Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Ox busts a gut but with little to no end product, headless chicken at times,Keita strolls about the place always seems to be playing within himself, glimpses of real quality isn't enough.

I'd move them both on if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I just want to see if I have this right, we don't have the strength in depth that the others have, but we should let Origi, Minamino, Ox and Keita go because they are not sure starters in arguably the best 11 in the Premiership. We should sign who exactly that will replace those players?

I know we are supporters and we have to be allowed to dream, but a bit of realism doesn't go amiss sometimes. We will not sign a surefire starter striker while we have the current 4 in the squad. We may be able to sign a surefire starter in the midfield, but he is going to cost close to £100m. Add to that one or two games where that player doesn't dominate and he will be written off as not good enough.

At the end of the day the only opinion that matters is of the coaching team. If they are happy with the effort and play of any of the players, then that is all that matters. Our personal opinion and dislike of a player doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Ox busts a gut? He strolled around the pitch yesterday and looked knackered anytime he put a sprint in. It's been years since he put in a good performance for us. Time to get rid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Homegrown rules makes him difficult to replace,he might hit form at some stage though unlikely, it's over 3 years since that injury against roma, he was the standout player in the couple of champions league games prior, playing the best football he played for us, a shame, in other news klopp said keita was taking off as a precaution because he kicked some grass......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yeah unfortunately it looks like an injury too much for Ox which is a big shame as he was at times an exciting player for us when he signed initially, with gini leaving last summer Ox and Keita were never going anywhere, and unless we sign one or two this summer (Bellingham hopefully) they'll be here again next season too. As the poster above posted too, him being a homegrown player is a bonus too.

Happy for the young lads too, Jones playing his way back into the fold and taki with a brace put a smile on the face, still don't think he's got a fair crack of the whip here yet so I hope he gets more starts in a full XI. Happy for origi too, never kicks or screams when he's out of the team/squad and just gets on with it.

Many would look at it another way, if Pep or Tuchals preferred starters are unavailable, are the reserves a significant drop in standard? Personally I would say the answer to that is no for both, and probably, for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The club have been given the go ahead for the expansion of the Anfield Road stand and they will do it the same way they did with the main stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Other than giving away the penalty, thought Bradley played really well.

Two very nicely taken goals from Minamino, a real fox in the box.

Jones played really well. Very composed and under stated and kept things ticking over.

Another very assured performance from Kelleher in goal, with good distribution and a good penalty save.

Ox played really badly, and gave the ball away countless times, either with daft, dangerous passes, or by running into dead ends. A good lad by all accounts and can be explosive - he has great pace and a mean shot - but he is just a bit feckless, and rarely seems to make the best of his chances for us. There's a good player in there, but he's just not cutting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He said he kicked the ground, i pray the lad not injured again ,

• Advertisement

Can we give Ox a little bit of leeway

He played on the same side as Gordan & Bradley & Jones seemed to gravitate towards Naby;s side so a lot of the time on& off the ball OX was isolated ,

Yes he wasn't fantastic but he didn't have a base or structure around him ,

In saying that he probably is done at this level

I think Naby has been very good so far this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I watched the interview "Naby kicked the grass" was the wording klopp used, sorry for being pedantic but I think given his injury record the wording by klopp is relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

You can forward my post onto them then, I won't even charge them for that nugget of wisdom. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Kicking the ground can hurt, or twist your ankle etc. It's just a precaution anyways.

Reports in Germany that Basel will try again for Karius in January after he turned them down in the summer as he didn't want to take a pay cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

City fell away with one injury in 2019-20 that cost them the league, apparently. How good will they be if Dias is out injured for a long spell? What happens to Chelsea if Lukaku is injured? He is widely acknowledged to be the missing piece, so if he is injured surely that means they are back to where they were last year, good enough for 4th but capable of winning the CL.

So yeah, in certain areas the reserves is a significant drop in standard for both those teams.

• Advertisement

Is the 4th round draw tonight?

Yeah tonight, after the televised game. Draw is being made live from Potton Bowls Club. Seriously.

Wonder which PL club Liverpool will be drawn away to this time? I think I read last night that 13 of the last 16 cup opponents have been PL sides, with 10 of those being away from home.

EDIT: It's 13 of the last 16 draws have been PL sides, with 7 of those being away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

perspective though is important

Keita is our third most expensive signing ever and our dearest midfielder . OX 9th and 3rd dearest midfielder

Neither is a starter , nor looking like they could be , despite that much investment one could argue that pecking order wise they are 7th and 8th in a fight for 3 midfield places.

Part of me wants to see Origi start against Brentford he is on a bit of a roll now and it would be a shame to not see play again for a few weeks and lose whatever momentum is there.

They are far from 7th & 8th choice midfielders.

I'll exclude the League Cup from this, so only PL & CL games are included, but here is each of the midfielders minutes & % of mins played this season:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ox is definitely underwhelming the past few years - but Keita when fit is right on the edge of being a starter, depending on opposition. Was clearly told yesterday to just be efficient around the middle of the park, but so far this season has been one of our best performers.

Keita’s only real issue is fitness and availability. Quality of performance isn’t really so much of a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

It's ridiculous isn't it. Compare that to the draws City get in both domestic cups, it's no wonder they win them every year.

Reckon we'll draw Everton away next round, oh wait.... 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Hard to believe this lad is still with the club. Must have been given a 6 year contract when he signed. Disaster of signing imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Redo that chart after another 5 games and we will see where they land in minutes , I think Eilliot is ahead of both but obviously will not add any minutes , I will not be far off with 7th and 8th

It could well be different alright where they fall. I don't think Ox will rise too high up the list myself tbh, but Keita should be similar to where he is now - 3rd/4th on the list. Injuries will dictate where he sits on the list really. Klopp has shown that he will start him and give him minutes when fit.

I just have to remember to re-do it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Preston away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Away to Preston in the next round of the EFL - Grand!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Away to Preston.

That will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,203 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

We get a decent draw. City get a hard one for a change

SHort drive up the road to Preston, not bad.

• Advertisement

I'm fairly sure the League Cup fixture is played the midweek between the Man Utd & Brighton League games. Brighton are drawn away to Leicester in their cup tie. Man Utd didn't qualify.

Up against van den Berg

Hopefully get another win

Winning or losing th leauge cup means nothing but the fringe players having a chance to start games. In hige and keeps them feeling needed and sharp

I do love the league cup comments on social media, We need to play the fringe players then when we play the fringe players the comments are those players are crap why are we playing them.

I'd use the same squad for the game against PNE and if we get past them I'd start to bring in some more of the big guns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Are we playing PNE next ? A visit to Deepdale is on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Apparently, Luis Suarez scored in the 78th minute last night.

He's now scored in every minute of a football match from 1-45+2 and 46-90+7. 14 times in the 82nd.

Who keeps track of all that stuff?!

https://www.elpais.com.uy/ovacion/futbol/increible-estadistica-rompio-luis-suarez-duelo-getafe-atletico.html (in Spanish, but you get the gist)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Footballs mad

I was hugely disappointed when we missed out on Werner & he has been brutal & then this summer really wanted us to get Sancho , I know its early but he has looked bad to bang average , Kind of getting away with it because of the Ronaldo circus ,

I do wonder if they came into our system would they be better ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Clearly the current Man City team are a weaker prospect without a finisher in the lineup. Apparently Liverpool won the league a couple of seasons ago because Man City lost a defender through injury. When De Bruyne isn't available in midfield they look devoid of ideas. I think it's fair to say that there is a vulnerability to their team when key personnel aren't available.

If you take Lukaku out of the Chelsea lineup then they lose their focal point. Werner is a very different option and doesn't suit the way Tuchel wants his team to play. Chelsea struggled to breakdown Aston Villa's second choice team in the cup game last night, but they demolished the first team in the league two games beforehand. The difference in the the front six for the two lineups was Lukaku, Havertz & Kovacic vs Werner, Kante & Loftus-Cheek. The link up play between Lukaku and Havertz/Mount is vital to how Chelsea perform. At the other end of the pitch there is Mendy, if he's unavailable then Kepa is a weakness in their defense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Would love him back for a year. The man would get goals regardless of age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think Werner would flourish under Klopp, give him a few bear hugs and he would be banging them in. He'd be a liverpool player only for the pandemic hitting, but I'm quite happy that we ended up with Jota.

Sancho is young player, used to playing for tactically astute coaches, not "kick it to Bruno and Ronnie and hope they score". I'm sure he's a cracking player from what I've seen.

Iv only ever seen him for England before h joined United and i was never impressed ,

I heard form everyone how good he was for Dortmund but her has show very little at United so far,

Mad how the Premier League's top 2 most possession based teams are also the top 2 teams at the top of the set piece shots table. Although I guess as they have more of the ball, and attack more, there is bound to be more set pieces generated. But they do convert those into shot actions. Teams like Burnley would more play for set pieces.

There's a large gap between Liverpool & the rest of the league in this metric though. Almost double every one else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Is it not a case of United {Ole) not knowing how to use Sancho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he is good, but with him, he'll have to adapt.

the German league is full of teams who play with high lines at the back. so much space to run and play into at times. that's very different to playing packed defences every other week.

he's good enough though. I'd happily take him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Got a ticket for the Arsenal match, it's not been moved to Sunday, got flights for a reasonable enough price and an airbnb near the ground. Cannot wait! 😁

Been two years since I've been over, last season was the first time I've not been for 18 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

Is that a confirmed Saturday 3pm kick off? I’m in Liverpool that weekend, but presumed the match would be moved to Sunday/ Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I don’t think he’d have been the right fit for Liverpool. He doesn’t have the pace to play on the wings the way Mane and Salah do, and he’s not good enough defensively to play in midfield (if we played a number 10, it could’ve worked). He’s a quality player and I’m sure he’d find a place somewhere but I think there are better players for our system, and clubs that would be able to accommodate him a lot better than ourselves.

Are Man United the best club for him? I’m not sure they are. He strikes me as more of a Barcelona-type player but he has the talent to settle into any club, it might just take a little bit of time. He’ll come good for them yet, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'm not so sure , just hasn't impressed me at all when he played for England looked so ordinary & in his beging at United

A massive problem for him is now Rashford is almost back , Ole finally realised Pogba isn't good enough for CM unless its the dross at home & is playing him from the left, So he could be left battling Rashford & Greenwood for the right side spot & both of them would currently be picked first

• Advertisement
Advertisement