Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best golf course in YOUR county

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Doctor C

Kilkenny- Callan - lovely course and friendly membership

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

First Up wrote: »
    Good to hear.

Headfort old is quiet good too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Headfort old is quiet good too

Yes, I think it would get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Haven't played Hermitage - is that up there ?
    Hermitage is a traditional parkland course with tight tree lined fairways and good greens. While not a bombers course or as long as some modern courses it is a real challenge demanding positional shots and will test every club in your bag. The 10th, 11th and 12th in particular are a formidable challenge. Ian Woosnam described the 11th as one of the best par 5 holes he had played. Rory McElroy played the course early this year and was highly complementary about it. Several holes on the back nine have blind shots with a bell system in use to indicate the way is clear to play. While best played in the summer as a parkland course it has good drainage and can take quite a bit of rain. Also well known as a friendly club with good food and catering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Must go over and play Castle and Grange

Eh, no chance. Both are snooty, exclusive, we don't like your type round here establishments. No opens ever. Only way to play is to be pally with a member.

• Advertisement

Barnaboy wrote:
    Eh, no chance. Both are snooty, exclusive, we don't like your type round here establishments. No opens ever. Only way to play is to be pally with a member.

Not true. Green fees are available in both and they host numerous outings.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Barnaboy wrote: »

To be honest that would add to the curiosity for me.

I want to play the best Parkland in Dublin.

Just can't see them get anywhere near what is in surrounding counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I've played Castle GC the past two years in their JSC, it's generally quite early in around mid Apr I think, on the expensive side at €40 and disappointly on a Fri at that but it's always a sell out event. Fine course in fabulous condition with a strong tradition of high level amateur players.

I played Grange two years ago also in their JSC and in keeping with Castle it also is expensive at €40 and on a Fri as well. Again a good course but would place Castle a good deal higher in the rankings hence why I choose Castle over it this year to play.

In saying that both courses are quite old school in design with tree lined narrow fairways and lacking somewhat in distance and features to make them spectacular. Of the Dublin parklands I've played I place Luttrellstown top of the list by a good stretch. It really has a fabulous layout on a mature estate with good use of water features which leaves for a memorable round. An awful pity there aren't more members and it's annual subscriptions more competitive as it's a course that would be very convenient for me location wise.

Of the highly ranked Dublin parklands The Hermitage is one I've yet to play but as of yet I haven't noticed it holding a scratch cup or other suitable open competition. My top 3 Dublin parklands to date would be Luttrellstown, Castle and Roganstown in descending order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Must go over and play Castle and Grange

I played The Castle for the first time this year (JSC in Apr) and I'm glad I did.
    It's quite short as I expected it would be but it's a lovely tidy course in superb condition and there's a nice air of history about the place. But you'd never find it without a GPS !

As for The Grange, the Leinster Mid-Am is played there every Aug. Its a great tournament and great value (€40 for a least 2 but possibly 3 rounds). I played in it this year and last year and it's a real highlight of my golf calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

Coolattin in Wicklow - beautiful course and a good challenge

• Advertisement

Earleybird wrote: »
    Coolattin in Wicklow - beautiful course and a good challenge

Fine course. Wicklow is spoilt for choice - probably the best concentration (and variety) of courses in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Just as we're talking Castle GC, the greens are quite exceptional, and i played just a few weeks ago. It's an absolute pleasure to play, and the length means you're not totally exhausted on what is a relatively long back stretch.

It's a classic Colt design, nicely proportioned and well layed out. But you will need a sat nav to find the feckin place.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Just as we're talking Castle GC, the greens are quite exceptional, and i played just a few weeks ago. It's an absolute pleasure to play, and the length means you're not totally exhausted on what is a relatively long back stretch.

It's a classic Colt design, nicely proportioned and well layed out. But you will need a sat nav to find the feckin place.

You are talking about Castle Golf Club in Rathfarnham? What's hard about finding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

You are talking about Castle Golf Club in Rathfarnham? What's hard about finding it?

its up a little lane way in the middle of a housing estate

as someone very unfamiliar with the area it was the proverbial needle in a haystack

I never would have found it with out my google maps app

but what a pleasure it is when you do find it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

County with the best courses?

Wicklow, Kildare, kerry, clare, sligo??

It's a tough one!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    County with the best courses?

Wicklow, Kildare, kerry, clare, sligo??

It's a tough one!

Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

cairny wrote: »
    Nah....More spectacular surroundings, with some wow holes but there's something not quite right about it, not quite a proper links, feels a bit forced to me. Mind you I've only played it once so maybe it's a grower.

Not being able to play it regularly adds to the hype / mystique I suppose.

IMO both are great. I play Old Head a lot and every time it offers something new based on conditions. Fota is also a great track and need to mention Cork Golf Club.

its up a little lane way in the middle of a housing estate

No it isn't. Its on a perfectly well mapped and marked road, off an even more mapped and marked main road in a well established Dublin suburb. The club website has clear directions and all the roads involved appear on every map.
    If you were talking about a newly established course down a series of winding unmarked country lanes I would understand but if you have trouble finding The Castle, the problem may lie closer to home.

No it isn't. Its on a perfectly well mapped and marked road, off an even more mapped and marked main road in a well established Dublin suburb. The club website has clear directions and all the roads involved appear on every map.
    If you were talking about a newly established course down a series of winding unmarked country lanes I would understand but if you have trouble finding The Castle, the problem may lie closer to home.

Is that a bit harsh ?

I was over the dark side a few years ago - for a good few months , and found the place an absolute maze , particularly that link from M50 across - yes is one road. And if you have a map you are fine.

But, that part of Dublin has the max density of villages in the country - and is far more dense in estates etc - with very large parks and Golf Courses ironically enough , (rugby pitches too ;)) separating out the land and roads.

It was like a Ross O'Carroll Kelly experience for me over there.

Anyway - GPS is the answer these days.

Must hit this famous Castle, If I can find it.

I And if you have a map you are fine.

As the saying goes,; 'If all else fails, read the instructions.'

• Advertisement

Lads - If the mods would allow.

I wanted to bounce a zombie thread. Got a bit of news at weekend and deep diving into golf research and refreshing my own mind (of my own posts 😂).

Some great posts. I said I would post again as a good few years and courses under belt.

I'm from Dublin

Best Links (The Island - but very close call with Portmarnock Golf Club)

Best Parkland (Still Luttrellstown Castle)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There's nothing to separate Island / Portmarnock. I always thought the Hermitage pipped it for me on Parkland due to those unreal greens, literally like a snooker table

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Beaulieu

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

7 years later and it’s still probably the best in Offaly. Portarlington a worthy mention now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

Cork - Fota Island (Deerpark)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd like to have a vote in a couple of counties, but I'd be most qualified to vote in Waterford. And Tramore is the clear winner for me. Faithleg and Waterford Castle are fine courses and I have a soft spot for Dungarvan having played well there in a junior open (not sure how good the course actually is). I don't remember ever playing West Waterford, but from what I hear it wouldn't be challenging Tramore for most people, but is a fine course.

Of course, it's all a matter of opinion. I'm playing in Dublin now and the best I've played is Portmarnock Links, but the next highest rated I've played in the county is probably Castleknock or Grange. So I'd either be voting for the best course I've played or voting for another based on reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

I love Tullamore, I'd easily rate it above Portarlington. Esker Hills would run it close, but it's definitely a runner up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Tipperary - Quality-wise the two best are Dundrum and Ballykisteen

Shout outs to Cahir and Tipperary Town Golf Club then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭OEP

Condition wise, Dungarvan is the nicest of the three in the area at the moment - greens are in the best shape I've ever seen them. West Waterford has slipped a bit, probably due to the fact they were up for auction so obviously the money hasn't been there. The Gold Coast has always been the bottom of the three for me, fantastic location but never in great condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Co Armagh really isn't blessed with many great courses.

My home course of Lurgan might top it.

Advertisement