Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

It doesn't matter what the goal of Islam is.

There are many Muslim countries in the world.that are not strict islamic states.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Problem is Bubblypop, that while not all Muslim Counttys are radical hardline Islamists, Islam it self has it in its very DNA. There are plenty of muslim Countrys who are fighting radical Islamists. Isis, Al-Quaeda, Talibab. Wahhibsm etc. And yet all the radicals have to do is to point out the relevant passages from the Quran to justify their actions. And as my ex wahibbi friend used to say, " Everything a man wants in Life he can find in the Quran! Peace and Love, ? Certainly, Death to the unbelievers? Yes, of course. And Bubblypop, thats my main objection to Islam. If all of these inhuman practices were deleted for the Quran, I think that I'd be very happy with what would remain. In fact, Sharia Law has several very good advantages over western Law. Its cheap, its quick, and its effective. ( possible reasons that it would not be acceptable in the west,,,,the cheap part especially !!! ) A person lodges a claim in the local Sharia Court, for a very small fee, The case is called, both sides are allowed to make their case, The Judge listens, and then consults the relevent passages in the Quran, and based on this, arrives at a judgement. Job over and done with. At one time when I was in Afghanistan, a local Taliban wanted to "buy" the land off a local Farmer. The Farmer took the case to the court. After hearing both sides, the Judge found in favour of the Farmer, and the Taliban, a very angry Talib, was told in no uncertain term's that the Farmer was right in Sharia Law, and that applied to every Muslim, Taliban or not.

It doesn't matter Jim!

Everyone in a country is subject to the law of that country. You seem to be obsessed when there is no need.

Sharia law will not take over, so relax jim. It's crazy!

Are you serious?

Do posters actually think that 1.8 billion Muslims live in strict islamic countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well there’s Indonesia for starters, has the largest Muslim population in the world, not an Islamic State nor an Islamic Republic, and not at all surprisingly, their Muslim population don’t all think the same way as is being made out by @jmreire .

We all know that adherents of any of the Abrahimic religions consider their religious texts the literal word of God and that they follow their own rules and consider their rules are above the rules made by man, but that doesn’t mean the rules of man don’t apply to them equally as they do to all people regardless of their religious affiliation.

We’re also all aware that it isn’t religious differences or discrimination that influences policies, but it’s rather political differences and discrimination which influences policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

You seem to forget that law is made by man, not the other way around. So with enough numbers they will be able to influence and change the law of the country, just as the law of the country was made and changed before.

Also, can you please stop insulting me or telling me what I need?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Iker

Well jm, I'm not saying Muslims are going to change their views of us. Nor their religion and whatever acts it compels them to do. But to say that if any number of Muslims started breaking our laws that would trigger just a 'rapid response', is a big understatement. To go any further and then extrapolate that in 50 or 100 years they will have re-shaped Europe in their image, with everything that endeavour entails, I firmly believe that to be nothing more than a massive failure to understand who we are and how we got to be who we are now. 50 or 100 years is a long time. One thing is to preach of conquering the West back in Iran or wherever, another thing is to be in the frying pan for 50 or 100 years.

I agree that these days Christians and other groups ethnically associated with the West, do not kill, main, etc... on foot of religious beliefs. Arguably however, specially from the point of view of Muslims, we do very much so kill and maim for our secular beliefs (freedom, democracy, etc...) no need to point examples there. Is not like we are shy about it.

So, where does that leave us? See, what I think proponents of a reactionary (knee-jerk I would call it) approach to Islam in Europe fail to comprehend, is the lengths we, not them, go to maintain our freedoms. Which is of course perplexing, as it is on the news practically 24/7 and there is a whole movie and video-game industry around it. So, let me ask you again, how exactly are 50 or 100 million Muslims, constrained by the same laws as you and me, defended yes but also constrained by the same Constitutional guarantees (in some countries not even defended by these, to quote you), principles and laws for which we do burn half the world to defend (fact), just how are they going to take over us? Are they going to get us to convert to Islam by winning our hearts? because failing that, it is not happening. Never by force, that, is the ultimate no-no friend, as it is already evident.

It won't happen jm. But even if it gets closer to happening (and that's a massive if), it will only get so far. Then it will be like Nazism and Fascism got so far (some still around and very much disliked). Like communism in the East got so far. Like the Roman Empire, then morphed into the Catholic church got so far. It may have laid the foundation for modern Europe, but the church doesn't rule us. Like the Turks got so far trying to get into the EU. And then, if Islam proves is truly subversive, it will fail. Miserably, loudly and it will serve as yet another example of a subculture that proved subversive to our freedoms. We'll tell our future generations of how stubbornly determined Western society was to NOT be ruled by any God. And that's who we are, if you didn't know. Unless we choose it or create it ourselves, not God can rule us. You are forgetting that. We are rebellious. Dangerously so actually. We don't do submission. Islam is all about submitting. We do either consent or war. Yes, even fat and lazy as we are.

See unlike you, I haven't lived in Muslim countries. But I am pretty certain that while Islam maybe (or not) promoting this aggressive take over you talk about over in Iran and these traditionally Muslim countries, individual Muslims are just human, vulnerable, flawed and also not stupid, just like us. So yeah, the day 50 or 100 million Muslims decide to break the law and stage a coup in Europe, they will be 50 or 100 million Muslims in an ocean of trouble. Nothing more. Civil war comes to mind. Foreign intervention comes to mind. Round up and mass deportations come to mind (see WW2 for precedents on this). Revocation of nationalities if involved in activities subversive to the State comes to mind (already happens). All this, and a whole lot more, would not just happen, it would definitely happen should the scenario you fear ever take place.

Jm, Islam may defeat many things for its weight, but nothing, I repeat nothing, defeats Western ideals. It's like the moment the guillotines went up in France, Pandora's box was open. No one can close it. We are the biggest danger to other cultures, not the other way around. Which explains Islam lashing out. Because pal, like it or not, our values are mighty (even if we don't live by them! LOL). Fecking unstoppable if you like, especially when someone threatens our freedoms. No. Correction even when we just think that someone may threaten our freedoms. Did you miss the part where we just went into the Middle East and set them back 100 years? Have you seen what cities over there look like now? They don't even have sewage and running water anymore. And all this because a few of their radicals thought they could start something that would lead to this fabled Islamic resurgence.

You really seem to ascribe to them some almost super-human powers of infiltration, endurance and take-over. Jm these are just people! Yes, very different to us, but people. They fill a nappy too if they are in danger, they aren't all some 100% determined jihadist. They get tired. They give up. Hell, some even convert to Christianity. Furthermore, back in the real world, they won't be given the chance to carry out a coup any more than you or I are given the chance. The system protects itself, I thought that was evident. So, I'll never see poor immigrants as some existential threat to Western civilization, sorry. I know too much to be that simple.

Europe is on the verge of setting down common immigration policy. I expect this wave of immigration to subside. Many will be deported; many will go back themselves (can't be easy, admit it). And in the future, it will be a lot harder to get in. That is all within the realm of what's in the pipeline. So please, let's stop the collective scaremongering together, its demeaning ourselves and our own culture.

considering there are Muslim majority countries in the world that are not strict islamic states, how many muslims do you think would need to be living in this country for it to turn into an Islamic state?

Hilarious.

How am I insulting you exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Wouldn’t matter how many numbers there are when they have no political influence, and it is politicians who agree on laws, that’s kinda the point of a representative democracy. You’re still arguing as though all Muslims think the same when in reality they very clearly do not, and it’s either through ignorance, or deliberately trying to mislead anyone, that you portray all Muslims as thinking the same way as you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

We do not need these problems here Bubbly:

https://apnews.com/article/paris-europe-ea16d38eabdb94819caedfb28c048950

French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said Thursday a state school teacher who allegedly received death threats after writing an open letter on the threat of radical Islam to teachers has been offered the highest level of state protection.

Lemaire, a philosophy teacher, said he received death threats after he wrote an open letter saying the state did not do enough to protect teacher Samuel Paty.

Paty was beheaded last October by 18-year-old Abdullakh Anzorov, after he showed cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed in a class on freedom of expression. 

Lebanon

Malaysia

Indonesia

Albania

Bosnia

Kosovo

Turkey

Azerbaijan

Tunisia

Morocco

A lot of the 'Stans' of central Asia, not Pakistan or Afghanistan, obvs!

We already showed the statistics, MOST are against Western values .

The vast majority already here are not compatible. You ignored the statistics

What would you suggest to make sure that doesn't happen here?

You showed statistics on one poll carried out. I don't know anything about the poll, how it was carried out, on who, where.

Statistics can be misused and misleading.

I don't have the solution so thats why Im wary of having a more Multi-cultural Ireland , you seem to be gung-ho for having a multi-cultural Ireland so what would you suggest to make sure this doesn't happen here like it did in France ?

What's your point?

Lebanon is a Muslim majority country that is not a strict islamic state.

ever been there?

• Advertisement

Do you think multiculturalism is just muslim? Or is it just Muslims you have an issue with?

I would treat all crimes exactly As they are treated now.

No not just muslims but Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world.

I would have an issue with the teachings of Islam not muslims, its a nuanced view I know but there you are.

I have issues with the teaching of all religions. I think all religions are bullshit. But, I dont have any issues with others who believe in their religion.

Neither do I believe that Islam is ever going to have any kind of affect on the laws of Ireland.

Do you believe the social issues they are having in France would happen here ? If not, can you say why we would be different ?

France has very large Muslim communities. These are not mostly immigrants, but French citizens of Muslim background. France was a major colonial power which invaded and ran many colonies in majority Muslim countries for centuries. As a result of that connection, there have been large Muslim communities in France for nearly a century. This was not a notable issue until the recent wave of radical Islamic attacks, which have succeeded in polarising the society of France, as I'm sure the so-called jihadists wanted.

Ireland has no large Muslim communities. No colonial past (unlike the e.g. UK/England), which has always led to segregation and institutional racism in France for a long time. This is an important factor when considering the current situation, not everything stems from Islam. Some problems were already there in the social dimension. Over many generations, the French/Muslim population of France has developed a sense of victimisation due to their history in French society.

In Ireland there are very few second and even less third generation Muslims, is mostly recent arrivals. It is a well-known fact that most of the radicalised individuals which attacked Europe were at least second-generation citizens or later.

• Advertisement

In Ireland there are very few second and even less third generation Muslims, is mostly recent arrivals. It is a well-known fact that most of the radicalised individuals which attacked Europe were at least second-generation citizens or later

Cool then we can relax now, and let our children sort it. Just another problem we give them to inherit and deal with it, on top of everything else.

Or like you they can just pick and choose parts of facts to justify their irrationally, fear-generated hatred of others and become complete bigots like mum and dad.

I'm sure that will work out just fine too.

For one example, the murder of one teacher and the threatening of another because they speak about islam. These threats being seen as very likely to be followed through on by the French authorities. France also have laws, do you believe issues such as these would manifest in Ireland as they have in France and if not why not?

Should Spain round up and deport all Irish citizens from Spain?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Did the Irishman kill him because he drew a picture of Ireland? And is that a law that all strict Irish people believe in?

• Advertisement

Should the Spanish give a damn why the Irish man committed a murder in their country? There is a law against murdering people in Spain, for any reason.

So I'm bigoted because I'm concerned about the growth of a dangerous religion/ideology that actually destroyed nations, but you aren't bigoted for looking down at me, or are you?

You see no difference between 1. the killing an innocent people because they don't believe in the islamic God and prophet and don't live their lives according to the rules that religion sets out and 2. a drunken fight over a woman in a pub ? Its no business of mine what Spain do.

Bigot:

1. Obstinately and blindly attached to some creed, opinion practice, or ritual; unreasonably devoted to a system or party, and illiberal toward the opinions of others.
    2. Being a bigot; biased; strongly prejudiced; forming opinions without just cause.

You tell me what applies to you.

Nice pivot, but I'm talking of societal issues that have been visited upon France as an argument against Multi-Culturalism and why those same issues would not be visited upon Ireland.

I'm not sure what you're asking here?

if you're asking is it possible that those particular crimes could.happen here, then yes, it's possible. Anything is possible.

Everyone can commit crime and I'll just point out that it doesn't matter one bit why they say they committed the crime.

so yes, crimes will happen in the future, Muslims may commit crimes in this country, as do many other religions and nationalities. They will be treated the same, justice is blind.

There is no difference.

in both cases someone has been murdered and someone else is guilty of that murder.

do you see some difference?

• Advertisement

And I've written on this thread extensively about how the potential outcomes of those societal issues (like the incredibly sad murder of the person in France) are already covered by our laws. Murder in the name of Allah or in the name of Heineken, is murder. Is why we have laws and follow them. Not our fear or instincts.

This warmongering and fearmongering against any and all Islamic peoples will only accelerate social issues in our country. Can't you see that? The 'othering' of innocent people. The exclusion and finger pointing are the best manure for polarisation to emerge here, just like in France.

One is religiously motivated, the attackers say so themselves, has adherents who believe that those who do not follow their religion are enemies in a literal holy war and should be subdued by any means. Have committed multiple atrocities worldwide in recent years in the name of this religion.

The other is a single drunken man who killed another man in a drunken fight on a holiday. He should be deported and jailed for life but I do not believe he has confessed to being a part of a movement that wishes to see their way of life and religion imposed on all others.

Can you please answer and question I put to you twice now, do you believe the issues such the ones I linked to in my previous posts in France could take place in Ireland and if not why not ?

Interesting article here about Sweden:

Two things stand out, the term "humiliation-robbery" which is a typically Swedish way of not saying race based crimes against ethnic Swedish children and women.

Also the middle and upper classes in Sweden who have been cheer-leading mass immigration into Sweden and Europe are starting to go strangely quiet as the areas they live in are now suffering some of the consequences. You could almost call them hypocrites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Fecking hell most of that definition could apply to the majority of adherents to a major religion.

1. Obstinately and blindly attached to some creed, or ritual; unreasonably devoted to a system, and illiberal toward the opinions of others.
    2. biased; strongly prejudiced;

Quislings who despise their own.

I am not allowed discuss …

I have already answered that question.

There is no difference in murder in law. Someone is dead, someone else is guilty of murdering them.

It doesn't matter why they committed murder, merely that they did it. Same result, same conviction, same sentence. No difference.

Wait just a second. Not so fast. If I'm a Spaniard and hear of an Irishman killing an Englishman of all people, I would be massively justified in suspecting some connection to a movement there. "They haven't gone away you know..." remember? so don't be so quick to dismiss how others beyond this little island might view us, taking into account what the IRA spent a hell of a long of time doing to British nationals. And there of course you would be hurrying to explain to the Spanish authorities and people, that that's all in the past now and Irish people aren't defined by that, THAT IT WAS THE ACTIONS OF A FEW, etc... well, that's exactly what 99% of Muslims are telling you. Yet you remain oblivious.

I see that you always appeal to this in law argument as if it negates the larger societal issues that Europe is experiencing with the growth of islam. Viewing these incidents in isolation to avoid the larger issues multi-culturalism is bringing forth in countries in Western Europe.

Or you could call the article an opinion piece by a journalist

You seem to be extremely "illiberal toward the opinions of others".

• Advertisement

Did the man shout Ireland is the greatest before decapitating him ? Was the motivation the perceived insult to Michael Collins or over a woman in a pub ? Why don't you listen to the people who commit these atrocities when they tell us why they are committing them ?

Advertisement