Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

at 50y/o is it possible to train and qualify as an Electrician?

Options
  • 22-09-2021 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

maybe it sounds mental but it's something I'd love to have a go at

I'm an ex-IT technician of 25 years, installed plenty of racks etc. in my time, my original degree years and years ago was in Telecommunications & Electronics but I fell into the computers accidentally and kept going...love hands-on work, I'm a reasonable amateur/diy builder, metalwork, cars etc.....I'd say I have a good sense of electrical if that makes any sense

the way I look at it is I have 20 working years left on the clock and (apart from the lotto fantasy of becoming a helicopter pilot) I've always fancied the electrical trade just never had the opportunity on life's treadmill wife kids house etc.

Is it possible to do this in Ireland in any other way than a 4 year apprenticeship etc.?

like everyone else I'm seeing and hearing about all the labour shortages the building trade faces and I'm sitting here thinking "ffs I could do that!" but I can't see how a grown man of my age can get in there. I have heard of various crowds across the water that offer various training modules (paid privately) that you can stick together to get your certs. investing in some training path if it existed could be an attractive option

Any guidance appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

https://www.wit.ie/courses/beng_in_electrical_engineering

Mature student via most 3rd level colleges, 3 year degree I think will cover you off.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

^^^ No it won’t

To become a qualified electrician you must complete a 4 year apprenticeship. There is no other way.

There are a number of other requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

You may get some dispensations, based on prior experience which could reduce the apprenticeship term. There is some flexibility in the system where Solas see fit to exercise it. But you are still looking at a very significant commitment, and in honesty very few in your circumstance would go down this road.

Have you considered the electronic security industry? This is becoming increasing IP / IT orientated. It might be more up your street and possibly remunerate better.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes, I believe that under some rare circumstances dispensations have be made.

However, you need to consider that apprentices cost less than an electrical for four years, so they provide relatively cheap labour for that time. If an employer were to employ an apprentice was allowed to complete an apprenticeship in a shorter timeframe it would cost them more, what would be in it for the employer?  I can't see many employers agreeing to this, especially for someone that is well past the midpoint of their career.

I would expect that even if some sort a dispensation was permitted that the apprentice would still have to pass all of the exams.

As Lenar2556 points out you could install intruder alarms systems as no formal qualification is required. 

@martco, when you say you "have 20 working years left on the clock", I don't think many employers would entertain the idea of employing an electrician in their sixties. I don't mean to offend you with this post, it is just my opinion. Please don't think I am ageist, as it happens I am older than you!

Advertisement