Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RingSting

You can charge it on the granny cable overnight or

I think there might be a type 1 to type 2 converter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, you can get adapters that work.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the 12 th man

Just note the granny cable takes about 3 times longer than your installed home charger.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just to note, the era of Leaf being looked at will likely have the standard on-board charger (3.3kW) so granny cable (2.4kW) not as poor in comparison

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Hi,

New to EV consideration as a replacement for a diesel. Would really appreciate some feedbacks from those more experienced.

I have chosen an example vehicle based on range (126km from full) displayed in images , price and age of vehicle.

2016, model SV 30kw, Mileage 95k km.

The rough facts;

I live rural.

We have another diesel car which we would keep and my partner would mostly use.

Charging would be assumed to be at home only.

Main purpose of car is my commute to work which is 60km round trip per day + weekends of possibly 30km per day.

Hence annual projected mileage of max 20k km per year.

Would it be realistic to hope to keep for a approximately 10 with an expectation of scrappage after (anything else a bonus).

Questions;

1. Can I assume the range displayed of 126km is actual (that is, does the car accurately calculate and / or are their "tricks" to embellish)and if I allow a safety margin of to assume a safe range of 100km, am I being realistic?
    2. With the knowns displayed in ad and my estimated useage, how many kilometres/months might I expect before seeing that deteriorate to an 80km range?
    3. What would be the minimum investment for a replacement battery bank supply and install?
    4. What would be the expected resale value, if any, of the batteries that come out or do suppliers do a buyback?
    5. Would a battery bank replacement be an economically sensible move?
    6. How may years/km might I expect from a replacement on said example car, based on my projected useage?

I know I am asking a lot. I have read all the threads over last few weeks and the knowledgebase and economies have got me interested.

So any answers, even in part, very much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ltd440

Hi Andrea B,

A few quick answers

1. That car should be well able to travel over 140 km on a single charge.

2. Hard to know , but possibly 7 years at minimum would be my guess.

3. Not really economical at the moment, easier and cheaper to sell existing ev when the range doesn't suit you and upgrade.

4. And 5. Answered above.

6. I wouldn't have an idea

BTW that car is absolute bargain ,

Buy it now if its what you want, because it'll be gone in the morning

Thanks so much ltd440 !

Interesting also that throughout thread, green aside, no one has regretted the move economically.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ltd440

Yeah ,we didn't regret it one bit .

Although we live in the suburbs we would do 20k km a year and our 2014 leaf with a smaller battery is holding up well.

Economically it was one of the easiest decisions I ever made.

Good luck with your search

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Hi all,

I'm looking at converting to EV next year, looking at a new leaf (possibly 64kw model). While the thought of going EV is exciting, I would be giving up a four year old diesel (mostly trouble free) and I cant say it doesn't give me cause to doubt myself.

My driving is minimal, 60km round trip for commute weekdays, out side of that its local driving. Not much of a road tripper. So this makes the EV sound appealing to me. Also I likely would have access to a ICE vehicle if I really needed it for odd occasions that might call for it.

I have driven the leaf, I like it, especially the e-pedal which I feel would be a dream in slow commute traffic, there may be a bit of brand loyalty there too attracting me.

Where I'm having doubts is when I research deeper into what is involved in owning one. I read about charging (would hope to mostly home charge), especially public charging where the chademo charge is not really well supported, where does that leave me when/if I need to public charge? Does the type 2 take long to charge? The other concern I read about is how the leaf is one of the few or maybe only that doesn't have active cooling on the batteries. How likely is this to lead to battery degradation and the life span of the car, does our climate suit it better being that bit cooler? This leads into my final question, depreciation. How well do these hold value? especially if I was concidering to trade in again 3-4 years down the road (based on current climate I guess, hard to predict "down the road").

I am sure my questions are probably already answered here, but any thoughts would help as I'm really on the fence at the moment, kind of need to decide soon what I want to do.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭obi604

hi

have a 2014 gen 1.5 leaf for last couple of years --> a proper little work horse, never lets me down 👌

On the last service in July 2020 at main Nissan dealer, they were on about doing a "Brake fluid flush" - I declined.

Is this something I should be looking at getting done on the next service? or just a way for the dealers to make easy money?

Post edited by obi604 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Tarant

7 Year old brake fluid would be a good time to replace it

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

If waiting until next year then there are quite a few new models coming available unless you are thinking SH as well. I think the LEAF e+ 62kWh (usable ~56kWh like the ID.3) is a good SH buy for the longer range model but if you are going new I would look to the Renault Megane E-Tech coming next year or the existing Citroen model. The Megane is almost a replacement for the LEAF on a new platform with proper cooling and CCS charging.

If purchasing SH, an e+ LEAF is a reasonable acquisition for a car (29-36k EUR depending on year and spec) that has enough size and range to do everything but will not break the bank like 50k EUR car will. I have one and find it all-round very good. The niggling thing I find most annoying is the A pillar visibility. Other than that, I like that it is not an SUV or CUV design, and is much quicker than most of the competition (7 sec 0-100, top speed usual 155kmph).

Higher tier cars are the ID.4, Audi Q4, Skoda Enyaq, Ioniq5 etc.

Hi again. About to bite bullet on a 2014 24kwh with 95k on clock.

Done a leafspy and am happy with SOH.

Projected (second car) use of 60km per day and ideally next 4 years and it would owe me nothing.

However, from screenshots, would really appreciate if the more knowledgeable and experienced posters observe any "alarm bells".

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Looks normal enough. Nothing really stands out other than you need a new phone (that screen crack would hurt my eyes!), not a new car! 🤣

😂 Daughter's ifone. The obg dongle would not connect to android. I imaged hers with my fone as she was suffering seperatiom anxiety!

At the moment there are very generous discounts on Leaf in my company's car scheme. They must really want to keep the Factory busy and keep some cashflow.

The discounts are well beyond what Hyundai are offering for the Ioniq 38kWh.

Although the Leaf has so many downsides the cost of getting one is so low that you start thinking "Hmmm, maybe".

Massive depreciation on first few years alright.

Daft that they refuse to implement forced cooling on battery.

Wrt downsides; for me it is if performance fits the needs. I am not comparing to the competitors. So all things seem to line up regarding the range i need and also having the contingency diesel car.

83% State of Health looks about right, once you know the real world range with this then I can't see anything unusual from the LS shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

It is really only the last few weeks that I have been doing longer spins in my Leaf40. Its just over 6 months old and most trips have been short hops - but i've been working on a project that has me travelling a fair bit. I've still not had to use a public charger!

But yesterday I used the climatization for the first time as it was a very early start - so apart from a nice warm cabin and de-misted windows when I got in - i did think the efficiency of the battery was better - as in I arrived at the same destination in the same traffic etc with about an extra 10% of charge remaining. Does preconditioning warm the battery and make the initial part of the journey more efficient ?

As an aside - i claim mileage at the civil service rate from work and my expenses account is set for a 2000cc engine as per my other car ... I'm sure I should be on a different rate if using an EV .. but it is nice claiming mileage when fuel costs are zero !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

We're picking up a late 2019 40kwh Leaf this Friday. First EV, anything to look out for ?

• Advertisement

yesterday I used the climatization for the first time as it was a very early start - so apart from a nice warm cabin and de-misted windows when I got in - i did think the efficiency of the battery was better - as in I arrived at the same destination in the same traffic etc with about an extra 10% of charge remaining. Does preconditioning warm the battery and make the initial part of the journey more efficient ?

It doesnt make the car or battery more efficient. What it does is it reduces the need to use the HV battery to heat the cabin while you are driving. Getting the cabin upto temp is a big draw on the battery. If you have the cabin up at 21°C before you start, the internal heater has very little to do to maintain that on the journey and hence you get more range.

As an aside - i claim mileage at the civil service rate from work and my expenses account is set for a 2000cc engine as per my other car ... I'm sure I should be on a different rate if using an EV .. but it is nice claiming mileage when fuel costs are zero !

I think EV's are meant to be on the bottom scale. The 1000cc one, but those rules might have changed.

@KCross that make sense - in 6 months of BEV ownership i haven't really paid any attention to efficiency as it never really mattered to me. But since doing some longer regular trips I've started to keep an eye on it to guage where I am and trying to avoid public charging.

Looking at the leaf app on the phone it is showing 15kw/100km over the last 2000kms ... so I am assuming that is fairly average?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

For some reason the pack seems a bit inbalanced. Perhaps it was always charged to 80% only. A couple of charges to 100% as slowly as possible might fix that. Also the hx/soh values might creep up a bit if you do a couple DC charges if the car was charged exclusively on AC recently. The lead acid battery voltage seems very low at 11.78 and it could be that the car will need a new battery soon. If the battery is poorly that will lead in to some additional high voltage battery usage.

"Looking at the leaf app on the phone it is showing 15kw/100km over the last 2000kms ... so I am assuming that is fairly average?"

Our L30 would average 14/15 over the Summer months so that sound about right

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I presume your efficiency is kWh/100km not kw/100km?

By the EPA standards

30kWh leaf gives 172km suggesting 17.44kWh/100km

40kWh leaf gives 243km which would suggest 16.46kWh/100km

62kWh leaf gices 364km which suggests 17kWh/100km

So 15 is pretty good going

Nissan do not quote their car battery in usable terms, so e.g. of the 30kWh only ~28kWh usable and remainder lies in upper/lower buffer for BMS purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

This is true but we can only go on the information given to us. Here's a greenncap report suggesting the efficiency range of a 40kWh leaf is between 15.2 and 22.9 so 15 is quite good

https://www.greenncap.com/wp-content/uploads/datasheets/2019/GreenNCAP_Nissan_LEAF_2019_Datasheet.pdf

Thanks do much. Car had been sitting for a few months, so may be related to imbalance. Just got 1 full slow charge after i saw it first time. Will see if they balance better.

Wrt to 12v battery, i will watch and check again over next few days.

to be fair I drive the leaf like a granny - the BMW is for enjoyment !

• Advertisement

The imbalance is 18mV which is fine. Not imbalanced at all really. It might improve a bit if you do a full 100% charge and balance but 18mV isnt anything to be worried about, imo.

If you are really concerned about battery health you should get the car down to a low SoC (<10%) and then check LeafSpy where it will tell you if you have any weak cells. LeafSpy doesnt "see" weak cells until you discharge them to a low SoC.

Advertisement