Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael D Higgins insists he is President of Ireland, refuses to commemorate partition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

He did lie. He admitted to lying. He tried to gloss over it and invented a different reason for not going.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Further to this, it sounds like it may have been Harry McGee that mistakenly took up Higgins wrongly with regards to the Presidential title fupah. But, I don't have have access to the original interview with McGee.

In any case, it's been clarified. So anyone trying to hang onto it is blowing hot air out of a red face.

Higgins' issue appears to be more about the titling of the event more than anything else and frankly, I can understand why. An event that celebrates/commemorates/marks (whatever term one uses) "...the centenaries of the partition of Ireland and the formation of Northern Ireland" would cause any Irish person pause for thought, considering the subsequent difficulties that such a thing has wrought upon the country.

You know if he had a word with the organisers a few months ago in private, asked them to remove the words he didnt like, quietly turned up for a solemn service with Liz and a few nice pics for the papers noone would have batted an eyelid, there would be noone suggesting he was magically now in favour of partition, we would be praising his gesture. And even if the DUP did find some twisted angle to complain about, I don't think hes the type to be that worried about it tbh. Its all very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

Or maybe he has a pair of balls and refused the invite because he didn't want to go. His decision has been endorsed by 80%+ of people polled.

Jesus if it means that much to you, we'll send John Bruton up. Would that do?

Here is the original Times article with McGee.

The kernel of the problem, he said, was the title of the interdenominational service on October 21st, which stated it would “mark the centenaries of the partition of Ireland and the formation of Northern Ireland”.

It was the reference to the “partition of Ireland” that caused the greatest difficulty, he said, as it politicised the event in way that made it inappropriate for him to attend.

“An invitation to a religious service or a religious event had in fact become a political statement,” said the President.

“You could understand that the title you give to the thing would affect the decision of the propriety of [whether or not] a head of state should attend.

“I was also referred to as the President of the Republic of Ireland. I am the President of Ireland,” he said.

Higgins doesn't say that the invitation incorrectly referred to him as the President of the Republic of Ireland. He merely said that he was referred to as that...presumably by members of the DUP who have done it in the past as a jibe. But then again, the DUP have tried to make out that his decision is a snub to the Queen, which is also a load of bollocks as well.

Unsurprisingly, though, the more disingenuous posters on this forum (no matter what name they are posting under these days) have chosen to seize upon this, so called "lie", and blow it out of all proportion for propaganda reasons.

• Advertisement

He cant meet the Pope every week though, the job involves going to stuff that he might not be that keen on doing, you know, like every job. I only care because it puts unity back a bit, apart from that i couldnt care less if he goes.

Whether you like it or not though, this is not how diplomacy is done, sitting on the invite for months then going all guns blazing to the press, a big "Im not going" announcement. Paisley would have done exactly the same. Either to have a quiet word or invent an alternative prior engagement is the more normal tactic. If you didnt know better you'd say he was new to the role.

He didn't go "all guns blazing" to anyone. He merely declined to go, then explained why when he was asked.

What is it with all the hyperbole surrounding this. It's beyond ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,065 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He hates the poppy, he hates the Brits, he hates the north they are $h1t

Michael D he hates the queen

Michael D he hates the queen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

@Tony EH wrote:-

Higgins doesn't say that the invitation incorrectly referred to him as the President of the Republic of Ireland. He merely said that he was referred to as that...

This, we are relying on the words of interviewer rather than a recorded interview, it seems he simply stated that he was referred to as the President of the Republic of Ireland, weather McGee took him up wrong, assumed or otherwise is unknown, but what matters is the President is on record clarifying what he said or meant.

Does that mean he lied? No it does not, how many times are words misunderstood or meanings presumed by journalists, is a clarification not enough to resolve the matter?

The fact that he said "they keep referring to me....." should be enough to show it was repetitive, something said several times or at least more than once, not on a single one off invite, the "they keep referring to me as" fits that which has been said several times by members of the DUP.

The fact that the very next day he clarified who "they" are should be enough for people, but, obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Here, draw a line on the map where this 'NI Society' begins. If we listen carefully we might even hear the one million people living in the border counties laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

This is the biggest load of nonsense i have read on this forum for some time. i wouldn't know where to start with the prejudice and lack of understanding displayed

Of course he didn't lie.

That won't stop the liars on here though. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

He represents the people of Ireland. His refusal to attend has been roundly endorsed by those same people.

The only people giving out are DUP bigots, who have nothing to do with the ceremony anyway.

A storm in a tea cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

For unity to happen some people are going to have their feelings hurt, particularly those who don't want unity. Diplomacy isn't done under terms dictated by one side either. He was damn right not to go. We all need respect each others views, but as I said working towards unity will put the minority DUP types noses out of joint. I don't see a way around that. Pretending otherwise to keep them happy is pointless.

As much as I know of MDH he doesn't strike as the type to act in the manner you believe he did. As I recall he initially gave no details to the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

1. How do you know they would change the words?
    2. He might not want to to tell other people what way to word their events.
    3. The main reason he did not attend is because he says it is too political and that has been shown . Do a word count of DUP and SF on the current 827 posts on this church event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

"Higgins was never very good at fostering good relations. He certainly wasn’t President McAleese; McAleese was actively encouraging and engaging in conversations, etc.

“I support good relations ... but they’ve now been shattered.

“Relations with the Republic are the worst in many years. Relations were improving. They’ve taken a step backwards."

Michael has damaged relations with Unionists. It took a long time and a lotof very hard work to build trust between the twocommunities. People on here seem to be full of hate towards Unionists. Michael never once engaged with the organizers.

Leader of sectarian fraternity that expels its members for marrying Catholics but not for torturing and murdering them speaks. Nobody gives a shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Is this the type of thing she did better?

McAleese is forced to apologise for Nazi slur

so the bigot from the orange order is okay with being called a Nazi. I'd liken them more to the KKK myself.

• Advertisement

Shankill Butcher Eddie McIlwaine. The Orange Order won't release a list of the names of its members that were killed during the Troubles... maybe because it would show how thoroughly enmeshed it was in unionist killers' lives.

More disingenuous bollocks.

Higgins regularly visits the North, is very pro fostering good relations there and is even the first Irish President to engage in a state visit to the UK.

This shit is laughable. Not quite as laughable as your hilarious attempt to equate him with Donald Trump though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,065 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't think Mr. Top Orangeman gets to decide if relations with the republic are the worst in many years over MDH and his snub.

That article is one very bias man's opinion and nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Defending unionism and its "traditions" seems like an exercise in futility to be honest. I could see it work out in a university debate or something but the dogs on the street know what it stands for, what it is and what it does. Not even the Brits themselves give a shít about it or even condone it.

While they got busy with dumbing themselves down with young earth creationism and theories of innate protestant superiority, they let the natives out-educate them... stupid dipshíts. Now they're the ones complaining about how their crowd are "disadvantaged". Fúck that. They did that to themselves.

Post edited by mcmoustache on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

"that type of exclusionary "nationalist ideology" is what causes the problem"

This is what you sais in reply directly to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I was away when this story broke.... has there being any opinion comment from the UK? i would expect they prefer if all clergy stay out of these debates....

Is there anyone attending from ROI now... i hope not....

Why do you say he hates Queen Liz.... i expect he thinks she is a fine lady... i certainly do....

You are kinda fond of the word "hate"

• Advertisement

It’s an interesting request. I would like to see this list from both the OO and the GAA. That might be another similarity in the two organisations

Advertisement