Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭wassie

Not exactly in keeping with the An Post Customer Charter:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Ya know what would make sense if there was a low value cutoff for customs say 22€. Below that Vat wouldn’t need to be paid to make the packages flow smoothly and alleviate the workload. But for some reason they scrapped this. It does seem like it’s worked out that well

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

Is the lack of an electronic declaration causing it to move in circles hence the 9 times sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

It has now been sorted 10 times!!!

Here is the full message :

"thanks for getting in touch and I am very sorry for the delayed response! Checking the tracking on the item, it appears to be in a clearance delay I'm afraid. This delay would be due to the volume of items that have been received over the last few weeks. According to our system there was no electronic customs declaration provided electronically by the sender. As we cannot amend or rectify any electronic customs data, the item may be returned to the sender as a result. Items now do require both an electronic and physical copy of the customs declaration form to be provided. If the physical declaration is found sufficient by itself and the item is released back to us it will get an updated scan and it will then be delivered to you soon afterwards from your local office. Apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused"

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭andrewfaulk

It was removed at EU level to protect EU business from unfair competition/dumping.. The €22 value threshold was a massive loophole being unfairly exploited.. Unlikely it will be changed back due to teething problems

• Advertisement

That's a bit contradictory. They say an electronic declaration is obligatory but they're willing to rely on the physical but it may be returned? Where is it coming from and who was the original carrier?

Like I said all along, I reckon the decision to take the route chosen was made at a high level in An Post with knowledge in the Department of environment, climate and communications..

As for the media, probably not big enough a story for them at the moment.. All the focus is on Christmas shopping at the moment(Prime time had a slot on this last night), so maybe better to try get it tied into that bigger story.

They aren't.. Once goods are customs cleared into the community they are in free circulation and can be moved anywhere in the community.. Duty is EU wide, the individual governments involved are only collecting the duty on behalf of the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

But weren't there instances cited above about goods being customs cleared into the EU at a courier's facilities in Germany and still being returned by An Post when it arrived here? I think that was what this comment was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Yes, that was me. And thanks to Flaccus' post above I now know they can clear revenue with just the label,

"Items now do require both an electronic and physical copy of the customs declaration form to be provided. If the physical declaration is found sufficient by itself and the item is released back to us it will get an updated scan and it will then be delivered to you soon afterwards"

So either a valid electronic or printed label should do. Its not good enough to reject if one or the other is in error.

• Advertisement

There's at least one TD commenting on it now and three different media articles. You may very well be correct but they need to be pushed and probed. There's also increasing instances of communications from non-EU exporters saying they won't export to Ireland as a result of packages being returning from this jurisdiction only. It's a slow burn but there's no harm banging the drum and little to lose doing so. No reason to acquiesce just because An Post made this decision consciously and the Dept potentially gave tacit consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

Had the same with a Royal Mail delivery. First it was being returned according to webchat, then it changed to 'may be returned' by DM. An hour after that it re-appeared in the parcel hub and was delivered next day. Wondering if RM are putting the boot in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I saw a photo of my Japan one that was sent back and there was a printed label in like a plastic bit but it's been reshipped and arrived by FedEx

I wonder if there has been an internal policy change of direction or more people are exercising personal discretion to do things pragmatically. As An Post are so opaque about this we'd never even know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Possibly. I got a text from An Post yesterday looking for VAT on a parcel from Buyee. The customs declaration again is describing paper cards as "wigs" which is kind of amusing but still bizarre. I'll check the label if and when I get the packet to see if there's some commonality with the taric codes or something.

Also you can tell when they've manually cleared it because of the circled biro marks on the CN22

• Registered Users Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

May be useless information as it was books that I received but had a parcel delivered today that came through Royal Mail. No delays and seemed to fly through.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

I have a gift from a friend in Scotland going around in circles in Dublin 12 since 25 August. On the phone they said it would be sent back a fortnight ago, it's still in D12, and this morning they said maybe the return address wasn't on the package, so take it up with Royal Mail. It was, and the customs declaration is correct, though it seems RM didn't do the electronic declaration. I understand that, fine, send it back, but they won't even do that! Just hoping now that they'll relent and let it through on the physical declaration alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Yes, I had an item sent from the US purchased on Ebay with Ebay tracking it was sent to:

Albert-Einstein-Ring 2-614532, Kleinmachnow, Germany, where it was processed.

The VAT was paid there and a new postal tracking number with the 2 letters 9 numbers and 2 more letters (DE) required by the post office were issued.

It is now 8 weeks since it was sent from the US and I still have not received it and I have no idea where it is.

And An Post won't reply.

What does Deutsche Post or DHL tracking show? Have you put the DE tracking no. into AnPost tracking?

https://www.deutschepost.de

• Advertisement

More good info on EBay US sourced goods.

https://www.ebaymainstreet.com/issues/eu-vat-us-sellers

It should be seamless, you pay the EU VAT, it's cleared in Germany at the Ebay address in Kleinmachnow, and it's an internal EU delivery after that, Germany to Ireland, via AnPost.

Oh, AnPost...

Shyte.

That's that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

I've had 2 parcels simply vanish into thin air. 2 weeks and no word, sight or sound of the parcels.

1) World of Books : Amazon - They say its lost in the post and will sent another. I asked them were they experiencing any issues with sending to "Southern" Ireland. Will see what they say.

2) A little birthday present - a second hand child's Napoli shirt that was bought in Italy and brought back to UK by my little ones grandparents. Posted normal Royal Mail. Labelled as a gift. Value of £5.50 declared. Second hand kids football kit written on CN22.

It is so frustrating. No one from large companies to elderly relatives has a clue how to navigate posting **** to Ireland. Fooken joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I am very dissapointed and worried about Buyee, despite my trying to tell them what the problem is and why my package was returned to Japan, they have insisted I just pay for it to be sent again while they just slap a HS Tariff code on the outside thinking that will fix it. Looks like Buyee are no longer usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

They've basically broken parcel delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

Can't even return the stuff. 2 weeks since they rejected my package for whatever reason, and it's sitting in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

2 of us have tried to explain to them, I gave up, just had mine shipped by FedEx instead altogether. Kinda hard to when I don't completely know myself what's happening

Probably because books are rated at zero for both VAT and duty, so no need for them to go through a customs check?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kev765

Buyee has been a nightmare to deal with, they have admitted the reason for return of the 2 items I had with them was caused by Insufficient documentation or electronic declaration data has not been transmitted., which is a fault on their side but won't issue a refund for the shipping.

On top of that even though they know there is an issue with Ireland it seems they won't do anything outside their normal process unless you proactively ask them to ahead of time to do so, so if your oblivious to the situation with An Post and use them they'll just send on the parcel without any changes knowing it could get returned.

Quote I got from Buyee support :

"Please note that there is different way of handling in each and every customs overseas. Therefore, we are sorry we are unable to help you with customs clearance procedures."

Which as a proxy service whose whole point is shipping local stuff internationally seems like it's their whole purpose as a business they are saying they can't do.

Probably going to have to go the Fedex route with them too to just get clear of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If my package gets bounced again, I will be trying for a chargeback via my CC for my payment to Buyee, as I will have more than adequate eveidence to show they were informed of the potential problem and are at fault for not knowing their business and for ignoring what they were told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Of course but I would figure that the codes would still need to scan under whatever new system or procedures they're using to identify that.

Advertisement