Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

How are Royal Mail confident they're transmitting the TARIC and An Post are at fault if they don't appear to collect from or force the exporter to provide that obligatory detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Most sellers on platforms have their delivery integrated and all the info transfers over. Such as EOri. IOSS. HS codes. Country of origin etc. It seems to only be the smaller sellers using click and drop or the post office counter that are not submitting any electronic data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Yeah I'm the same. No change on the AnPost tracking and nothing on the Royal Mail track. I also contacted the seller who said it has taken up to a month for some return parcels to be delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Except my packet was handled by DHL, that's the German state owned international carrier, it custom clears vast amount of eu bound incoming in a massive centre in Niederaula, these packets are then sent to you with a DE tracking, customs label, postage. If this operator does not know what its doing, then there's no hope for us. Yet, my packet was returned, but not to Australia, but to Germany, where it now sits. So AnPost have taken it on themselves to treat mail from within the EU (customs cleared and vat prepaid there, which is then sent on from one eu country to another), as if it had been posted directly into Ireland from Oz. Not only is it returned, but its returned to another EU country, so it appears nothing is safe from this return mania. Even if you buy from a business in the EU, chances are your stuff could be returned if that business is a legit reseller or forwarder for a non EU entity. Even before July 1st, some people were getting vat and duty demands for stuff ordered and paid for over the counter or online in Currys, because if was delivered directly from the UK. I'm waiting for someone to post that their goods have been returned from an online purchase from an Irish retailer. It will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Finally, progress. My item that was originally returned to the US was resent by the shipper on 10th September. Today, I received a customs charges letter. The difference this time in shipping was the HS Taric no. was on the description- not the 10 digit one but the 6 digit one. The form used was a CN22.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Well my item from See.Sense in NI showed up with post man today. The tracking not updated yet and they send me a request for import vat the other day. Mind boggles. At least I got my parcel. I have another one from the UK that is showing as sorted 9 times as of this morning. Still no request to pay VAT, no response by email, no response on twitter, no one answering phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

There's another company here, https://axecaster.co.uk/blog/suspension-of-royal-mail-services-to-ireland/, suspending delivery to Ireland with Royal Mail/An Post. They include what is supposedly a Royal Mail response from an Amazon forum. Relevant sections below.

"In particular, we are seeking clarification on what appear to be new requirements surrounding HS codes, which have not been previously communicated to Royal Mail or other country postal authorities."

"HS codes are required as part of being compliant electronic customs data and on customs declarations (CN22/23). But, we are being advised by Irish Customs Authorities that they require a 10-digit HS codes (your customer may only be providing 6/8 digits at the moment). We are urgently seeking clarification on this as it is not an EU-wide requirement for items travelling via postal systems to be declared at 10 digits."

"We are also experiencing items being returned as rejected by customs which are being stated as prohibited. These cover items different to those already advertised and which existed before 1 July 2021. In particular, these new requirements seem to prohibit goods which use HS codes starting with the following numbers –

33 – essential oils and resinoids; perfumery, cosmetic or toilet preparations

39 – Plastics and articles thereof

Items are usually prohibited at a much more specific level than this, rather than covering a whole category of items. We are urgently seeking clarification on why this approach has been taken so we can better advise customers."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

So the new packets machines that they are running cannot read the barcodes/addresses correctly (software issue, could take months to correct)and they are rejected and issued with a RTS label, this may sound logical, but here's an example, Fred works in the mail centre, he gets a rejected package and the RTS label, so as he is about to stick the label on the packet, he sees the address, its frank his neighbour from up the road, he can see the address with his own eyes, yet he is instructed by the i.o.p.'s in the mail centre to stick the label on and return to sender. Absolutely ridiculous situation, but it's happening on a major scale lately.

its common sense that any item of mail that cannot be sorted or is rejected by the machine, should be manually checked by a human, this wouldn't take up any more staff, because the staff are sticking on the its labels, the whole situation is a farce. Nobody gives a sh*te in An Post, even though the matter has been raised internally in more than one mail centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement

its a shame more effort is not taken, just do the most stupid thing and RTS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Can someone explain how this hasn’t made national news yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So An Post blaming everyone else when the problem lies solely at their feet - this should be in the news but don't expect Eamon Ryan to do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

I've left sent several emails to

Michael Martin

Leo Varadkar

Eamon Ryan

Joe Duffy

RTE News

AN Post CEO

An Post Head Of Parcels

Every single TV station, Printed Newspaper, Online News paper

and a few more that escape me right now!

It's staggering that every single one has met with silence.

I'm not shy about making complaints about poor standards.

SOme ignore you, but I persist.

If they want to go the difficult route I'll meet them head on and go the distance if needs be.

Sometimes they genuinely have problems of their own and I look at things from their point of view and back off and have patience.

However utter silence, continued bad service, not even re-assurance that a fix is imminent.

I've never know anything like this. i'm usually very thorough in contacting interested parties.

In this case, I'm now at a complete loss!

I honestly believe there is an agenda here. Who is doing it or what they're doing I don't know but every day this just goes on and on.

I firmly believe the only hope is that somebody here has serious influence in political and /or public service and/or the "serious end" of some

majpr media, and will use that influence!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MrCouperin

My ZenMarket parcel arrived earlier today, a day early, having been sent from Osaka on Friday. The tracking information shows me it spent two minutes in customs clearance. It's been a longish ordeal, but I'm happy I finally have my parcel. As far as I can tell, since ZM are now IOSS-registered (so you can pay VAT before your package ships), that'll make shipping by courier a bit more cost-effective in future.

I'd definitely recommend anyone to use couriers for this kind of thing - they're certainly more expensive, but they offer the advantage that you'll actually get your items.

That's the first political comment I've seen this. Did he make that statement in the Dail or as part of a press release I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I had a package returned to the seller in the UK recently, I only paid for standard Royal Mail, in fairness to them they have reshipped at no extra cost to me with DHL Express, I have a tracking number, what’s the chances of getting it through?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

100%, though you will have fees to pay and dhl are not as cheap as an post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I had a chat with our account manager in An Post about this (we use them for our online shop) and he got back to me with what he found out. So hope this helps

1 - If its a gift make sure the contents value AND the delivery cost is under €45.

2 - The contact email and address for BOTH the sender and receiver should be legible.

3 - The description of the goods should be accurate. So not "Clothes" but "cotton sweater" or "Jeans" etc and countryof origin stated

4 - Taric code must be on it. Easy to find codes - https://www.anpost.com/Commerce/Parcel-Solutions/International-Parcels/Find-a-TARIC-Commodity-code

5 - The value of the goods must be declared.

6 - Ideally if being sent by a company, the invoice/receipt should be accessible. EG in a documents pouch attached to the outside of the box.

Pity they don't state above clearly on their website or in post offices, but if all of above is taken into account, there will be no issue and no delay. Unfortunately many small British shops and sellers just can't be bothered.

Post edited by silver2020 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 LemonDropKid

Like others, I spent a week trying to contact Customer Service in An Post without success.

An internet search unearthed the name and contact details for the Managing Director, Mails and Parcels, one Garrett Bridgeman:

garrett.bridgeman@anpost.ie

MOD - Do not post mobile numbers.

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Your An Post account manager has not mentioned a requirement for the sender to lodge an electronic customs declaration, the lack of which seems to be the main reason packages are being returned, so you might want to ask for clarification on this point. Contact email of the recipient seems to be meaningless - An Post aren't going to use it - they have had my email address since I first enquired about my package and latterly when I lodged a complaint and they didn't use the opportunity to liase with me to prevent the package being returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

The information is the declaration. If the full information is not legible, then it fails the requirements.

An Post (or dhl, UPS etc) fill out fields in the revenue's system and if they don't have the information for one of the fields, it gets failed. DHL & UPS usually contact you or the sender for the extra information, but they charge handsomely for both the shipment and the customs processing. At €3.50 an post are 70% cheaper, but obviously less service level.

But follow what I've put above and I simply cannot see any possible reason for rejection. (I edited it, as country of origin - eg country the goods were made in - has to be included - just because it is shipped from the UK does not mean country of origin is UK)

Goods already properly imported in another EU country should not be subject to this regulation. If the country of manufacture origin mattered, then even internal ecommerce would be subject to customs. Origin should mean where it was sent from last, and if that Eu agent has properly imported it, then why should it be sent back on its last leg. In fact, the rules for goods under €150 are supposed to be super simple to make up for the abolition of the €22 VAT exemption. Here's some of the info below from here;

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/customs-procedures-import-and-export/customs-procedures/customs-formalities-low-value_en

Theres no mention of electronic input by the sender either, I still don't know if labels are just scanned by Anpost and then rejected by the revenue software parsing the scan.

• A new form of customs declaration was introduced for release for free circulation of goods in consignments not exceeding EUR 150 (super-reduced dataset).
    • This customs declaration will only require a minimum number of data elements (about one third of a standard customs declaration with a full dataset). It will only apply to low value duty-free goods and private-to-private consignments up-to EUR 45 that are not subject to prohibitions or restrictions.
    • The smaller number of data elements will also facilitate and speed up the process of dealing with a high volume of parcels.
    • This customs declaration is available to any person (consumers, business, postal or express operators).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Following on from my customs notice that was received and paid yesterday, the package was delivered today. To recap. this was posted from the US on 10th September, USPS tracking ended on 12th September with “departed Newark”. No An Post tracking at all and then the next I heard was the customs notice in the post yesterday and the package delivered today. The package had a CN22 customs slip and a 6 digit HS Tariff code.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sorry, but I have just had a package returned to Japan and just this morning had to pay for another dose of shipping. Buyee has been putting the relevant data on packages for years and I have been receiving them for years without issue; this is solely about a lack of an electronic filing, not because An Post employees can no longer read.

I'll bet that customs data on packages is now irrelevant if only machines are looking at the packages - all they will need is the bar code for the tracking data and so long as there is an electronic customs declaration linked to the bar code, it will probably sail through.

Even if we knew exactly what data was missing or incorrect, AnPost have stated that they will not edit it. Do they give the sender the opportunity to edit? It looks to me that the 'stringent' stance taken by AnPost/revenue is about strong arming non EU suppliers, with the recipient just collateral damage. They won't update or involve the recipient, they want the senders to learn the hard way, with irate customers. Of course, senders will say they done everything to the letter, the buyer is left out of pocket and in the dark. There may be legal grounds to force them to involve the recipient whose property they are playing ping pong with. Sender is already paid, and can retain the delivery costs at his leisure if he maintains he met the new requirements. Does ANYBODY know if they scan the details off the packet label, or if it's just forwarded data referenced by the tracking barcode that they base their decisions on. Of so, then why can't we inspect this as soon as it lands on the database here and see if it's flagged as unacceptable. If it is, get the sender to resubmit. If It was OK then it would still be OK when your packet arrives day/weeks later, and you could even have the charges if any prepaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree, it's extremely unhelpful of them not to let the sender know exactly what's wrong. It's akin to a teacher handing back a homework assignment with a mark of 2/10 but no indication of what mistakes were made, leaving it up to the student to guess.

I think a clear, specific, precise root cause for the return of each parcel is more important than being able to amend the details of one that has been incorrectly sent by the exporter. Right now people have no idea if the error in each case lies with An Post or the exporter/foreign carrier and has no way of guaranteeing a successful outcome. This to me is the greatest absurdity of this process. Computer says no, try again. In fairness this element is exactly what Deputy Lahart was quoted on in the media yesterday. Still have no idea where and in what way he made that challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

An Post got back to me via Twitter DM, regarding my parcel which has now been sorted 9 times. It is with customs but only has a physical declaration, no electronic, so could get returned to sender.

At this point I hope it does get returned as the sender ignored mine and ebays emails and I got refunded.

Advertisement