Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 11,453 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Do you really think stopping people sitting in a canteen would stop people from talking?

I am friendly to people, we get on well, we are supportive of each other professionally, we have weekly coffee zooms which most people join. That is different to them being my friends in any setting outside of work. Don’t mix those up. Don’t think I have ever kept in touch with anyone from a previous job other than through LinkedIn for professional contact, even if we are friendly in the office and on an office night out.

It’s always been that way for me, from the first days of my career. My friends are in my sports clubs and around my home. Those at work are colleagues with whom i am friendly when there. But when we are all hybrid and our paths rarely cross (I’m in Monday / Tuesday, someone else is in Wednesday / Thursday) it does not impact me socially, nor my ability to do my job, in any way whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You do know chats around a water cooler is not meant to be taken literal right?

Where did I say the people chatting are making decisions. What I said was they could be making small talk about the day and something may pop into there heads which they can then bring up to the group as a whole to make decisions. You have this idea that people talking in groups are conspiring against you are something.

Maybe you should do as suggested in your first sentence may help realise not everyone is out to get you

How was my sentence great for relaxed chat countered with line not everything has to be in a meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Chat on an employer-provided electronic platform would be of a different nature in some workplaces. Maybe not yours. But some.

• Advertisement

To clarify, i was not implying that all talk was/is bad. What I am saying is that decisions made or work related talking outside the team/department you work for is counter productive. I have my own experience with this first hand from agencies and then in telcos.

You can talk shop, football, celebrity stuff, whatever you want, I really don't care. When it comes to work, however, I do draw a line there. This might be due to my own experiences where a co worker can come back to you and say "So myself and XYZ talked about that thing you are on, and we think it is better to do this instead". You/I were not consulted, the decision is already made in their heads, there is now no real context to the conversation that you were never part of, and that builds up distrust across a team that is working together.

If there is a suggestion to come from that, fine, bring it to the table as a that, a suggestion. But if it is a decision made without context or reason, that is the issue I have with that.

My current employer employs the idea that every decision needs to be contextual. We decide, as a team, every 2 weeks (Sprint Planning) what we will work on. If a decision comes from higher up the chain, fine, that is how it works in companies. But it never happens during coffee zoom chats that 2 teammates might talk about your work and decide a different course of action.

Relaxed chat all you want.

Right, but you are aware of the concept of talking, face to face, outside of a place of work, or on a phone, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Who said they didn't have friends at work but have changed their tune now?

Everyone I know including myself have friends from work, that is my experience.

Wait, are we not going to do WFH now because we've collectively lost the ability to make friends?

No?

Then what is the point of this latest stream of anti-wfh nonsense.

Honestly, some people are so butt hurt about those that can WFH that they are scrapping the bottom of the logic and reason barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

If people want to work from home, let them be. For me working from home is a better quality of life, no fumes from the roads to deal with. I get to run a in a park where there is no traffic and better air quality. No rushing home for sports and more importantly i am more productive.

Some people want to go to the office, they can go to the office, no harm in that, that's their choice. Some of them don't have the setup at home, might live on their own etc.

If you don't like your company setup, leave or shut up. Its pretty simple.

• Advertisement

I'm with you, live and let live but others have this obsession with killing WFH. It boggles the mind.

I'm WFH and happy out, but MrsB and others seem to be put out by the fact I'll never attend an office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

One of my daughters is still working from home, but there's no plan for anything. They don't know is it permanent, will they be back to the office, will there be a hybrid. The manager is telling them he doesn't know, because his managers won't tell him. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,578 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

This can pretty much sum up the thread, it suits some, not others. Try get a job/employer which suits your own needs.

I have zero idea where you got that from.

If you are happy to WFH, have suitable facilities and do a job which is compatible with being off site - that's perfect.

But it is not a reason why WFH will work for everyone else, or should become the norm. There are many jobs and situations which are not suitable for WFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Internal memo gone around at work today... everyone back in the office from October 22nd, no exceptions. All WFH to cease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

This is exactly it. In some cases it works really well, even better than in the office. In others cases it doesn't work well. If you feel that you can work well remotely but the company/PS doesn't facilitate it, look for another job. It is really simple.

No flexibility for a day or two at home? If not, that’s definitely going to be an outlier. I’d for sure be on my way out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I have zero idea where you got that from.

Have a look back on your own post history in this thread. You don't even need to look beyond this single thread

But it is not a reason why WFH will work for everyone else, or should become the norm.

Literally nobody, anywhere, ever stated that, however, you have been acting like its been a collective mantra for the last 18 months

There are many jobs and situations which are not suitable for WFH.

Thank you Captain Obvious 🙄

Wow, if our company tried that now they'd lose half of our staff within the next few months. I assume that's not an I.T. company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,614 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Good decisions are not made during an emergency, we're still in an emergency, all rational companies will be waiting until what can/can't happen is worked out before making long term decisions. Companies going full WFH or full return to office as a matter of long term policy are taking a risk that their competitors will try and take advantage of.

We probably won't see the real long term plans till Spring next year with lots of kite flying before then and lots more studies being released.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Pointing out concerns and issues with WFH is not quite the same thing as 'killing WFH'. In some cases, it is about making sure people have safe options for them. In some cases, it about making sure that employers don't push accommodation costs onto their employees.

I've often found informal conversations to be very productive and value-adding. I've learned stuff about relevant work that other teams are doing, I've learned stuff about how best to influence other key people in the organisation. It just seems a bit Stalinist to suggest that no two people can talk together without having the entire project team in the room.

Here's an interesting angle;

That is exactly what "remote working hubs" are designed to do, provide a workspace that is local but not in the house.

Something that many could avail of if the home is unsuitable and the commute a real pain.

Well the issue there seems to be that parents have their adult "kids" in the house and they are working remotely. I can see that as a problem alright, but the kids should be in their 20's at least so should probably think about finding their own place anyway, especially if they want to WFH.

Would people be willing to pay for the use of remote working hubs though?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Great idea. I'd bet none of those kids in the 20s thought of that before. It's not like we're still in the middle of a housing crisis where it costs €2k a month to get a one bed apartment or anything.

As I've asked a number of times - who will pay for the access?

The government may provide capital to build them, but I don't believe it will fund infinite bills for heat, light, water, broadband, security and cleaning.

The employer may pay a modest charge if it means that they can make bigger savings in HQ accommodation costs.

Depending on what type of job you have it could be claimed as a legitimate business expence for tax purposes.

For some people it would still work out cheaper than the commuting costs to get to a far away office.

As I've asked a number of times - who will pay for the access?

Thats a loaded question coming from you

• Govt pays - You say OMG, this is not fair, why are our taxes being used for this
    • Employer pays - You say OMG, this is not fair, employees doing WFH are being subsidized when office attendees are not
    • Employee pays - You say OMG, this is not fair, why should the employee have to pay

How about instead, you tell us who you think should pay and why

• Advertisement

The government would hardly pay for private sector workers, that wouldn't make any sense at all. I also can't see them increasing costs by providing remote working hubs for their own staff. Some employers might do it if it means they can have a smaller office or even no office. Some startup type companies already do this. Maybe some employees would see value in paying for it themselves if the other option is a commute from Gorey to Dublin.

Advertisement