Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage difficulty

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There is a basic problem with housing in Ireland and that is that the voters believe that a housing policy based on taking on huge amounts of debt or relying on social programs to provide a roof over peoples head is a good idea... so yes to a great extent you are limited in your options in may parts of the country and it is very easy to get carried along in a bubble, that is why bubbles happen.

But there are still two marketing gimmicks that you need to challenge before making a decision: getting on the property ladder and the idea that paying rent is dead money. If you take away all the hype and look at it purely from a financial point of view it can't be recommended. From an investment point of view it is high risk asset class with a poor rate of return as opposed to other asset classes and from a utility point of view you will for the most part your life be paying for over capacity.

Property bubbles are not a new thing, they have been around for a long time and they are not going away anytime soon. And for that reason people need to be very honest with themselves when making a decision:

• If you suffer a 20% loss of income, who will that impact your ability to live comfortably
    • If you buy in an out of the way location and you loose your job, how will you manage
    • If renting is an alternative what is genuinely wrong with it that would make taking on a huge financial burden a better option - dead money is not the answer. Because if it was there would be a lot of other things you would not be doing either.
    • Taking on a huge financial risk should be a reluctant last option

This should be a cold calculated decision, not something that you do because everyone is doing it. If fact when everyone is doing anything related to financial products, it is usually a time to be very cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭SuperO'B

Delighted it worked out in the end. Started reading the thread and didn't notice the year was 2014. Very happy to see at the end that it's all turned out well for you guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Fair play to you and so glad it worked out in the end!!! Do you mind me asking how did you do it? Did you continue leaving together for the next 7 years? Renting the room etc?

What are your thoughts now? Will you buy again (separately) the pair of you etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Glad it worked out, and that you came back to give an update after such a long period.

Please show your workings for renting making financial sense. Because where I am a grand a month of a mortgage will get a lot more than the same in rent. Even assuming (which is mental) that the house isn't going to be worth anything at the end.

Rents are more expensive than buying right now. That's part of what's causing prices to rise. And as long as the government keep subsidising and effectively putting a floor on rents they're going to stay extremely high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

Thank you. I don't really have a definitive answer for "how did you do it?" because so many things happened over the years. We just had to stick with it and make the best of our situation. There were definitely some dark times but we supported each other. At the time of starting this thread I really felt our future was very bleak. My brother was a bit more positive but everybody is different. Personally I thought it would never end and we were burdened for life.

My brother and I continued living together for a number of years but we also shared the house with a couple of students under a licencee agreement. Obviously that wasn't ideal as it was quite cramped at times with 4 adults under the one roof, sharing a kitchen & bathroom, but we needed the financial support. In 2017 I moved out and rented a much smaller place in Dublin with my partner. The extra payment I had towards rent each month was difficult but it was manageable due to an improving work situation. We were in our mid 30s at this stage so our lives had to progress at some point.

My brother remained in the house and eventually his partner moved in with him. They had to live with students too which was far from perfect for them but it meant we could pay our mortgage every month. We were very lucky sharing with students to be fair to them. We weren't greedy and charged under the market value for the rooms because we hoped they would be appreciative of good quality accommodation at a very fair price. Thankfully we never had an problems with the people sharing with us. The appreciative feeling was also mutual because we really would've struggled without the financial support.

Apart from the licencees we have had to be very sensible with our money. The mortgage still had to be paid every month. I wasn't reckless with my money and only spent what I needed. I have a 15 year old car and I have not been on any extravagant holidays. I can still recall days where there was no money in the account until payday and cornflakes for dinner but overall those days were few and far between. I learned that if I was careful with my money I could manage month to month. The mortgage was the priority and everything else would fall into place after that.

My thoughts now are quite mixed. My overall feeling is relief. I am so relieved that we managed to sell our house for slightly more than what we paid for it in 2006. I never thought we would see that again. For example, in 2012 the house next door sold for over 60% less than what we paid for ours. We were in a colossal amount of negative equity. In fact, as recently as 2019/20 we were still hovering around the negative equity line but in 2021 the market seems to have gone crazy. We took a chance and put our house on the market and ultimately couldn't believe the price we got for it in the end. We possibly could've gotten even more because there was a bidding war for it but we weren't greedy and took a best offer at an agreed deadline. We just wanted to progress the sale as quick as possible rather than let a bidding war drag on.

We're both renting now with our partners. I know rent is crazy money and that we're paying into something we don't own but I feel it gives me breathing space at this moment. Of course I would love to buy again but my gut is telling me to hold off for now. I am certainly no expert but I just feel the whole market is crazy right now and I don't want to get burned again. We were 15 years paying for our mistake of purchasing in 2006; I don't want to make the same mistake again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Good for you! And Good Luck in the future!!! Enjoy that breathing space for now

Advertisement