Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What a start for Lucy Quinn. Will probably go down as a keeper O.G. but 1-0 Ireland.

1-1. Another howler from Brosnan. Seem to recall she messed up in one of her previous starts. I'd rather have Moloney in goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The Livingston game was his first start of the season. When you consider he missed pre-season and he's had an injury niggle, it's hardly that surprising he wasn't match sharp. Let's see where he's at in the next few weeks.

Good play by Payne. Nearly went 2-1 up.

Scratch that. 2-1 up!

That was so jammy but we'll take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Honestly wouldn't mind if he never played for the national team again. More concerned with the highlighted bit and Scales more than likely being a Desmond signing than an Ange signing, especially when you see Bolingoli getting a start ahead of him with Taylor and Montgomery both out.

Damn. Would have been nice to go in leading at half-time. Some mad goals in this game.

Enda Stevens scores on his return from injury.

3-2 Ireland. Nice header by Louise Quinn.

Kelleher saves a pen!

Poor pen, still does well to keep it out with his legs. Omobamidele has been decent for Norwich, Idah not so much. Has been brushed off the ball a few times now as if he's a child and his tame effort on goal after Gomez just took the ball off him.

Kelleher has been decent at sweeping up balls in behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Would agree with all of that

Omobamidele is incredibly composed, looks like a lad who has been playing for years

Yea, Kelleher definitely the pick of the Irish so far, showing uncanny anticipation so far picking up the pieces of poor Liverpool defending. Omobamidele has done no wrong so far, I can only remember him misplacing one pass so far, which is good considering the high press he's up against. Idah has been pretty disappointing, lots of huff and puff, but he never looks threatening. Hopefully that changes for him in the second.

Louise Quinn has been immense in this game.

Ireland beat Australia 3-2. Great result that will hopefully bring a bit of confidence for the qualifier with Sweden next month. The two Quinns played well, Payne impressed up top, McCabe good as usual with some dangerous deliveries, Finn strong in midfield. Only concern for me would be the goalkeeper spot as you never knew what would happen whenever the ball went near Brosnan. Fans did their part too and I'd say there will be a strong turnout for the qualifier on the back of this. Positive stuff all round.

Idah needs to drop a level for regular football, even League One at this stage. Kenny in the stands today, but on this performance it's hard to justify him being in the Irish team. Even if we have no one else that plays that role McGoldrick did. Probably coming off for Pukki here.

Edit: Hopefully with Pukki up front with him we see more from Idah in the last 20.

Irish lads doing well with Preston at least.

Rafferty scores after a Cunningham assist.

Maguire scores after a Rafferty assist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Kelleher had a good game all things considered. Good pen save, and good sweeper keeping.

Omobamidele was the best of their back 3, it's a pity the rest of the Norwich cb's are poor as he's always going to be in a struggling team. Playing beside Hanley just makes everything so much harder.

Idah was poor for the most part. Didn't get the better of either Gomez or Konate and wasted his late chance to score or assist with a poor finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I'm starting to get a real Shane Long vibe from Idah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I'm getting more of a Liam George vibe. Better in articles than on the pitch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Agreed, works hard and holds up play well but never looks like scoring a goal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Idah was in the championship last year and barely got a look in. Hard to know where he should go. They seem to like him as a back up in Norwich

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I wonder if there'll be a chance of Evan Ferguson getting a few minutes tonight for Brighton. I'm starting to sense that he'll be our main/only hope as a goalscorer in the next few years.

Ya he appears to be fourth choice now behind Teemu, Sargent and Tzolis. He's not gonna get anything bar 5 minute sub appearances here and there if he remains there for the season. Best case scenario is they go in for another forward player in January and he's loaned out somewhere. He's not EPL by a decent stretch, yet. Still had lots of time on his side though.

• Advertisement

One thing I will say to back Idah up is Liverpool probably have the best CBs in the league. Konate would start for all teams in the league but has his injury issues, and Gomez is a top class CB too, and will be England's best CB over the next number of years if he stays injury free. The lads always gonna struggle against two top class CBs when he hardly plays and Norwich are poor.

Yeah that last chance was frustrating. In the first half he tamely hit it at Kelleher when he should have put his laces through it. Ok maybe he couldn't get it out of his feet to really strike it, but that second half shot he just tried to put his laces through it and hit it straight at the keeper when he should have tried placing it in one of the corners. Again that probably comes with a lack of playing experience but still frustrating as hell.

Kenny is gonna find it hard to justify starting him if all our strikers are fit next month. Don't think Idah being the better with his back to goal is gonna cut it as a good enough reason to start him. Norwich only have two games before the break and he'll probably feature in none after last night.

But he needs to get out playing regularly. Farke can keep saying he's not ready for regular senior football but he'll never be ready if he's picking splinters from his hole. Dropping to league one in January would be beneficial for him at this stage over sitting on the bench.

Post edited by johnnyryan89 on

Like Obafemi I think Idah needs to leave and look elsewhere. Norwich are a yo-yo club and once Pukki leaves they'll need to bring in someone else to replace him big time if they want to remain a yo-yo club. 55 goals in 84 games and 14 assists in two championship seasons. That's an unbelievable return for a striker who wasn't up to much for most his career before moving to Norwich.

Tzolis is really a winger so I'd say he's third choice, but they spent 10m on Sargent so they'll definitely want to see a return from him given they bring guys in and try sell them on for a bigger profit at times. But they'll definitely be looking at another striker next year or definitely the year after that when Pukkis contract is up.

Might find himself on the bench if Brighton don't want to risk Welbeck or Maupay getting injured. Connolly should hopefully start and would be good to see Ferguson even just on the bench, he's the best striker so far this season with the U23s.

Hopefully we see Connolly and Obafemi starting tonight.

Trent Kone Doherty is the young lad that had the shoot which Okosun tapped in for the third. Plays for Derry's U15s.

• Advertisement

Far too early for anyone to be pinning their hopes on Ferguson if you ask me. There's obviously something there if he was brought on from the bench for a League Cup match. At the same time, the PL2 level he's been playing at is dreadful and not much of a barometer that he'll make the step up. Until he's playing at senior level and has goals to his name, he's nothing more than a potential prospect.

The one to be watching at Brighton tonight is Connolly. He'll probably get a rare start, so it's vital that he puts his numerous form/fitness/disciplinary issues aside and plays well tonight. If he doesn't start showing something for Brighton soon, they'll probably be back in the market for a striker in January.

Think the U15s have a second game against Montenegro.

Ya I don't disagree with any of that. There's quite clearly some talent there he just needs minutes and he's not going to get that at Norwich this season.

Hoping Connolly and Obafemi both start tonight and Kenny is there to watch. I know doesn't fancy Obafemi that much from the U21s but he's now playing in a club formation that we also play.

Don't think this was mentioned but Pym could be out the door come January. Supposedly he threw a boot at Ferguson in the dressing after the match, or its probably a story that grew legs given Fergie kicking a boot and hitting Beckham. But Ferguson says Pym overstepped the mark and will rather sign a free agent if the new number one gets injured rather than give Pym a game.

Nearly makes it 3-0. He'll get his hat trick before the nights out, or possibly more.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

How are you watching it, could you please PM me? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wasn't any streams as far as I know from Brighton groups.

"only" the two for Connolly, subbed later on. Furlong didn't come on.

Pretty big deflection on the first but an excellent finish for the second. Hopefully he can push on a little and get some more first team minutes now.

• Advertisement

Two league games left before the internationals, hopefully now he'll get minutes off the bench to make an impact.

Robinson still a concern that he's only played 97 minutes in the last three games. Covid seems to have hit him hard.

Hopefully we can go into this window with no injury concerns for once.

McCarthy just played a peach of a pass there to assist Celtic to go 1-0 up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Liam Scales makes his Celtic debut with 30 mins left

That was promising, and hopefully it dispels any notions that the only reason he's there is because of his Irish/Shamrock Rovers connections.

He didn't look at all out of place in his 30 minute cameo. He was eager to get on the ball, happy to play in a very advanced position on the left hand side, was comfortable with the ball at feet, but still possessed the athleticism to get up and down the wing when required to cover for a few minor mistakes he made. I know it's only Raith Rovers, and it's early days, but I am fairly confident that Scales is going to get starts for Celtic this season. Also, it does sound like Ange sees something in him as he's made all the matchday squads, but feels that he just needs time to build up fitness to be able to compete in the SPL.

With both McClean and Stevens are getting on, hopefully this is the start of something for Scales to lay his claim to the left back position in the Ireland team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Yeah he looked comfortable when he came on, the LB spot is up for grabs at the minute with Taylor out and probably even when he returns so hopefully Scales will get a chance to stake a claim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Is there any truth to the rumour that Conor Bradley, the young Liverpool defender, is thinking of switching to us from the north?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He's already played a senior competitive international (against the Swiss in a world cup qualifier), so he's ruled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Thought they changed that rule,doesn't matter if it's a competitive game so long as not in a world cup tournament game (I'm guessing qualifiers dont count) and the player is under 21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Thanks, I thought he only had a friendly appearance. Best of luck to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just took a look - the new rule is a bit different than that, hadn't actually noticed this change myself! So, it seems a tournament appearance instantly locks you into the country. Competitive internationals (qualifiers or nations league) do still lock you in - but only after 3 appearances instead of just the 1, if you're under 21.

Would be a brave man to switch after playing in a WC Qualifier though... I'm still angry at Rice for switching after he'd played senior friendlies!

<edit>

actually, it seems the rules are as I initially thought - the above is true, but they are still largely locked in by their nation. To switch, they have to go without playing internationally for 3 years - so Bradley couldn’t play for us for 3 years as his competitive cap was recent. So it’s a real exceptional process rather than a simple switch over.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement