Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Fair enough, continue to mask up like a good citizen.

Reminds me of people who are still wiping down their groceries even after it has been established that surface transmission is not a consideration for covid.

There are numerous studies with control groups at this stage that show there is no clear benefit for mask wearing.

Those who still think masks are effective at this point must either be psychologically incapable of letting go of their safety blanket or have skin in the game in terms of PPE sales or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

I suppose I agree with you that if we cannot even agree on what constitutes a restriction then we will not see eye to eye but I apologise for saying you’re being disingenuous. I don’t agree that normal life is not effected by mask wearing but I suppose that goes hand in hand with not agreeing on what a restriction is.

I’m surprised by your statement that “shops & customers can carry on their business\shopping with capacity limits and distancing.” Do I understand correctly that you don’t see those as restrictions, either? Is it a case that anything that does not completely stop an activity from happening is not a restriction?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes I think we were reaching the "agree to disagree" point on that one...

In relation to your second point, if for example capacity restrictions made it uneconomic for a venue to hold a concert \ artistic event, then you could say they were restricted from operating their business. If the show could not go on...

But this does not apply to masks and distancing in shops, retail premises where they could continue on their business, while managing the flow of customers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

Yeah, we definitely disagree and I don’t want to just argue in circles until we’re both angry and shouting; there’s enough of that on these threads already. Thanks for chatting with me about this. It’s the first time I can actually understand why someone would accept a continuation of (what I would argue are) restrictions.

The studies with control groups were about benefits to mask wearers directly, which is not why masks are mandated.

The Danish study showed a small benefit to mask wearers, but the numbers did not reach threshold for significant finding.

Epidemiological studies, such as in Melbourne, established the effectiveness of mask mandates as an isolated measure.

There are also case studies, e.g. of plane passengers, in hair salons, which found that infected mask wearers did not spread the diseases.

Masks are effective, but sadly I don't have any stock in PPE companies and throwing out nonsense about "safety blankets" is just childish baiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This looks like an alarmist urban myth or some internet opinion that took wings. Is there an actual piece of research that states this?

It seems to stem from these reports in the media from Australia...

In Sydney, Australia, several people were infected in “fleeting” non-physical contact in a cafe and a shopping mall. CCTV footage revealed two people walking past each other while at a mall transmitting the virus...

Queensland’s chief health officer, Dr Jeannette Young decided to close the state’s borders to people from Sydney hotspots, telling The Guardian, “with the Delta variant, we’re seeing very fleeting contact leading to transmission. At the start of this pandemic, I spoke about 15 minutes of close contact being a concern. Now it looks like it’s five to 10 seconds that’s a concern. The risk is so much higher now than it was only a year ago.”

Several individuals in Australia were also infected with the Kappa variant through lingering virus aerosol particles in the hallway of a quarantine hotel in May. Though the individuals had no direct contact with each other they opened the doors to their hotel rooms within 30 minutes of each other and tested positive for the same strain. The incident led to more than 300 potential sites of exposure and more than 17,000 people potentially exposed to the virus, resulting in the state of Victoria locking down. A similar event occurred earlier in April where two families quarantining in rooms next to one another were found to share the same viral sequence, after briefly opening their doors 30 minutes apart.   

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2021/06/28/infection-through-fleeting-contact-with-the-delta-variant-leads-to-lockdowns-across-australia/?sh=4940407e5d4f

More media reports of unexpected spread, including at outdoors sports venue.

Of course, we can't rule out that the person infected didn't get it this way but through some other contact - but given the small number of cases in Australia and rigorous contact tracing, this is how they think the infection spread:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/primary-close-contacts-top-15-000-as-super-spreaders-spark-new-stadium-cases-20210719-p58b3h.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

In other countries many see masks as liberty. A good way to stay safe, keep others safe and move around while the virus is circulating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Took you a while to come up with that one.

Only you already have that liberty. Hey, you can go shopping wearing a helmet if you like. Its becoming a problem though when everyone is expected to partake in this nonsense.

Once again with the digs, the exagerations and the "nonsense".

You can also sit infront of the computer waiting for me to reply instantly with a helmut on your bump.

The restriction is all in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bridest

Read somewhere that we breath out 70% of our waste! I'd never tell somebody hiw to wear their knickers, just saying

Fair enough the digs weren't necessary.

But it is nonsense all the same. When we lift restrictions including mask wearing in most places including relatively higher risk places but not in all places that is admitting that it is no longer the public health situation that drives the mask mandate. That it is merely left in place as an assurance to the cautious/fearful who we created in the first place with our 18 months long fear campaign. We've dug ourselves into a hole and now we're struggling to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

None of this is new. I remember reading analysis of Chinese and South Korean superspreader events in early 2020 that detailed airborne spread on buses and in restaurants, where people were not in close contact (analysis based on CCTV footage).

There are several problems with that reporting though. They seem to define superspreading as an event which generates a lot of close contacts, rather than infections, and there is no consideration of probability, which is critical to any reasonable risk analysis.

But then it's in Australia where they still seem to be clinging to a zero Covid dream. When zero cases is your goal, near-zero probability of spread is unacceptable.

When the mask mandate is lifted, you will probably continue to view somebody wearing a mask as somebody who is still feeling the effects of the "18 month long fear campaign". The fantasy narration will continue to play in your head.

When the mask mandate is lifted, I will continue to view somebody wearing a mask as just that, somebody wearing a mask.

The real hole diggers are the Anti-maskers, digging holes for yourselves, but no doubt that will go over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Patsy167

"Only 20% of rail passengers are still wearing masks at train stations in England now that it is no longer compulsory, according to Network Rail.

That compares with 80% before restrictions were lifted on 19 July."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58641989

If we see similar numbers in Ireland when restrictions lift, What will peoples thoughts be?

I think you get caught up in your own views as much as I do.

When you read my post again you will find that I said nothing about what views I will have on somebody wearing a mask after the mask mandate is lifted. I am only on about the mask mandate in fact not being lifted yet and not even being lifted after October 22 and why I think that is.

I dont know when eventually it will be lifted and I'm sure some people will continue to wear masks after that. And yes I will have my views on them but its not going to be me looking down on them. Isn't that what matters?

Probability is difficult to determine.

There is the inherent difficulty \ probability of detecting one of these spreads.

It was only detected in these cases because of the rigorous level of contact tracing (almost like a crime scene) and CCTV\information available.

How many times has spread like that occurred but not being picked up? For every one of these we detect, how many would be missed?

1:100? 1:1000? 1:10000?

(these are questions, not rhetorical answers)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Isn't it funny how we went with no masks at the beginning. And when restrictions are being lifted, masks remain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

It's not that surprising really. Mask wearing costs the government practically nothing to implement, businesses self-police it and its a very visible reminder to people that covid is floating around in the air, ready to strike at a moment's notice!

UCC taking masks very seriously...

A UCC spokesperson said that students are required to wear face coverings when attending lectures, and that lanyards would be made available to those with a medical exemption...

In an email circulated to students in one faculty in recent weeks, University College Cork told students that lecturers will ask them to wear a mask or leave the lecture hall if they turn up to a classroom without a face covering. A source told The Journal that lecturers at the faculty could call security if requests to wear a mask were not complied with and that, if security cannot show up in a timely manner, the lecturer may instead end the lecture, which would not be repeated.

https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-university-warning-security-face-masks-5556270-Sep2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

Won't masks no longer be required in schools and colleges from 22 October?

I think yes no longer required by government, but institutions and workplaces could in theory still require them. Especially college who seem to have a lot of leeway with their own regs.

I work in a place with over 500 people. We have had people with covid. We don't test people, so I'm sure people has been walking around unaware they have covid as well.

I was sure I was going to pick up covid in my job because of the amount of people I work with and people don't social distance in work either.

Masks work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,815 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

doesn't explicitly say https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/83946-public-health-measures-that-will-come-into-place-in-october/

From 22 October onwards final restrictions will be lifted, including:

requirements for physical distancing

requirements for mask wearing outdoors and in indoor private settings

limits on numbers at indoor and outdoor events and activities

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭User1998

So masks work because you reckon you didn’t catch covid in work

• Registered Users Posts: 11,815 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I know it's so hard to understand how masks work in such a large workplace. It's mind boggling alright.

• Advertisement

How will all these lifting of restrictions work on October 22?

Let's say if my workplace keeps face masks... But no social distancing and crammed into the canteen for lunch. What's the point of face masks when not in the canteen then? Or even what's the point of getting rid of social distancing?

Advertisement