Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Popularity among the electorate doesn't make you mainstream. Le Pen's party in France is around as popular as SF here over the last decade or so. Does that make them mainstream? No, absolutely it doesn't.

If you want to take the 60s as the era for defining politics, well Sinn Fein were the fundraising arm of a gang of criminal thugs. The apple hasn't fallen far from the tree with some of the current front bench.

Politics across the world is taking a lurch to the extremes, Sinn Fein are the Irish manifestation of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

And the behavior of FF and FG in office not helping the situation and pushing more and more voters to SF.

Certainly FF and FG have made it easier for the extreme populists like SF to get a foothold, but as long as people are more concerned about trivial issues like part-time jobs rather than the major issues of our time like climate change, then there is plenty of space for the likes of SF to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

That's funny. Isn't this lad a FG backer who donated money to Simon Coveney ?

https://twitter.com/thejournal_ie/status/1440298812715638798?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

What difference does it make if he did/didn't donate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

We were here only last week but don't let facts disrupt a good rant.

Nobody including SF claim to have a cure all. That's false. The north has different governance. You can't compare north to south. We've spoke about this. You should read up on the differences. However, what you think of SF has no bearing on how bad FF/FG/Green policies have been and will be.

The new/not new plan follows the same model that was tried in London. It failed. Using the private market has failed. Continuing is wrong. It's not a case of better than nothing. It's worse than nothing. Nothing would be an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Consistent popularity might change that, Look at FG who started out as a far right party just over 15 years before that era mentioned, they didn't gain any real popularity, in fact their popularity grew only really after FF completely burned a lot of bridges, and after a decade in power and choosing the wrong leader to take them into elections, that surge has taken a dive and looks to drop even further.

What makes them 'mainstream'? Time? As they are certainly inconsistent, and have heavily relied on FF messing up in the past, seeing as the whole far-right thing didn't really work out for them, did it?

Extreme populism? 😏 Leo, The person who sits on the fence until the he sees which way the wind is blowing, the same person who uses movie quotes in his speeches to address the public at the start of a panemic, would know all about 'extreme populism', but very little about winning elections.

It certainly does. What do you think mainstream means, parties you like?

Before you go off, we we're discussing why FG are right wing. SF aren't part of FG.

Varadkar spoke out against same sex couples raising children. He also spoke out against allowing rape victims avail of abortion services. That smells an awful lot like right wing to me. He leads Fine Gael. He changed his tune when the tide of popular opinion was rising. That's not the 60's.

Point is the right and religious right would be more likely to vote FG. Point is the like who treat gays, single mothers and other religions as less than are traditionally FF/FG voters and institutions supported by FF/FG governments. Mostly FG IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I don't agree with splashing the cash to the grey vote, but it's the done thing in Ireland. I wish it were different but we love clientism.

• Advertisement

I bring up the North because the main opposition party here in the South are in power there and they have the same issues up there as down here. So, if people are angry about housing and want SF to fix it, then I promise you, they wont.

The plan is a bit more complicated and has much more in it than the Shared Equity scheme, which I actually do not agree with. Now, If you just focus on that, without acknowledging some of the positives, then you have an agenda.

You introduced the 1960s, not me. Sorry if the contrast didn't work for you.

This idea that FG are right-wing or have links to extreme right-wing is silly nonsense and should be recognised as such. FG, like the Greens, FF, Social Democrats and Labour, are one of a number of political parties that are mainly centrists in nature with some being a little more left-wing, some being a little more right-wing. They have shown an ability to get on with one another and to form governments of various types over the last few decades.

There are a number of extreme left-wing parties - SF and PBP being the most popular examples - whose policies are far from centrist in nature, and who have an inability to form a government through an inability to compromise and/or because of the unsavoury nature of their political representatives. Ditto to a small number of less successful political parties on the far-right - National Party and Aontu - who are similarly unfit for government.

Your last paragraph shows a distinct lack of understanding of history, and in particular, the policies of FG under Garret Fitzgerald. You have been suckered by your attention being drawn to a very small number of minor historical figures in FG, not representative of the party in general.

Again, your characterisation of FG as a far right party is historically inaccurate and nonsense.

They are more interested in making private profit. Why bother being in power if you can't make money for your pals? That's why they'll attack SF instead of improve their policies and character.

I guess you mean they are more interested in making builder developers money? that would be the suggestion here.

So how are the government going to build houses without building developers? I don't see how any houses can get build without developers in the mix and of course the developer will want to make some money.

You don't know that the north and south are different. In comparing the two, that is very clear.

What you think of SF doesn't make FF/FG policy better.

More housing were the tax payer is robbed and private individuals are priced out, is not a positive.

When in the Dáil in 1943 Oliver J Flanagan praised Hitler for ridding Germany of Jews claiming (“I doubt very much if they are human”), he was not challenged by any other member.

JJ Walsh TD, who had been a minister in the Cosgrave government, was another high-ranking anti-semite who described Irish Jews as a “gang of parasites”.

Varadkar: Addressing his past comments, including those in May of 2010 when he opposed the procedure for victims of rape, he admitted the "fundamental shift" in his viewpoint. "I don't think I'm the only person in the country whose views on this have evolved."

You were saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The government are going to be the new world champions of kicking the can down the world.

Simply put, individuals do not represent the policy position of a particular party, and Oliver J Flanagan wasn't even a member of FG in 1943. As for Varadkar, his personal struggles at the time put his comments in perspective.

This desperate attempt to paint FG as some kind of far-right party is quite simply pathetic and silly and a distortion of history. As usual, there isn't even a single mention of policy, not a single attempt to consider the Just Society crusade and the many reforms over the decades led by Fine Gael in the face of huge resistance from the Church and from the conservative elements embedded within Fianna Fail. Fine Gael were ahead of their time in this regard and it is one of the biggest reasons why they were never able to maintain two successive periods in government.

They do need to change, they need to embrace the climate change agenda much more forcefully, they need to focus on improving public services and ensuring that everyone makes some contribution from their income and wealth to society.

So either you believe SF are two different parties, SF ROI and SF NI or you believe they are the one party, just SF.

What makes you think SF or SF ROI will succeed with housing in the Republic where they have failed in the North?

The rest of your post is incoherent blather. Bingo buzzwords with no coherent thought or rationale.

• Advertisement

If the north and the south are so different, that must make unification nearly impossible and hugely expensive, so at least we have cleared that one up.

Same party in two completely different jurisdictions and situations. Seriously, read up.

FF/FG/Green housing policy has failed and the new model is set to fail.

You keep using SF to dodge the discussion and talk about 'bingo buzzwords'.

My coherent talk and rationale stems from property experts and housing bodies looking to a similar model tried and failed in London. Your rational is to talk about Sinn Fein in an effort to deflect.

You don't seem to understand that unification would mean all that would change. Very embarrassed for you.

As for the expense, I never mentioned it. Likely cheaper than the tax payer cleaning up after the next FF/FG/Green crash.

No Fine Gael took him into the fold after his initial antisemitic remarks. The rest he made after he joined.

Varadkar was against victims of rape being able to have an abortion. I'm not sure what personal struggles have to do with being a politician and fighting against that tbh.

You claimed it was nonsense that FG had a far right past. I corrected you. Nothing desperate in clarifying your attempt to re-write history.

Alls I'm saying is traditional FG voters, traditionally the type to have problems with single mothers, the poor and jews, are more likely to spawn the type of dirt would protest a homosexual man than the left as suggested on here, by people like yourself, IMO.

The current leader of FG has in the recent past campaigned against same sex couples having children and rape victims being able to avail of abortion. That is right wing IMO.

OK, to you they are the same party. So what makes you think this party would make housing work in the Republic where they have failed in the North?

As per your debate. As I already said, the Shared Equity scheme is only a very small part of the plan. Do you even know what else is in the plan? Repeating the same point again and again, is pointless.

Oh dearie me, the simplistic theory of unification again. Just wave the magic wand and we will all be living in a land of milk and honey funded by taxation of unicorns and rainbows.

Read my post again, where I deconstructed your argument and exposed its shortcomings.

FG do not have a far right past, that is utter nonsense, fabrication and Orwellian rightthink. Still your comment about FG voters being traditionally the type to have problems with jews really exposes your lack of knowledge.

Thats the past, what a good political party will do is learn from the past and move onwards and upwards. I am sure FG will say they made mistake before, I am sure FF & Greens will say the same.

Some other parties are just determined to relive the same errors over & over again. We are how many years into the Good Friday agreement and we still have the two main parties bickering over everything and people dying because of it. It's a excellent example close by of political parties never learning or trying to change to provide a better service for the people that voted for them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This is the one issue successive governments are paying lip service to...

Pensions timebomb waiting to go off unless we take action now (irishtimes.com)

In this case the Government has had time to plan, be prepared and act and that time is now. Luckily, much of the work identifying what needs to be done is already there. The last government set out a detailed plan when it published its Pensions Roadmap almost three years ago. There were a number of different strands to the roadmap but the main ones included reforming the State pension, introducing an automatic enrolment savings system, and improving governance and regulation of private sector pensions.

It is in every one’s interest that this Government gets ahead with implementing the recommendations of the Pensions Roadmap so that we prevent another crisis being visited on us in the near future.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Advertisement