigger 3.5 trillion Bill might be sunk as well if first part goes.

Trump is going to be the 2024 candidate unless he drops dead and he actually seems to be in better shape these days than he was when president.

Its madness to think a man utterly obsessed with been the biggest story without a lot of his media outlets is going to look at the GOP convention and sit at home.

Nobody can beat him and tbh I don't think any of them want the drama that a beatdown from Trump would be.

Why should RDS at 44 waste his time in 2024 when instead he can run in 2028 still young and without the Trump issue.

Oh Trump you seen the problem with him the other week with Larry Elder. No conservative was winning that election, but picking a black boomer Trump was astonishingly dire by the California GOP. A moderate still loses easily but not by that margin.

However yeah Biden needs a win and I think at times some of the more liberal members of the party forget how small of a minority they have.

A 21 point swing in a poll in 2 months is shambolic.

Biden's approval rate nose dived and then stabilized around 45%. I think it'll hold there for some time now.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-approval-rating/?ex_cid=rrpromo

In other words, he's lost some independents and held Democrat support. If the GOP run Trump Snr again, Biden wins. If the GOP run a semi sane candidate, Biden loses.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What poll is that? Not contesting the number, but I do think when it comes to American polling, it's important to know who was doing the polling - as many outlets can be deeply partisan. No doubt the honeymoon period is over with Biden and 538's aggregator tells the overall story - but digging into the numbers can paint a more complex picture; not least the fact that Red States are slowly drowning in anti-vaccination paranoia via Big Government interference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,793 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I saw the official fact-checking correction, that they’re being corralled with split reins rather than whips. Kind of feels like a distinction rather than a real difference in the broader context…. people’s anger is less about the specific implement used to incur the violence and more about the violence itself. Does the act become that much less intimidating for this distinction, under the circumstances?

anyone I see getting totally hung up on this distinction seems more likely to just be clinging to an available distraction away from the fairly horrific broader practice, which is horrific whatever way you look at it.

Everything about it was terrible, I just hate people telling lies.

I would also point out that this is the Texas Border patrol. Their CIC is the Texas governor, not the POTUS.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,793 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fair enough, I just think it’s important that in making that distinction, that the broader ‘wrongness’ of the situation is not somehow diluted or absolved, which is something I see these corrections being used to do a bit.

Advertisement