Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ivermectin discussion

Options

Comments

Or maybe it got them so sick from a sheer concoction of mixed medicines that they simply stopped being able to move around super spreading :) Hard to say without an actual study. But unfortunately actual studies show very little utility with Ivermectin - and somehow the studies that do show positives are the poor ones and the studies that show no benefit at all are the well run ones.

I wrote a review of that fact earlier in the thread and one guy moaned I had left out all the positive evidence before they ran away without saying what any of that actually was :/

But sending out a concoction of medicines - without studies on how they might interact in the larger population - strikes me as massively risky and irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Gosh. You mean there were other thing in the kit which you know, might have helped with Covid and it wasn't all down to Ivermectin?

What were the chances...

When they sent the kits out, was there anything else happening in Uttar Pradesh? You know, lockdowns, curfews etc etc

Ivermectin is a hail mary, or whatever the equivalent is in Uttar Pradesh.

Sometimes desperate punts work, maybe they got lucky with Ivermectin, maybe Ivermectin did help.

It's informed by desperation not researched science. And pointing to Uttar Pradesh as any kind of proof Ivermectin helped is similar hit and hope.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

I know using bleach is extreme but I use it as an example of the dangers of pseudo science for exactly that reason. I don't think anybody is pushing bleach on this thread. Thankfully drinking bleach is stupid and most people are clued in enough to recognise that. However Invecterim is more sophisticated. It is approved for use in humans. However not for Covid treatment. Many of the tactics used to persuade people to drink bleach are the same as less dangerous drugs. Its a very good tool for educating people on the pitfalls of listening to pseudo science.

33 cases on a given day with 0.1% positivity in a population of 212 million.

An open mind is needed in a pandemic and to learn from others.

More people have died of covid in USA than 1918 pandemic that killed 50 million worldwide.

FDA response is to ban ivermectin and call it a treatment only for animals.

If doctors want to prescribe and people want to take why would fda get involved.

"People are not taking the vaccine in big enough numbers, lets stop ivermectin presciptions"

FDA could be neutral and saw we dont endorse but we are not going to stop doctors using their own judgement

in the middle of a wave.

I find it disgusting to be honest.

Playing politics with peoples lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You really should try to let this go. For a while you seemed to accept that we should wait to see what comes out of the Oxford trial but now it's back to the big bad FDA and by implication all the other co-conspirators.

• Advertisement

It's not playing politics. If people aren't taking the (proven) vaccine and taking (unproven) Ivermectin instead then the it is the responsibility of the authorities to take action. A doctor giving Ivermectin to someone who won't take a vaccine is playing russian roulette with that person's life. It's abdicating science and medical responsibility and replacing it with a desperate punt. It's not the FDA's role to be neutral. And it is not a doctor's role to give false hope and pander to nonsense.

There is no real evidence that Ivermectin is an effective covid treatment or preventative. In the US they have vaccines and other proven treatments such as steroids, antibodies, etc etc. The FDA must act according to that scientific reality.

I give the doctors in Uttar Pradesh who might have not access to such medicines a free pass for taking a punt on Ivermectin.

But doctors in America? The FDA is right to step in.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

If I say "they wouldn't" you say "Ah-hah! Gotcha! Ivermectin cannot possibly be effective!"

If I say "because they're currently developing a new drug that would be in patent and therefore much more profitable" you say "Ah-hah! Gotcha! You're just a conspiracy theorist!"

If I say "because Merck has a large amount of capital invested in Moderna, and an effective therapeutic could put the kibosh on that much more lucrative revenue stream" you go to the conspiracy theorist thing again.

You see how that's a no-win situation for me, when you are utterly and completely convinced, in the absence of any definitive proof, that Ivermectin does not and cannot work for Covid-19?

Merck didn't say Ivermectin was not effective. They did not run any studies on it. They said there was no meaningful evidence of it effectiveness in Covid-19 therapy or prevention. And that's what the issue is here, because there isn't any definitive answer one way or the other, yet.

What is becoming clearer by the day is that the mRNA therapies act more as a pre-loaded therapeutic than any type of traditional vaccine, so we are going to need to find additional therapeutics if we want to stop people dying, regardless of their vaccination status. And double-plus-pro-vax people are going to have to let go of "the vaccine is the full and complete answer and anything else is blasphemous snake oil".

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Search the thread for how many times dexamethasone has been mentioned.

Both as an alternative treatment and as proof of the whole nonsense about not repurposing other drugs.

A 1500 patient independent trial via McMasters run in Brazil abandoned due to no efficacy from Ivermectin as a treatment.

But you keep doubling down on it if you want to.

They have no right to step in the doctor/patient relationship.

Its a political decision to try and increase vaccine uptake thinking ivermectin use is a drag on vaccine uptake.

Its a proven safe drug over more than 40 years.

Drugs are reporposed every day by doctors.

FDA got into involved not about the drug itself but that thinking drugs such as ivermectin/fluvoxamine are a drag on vaccine rates.

History will not be kind to FDA.

Ivermectin is not the reason USA has poor vaccine uptake.

Of course they do, and it's absurd to suggest otherwise. Evidently they have the right do so, or their decision would have be challenged and stopped in the courts.

They are the FDA.

Ivermectin is not proven as a safe treatment for covid, or preventative for covid, in the doses that are esposued on the internet for such purposes. It is not a proven safe drug in that regard. All drugs have side effects, including Ivermectin, 'safe' is a factor of benefit v side effects.

• Advertisement

Well the problem is your point about them developing a new drug instead at best shows a lack of understanding of the pharmaceutical industry and at worst its pure and utter conspiracy. Developing a new drug generally takes a long time, takings a huge investment to develop mass manufacturing, develop the supply chain. In short its an incredibly expensive and risky process. The vast majority of new drugs don't make it to market as they fail some where in development.

Repurposing a new drug is relatively cheap and risk free in comparison as you have the vast majority of the required supply chain already in place. So if a company is given the choice between guaranteed money(Repurposing an existing drug) and potentially no money(developing a new drug) and the potentially no money option involves a lot more time and money its obvious they'll go with the cheaper less risky option.

Of course there is the potential that Invecterim could be found to effective against Covid however you can literally say that about anything. You can't prove a negative. Until then its an unlicensed drug for treatment in Ireland and no one should be taking it. Thats why I call it snake oil a scam etc, what else you expect me call the promotion of a drug for a treatment its not approved for.

Which is what is happening currently:

FDA are on the wrong side of this.

Micro managing doctors.

They will fail and look hopeless in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I mean this stuff is easy ...

Last month in Ohio, a judge ordered a hospital to treat coronavirus patient Jeffrey Smith with ivermectin after his wife sued, alleging that the facility refused to give her husband the drug despite his having a doctor’s prescription. This month a different judge reversed that order after Smith’s wife and the doctor who prescribed the ivermectin failed to provide “convincing evidence” at a court hearing to show that the drug could significantly improve his condition.

Butler County Judge Michael Oster Jr. argued that “judges are not doctors or nurses.”

Classic case of Muppetry . They'll take some experimental crap because tucker Carlson told them it's grand but not the trialled and tested and verified vaccine.

Neither Julie Smith nor her husband have been vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2, she told the court, saying that the vaccine was “experimental” and she didn’t trust it. “We didn’t feel confident it had been out long enough,” she testified.

Sam McConkey article today.

Reasonably balanced and what you would expect.

I've no problem with his opinion.

He wants more evidence until majority of doctors would prescribe.

He just shows this drug is not disappearing any time soon in relation to covid.

Its been talked about for a year and interest is only growing by the day.

Indias cases being on the floor is worth a look in itself.

Growing where ?

Earlier in the thread you were saying it was great for developing countries. Now you quoting and heralding fools in wealthy countries who have free no cost access to the best vacines available.

It's nonsense. So much mental gymnastics. What will be the next project when this all flitters out ?

John Campbell all over the Indian story.

Apparently the WHO have noted this region as of interest in relation to covid cases and have included it on their website.

Are you actually John ?

Genuine question. Seems to be Hocking the videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Why is this topic so personal to you and others, you fight tooth and nail over it. It's the sickest sight of team choosing I've ever seen and nothing but tribalism. Instead of discussing what's in front of you, it's childish schoolyard behaviour and asking someone if they even know an Indian person. Take a step back and look at it.

Developing a new drug generally takes a long time, takings a huge investment to develop mass manufacturing, develop the supply chain. In short its an incredibly expensive and risky process. The vast majority of new drugs don't make it to market as they fail some where in development.

Yeah. All good points. Completely negated, of course, by the $1.5bn grant they got from the US govt to develop said new drug. 🤷‍♀️

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

What's dexamethasone got to do with anything in the post you replied to?

Therapeutic works for severe, ventilated Covid patients? Good. Not sure what you're after.

There are people here who seem to think it's the work of satan to suggest that anything other than mRNA injections and vaccinations work against Covid. You're not one of them? Congratulations on not being thick, I guess. Doesn't change the fact that a lot of people do post as though they think that way.

"Doubling down" is a weird way to say "waiting on current trials to wrap up" but whatever floats your boat.

• Advertisement

It still doesn't guarantee it will succeed. The new drug could fail testing. The 1.5 billion is meaningless if it fails testing. If you say the FDA would approve it regardless your back to conspiracy theories.

If Invecterim was effective at treating Covid, it wouldn't take much to get it to market. It's a known quantity in many respects however not when it comes to Covid. And again the supply chain infrastructure is largely already in place. Thats the time consuming bit.

If Invecterim was really effective Merck would take the money from Invecterim now and until the new drug is not only FDA approved but also is manufactured in sufficient quantities to be more profitable than Invecterim. Its the most profitable option. Take the 1.5 billion and pocket the Invecterim profits win win. But of course they don't because knowingly promoting an ineffective drug would end them up in court.

Look if you think I am a troll report me the mods and let them decide. If you have to resort to picking holes in spelling it just indicates you are out of arguments

Clearly haven't a clue of the definition buddy. I'm here since 2008. Although there appears to be a multitude of reregs around these days .

He's said he's vacinated. Where did I say he didn't. Can you pinpoint specifically be specific.

Cheers

Why do you keep spelling it "Invecterim"?

Anyway, what you have here is your own assumptions and suspicions. Same as me. And since Ivermectin is still in trial for Covid, we're not going to know for a bit, either way. I don't see how being hostile to a specific drug that may or may not work benefits anyone. You're not going to convince the doctors who are advocating it on the back of the existing evidence and their own experience, and you're certainly not going to convince the very small number of people who are ingesting horse paste. So you're left preaching to people whose view is "wait and see", which makes you come off as a bit too hard-line, considering that, once again, the jury is still out.

Well it's obvious dexamethasone has everything to do with the post I replied to, because it shows up both that other therapeutics are being used AND that despite Dexamethasone being an off patent drug it was tested, proven as effective and repurposed as a covid treatment. Despite all the nonsense about big business economics you continue to repeat and 'double down' on.

It's not that Ivermectin isn't in use because of some economics angle along those lines. Or Dexamethasone wouldn't be in use.

It's because it is not a proven treatment, and even indepedent proper trials focused on tested Ivermectin as a treatment such as as the McMasters one in Brazil have shown no benefit from its use.

Dexamethasone is the inconvenient truth which shows the real reasons Ivermectin isn't in use.

Let's wait on current trials to wrap up by all means. Until then the scientific reality is that Ivermectin is unproven and and should be treated as such by medical professionals.

If apparently there are people here who think it's the work of Satan to shutdown Ivermectin can you find the posts demonstrating same where people say - no, don't run proper trials into Ivermectin? It should be easy, if your claim is true.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,488 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Woody79 is now threadbanned

Simple typo and just not noticing the repeated typo(the joys of predictive text saving incorrect spelling). Nothing malicious.

But jury is not still out thats the thing. Given the hype around it there could be trials on going until the end of the pandemic and people like yourself will keep saying its wait and see when it isn't. In Ireland pushing Ivermectin is irresponsible and has resulted in one person ending up in hospital. As @odyssey06 points out Ivermectin is unproven and such not be promoted for Covid treatment. If we get updated data and changes things fair enough. But until then pushing Invecterim as a Covid treatment is pushing pseudo science/snake oil/what ever you want to call promoting unproven medical treatments. I appreciate you don't like that terminology. But what else do you call pushing and recommending unproven treatments be used on humans outside tightly controlled scientific trials.

What is also extremely worrying and you see it in this thread is that Invecterim an unproven Covid treatment is pushed as alternative to proven treatments ie vaccines and or preventative measures ie masks. All things with far more evidence of effectiveness. In case of Vaccines you are looking at millions if not billions of doses across the multitude of Vaccines approved worldwide.

Nobody is pushing or recommending anything. People are discussing Ivermectin and emerging stories/data about it.

Anyway, too much reporting and stuff in this thread now. I'm out. Enjoy.

• Advertisement

A shame to see you leaving the thread MilkyToast as I am still awaiting a reply to my post to you on - I think - the 10th of September where you did a misrepresentative "hit and run" lash out at my post without anything substantive in your response - and I was hoping you planned to return with said substance at some point.

Not a reply to you Woody - since you can no longer reply on the thread - but a reply to the concept that this "Dr." (I have not yet spent the time to confirm he actually is one) is "all over" such a story.

This guy makes 20 minute long videos where he manages to use a lot of words to say almost nothing at all. The video above for example is almost entirely him just reading out the content of someone else's report. He does not really comment in any substantive way on the contents however. He does not really say what he thinks they did right. He certainly did not point out anything that problematic save for one point in the video where he points out that one graph was "correlative" only.

He reported before on the Irish Government Report on Vitamin D and there too he said very little of note. But what he did say was awful. He commented on the strength of references and studies in the report that were actually truly awful. He noticed zero methodological or other flaws in the report and lauded praise on really awful parts of the report.

In neither video - this one here or the Vitamin D one - did he seek to break down any of the methodologies used in the report, comment on how the report was compiled or what systems were used in evaluation - or differentiated between the types of references (such as self reported studied compared against - say - double blind controlled placebo trials).

So all in all I would caution against using this guys video as a source for anything really. He says almost nothing. What he does say shows how little training and knowledge he has in statistical analysis or epidemiology. At best - if you are hard of sight and need people to read things for you - his channel is useful as he reads things out loud for you. But other than that I can not see anything in the videos I have seen so far where he says a single thing of any use to anyone.

Advertisement