Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Higgins Praises Travellers Contribution to Irish Society

• 22-09-2021 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hawley

President Higgins said this research is extremely worrying and serves a clear reminder of the many challenges which are faced by Irish Travellers.

He continued by thanking members of the Traveller community for their role in Irish society.

“I thank you for your continued resolve to participate in that society – bravely combatting the hurtful discrimination and rejection which is so often your experience. "By working together, you have already achieved so much.

As a society we can learn a great deal from your inspiring spirit of solidarity, a spirit that reminds us of the shared sense of humanity that must define any truly democratic nation,” he added.

I fail to see what positive contribution that Travellers make to Irish society. They have very low employment rates, little interest in education and bettering themselves and are massively overrepresented in the prison population. Michael doesn't seem to care about members of the public who have to deal with them on a regular basis. The reality is that they have been pandered to by the Irish state and have offered nothing in return. Michael then blames their failings on ordinary Irish people.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Oooooooh, haven't had one of these threads in a while. This should be interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Great man for spouting sh1te is Mr President

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

In fairness, it is the last acceptable hatred in Ireland. A good whack of society think they can say what they want about travellers without recourse, you'll regularly get dehumanizing and frankly genocidal things posted on here about the travelling community. I've had my run-ins with members of the community myself, and I know many of them don't cover themselves in glory, but let's not pretend that they're not utterly pushed to the margins of society by a hell of a lot of settled folk. How nice would you be if you were born at the bottom of the social hierarchy and constantly get kicked on the way up and tried to enter polite society? You'd learn pretty quickly your neighbours in the settled community aren't exactly your friends.

Let the Two Minutes of Hate commence...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't think the problem is about getting kicked on the way up tbf. The issue is that so many don't even step on that ladder to get up.I'd actually admire someone that tried to extricate themselves from that toxic culture.

The problem is both the refusal of polite society (the president and those of that political belief) and the community itself to acknowledge that the traveller society has a large criminal element, is completely misogynistic, and does nothing for itself to improve its lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Travellers marginalise themselves, they are given every opportunity to improve themselves and reject it all in the name of culture

They are utterly indulged by media and the state in general

The traveller cause has long been a trendy pastime for WOKE leftists and Miggeldy is the nations Ayotollah of progressive diktats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I like travellers more than I like Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

Someone posted re their refusal to participate in society. That's wholly their choice. As a person from another recognised minority community that is very much marginalised and very much wants to be included and make a contribution in Irish society I sincerely wish as much time , effort and finances were put our way. It would go a long way in addressing educational, employment, healthcare, poverty and inequality issues.

Post edited by anplaya27 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

So you don't like him for refusing an invite from one minority and you don't like him for talking about the plight of another minority.

I'm sure it's convenient to put an entire section of society in a box and tar the entire group all at at once based on their ethnicity, gifting negative stereotypes to every man jack of them. Isn't there a term for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Michael D makes a point about the degree of discrimination that travellers face in Irish society. OP makes like they don’t understand the point and goes on to level all sorts of accusations at travellers as a whole… 🤔

Well done OP, well done 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

Very clever move by the OP, failing to get any traction with his "the president is a liar who won't brown nose unionists" spiel over on the partition thread, they craftily open a thread where Higgins says something sympathetic towards travellers (that'll get them all back on side!

Nicely played Hawley, absolutely no vendetta at all against Higgins;, no sirrreeeee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

It's settled people's fault that they act like this. Don't you know that by now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

No surprise that there wasn't a word about this on RTE News today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

This guy Higgins is as dangerous and divisive as Trump 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I never really had an opinion on the states mascot, but I do have one now. Bad form from Higgins imo, completely ignoring all the legitimate complaints levelled on the traveller community, complaints which are either ignored or brushed aside and their "plight" is highlighted instead. As many others have said, no problem if they want to get away from that type of life, but most don't so why should we feel sorry for them? I'll never feel sorry for anyone who targets the elderly or vulnerable. Never. They are scum (said people who target) and will never change and we'd be better off without them, should they ever leave the country....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Economics101

If you look at the historical record, Tuam has quite a history of violence at Traveller funerals. To-day's Indo has the following: Mind you the word Traveller doesn't appear.

Am I prejudiced if I jump to a certain conclusion? Good way to celebrate Traveller Pride week, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Obviously 😂

OP believes he is though. Said so in the other Michael D thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm going to restrain myself but Higgins clearly has not been exposed to the daily stunts, blatant disregard for the law, outrageous carry on across the entire country, blatant criminality, appalling anti social behaviour and just today disgraceful scenes at a grave yard.

This shower barely respect themselves let alone the rest of society. All media without exception avoid the T word when reporting incidents, RTE practically has a correspondent dedicated to covering the Discrimination, injustices angle and tbe latest silly reports on the plight of this shower.

Enda Kenny opened to flood gates for a free for all and now MDH wants us to belive T******S have contributed positively 🙄

My hole, they've contributed all right, to absolute mayhem and chaos and show absolutely nothing but contempt towards the rest of society.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

On a side note burglaries are down across Leinster

• Advertisement

Would this be something to do with a recent car crash 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,689 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's traveller pride week, so if he was going to comment, it was always going to be something positive.

Do people really think he's going to use the occasion to make negative comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

And then knock on your front door looking to sell them back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭irishproduce

And nothing from the president by way of acknowledgment to the thousands of families who are victims of traveller crime. Who carry the scars in the form of anxiety and fear and dread that a traveller will once more knock on their door and bring back all that torment.

They absolutely terrorise rural dwellers and are a constant stress in the back of people's minds. That's not right.

Traveller crime should have its own type of identification and punishment much the same as organised crime does. It should be singled out as an actual form of specific crime and be seen as an aggravating factor in punishment.

Is it remotely possible there could be such a thing as "Traveller Pride", asking for many friend's 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

not going to happen given it's not required and it would be discriminatory, not to mention that all existing legislation covers any crime that would or could be committed by the criminal element of the traveling community perfectly fine, including where that crime is organised.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

When it comes to Travellers, Peter Casey was more representative of Irish public opinion than Michael D.

I've heard they are quite adept at getting up ladders, normally involves an elderly or vulnerable person having their gutters cleared, eventually ending up having them ripped off their fixings and suddenly requiring brand new guttering installation followed by a refresh of their driveways Tarmacadam and refreshing their tool collection with Consaws, Hammer Drills, Chainsaws, etc, just in case am elderly of vulnerable person might need to do a spot of construction DIY 🤔

My blood pressure rising so better get to bed 😡😡😡

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,322 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

His result in the election coming from zero to 2nd said a lot, media tried to bury the polls and result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

The politically correct thought police require us to blame the victims. If they didn't have nice stuff they wouldn't have tempted the travellers to break in and beat them up for it. Higgins isn't standing for an election ever again so he is more worried about how he is seen by the PC Luvie brigade in D4 who will eulogize him around their dinner party tables after he heads off for the great pension in the sky.

Advertisement