Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

A big one is people who's companies are on EWSS. You're able to go the whole way through the process but most banks wont let you drawdown if your company is claiming it.

As a buyer it makes sense to try your luck as nobody knows when it will end and banks do make exceptions but it's a big reason for things falling through.

Another common one is mortgage protection. It doesn't seem to be well known how difficult it can be to get for those with underlying conditions and people dont allow enough time to sort it. It can take months and months and you may not be able to get cover at all which can lead to the sale falling through

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

Banks might be starting to ease off on the EWSS stuff. My mortgage advisor had told me about a month and a half ago that she'd need a letter/email from my employer the week of drawdown to confirm the company wasn't availing of any subsidies, but when I got in contact with the advisor again about three weeks ago to let her know I'd be closing the following week she said that they had scrapped looking for letters/emails about not being on any subsidy so she didn't need the letter from my employer anymore. This was with Bank of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Bidding has gone crazy, every house I've been bidding on lately has gone well above 100k in the bidding race.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Is the shared equity scheme being rolled out soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭ec18

AIP is an approval for essentially the max that a bank will 'in principle' give you. Full approval is against a specific property and is looked at by the banks underwriters. The amount may reduce the amount offered due to a valuation report (i.e that the house is seriously over valued) , change in the buyers circumstance etc

AIP is usually fine but is not a guaranteed amount from the bank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Buyers circumstances may have changed. You have to satisfy conditions on loan offer and if you can't then bank will refuse to release funds.

AIP is not a guarantee that you will be able to drawdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 qwerty67

What are all the types of insurance/assurance you need as a FTB? Mortgage protection, house insurance, life assurance? All the all mandatory?

Who are the main providers to go with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You only need one of Mortgage protection \ Life assurance. Bonkers.ie can give you good quotes.

Mortgage protection reduces as the mortgage term reduces so is cheaper. Life Cover remains fixed, and is more expensive, but for example, if you are relatively young you can take out a policy now with cheaper premiums, and use this in future if planning to trade up. It means you won't have to go through underwriting again in case by then you've developed any complicating health conditions. You can get a waiver on this cover depending on your circumstances but it is usually required.

For house insurance the building society \ bank usually has a partner through which you can get discount. You don't legally need to have house insurance e.g. if own house outright or paying with cash but you will need it for mortgaged property.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

You need house insurance (reinstatement insurance so that the house will be rebuilt to current state if destroyed, you don’t have to have contents insurance as far as the bank is concerned)

you need life assurance, which is assigned to the bank for an amount greater than the value of the mortgage.

mortgage protection is a form of life insurance, where the amount they pay out is reduced in line with the amount owed on the mortgage. It’s cheaper than regular life assurance because the regular one pays a fixed amount regardless of when the person dies.

if you get a house for 400k and a mortgage for 350k, over 30 years, mortgage protection will only ever pay out a slight bit more than the mortgage is at. So in 20 years the person dies there’s probably 100k on the mortgage and the assurance pays out 102k or so. Life assurance is more expensive but would pay 360k at any point until the policy expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Very true. I suppose I'm naïve in thinking that someone would proceed to Sale Agreed knowing that their circumstances may have changed and that they may not be able to go through with the purchase. What's the point in putting yourself through that stress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

The list of companies receiving it is publicly available so possibly they just check that? But maybe they've started to change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

If looking to upsize, can the equity in existing home be used as the 20% deposit for new home? I presume so and part of the reason why people end up in chains, I.e. not having the 20% deposit in cash but waiting to realise equity from sale of existing home (acknowledging also that the new mortgage might also be lower due to further equity used to lower new amount borrowed).

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Unfortunately sometimes Banks add extra conditions onto the loan offer that may not have been included on the original AIP. Or employer may have been claiming covid supports and it's only when buyer gets required docs that they see that themselves....or buyer may become sick. Anything can happen that you may not have expected the day you go sale agreed on a house. The timeline between sale agreed and drawdown can be very long and plenty of things can happen between those two dates.

In the Buyer's mind, they have no reason to expect drawdown to be refused when they go sale agreed but things can happen that is out of their control and be at the mercy of the bank...hence sale falling through.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We have been sale agreed on our house since the end of August and went sale agreed on a house for ouselves about 2 weeks ago.We have solicitor's paperwork but no sign of any contracts yet.

I have zero expectations of how long this will take.I fully expect it to be a long drawn out painful process.

Setting the bar low for ourselves to avoid too much disappointment!

chains also happen because unless you are very well off 1) won't be able to afford to pay two mortgages and 2) a bank won't let you have two primary residence mortgages

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

agree but my overall question was around using equity in existing home to act as deposit for new trade up home?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Yes, you can use existing equity for the purposes of the 20% deposit required by the mortgage provider. But you'll still need cash to put down as the booking deposit and I would think as the deposit % (usually 10%?) required at signing of contracts. Maybe someone else can tell if the requirement of cash at the contract signing stage is flexible.

The 20% is what will make up the deposit for closing. You're right that's why chains exist, as the transaction for your house must be completed for you to have the equity as cash to use in the purchase of your new home

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dubal

The 10% usually required on signing of contracts can be really problematic when you are relying on the equity from a sale. This can often be reduced by negotiating.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cristianc

The market in Dublin seems to be very differentiated. Does anyone know, are there bids on any property anywhere? I mean, are people bidding for the cheapest properties of Dublin in areas such as Finglas, Ballymun, Darndale or Tallagh? I've seen asking prices here are even 3 times lower than in other areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Hi everyone,

I just got accepted on an offer I made and I am getting the ball rolling to sort out all the administrative tasks.

Does anyone have any experience how long from Sale Agreed to receiving keys usually takes?

I'm currently renting and am trying to figure out how to sort out the lease without being homeless for a while :)

It honestly varies a lot. I read before that the average was 8-12 weeks, but for me I went sale agreed at the very end of April and didn't get the keys until September 9th, which was just over four months total. The seller's solicitor was dragging his heels a lot though, my solicitor had to chase him up constantly. Then my mortgage advisor, the seller's solicitor and my own solicitor all took annual leave at various times throughout that four month period which stilted things a bit. Do you have family/friends nearby that you could live with for a couple of weeks if needs be? How much notice do you need to give your landlord? You can always try to organise the closing date for the sale around your notice period.

Query regarding first mortgage payment - When I was filling out the SEPA Mandate before drawdown I selected the 2nd of each month as my payment date. The purchase of my apartment closed on the 9th of September and I got a letter from Bank of Ireland the following week detailing my payment amount etc. and it said the first payment would be taken the 2nd of November. Does anyone know if the first payment will just be the normal monthly payment or if it will be backdated to the date of drawdown? I just want to make sure I don't get carried away buying things for the apartment and end up with not enough money if they're essentially going to take almost 2 months of a payment on the 2nd of November.

You need to ring the bank to find that out. Also, if the 2nd no longer suits, you may be able to change the date that it comes out of your account every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Very much a piece of string question. We went sale agreed on May 6th and picked up the keys on September 7th. We were first in a chain of 3 and both vendors had a house ready to go and were screaming for everything to be done quickly. Like the poster above there were stupid delays with the solicitors being a nightmare, the banks being slow with the release of the deeds (8 weeks), and our vendors having a delay with securing their mortgage protection (one of them had cancer during the time of their first home so they had a nightmare getting it sorted).

From what I've seen here depending on the complexity of the chain the whole process could take anything from 3 months to a year+. Hopefully you'll be closer to the quicker side :) It depends how long your chain is, where you are in it, how good your solicitor/brokers are, and how ready to go your vendors (and their vendors, and their vendors...) are too.

Best of luck with it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

What do banks have to do with the deeds? That's the solicitor surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

Happened me with BOI a few years ago and it was just the regular amount. Dates were actually very similar.

The bank holds the deeds as, until you repay your mortgage, it's them who own the house. The solicitor requests them from the bank to facilitate the sale. Can take a while to locate deeds sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Ah I see... Sorry for the confusion I'm buying from a deceased person's estate, one without a mortgage so I presume in my case the deeds are not with any bank (until I draw down the mortgage and lodge deeds with them of course)

• Advertisement

Oh I have no problem with the date or anything, that doesn't matter to me as I get paid weekly so it's not like I need to take into account a monthly/bi-weekly wage or anything. More just erring on the side of caution, but I'll make sure there's enough for two payments in that account anyway just in case.

Advertisement