Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deathloop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Enjoying it so far , tried to play as Julianna but couldn't get into a game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looking like this game is a total mess on PC. Wondering if it's denuvo or the actual engine. I remember having severe issues with Dishonored 2 on launch. Had a new top end pc and was getting less than 10 frames per second. Could be the void engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭The Phantom Pain

Someone uploaded the full soundtrack including the Julianna invasion music in the Complex @ 4:15 of this video. Man, when that uptempo version comes on and she alerts everyone to your presence over the speakers and the entire place goes full chaos it's such a rush. All the carefully planned stealth goes out the window and it's just pure survival and instinct.  This soundtrack is up there for me with Nier Automata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Had very little interest in this game but the reviews and Smyth's vouchers I have, have persuadede. On my way to drop kids to the pavillion and I'll hit Smyths on my way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Threw a few hours into it last night. Have progressed to where I can infuse and start following proper leads etc.

The game is fantastic so far. Only issue is it can be very difficult to track enemies, and maps of the areas are near pointless. The nail gun is ridiculously OP though, which I'm really thankful for.

Really wish the game was third-person though. I generally dislike first-person games which involve platforming, climbing and shooting. Most of my deaths so far have been from falling into water due to mis-judging a jump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Okay, with all the kerfuffle with this recently, I decided to check it out and it actually sounds class. But then, so did Dishonored and I couldn't get into either of those games (didn't give them a good enough go probably but they didn't grab me). I don't know what it is about Arkane games and me but really really want to try this.

Got the platinum last night but will be hopping in later as Julianna to go and ruin more people's run. 😆 Not sure how saving works online or whether the aforementioned cheeses apply.  

Would just like to flex that I also totally called that Julianna was Colt's father earlier in the thread. 

I think the biggest disservice that can be done to Deathloop is comparing it to Dishonoured - which is a great franchise but feels very different. The only thing it borrows from Dishonoured are some of the powers and the play-your-way aspect at its most basic layer. Otherwise the concept is entirely different.

In some ways it's like a looter shooter RPG. A lot of the deluxe pre-order content like the silenced tribunal can actually be dropped by an enemy and it's one of the best weapons. All the weapons have different fixed perks and you can do entire runs where you're just farming for powers.  There are the sometimes untracked little discoveries like Charlie's games that are reminiscent of the riddler challenges in the Batman Arkham series, except the reward is often a weapon or a trinket. There's the invasion multiplayer in which  you can go into other people's games and ruin their day and you get more weapons and cosmetics the better you do. The whole 60s tone and vibe of it is completely different too. The tutorial opening might put you off (like I said in my first impressions it won't be for everyone) but once the game opens up and you're free to chase whatever lead you want it's an absolute banger.

Just wait until you get the silenced version of it. 😉

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be honest, I've been struck by how similar to Dishonoured it is. There's a lot of the fundamental gameplay mechanics that are identical, and the basic sneaking/planning is very similar moment to moment (although that's true of many immersive sims). Even visually it's quite similar - things like the shutters used to show which doors you can't go through immediately reminded me of Dishonoured.

What's interesting is how they've changed the formula. Bodies disappearing instantly adds a major point of difference, and shows the focus on more action. The structure also suggests to me designers working out a reason to have players try different approaches to the same content. With Dishonoured many (myself included) will have played through the campaign one way and been done with it. This game's repetition pretty much demands you explore more to keep things interesting.

I am enjoying it plenty so far, now that it's settled into its groove. The tutorial is clunky as hell at times and way too long, and the menus / UI needed another few passes as they're an absolute mess at the moment (cursor navigation on console 👎🏻). It's also far more linear / hand-holdy in its objectives than I expected. Not entirely sold on whether the locations are interesting enough to keep revisiting over and over. But it certainly has plenty going for it, and it's certainly fun figuring out some of the secrets the games hold. It is very Dishonoured IMO, but it's always interesting to see a familiar style from a fresh design perspective.

Deathloop is to Dishonoured as Bloodborne is to Dark Souls - an action-focused take on a very familiar formula.

Yeah, no. Don't agree. You would have to be going out of your way to ignore a lot of the other features and how they fundamentally changes how you play to conclude it's just "action-focused Dishonoured".

The menus/UI are easy to navigate imo. I always knew what to look for when I remembered something specific I wanted to track. I don't know how they could have streamlined that any more - do you have any suggestions?

Don't agree that it's handholdy either. It gives you something to work with but the way I played it I discovered there are plenty of hidden stuff that completely change how you approach each run (without giving away spoilers).

Well I'm intrigued about, have it reserved for collection tomorrow, looking forward to giving it a lash at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Yeah, bit of a shame that because when you can get into a match it's really entertaining. Julianna has no visual HUD of where the exit tunnels are or certain objectives. For instance, if Colt manages to hack the antenna you have to remember what tunnels are open, where  and at that particular time of day. You also really do need to know the map inside out or listen out for certain audio cues from your ally NPCs. For instance, I know that when a certain visionary starts a speech that Colt must be in that specific area because that convo only triggers when Colt can witness it. Or suddenly seeing a bunch of hacked cameras and open doors in the area is also a dead giveaway. It encourages you to play clever and really get into the mind of your prey. Colt is at an advantage gear wise and he has more lives  but the moment he interacts with anything he gives away his position. The most entertaining part is watching the Colt player panic and get themselves killed doing something stupid without you even having to try lol.

It does have a flaw whereby it's almost always better just to camp the antenna because you don't know what the player's goals are that day but you know they have to at least hack the antenna to escape.  

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I never said it was just an action-focused Dishonoured, but I do think it feels remarkably like a faster version of that game in much of the minute to minute gameplay :) I mean, all the powers - pivotal to how we play the game - are borrowed directly from that D1+2 with a few tweaks here and there. But certainly all the structural things, the tone and lots of small details ensure this has significant points of difference to Arkane’s most famous series. It’s a mix of the new and familiar - again, similar to Bloodborne / Sekiro.

UI wise I just think a lot of info is buried under layers of menus and submenus. There’s lots of poorly explained icons scattered throughout the menus - for example, the way some objectives have an extra triangular emphasis or the separate icons for non-infused and equipped items. I’m not a UI designer so can only say it feels a bit confusing to use - albeit one Ive adjusted to as I progress. I’d certainly make navigating menus non-cursor based or at the very least have the cursor snap to different boxes as appropriate. I think there’s also some unnecessary ‘hold button for a second too long to do this prompt’ bits - not always instinctively clear you need to hold down a particular button rather than just press it. Also think the way some of the tutorial text pops up in little white text in the middle of the screen was awkward. It just feels somewhat unpolished and messy in some UI details - partially a result of lots of interlocking systems to illustrate, but I definitely don’t think it’s particularly controller friendly with its free-moving cursor (ironically, I’ve heard some PC users complain the interface seems too console focused 🤷🏻‍♂️).

The ‘detective’ angle has certainly come more to the forefront as I dig deeper, and I’m really enjoying it. I do think the game fills in a lot of the blanks for you before you even have a chance to do it yourself, and ultimately by default the game gives you lots of overt objectives about what you can do next - ‘handholdy’ in that sense. BUT there’s still plenty of satisfaction to be found in putting the many pieces in the right place, figuring out little puzzles, and digging up secrets. If it’s a little bit less satisfying than say Outer Wilds or Obra Dinn in that sense, it’s still fantastic to see bigger games embrace some of the design lessons and choices from those games.

Had a quick go, just got to the start of the complex, man I love Colt already, what a great character. Really liking the premise and looking forward to it opening up like ye say. Had some bad freezing issues in the first section but i read that stop happening and my ps5 makes a weird noise during loading screens.

I usually turn off haptics and vibration in games but loving it in this, great use of it for the weapons.

I think you might be mulling over the wrong details. The discovery element lies not in the what; it’s the how. Kindafunny explains it way better than I ever could (no spoilers from). From 51:50 to 59:51:

It also is somewhat amusing that you claim the game is handholdy but struggled to navigate the impressively simplistic menus (seriously, how Arkane managed to organise all the leads and discoveries in a way that could be so easily tracked is unthinkable). Now, of course menus and UI are QOL issues and so should be handholdy in the sense that it should be easy to use. No one should have to suffer through convoluted menu systems but even I personally had no issues – and I am admittedly not the quickest minded person when it comes to that sort of thing at all.  I also don't understand what you're referring to by "extra triangular emphasis". Again, could you elaborate? Do you mean the objectives that have the white diamond shapes next to them? Also, what do you mean when you say "separate icons" for non-infused and equipped icons? Equipped items have a hand icon on them. Non-infused items have the hourglass on them. You'll know this because the 'infuse gear' tab has an hourglass on it and the 'sort' button below enables you to see only non-infused gear which all have an hourglass on them. If you attempt to infuse gear that has already been infused you won't get the option to do so.  If you equip a non-infused item it will have both the hour glass and the hand icon on them... Or are you talking about the separate menus for the equipped and non-infused items? Because the obvious reason for that is so that you don't accidentally sacrifice items you want to equip.. It was also obvious to me what needed to be held down and what required just a tap. Again, I genuinely don't know how they could have made it any easier to navigate.

Just to stress, it's not the menu / UI I find handholdy (although obviously it influences the UI prompts) - it's the way information and objectives are handled in gameplay. I think the game often puts 2 + 2 together for the player before they even have a chance to really have that 'aha!' moment for themselves :) A lot of the investigation work is automated, with the game always highlighting the right critical path for the player. I understand why they settled on that as a design choice, of course, just means the 'aha' moments aren't quite the thrill of an Obra Dinn revelation or similar game. Still think it's a lot of fun sneaking around and often seeing what Cole's seeing for the first time too, especially when you're a step ahead of what the game's going to add to your list of intel, leads and objectives.

And yes I still believe the menus are messy and confusing at first - I have absolutely adjusted to them, albeit simply because it's what's in front of me. I do think it's counter-intuitive to have an icon for an item that's equipped and an item that's not infused right beside each other, for example - I understand it now that I've played the game, just think it's a clunky design choice. With triangular emphasis, I mean this little icon beneath the second objective. Looks visually messy to me on top of the diamond icon:

None of these are anywhere near gamebreakers, and if it seems like I'm nitpicking it's simply to explain my issues - I've adjusted to them, and certainly don't underestimate the task the designers had in pulling everything together. But I also can't deny the first hour or two and first real dig around in the menus felt a tad unpolished and clunky to me - you're more than free to disagree. Thankfully, it's a damn good game overall and I'm thoroughly enjoying my time with it - although the cursor-based navigation is still shite ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Cordell

So far the best game I've played this year bar Ancient Gods part 2 which I don't consider a full game.

Think I'm close to zeroing in on the main plan of attack. Only thing I'm having trouble with is trying to remember which codes etc I might need and whether or not they change every loop.

I've only been playing single player, but man even when the AI Julianna invades, the tenseness goes through the roof.

I do really like that Juliana and the other visionaries only take a few hits to go down (or indeed can be stealth killed if you play your cards right). They obviously have their skills to give them an edge over the randoms, but feels very satisfying that they’re not overpowered bullet sponges.

I understood exactly what you meant with regards to the hand holding pertaining to the detective gameplay. That's why I said the reason you're calling it handholdy in that regard is because you're expecting the eureka moments in the wrong places. Like I said, the discovery is in the how, not the what. The kindafunny clip explains my point beautifully.

I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the picture with the right angled triangle. I mean really, JU, was it really that jarring initially? Come on. 😂  Also, it's super useful for those who have accessibility barriers, particularly those with poor eye sight in a game that, admittedly, is really lacking in accessibility options. Sure, it's not the most elegant way of emphasising a tracked quest but it gets the job done.

I'm just going to assume that when you say the equipped/non infused right "next to each other" you mean the hand icon and the hourglass icon appearing on an equipped item that's also not infused, but you still haven't explained why it's counter-intuitive.

I get that it's your opinion but to call the menus an "absolute mess"? I dunno. I reserve descriptions for that for menus like Cyberpunk or Anthem. I was surprised at how quickly I clicked with the menus tbh.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I wouldn't be a huge fan of some of the menu and UI design either. The menu when it comes to sorting out trinkets can be a pain, especially later in the game when you can collect so many in one map (Including multiples of same). Plus not being able to check what the weapon trait is on your weapon while in the game (other than dropping your weapon by picking up another one). That one annoyed me a few times.

It's all manageable, but just feels clunky at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I don't play many first person games, find myself getting disorientated too easily. But couldn't resist this based on the style in previews and then glowing reviews. Couple of hours in and zero regrets so far. Colt is a cracking character, could have been written by Tarantino. There's a genuine sense of multiple ways of doing stuff, yet you can follow the highlighted objectives if getting stuck or looking for something more linear. Looking forward to diving further in

Broke the loop. Really loved it. By the time all the pieces fall into place its actually quite easy because you'll have been through the areas and enacted the parts of the plan a few times before doing it as a whole.

Hardest part is just Julianna and her tendency to show up at the worst moments (usually with Havoc too making her a bit of a bullet sponge).

Still finding new side quest items as I was going along too, some things I want to see how they play out or what the rewards are. Plus I haven't tried playing as Julianna yet either.

There's still stuff I'm discovering all the time. Like the guy in Karl's Bay playing guitar on the high rock:

If you don't kill him and observe him throughout the entire loop he eventually improves and starts playing like a badass.

btw really like this song that plays in Fristad Rock:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Probably come back to it when it's patched up.......way too many lockups resulting in game exits to be really enjoyable. Still at the point of it of waiting for it to grab me in any case........want to like it given what seems to be popular opinion with regard to its inventiveness, despite the rudimentary UI, but too many bugs at play for now.

• Advertisement

No issues so far on PC bar some NPCs rubberbanding/teleporting which is weird considering I play offline.

juliannashotme unlocks the public beta channel on Steam, just in case.

Never had issues as Colt, but twice now playing as Julianna I've gotten stuck in the landscape and unable to move, making me easy pickings for Colt (as it usually happens while I'm trying to dodge, duck, dip, dive and... dodge during a fight).

Playing as Julianna kinda sucks too. As most players play stealthily it can take ages trying to find Colt. And then it's usually over pretty quickly.

Not for me. There's nowhere a player Colt can hide from me. 😜

I remember somebody tried to camp under Aleksis manor with mines and tripwires.  Couldn't see the Colt player but the mines were a dead giveaway and seeing as I knew the manor pretty well I figured they were likely just camping there expecting me to try and shoot or defuse the mines.   The silly moo didn't seem to clock that they were surrounded by gas tanks so I just shot the tanks and the next thing I knew I got the notification that the player was dead. 

If you know the maps well the player Colt is easy to find and extremely predictable.

Also, place a mine next to the antenna or the tunnels. They tend to panic on their last life and try to escape without thinking. Got someone just now doing that lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Niska

Broke the loop last night - really enjoyed the game. Goo d mixture of the what I liked about Dishonored series (the powers and open world / open path maps) and nice gunplay. Nice progression of power as you advance, until that magic point where you feel the minions are trivial (but don't get cocky, kid).

Will give Julianna a go this evening and might go back to some areas to find all the secrets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I pretty much ignored this game for the last couple of years as the marketing seemed really off, however i impulsively bought it at the weekend due to no other PS5 tickling my fancy and I'm really enjoying it so far.

The game starts pretty slow and it seemed like i was still in tutorial mode for a couple of hours but once the game begins to open up it's very impressive.

My main quibbles are some of the dialogue seems a bit too 'try hard' at times in terms of the swearing. Don't get me wrong, I like swearing as much as the next c**t but it seems a bit naff at times. Having said that though I think the characters are very interesting and I'm looking forward to learning more as the game goes on.

The AI is really really dumb which is pretty immersion-breaking at times. You can be in a full blown firefight and there's enemies that are clearly in range but don't get aggro'd.

The thing I'm enjoying most about the game is the world and for me it's the real star of the show. The graphic design, architecture and environmental storytelling are top notch.

I really hate that you can only equip 2 slabs.

Really you can only choose one as the game isn't the same without Shift 😁

True, and for me the second one is Karnesis, and I never touched them again.

Aether and Nexus for me the majority of the time. Most roofs etc were easy enough to climb without needing Shift (and oftentimes trying to see where you'd land with shift was a bit of a nightmare). Never bothered with Karnesis or Havoc at all, I went pure stealth as much as possible. Taking out groups of enemies with one nail due to Nexus... sublime.

By the end I was only switching Aether to Shift for Aleksis' party to make it easier to get into position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So for those who have this, is it worth it? Is it worth all the big scores it's getting? Probably pick it up Friday.

Literally just finished watching that! I love how noclip has just become the Arkane studios show lol

I laughed when Dinga said, "for some reason I'm used to seeing reviews come out slowly."

Yeah, you know exactly the reason why haha. Really insightful and confirmed a lot of my theories about how the game came about.

In other news, Deathloop is number 1 in the UK:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-09-21-deathloop-takes-no-1-in-dominant-week-for-ps5-uk-boxed-charts

I love it and can't get enough of it but no, you won't like it. If you have other games you're interested in getting probs best get them instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭recyclops

I am still waiting for it to grab me, I am almost certain it will but I probably need to give it a proper session, I do think some of the annoyances mentioned above about UI etc are true but if I get used to them over time it'll be a minor gripe.

• Advertisement

I have all lined up waiting for me to break the loop this evening :)

Loop broken. Enjoyed the game a lot on the whole, although perhaps just ever so shy of peak Arkane for me. While I enjoyed the final loop, throughout the game I couldn't help but wish the game gave the player a little more leeway to put two-and-two together themselves. There are satisfying moments of discovery here, but compared to the peak exploration or 'information' games it definitely lacks that incredible sense of figuring out the big secrets or something major finally clicking into place. But there is fun to be had gradually lining up the dominoes for that one final push, even if the final push is very overtly spelt out for you.

The game is definitely more willing to make you completely overpowered compared to Dishonoured, which I do think works to its benefit. Towards the end when you have a few special weapons loaded with purple trinkets you'll be absolutely mowing through enemies - far more so than Dishonoured, Deathloop almost seems to prod you towards the chaotic path. Stealth is fine, especially when you finally have a decent slab and trinket setup (the hack from great distances trinket is hilariously overpowered), although with a couple of exceptions - such as the party - I often found it more efficient to simply let all hell break loose and pick off the dumb AI in a localised area.

Not entirely sure whether I liked or disliked the looter shooter element, although I'm perhaps leaning towards the latter. It was very satisfying to find one of the orange tier weapons by solving the puzzle attached to them. But the nature of the other random drops meant there was a whole lot of junk thrown the player's way. For example, I held off on the library and arsenal sections until later in the game... but in the end just found a bunch of generic weapons that weren't a patch on the ones I'd had for hours.

It's a good game overall with plenty to like. If it fell just a little short for me it was because it's doing some of the things a few of my favourite games from recent years are doing, just without the same level of trust in the player. But as a different spin on Arkane's brand of the immersive sim, it's a solid mix of the familiar and the refreshing.

I nearly wish more than anything that there were multiple ways to break the loop. Just one or two more options where you can gather different people into different configurations/locations.

That would have been pretty cool actually.

@ JU, stealth is very viable once you have the right trinkets and silent weapons. I stealthed the entirety of Updaam at night (Aleksis' party level) as it was one of the trophies needed for platinum and that is ridiculously easier than it first appears. The only thing I had to watch out for was the Julianna invasion but you can avoid her altogether if you keep your head down and use all the secret passageways.

Yeah I went stealth pretty much the entire game. Never even used Havoc or Karnesis until playing as Juliette. Aether, Nexus and Spiker gun. Probably made things take longer, but Nexus in particular made it so damn satisfying taking multiple enemies out with one shot.

Stealth is definitely viable, although I found the nail gun I had (which tagged enemies in the area) was just a bit too inaccurate to be wholly relied on. Might have a look for other silenced weapons as I’d like to do a silent party run.

In contrast, I had two incredible shotguns to pick from and the incredible dual pistol / assault rifle combo weapon. They’d pick every enemy off with one shot. Just felt like the quickest way to clear a room or area, especially since the alarm systems usually seemed localised rather than level-wide.

The biggest issue I had with the nail gun was just that if I was using aether and was invisible, so was the sight on the gun, making it a lot harder to aim. But even then you're practically invisible when peeking over something anyway so it was usually the viable option.

Ha, I ran into that invisible sights issue as well during my final run, was an absolute pain!

I do think the ending was pretty underwhelming:

Played through the perfect loop twice to see two of the different ones and while neither was great I much preferred the ‘don’t kill Juliana’ option. The two bantering for eternity seemed oddly apt to me. The ‘kill Juliana and break the loop’ one seemed far less satisfying, although I believe that’s considered the ‘good’ one 😅

If you put trinkets on to make the nail gun more accurate you'll never miss. I memorised where the reticle was so the missing sights stopped being an issue when aether was activated. The silence tribunal is supposed to be very good but it's a rare drop and comes with the pre-order deluxe edition which I am sure is entirely coincidental... I prefer mainly close range takedowns anyway (you can take the gal out of Assassin's Creed...). 

eta: Why does clicking on a quote send the post now ????

Anyway, what I was trying to say is that it's considered the "good ending" because not killing her just repeats the cycle. They've done the whole, "let's go for drinks" thing before and it always ends with him forgetting everything and trying to break the loop. At least with the loop broken they have a chance at a real relationship even if she is mad at him. There's actually a third ending you missed that I won't spoil.

I hope in the sequel we play as the other Colts. Alternatively, they may even introduce new characters seeing as the Aeon program can select any bright mind.

• Advertisement

I’m actually confused now which endings are considered ‘good’ and ‘bad’ - from what I was reading online the one I liked more wasn’t considered the ‘good’ one 😅 Will have to try the third one to see if that settles it 😎

Advertisement