Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Standard fair for all conspiracy theorists

1. Make a claim

2. Ignore/Refuse to answer a single question about said claim.

3. Claim persecution/harassment because people ask questions.

4. Close account.

5. Re-reg under a new username

6. See step one and continue the cycle.

They also point out that the people asking questions have been posting in the CT forum for years, They themselves have been doing this but under many different usernames, at least the people asking questions have the conviction to do it on the same account.

This thread is a case in point..

The same few posters joking among themselves sneering at people wanting to discuss CT, which by their very nature will be vague..

And as for re registrations..I'd imagine a few get banned for reacting badly to provocation..

What the extremely skeptical crowd are doing here is a recognised form of trolling and should be recognised as such..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Reregging after a ban is a breach of the charter.

Evading a ban is a breach of the charter and it's indicative of bad faith and an inherent lack of honesty.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

CQD: people wanting to discuss CT

CQD: I'm asking for the change in charter to be reviewed or suggesting the forum be closed.

your lack of self awareness is staggering !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Dude, you've had ample opportunity to:

1. Lay out your accusations and back them up.
    2. Suggest ways to fix the problem you claim to see and address the points people bring up against that suggestion.
    3. Bring up points about the suggestions other people make.

You've done none of that.

Why would you expect people to be convinced of your point when you don't do anything to actually support it and just avoid the points and questions people bring up that show your point isn't very good?

• Advertisement

I suggested reverting the charter..

It's obvious what is wrong, and it has happened on this thread too..

The only suggestion made was the template..

I said I didn't think it would work because it still enables the harassment like questioning..

The 2015 charter would be an awful lot more appropriate for the forum..It was changed unilaterally..It should be changed back..

That's what you want. Yet you have not lain out any cogent case why that should be, or why CT should be afforded the privilege of protected speech.

You have repeatedly asked that the forum be closed and even in acknowledging the template suggestion?

You haven't actually clarified whether or not you support it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Sorry, but are you really saying that asking questions is harassment? You're not serious!

youve called for either a safe space for CTs or the forum shut down

you literally could not have been more closed to engagement.

under absolutely no circumstances should 'conspiracy theories' be allowed to be posted here without question.

I think a rough template might be no harm, but if it's brought in King of the mob shouldn't be allowed ask any questions..

• Advertisement

People want to discuss the CT forum but not the actual CT's that they post.

The discussion by them is that they want a safe space to post whatever fantasy/CT comes to mind without that fantasy/CT being scrutinised.

We have even had CT posters go as far as to ask for other posters to be banned from posting in the CT forum because they scrutinise thier CT too much.

As I said, they don't want a CT forum they want a safe space/echo chamber where they can post any auld shìte they want without being pulled up on it.

Case in point

"I think a rough template might be no harm, but if it's brought in King of the mob shouldn't be allowed ask any questions.."

Ah. So it has nothing to do with promoting discussion or fixing the forum. You just don't like certain posters and don't want them to post.

Thanks for answering.

But the template isn't to deflect or disallow questions. It's to prevent the inane and repetitive who, what, why, how questions that overtake many posts when a theory isn't lain out as anything other than an idea.

Questions are an integral to discussion. You are proposing not just a ban on questions, but actually censoring a poster you have a personal issue with?

Sounds like he wants opposing opinions shut down. We could call the CT Forum "The Ministry of Truth"

Why stop at stopping people opposing your opinion on the internet? Why not hunt them down and lock them up for having opposing thoughts?

And other 1984 references I guess, I don't know.

I can't help but think this is one massive troll. How can someone who posts about this stuff all the time propose the very thing thy post against with a straight face?

You suggested reverting the charter but then proceded to dodge every single point and question brought up about this.

It's been explained that the charter you are holding up as some kind of holy text isn't fair for anyone and wouldn't prevent what you claim to be the problem nor would it fix or address the actual problem.

You keep saying that this thread is an example of what's wrong in the forum, but all we've seen is people are asking fair questions to get you guys to elaborate on what you believe, while you guys do nothing but dodge and ignore.

Asking questions is not "harassment?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

So is the charter going to be restored or not? This endless back and forth is getting nowhere.

Or better yet, the suggestion of the template as that would actually fix some of the issues rather than shut out certain types of opinion and discussion like restoring a badly written poorly thought out charter would.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

nobody has presented a good reason for doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Has one been presented in yours?

Or better yet, what's your reason and proposed benefit of any change?

It's pretty objective.

"We want a safe space where we can spout any aul nonsense, claim it to be real without demonstrating it, and not have to answer any questions on the subject."

or

"Asking questions is harassment"

....are not reasonable arguments.

And there we have it in a nutshell

Questioning a theory = harassment 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 17,966 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I'd support the template idea. It provides a positive start and details to discuss. If a poster is unable to say what the conspiracy is or provide basic details/evidence for it, then it's unlikely a normal discussion will follow

If a poster doesn't have a conspiracy but wants to engage in contrarianism or denial only, e.g. anti-vaxx views, then those posters could be directed to the medical/science forum. Unless of course they do have a conspiracy, in which case they could fill out the template

For the "people ask too many questions" complaint, the core issue is typically posters who refuse to address the most basic questions. Since the template would cover most of those, it should allow discussion to move forward into the meat of the conspiracy itself

There's a template on one of the PC forums which most users fill out on a regular basis, if I remember correctly, it's the building and upgrading forum, I've seen other examples of it on other forums, so it's not unprecedented or untested. It took me about 2 minutes to fill with my own conspiracy theory in the draft template as a test earlier in this thread, so it's not too time-consuming.

Some users may try to "troll" the template or put in minimum effort, but the mods could make decisions on that, if someone doesn't make the effort to fill the template then its unlikely they'll make an effort at normal discussion in the thread. Also, the forum usually only receives a couple of theories per week, so it's doable.

And within 2 minutes, I’ve already been bombarded with condescending sneering and multiple questions.

The reason presented has been very clear, it makes the forum an uninviting place to post, a chore and unenjoyable place to discuss CT’s.

I’d better stop posting now before I’m up till 3 o clock in the morning answering questions about sea loining, the perceived danger to society of a forum on a niche Irish discussion site and the Socratic method of questioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

But the template isn't to deflect or disallow questions. It's to prevent the inane and repetitive who, what, why, how questions that overtake many posts when a theory isn't lain out as anything other than an idea.

maybe rename the forum 'Conspiracy Ideas' ...

No sorry. It's not opinion. it's a bit of a fact.

Any reasons that have been given have been addressed and explained as to why they are inadequate.

At the same time, there's been a bunch of issues raised about that suggestion that have not been addressed.

The main one being that the original charter refered to people asking for proof. This does not actually happen. Conspiracy theorists are conflating asking for evidence and asking for reasons why they believe with people demanding proof.

So either the charter will ban something that doesn't happen, or the charter will be reinterpreted to mean that asking reasonable questions like those will be banned.

This would not solve the claimed problem at best or at worst ban certain types of opinion and kill actual discussion.

This would also not address the actual problem which is that conspiracy theorists aren't actually willing to discuss conspiracy theories.

The template idea would go some steps towards fixing this problem while also addressing the claimed problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Question for you. Why should constantly repeating the same point over and over in other threads and fora result in a ban whereas it's fine to do it in CT?

For example, years ago I was in the ray d'arcy radio thread. The thread was basically a **** ray d'arcy thread while they listened to his show. I replied, to different people, why they didn't just turn off the radio etc. I did this over the course of weeks as the thread was just a bunch of people complaining about button pressing. I got banned for constantly repeating my point.

Similarly, if I went to the EV forum, and in every thread I kept saying EVs are not that good for the environment and that you should have kept your diesel etc. I would be banned.

I was given infractions in soccer forum for constantly defending an under fire manager. I was "repeating the same point over and over again", despite new posts being made which were repeats of old points anyways, but I was the one given infractions for my point.

• Advertisement

But without questions, how does discussion actually take place?

Surely discussion is built on multiple people asking for other's input, opinions and reasoning.

What is being suggested here is a place where people can simply make statements, not have those statements questioned and therefore have those statements be presented as fact by default.

Surely this doesn't sound right to you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement