Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Higgins Praises Travellers Contribution to Irish Society

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

clearly not, given he was overwhelmingly rejected by the irish people.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,225 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts deleted

The following posters are threadbanned

Patrick2010

Billcarson

Nevin Parsnipp

Pussyhands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not really no ,he came in second place with 23% of the votes ,higgens 55% he wasn't overwhelming rejected just like higgens wasn't overwhelming chosen by the people , considering only 1.4 million voted

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

The man went from being less than 1% in the polls to getting over 23% in the final outcome, simply by mentioning one anti-traveller remark. If he wasn't so inarticulate, and had a bit more charm, I'm sure it would have been a much bigger percentage.

This article shows he did better in areas with a higher percentage of travellers, as I generally find that their greatest defenders are those who never have to deal with their antics.

https://www.longfordleader.ie/news/home/344910/higgins-re-elected-but-longford-voters-back-casey.html

I did vote for Casey in the end, simply because of Leo coming out and telling voters to send a clear message what they thought of Caseys remarks. I duly obliged, but wasn't overly sorry to see Michael D win out as he is generally a good ambassador for our country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I did exactly the same. I thought Casey was completely honest in his opinion and that's sadly lacking in politics and that's a value worth voting for. But I don't think anyone is overly sorry about MD getting the gig either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There are two separate issues at play here

(1) Discrimination against travellers: This is wrong, very wrong. Travellers should not be discriminated against just because they are travellers, they should have the same opportunities as all other members of society. Higgins was right to draw attention to this failure of society.

(2) Traveller culture: There are few redeeeming aspects that have ever been identified on here of traveller culture. The treatment of women within traveller culture is appalling, it is worse than the worst excesses of Muslim culture. Beyond that, the fighting culture as part of the Traveller culture is beyond condemnation. These are real and serious issues. Higgins was wrong not to draw attention to these failures of Traveller culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

second place with 23% of the vote, vs 55% of the vote for MDH and 22% for other candidates = 77% of the voters against him, = overwhelmingly rejected.

a single issue candidate with nothing going for him regardless, ultimately got sent the message, no thanks we have no time for the alt right here as leo suggested we should send.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,138 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

How is that two separate issues?

Number 2 is just your own personal negative opinions of travellers based upon your own perspective, which is based entirely upon discrimination being acceptable, contradicting your opinion in number 1.

Tying yourself up in knots because your opinions are far from objective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

He should have pointed out the contributions. Their dedication to recycling scrap metals, their lavish funerals making the funeral business lucrative, single handedly keeping Waterford Crystal afloat. Their contribution to the Arts, martial arts, like barenuckle boxing. Their sporting endeavours like sulky racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭dam099

Their treatment of women in general is not acceptable but comes nowhere near the worst excesses of Muslim culture, the women in Afghanistan and even the likes of Saudi Arabia can testify to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

People say they want members of the travelling community to try and integrate into settled community, get an education and a career. Some of the same people also say they wouldn't want to live next to them or work beside them.

The travelling community is far from perfect but as has been mentioned above they have been pushed to margins of society and are discriminated against because of who they are. Members of the travelling community are not the only ones who need to change their attitudes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,323 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I remember seeing around the time of the Carrickmines fire that no one in that area wanted them living near them ( I suppose all negative stories in people's minds etc., ) but then we welcome some undocumented even unvetted criminal immigrant refugees etc., there is good and bad in all groups of society, it would be nice hearing of more positive traveller stories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I genuinely can't think of one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

For most travellers full participation in society will come with a significant income cut.

Ultimately that is why it will not change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,322 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When you see that not a single national newspaper has covered on their front pages the extraordinary story yesterday of 7 people being injured at an altercation at a graveyard with 1 person needing to be airlifted to hospital you know who it involves. It's a sad state of affairs when the media can't report the news, the news has been ethnically clensed, a poor country to now live in.

https://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/ie230921page1-1015x1536.jpg

https://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/SNE23FRONT-804x1024.jpg

https://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/ee230921Page1-811x1024.jpg

https://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/image133.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭kegg

One person was shot and supposedly died since.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Maybe bilbo baggins should go live on a halting site then, and let us all know how he gets on with his new friends. Might cramp his style I'd wager!

Stupid old wind bag needs to be put out to pasture. He's an embarrassment to have as head of state.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

It’s hilarious how many people are saying that the President should go up to a lectern and openly criticise an entire ethnic group native to the country.

If it’s Traveller Pride week no public figure is going to use their opportunity to comment on it to list their grievances against the Travelling Community, never mind the President.

This thread is yet another example of the plain speaking and plain clueless denizenry of boards.ie: who think the president should either stick to cutting ribbons with giant scissors or launching fire and brimstone tirades against the hate group de jour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭francois

Thread going exactly as predicted

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

People live under the illusion we have a free press, we have anything but.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

I think el presidente three houses missed an opportunity in particular to single out the continued positive contribution the Roma have made to our towns and cities, which include.....uhm, uhm.....

Imagine how the Roma and our native 'travellers' would have been treated under MDH's communist hero Fidel.

MDH must have 45+ years of high paid leeching off the state in the pension swag bag at this stage. He's so removed from reality it's not funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So a youth was arrested with a knife at the funeral yesterday, he was released and a file is being prepared for the local youth juvenile liason officer.

Is this normal practice if a youth is caught with a knife at a scene in which numerous people have been stabbed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

"In his letter to the organisers and the wider community, President Higgins said this year’s theme, “reflects the profound spirit of solidarity that exists amongst our Traveller community.”

THIS PROFOUND SPIRIT OF SOLIDARITY ON FULL DISPLAY IN TUAM YESTERDAY. AS OF COURSE ARE OTHER INCIDENTS REPORTED DAILY AROUND THE COUNTRY

(NOT FULLY OF COURSE, FOR FEAR OF UPSETTING SENSITIVITIES) 🙄

Listening to morning Ireland we're their Western correspondent fell over himself trying not to mention the T word, One arrest (quickly released) , air ambulance, numerous ambulances and over 30 Gardai in attendance.

Pathetic, Galling and Disgraceful (to include the actual reporting)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

In general, he's an incredibly popular president who comfortably won a second term. Meanwhile, it's not saying a whole lot about you that you're resorting to insults about his appearance.

In relation to discrimination against the traveler community. The reality is that any traveler even if they do well career wise, politically, educationally or any other way. They invariably get looked down on by people. So by birth, people view any member negatively regardless of what they do. That's horrendous and honestly was never gonna have a positive impact. Now I'm gonna have people such as yourself go ape at me as if I've said something outrageous...

Perhaps you might entlighen those Haters you refer too, What Contributions exactly is MDH referring too, Serious Question 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

If you are a minority in Ireland, come to Current Affairs/IMHO to see 'ordinary people' discussing you.

Unreal that its allowed, its just over and over and over. Muslims, Africans, Gender Balance, Travellers.......never ending echo chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Brown Sugar

It's on the front page of the Independent.ie website. That's the only one I even looked at.

It's an article on their website, not on their front page so to speak and whilst suitably graphic, it not ONCE mentions Travellers, I just wondered if a marauding gang of an other entnic minority behaved in such an appalling way, would their Ethnicity being mentioned 🤔 you can bet your life it would.

I suppose you could equally argue that such is the prevalent behaviour of this cohort, their ethnicity doesn't even require mentioning, that itself is extraordinary, the dogs on the street can work out who they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's a reflection of how powerful travellers are

Travellers are a high ranking sacred cow for the progressive left , criticising them is a form of WOKE blasphemy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭ec18

in fairness they make a huge contribution to employment......think how many prison staff there is for them

Advertisement