Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Unfortunately I have had very extensive experience of visiting nursing home.

The wages for many employed in them may not be great, and many may be non national, but why should that be a problem with them being vaccinated or why would it result in nursing homes being unable to operate ?

A poster mentioned here today that we should be more like Hungary.

In Hungary it is now mandatory for all health care employees to be vaccinated with no redeployment if they are not. Same for other countries, with both France and the U`S now doing the same. I cannot see when the review of how we handled this epidemic takes place that healthcare worker vaccination status will not be a consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I feel this was always a problem, we've been sending our nurses to the UK, Australia etc etc and then buying in eastern European and far eastern ones

Nothing against the nurses themselves, all top notch people but we must be paying them peanuts if this is our system!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Wearing it outside on a cycle is pretty pointless to be fair.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Hungary has the highest Covid deaths per population in the EEA plus Britain, and the 4th. highest in the world. They have also introduced mandatory vaccination for all health care workers with no redeployment for non-compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭bikeman1

And the number of deaths has flatlined (in Hungary) to what looks like lower deaths per head than Ireland since they opened up and ditched the restrictions. This was tied into a certain percentage of the population being vaccinated.

I’m comparing and contrasting situations in the post vaccine world which most of Europe is now in. What will change between now and the next 4 weeks? Nothing, yet businesses are still being restricted. Then in October we will still be donning the life saving mask to pop in for a litre of milk in Spar or while sitting on a possibly empty Dart late at night.

I'm sure if all the restrictions were eased, some people would still keep a mask. I have no problem with that, that’s personal choice, which is where we are meant to be going with this, except we’re not.

Time to move on. Get vaccinated and open everything and remove ALL restrictions now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭User1998

No masks, no yellow signs, no social distancing, night clubs open till late and packed full of people ordering at the bar. First bit of normality I’ve had in 18 months

We have had people calling for the dropping of all restrictions from day one. Now with just 4 weeks to go to until there will be no restrictions other than a very limited one on mask wearing, we should immediately drop everything based on Hungary who handled this pandemic so well they have the highest deaths per capita in the EEA and the 4th highest in the world where you appear to believe their present low deaths are due to the dropping of restrictions. Seriously, not a very convincing arguement.

Some here have been skipping around the world for quite some time now, criticising Ireland while being picky on the areas that suit their narrative while ignoring others from the same country that do not. You are citing Hungary as an example we should now follow, so with your mention of vaccines, can I take it you are not doing the same and you also believe we should follow Hungary`s example and make it mandatory for all health care workers to be vaccinated with no redeployment for those that refuse too. ?

Post edited by charlie14 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Why is it another month before we open up? I honestly don't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It is nonsense. Are cases going to be lower on the 22nd of October, probably not. They are barely different to 1 month ago. Yet we are still faffing around pretending that these current restrictions actually work. It's blatantly clear they were not "public health measures", it was just bait to get the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,305 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The excuse is 'to get more fully vaccinated' and the usual 'but there might be new variants out there'

Amazing that last orders on the 21st Oct will be 11pm but a mere 24 hours later it will be 2am in some places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

The second part of your first paragraph is nonsense. Again.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Indo not happy about covid moving into the background... obviously fearful of losing their great cashcow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

You can't but laugh at their (and others) feeble attempts to keep the topic relevant. Front and centre of their main page this morning, in big bold letters, "fears new Covid-19 advice will see cases rise". My god, the horror of it. I'm sure the perpetually-frightened will spend the day wringing their hands and indulge in some virtual finger wagging on Twitter, FB etc. But the vast majority know this isn't a cause for concern. I heard John Boyle (INTO) on radio yesterday complaining (nothing new there) about the new policy, and stating he needs more data - is John an epidemiologist now, as well as general secretary of INTO? Does he know something that NPHET don't? Why this clown is given airtime is beyond me.

We know, in general, that the vast, vast majority of children do not get sick from Covid-19. Yes, there are outliers, unfortunate cases, etc. but NPHET have obviously decided that such minor incidences are not enough to justify ongoing disruption to the overwhelming majority of healthy children who (up until now) have had to isolate, stay at home, etc. without even having any symptoms. And if they pass it on to someone at home, that person will most likely be protected by the vaccine, and so on. I just don't understand the outcry over this decision. And if you think about it in the cold light of day, it has been some monumental shift of the goalposts to go from protecting the elderly/nursing homes/health service to protecting <12 year old children.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You wearing a mask going into a Spar protects everyone else in that shop from you. If you choose to go to a gig, that's your decision. But the medically vulnerable person in front of you at the till can't choose whether or not they go to buy groceries, so should be protected when they do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

Hungary are a bad example. Denmark who have a very similar level of vaccination to Ireland have also dropped all restrictions.

Despite having a population of almost 1 million more than us, they have had about 2,500 less deaths. Their current cases per capita are about a 1/3 of ours despite having no masks or social distancing whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

But if the person in front of you is wearing their mask are they not protecting themselves?

I think this is the point, surely we have to move on from "me protecting you" by wearing a mask to "you protecting you"

TBH the mask wearing doesnt bother me too much but i can see the point in moving to "looking after yourself phase"

In the future im sure mask wearing will become part of normal society during flu seasons etc for those that choose to do so.

Yep and apparently they use those "snake oil" antigen tests quite extensively in Denmark as an additional measure to help. Makes ye wonder really!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Masks dont protect you - and to be honest they dont offer much protection for others either for a virus measuring in the 100s of nanometers, far smaller than the invisible holes in the fabric of your mask.

@the kelt

But if the person in front of you is wearing their mask are they not protecting themselves?

Two masks are better than one. We never move on from "me protecting you" in certain areas. This is not just a health or covid thing. From road traffic laws, to building regulations, to fire regulations, huge swathes (arguably the majority) of H&S rules are focussed on "me protecting you", rather than "me protecting me".

Where a threat exists, and where an individual has no choice except to use a premises/service, then there needs to be appropriate measures in place to protect them from that threat rather than expecting them to do so themselves.

For example, if someone is out for a walk on a road with no footpaths, is the walker's obligation to watch for vehicles, is it drivers' obligation to drive carefully and watch out for pedestrians, or is it the local authority's obligation to improve the state of the infrastructure to give pedestrians safer routes?

The answer is all 3 - it is everyone's obligation. Same thing here. The individual has a responsibility to wear masks for their safety and of those around them, and the premises has a responsibility to enforce it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

We have highly effective vaccines and a highly effective vaccination programme that have largely rendered this novel virus… well, not novel. It seems like you’re arguing not to return to normal for reasons that are very different from the reasons we implemented these measures in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

But if you’re vaccinated and wearing a mask then you are protected! Why does me not wearing a mask have anything to do with YOUR safety?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Traditionally vaccines gave people personal protection from disease but these ones don't so please continue to treat everyone you meet as a leper on the off chance that they're secretly ill and don't know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Where am i arguing for not returning to normal?

Im basically saying if you want wear a mask then wear one, just in the future it will be normal or acceptable for people to wear masks if they choose to do so.

Yes but we are talking about the future, not whats happening now.

Where does it stop? If i legally drive down the road at 100k/hr and you choose to drive at 60km/hr because you feel safer doing so and it is safer should everyone then drive at 60km/hr so?

Your example makes no sense unless your pushing for the local authority to put footpaths on every single road in the country!! You walk a road with no footpaths the same rules apply, your responsibility for your safety along with expecting drivers to obey the rules of the road. But no i live in the country and i dont expect the L/A to provide safe walking paths for me.

Personal responsibility would seem prudent going forward.

I was replying to Seamus who is arguing that wearing a mask is a safety measure everyone needs to continue. You and I agree; with the emergency coming to an end / having already ended we should be returning to normal in which an individual decides what’s best for them without being able to impose on everyone else.

@ShadowTech

reasons that are very different from the reasons we implemented these measures in the first place.

Well no, the measures were implemented in the first place as a broad social effort to protect all of society. If it was a case of "everyone look after themselves", then no laws would have been required at all.

Masks in retail settings are merely a continuation of this communal effort to engage in social protection. While I'm relatively skeptical of its effectiveness in reality, it makes logical sense and it's a minor enough imposition in the short-term that there's zero harm in it. If it offers even a 1% reduction in transmission in retail settings, then I have no problem with it being a feature until next Spring.

Society doesn't and can't function solely on a "everyone take care of themselves" approach, because my actions impact everyone else no matter what I do.

And where there is no choice for someone else to avoid me, then I have an obligation to help protect them from me. (and me from them, etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

But continuation of compulsory face covering is completely unnecessary. Those who still need protection (e.g. frail or immuncompromised) should be wearing proper (FFP2/3) masks anyway, because delta aerosols make face coverings largely redunant. Therefore the use of face coverings by non-vunlerable people is irrelevant.

The problem with our "face covering" policy is that it was formed in early 2020 when masks were in short supply and needed by healthcare workers, and hasn't been touched since.

• Advertisement

@seamus

the measures were implemented in the first place as a broad social effort to protect all of society.

The measures were introduced to avoid the hospitals from collapsing. While this obviously protects society, the measures were never intended to remain once that was no longer a risk. With vaccinations at around 90% amongst the eligible population arguing for a continuation of masks or any other restrictions is essentially arguing for them to remain forever. The risk is not going to drop much further and, to use your example of being fine with this until spring, you know as well as I do that we will not be in a different place at that time than we are now. This is as good as it gets which, before covid, was good enough for us all to go about our lives as normal.

Advertisement