Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub3k) of the week/day Part 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Lads, I've a seller trying to flog a Volvo V50 who says that there is air in the power steering so the wheel is hard to turn but driveable.

Says no grumbling noises when turning the wheel just that it's hard, as if there's no power steering.

He topped up the reservoir but says it was never bled.

What say ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kil

I say he is telling you a fib, too many sellers will to offer an easily fixable solution to a problem. If it just needed to be bled why didn't he do it before putting it up for salle or offer to get it done before you take it? Whole rack could need replacing for all you know.

Yeah I thought that about the rack, it was the first thing that popped into my mind.

Mentions no noise and it being hard to steer I assumed pointed away from the rack, doesn't rack failure usually result in loose steering?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kil

My experience of a dodgy steering rack was a notchy feeling when dead straight ahead but I think it could have many symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mankteln

Two S40s. What kind of issues do you expect with the flexifuel model? I've seen a good few for sale over the years when I'm looking and they always seem to be cheaper/hang around longer.

• Advertisement

They aren't supposed to be very good on fuel. The 1.8 would be a better bet.

Plus the interior of that 08 looks terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The flexi fuel version can run on both petrol and bioethanol. They have high fuel consumption which wasn't an issue when bioethanol was sold here back in the day very cheap. Then the Government decided to increase the taxes on it so the sale of it literally dried up. They still consume the same level of fuel except you are filling with regular unleaded only now. Also those engines need servicing every 10k km afaik. Ford had the same engines in their Focus and Mondeo at the time as Ford owned Volvo back then. Overall they are not very appealing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Easy to see if hes telling the truth.

Take the cap off the reservoir and turn steering wheel from lock to lock several times. That'll bleed it. If not he's talking bollix

With the steering apparently being "hard but manageable" then I'd imagine it's a bIt more far gone than a simple bleed?

I mean if it was that simple...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Brakes and steering, the two bits of a car that keep you from testing out the air bags... Run away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

2002 skoda octavia tdi

High mileage

595 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/24890437

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Probably impossible to insure but this looks lovely. Very tidy looking 1.7 Civic coupe with NCT til October 2022 for €1250

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭passatman86

In the coupe civic what is the stain on the back seat floor lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

2008 2.2 diesel civic

Reliable for mixed driving, motorway and deliveries or not reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Post edited by kalkat2002 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

That’s lovely Duke. Classic policy and the tax is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

very interesting car, shame its a Renault,

Renault Vel Satis for sale in Meath for €1,600 on DoneDeal

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭choo choo man

Hi,

I am in the market for one of these Bangernomics cars, just a query though. Are there any issues insuring these cars that are nearing 15 years old? The reason i ask is that about 6 years ago my insurance company could not insure me going forward as my car had reached 15 years of age. I had no penalty points, claims and had a full NCB. The car was a Nissan Almera.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

I'm driving a 1.9 2005, octavia estate. Last years premium for fully comp was €465, this year its €423. Excess is €250.

Im 42, full ncb and no penalty points living rural and I've my wife named on the policy which knocks a few Euro off. She has her own policy on another car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Similar to yourself except I'm a bit older and up until last year drove an 02 Bora tdi. No problem insure with Aviva as long as I didn't switch insurer. Changed to a tdi Octavia 2012 and insurance went up by over €100. So I changed insurer this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

My own bus up for sale if anyone wants any further info DM me .

Going to give some feedback on this for anyone that sees it and wants to view it.

I went to see it last night, drove 4 hours from Dublin to Ballina.

The body is quite rough, you can tell it has been parked up and quite a few scratches all round which isn't a big deal tbh.

When he brought it, he turned the radio up full blast which at the start I didn't understand why until I turned it off and could hear the exhaust was blowing.

The brake discs seemed new and the NCT is done until may 2022.

And states there's tax until 01/22 which I found misleading as it expires 12/21 but again not a massive thing.

The worst was when I drove it. Notchy Gear change and you could really hear that the exhaust had I'm guessing either a hole or a gasket had failed somewhere.

The speedo doesn't work. Which obviously isn't mentioned in the ad. And that pissed me off.

Asked if he noticed it didn't work to which he didn't notice at all even though he drove it to me.

In the end I couldn't take the risk but if it doesn't bother anyone then he'll let it go for 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭shoxter

I don't know why sellers can't be upfront about big issues especially when travelling so far. Also if the Speedos not working there's a very high chance it's clocked,if I'm reading the service book right it had 48k in 2009 but it has only 75k 12 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭choo choo man

Same for me too, i was 45, living in Dublin with my wife on the policy. At renewal time, i got a letter in the post saying my car no longer met their criteria. When i queried this, i was told my car was over 15 years of age and as such was high risk?. Could not get a quote on line from any insurance company. Ringing around (approximately 4 years ago) the only insurance company that would cover me was AXA. From memory i think it was around €650 Third Party. The car was a 1999 Nissan Almera. Never had a claim and have a full Irish licence for 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unfortunately your budget puts you right in the middle of the bottom feeders of both cars and sellers. In this price range your never going to find a car that doesn't have some sort of issue or need work imo. Unfortunately sellers are sellers and most are never going to be completely honest about a car in the risk it puts you off coming to look and buy it. There is just so much dross out there for sale in this price range that there is no way I'd waste driving 4 hours across the country to view one as there is almost a guarantee it won't be anywhere near as described by the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Agree with this. If I was buying for under €1,000 I'd be sticking to within an hour travel distance to go looking at potential cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I thought these looked great- at the time - don't think that look aged well though -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Nice looking 2.0 156 with a years test for €800

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lads going to see this car on Friday, I just need a cheap run around for the winter so I can stay off the motorbike for the colder months. A Yaris fits the bill for cheap insurance and tax until I build up some no claims bonus as a new car driver, insurance companies are shafting me as they wont recognise 10+ years claims free insured on a bike

I know lots say this era of Yaris 2007/8 are bullet proof and generally very reliable but is 160k miles on the clock a bit too much for the model, would it put you off? I know its about average for its age but just wondering if it would be a concern, is it getting to its end of life.

I'll be talking to the owners mechanic who has worked on it the last 4 years and Im told there is receipts of work done. What should I be looking out for, was going to ask how long ago the timing belt and clutch has been done. Is there any other known issues at its age and mileage that I should be looking out for?

Advertisement