Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Gotta love a good blame game.

There was only 1 yellow btw. Spain were shown 1 too.

I didn’t get to see much of it, but what I did see looked a bit of a mess. Lots of unforced errors on both sides. But I also thought the ref added to that too. She was blowing penalties for offside at kicks without playing any advantage. She was also very inconsistent at the ruck too. At one point Monaghan was pinged for going off her feet at the ruck, but she had latched onto the ball carrier and never released the carrier or collapsed onto her. It was in a prime attacking position and it gave Spain a lifeline. Yet I lost count after that of the number of times the exact same action occurred without being penalised.

Spain looked a lot more organised than I had expected. I wonder if this shows where Wales, Scotland and Italy are at in some ways too. Spain seemed a lot better than certainly the Welsh or Scottish. Ireland had very little space to work or time on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I'll be honest Spain were my biggest worry of the three teams as an unknown entity they had the ability to come in and give a shock and well they were putting in better performances before the 6 nations got rejigged to align with the men's.

They had a chip on their shoulder and a point to prove

Ireland weren't nearly clinical enough but a lot of times it looked like we didn't know what to do at times.

Core skills were a let down catch pass especially. Because bit was an issue during the 6 nations and you'd think as it was something obvious to us on the outside that, that would have improved.

Parsons and Murphy-Crowe didn't get on the ball nearly enough and they are game breakers our attacking gameplan shou revolve around getting them involved.

And there were times we needed to just go through 2 or 3 phases of bgood pod work in the Spanish 22 and we would have had them beat but game management was severely lacking. Flood needs a Nicole Cronin type at 9 to make up for her lack of 15s experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,436 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We can debate it here till the cows come home, but take a look at Off The Ball on Youtube interview with Fiona Coghlan, Niamh Briggs and Ali Miller.

Coghlan in particular was absolutely furious. And all of them were suggesting it didn't look like the Irish side had actually trained in months. They questioned whether low standards were being tolerated by the coaches in training, so low were the skill levels. They eviscerated Considine for shooting out of the line for the Spanish try, said you wouldn't see it on an underage club pitch. One of them suggested, that quite apart from the result, it was the worst actual performance by an Ireland senior women's side in many years.

Now, they have enough experience of the environment to be taken very seriously when they say this stuff. So, the question is, what is Griggs presiding over? Has the personal training and network of excellence and elite women's development broken down at local level? Is Anthony Eddy supervising this whole effort and is he satisfied with the standards and the cohesion?

Cos something is seriously wrong and perhaps the best thing that could happen now is to miss out on qualification from this tournament, bin the coaching staff entirely and appoint a team of suitable domestic coaches to develop a simple but effective strategy to qualify at the final Repechage in December and then tackle a serious rebuild for the 6N.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

^

this 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

4 changes to team

15. Eimear Considine (UL Bohemian/Munster)(19)

14. Amee-Leigh Murphy Crowe (Railway Union/Munster)(3)

13. Eve Higgins (Railway Union/Leinster)(3)

12. Sene Naoupu (Old Belvedere/Leinster)(42)

11. Beibhinn Parsons (Ballinasloe/Blackrock College/Connacht)(12)

10. Stacey Flood (Railway Union/Leinster)(4)

9. Kathryn Dane (Old Belvedere/Ulster)(14)

1. Laura Feely (Blackrock College/Connacht)(20)

2. Cliodhna Moloney (Wasps/IQ Rugby)(27)

3. Linda Djougang (Old Belvedere/Leinster)(13)

4. Nichola Fryday (Blackrock College/Connacht)(19)

5. Sam Monaghan (Wasps/IQ Rugby)(1)

6. Dorothy Wall (Blackrock College/Munster)(8)

7. Edel McMahon (Wasps/IQ Rugby)(10)

8. Ciara Griffin (UL Bohemian/Munster)(Captain)(37)

Replacements:

16. Neve Jones (Malone/Ulster)(4)

17. Lindsay Peat (Railway Union/Leinster)(35)

18. Leah Lyons (Sale/IQ Rugby)(27)

19. Brittany Hogan (DCU/Old Belvedere/Ulster)(5)

20. Claire Molloy (Wasps/IQ Rugby)(71)

21. Emily Lane (Blackrock College/Munster)(4)

22. Enya Breen (UL Bohemian/Munster)(7)

23. Lauren Delany (Sale Sharks/IQ Rugby)(15).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭irelandrover

What channel is this shown on?

See above

It's also on the rte player if you are into sado-masochism

Missed game as at my own.

Scotland beat Spain 27-22

We're second behind Italy ahead of next week. At least Spain Italy is on before the game against Scotland so we'll know exactly what we need to qualify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Scotland beat Spain 27-22?

• Advertisement

edited my post. thanks. saw that result somewhere..

How many tries in how many irish caps is that now for Parsons??

I think it works out as 8 tries in 14 caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,627 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

i watched the Scotland v Spain match. Spain played really well and could well give Italy a run for their money this weekend

entertaining match too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,466 ✭✭✭✭phog

So, what have Ireland to do to top the group? I know some of it depends on the earlier game Italy v Spain but what do who do we want to see win that game and what are the best results we can hope for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Ideally a draw

But an Italy win by 1 point without a TBP

Just incase it goes to head to head not points difference

And it's quite odd that no one knows and it's being reported differently everywhere

If Italy wins with a TBP we have to do the same but win by more than 11 points

If Spain win with a TBP we'll need to do the same

If either win without a TBP we need to win with one to guarantee top spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,466 ✭✭✭✭phog

Saw it being suggested on Twitter that RTE will actually broadcast the Ire v Scotland game this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭bluedex

Yeah, yeah, just a persons opinion. No need to get your knickers in a twist ;)

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

My knickers are firmly untwisted. The lacey stuff tends to not bunch as bad as the others.

I'm also noticing a real silence here this week. People were more than happy to come out of the woodwork completely lumping responsibility on everyone except the girls when they lost.

But not a single comment on what was a good win with attitude and heart where the staff and players clearly identified areas to work on and did so.

Far from a finished product but a step in the right direction. The Italians identified our attacking breakdown as a source of disruption and did so tremendously well.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭bluedex

Okey dokey.

Yeah they were better alright, but still room for improvement.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Advertisement

Scrum was a lot better but lineout needs work.

Selection will be interesting, a few big calls to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭irelandrover

So if Spain win today with a bonus they qualify, if they win without a bonus then Ireland need a bonus point win, and if Italy win then Ireland just need to match their result. Is that correct?

Yes. the tie breaker is as follows: the result of the fixture between the two teams, points difference, tries difference, most points scored, most tries scored, a coin toss. 

So we want a draw or a win without a bonus point in the first game and then us to win with bonus as an uncomplicated way of deciding things. If Spain win with a bonus we can only finish second. if Spain win with a bonus they qualify unless scotland were also to win with a bonus point

Italy won 34-10 so Ireland need bonus point win to qualify automatically. Any win gets us into repechage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Incredibly disappointing, the performance just wasn't there

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Denny61

I've never seen such crap rubbish rugby by the irish .they beat Italy last day who were supposed to be the weakest. Yet Italy go on and beat the Spanish by a landslide .I'm glad our country out of it as we be torn to sheds by the big guns in our group in the world Cup..Spare us the embarrassment. Any way I'd never watch it...has irish international sports ever been as bad.mens rugby..women rugby..athletics ..golf. soccer..we should wind all these sports and funnel the money in the one or two sports we good at..rowing..boxing...any thing else is absolutely embarrassing to watch ..and no pleasure from.it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,518 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Letting her in nearly behind the posts for that last try was really poor. They should have been doing everything to stop her getting across but they all just gave up when they knew she’d score.

Didnt see game as at work but very disappointing. Hopefully not making world cup can be a wake up call and we can get some proper changes to the structure of the womens game at all levels to ensure this doesnt happen again

So undercooked it was criminal. Griggs should be sacked forthwith, he has overseen a shambles in his tenure.

Shocking, unforgivable, inexplicable.

Griggs and eddy both should be given their p45s immediately.

There needs to be major structural changes at the highest levels of women's rugby and the link between national level and AIL needs to be developed.

There also needs to be less of a cannibalism at AIL where the win at all costs attitude is killing the game by allowing players to be tapped up to move to the few "big teams"

• Advertisement

Totally agree. The structural changes need to happen at all levels of the game not simply the highest levels. Totally agree about link between national level and AIL

The top players are concentrated in far too few clubs.

Bohs and few other clubs hoover up far too many players which means theyre very strong but the rest are not. Dublin isnt too bad as at least top players are spread across 3/4 clubs but elsewhere the talent is just overloaded in a small number of clubs

100%.

Hearing Niamh Briggs describe last week about how the local management and integration of regionally based players has basically collapsed was shocking. International players turning up in ones and twos at Club training asking to be accommodated is a damning indictment of Anthony Eddy in particular. They clearly haven't been communicating or working off a clear programme for the Covid period, which we should remember Italy and Scotland and Spain all lived through as well. Our women's management have no excuses.

There is no question that the 7s programme has gone very well, but having the oversight merged with Womens XVs is clearly a disaster and David Nucifora's successor must have direct management responsibility for both, with two different programme managers under him for each stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cgq300

The Bantry Bay rfc twitter thread which has got a bit of attention today for anyone who hadnt seen it

https://twitter.com/Bantry_Rugby/status/1442426637056937985

Saw that today, I can't get my head around it.

Is it actually the case that munster youths have a SEPARATE committee for running girls youths??

If so, why?

In leinster it's the one committee, and everyone has the same game rules

I think there may be more to this than we are seeing.

In Munster they have a girls, youths and schools committees. The girls have slight variances in laws around reduced numbers and there is other differences as well. some games played only to 5m line not full touchline. thats in Leinster as well as Munster so everyone doesnt have same game rules.

If I were in the hockey sphere I would be all over this trying to grab talented athletes being cast aside by rugby. A sport where the women are at the pinnacle of a global sport.

This country has a horrid habit of assuming, just because a men's elite structure exists, that the women's game should automatically succeed.

Women's rugby needs to be nurtured from the ground up but there seems to be no leadership at all or drive to push on. Looking at some of my previous clubs, who had strong women's teams, they've slipped back to not fielding teams.

At general club level it looks the same as the late 1990s, in terms of structure at some clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Kick offs confirmed for Ireland's November series. Ireland v USA, Friday 12th November, 7.15pm. Ireland v Japan, Saturday 20th November, 3pm

https://twitter.com/IrishRugby/status/1448682726434000897?t=Hec-19Bods0KMzO4oJkj2g&s=19

IRFU have put up some info about review theyve been carrying out looking at the womens game

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/10/20/irfu-update-on-womens-rugby-reviews/

Good news I think!

• Advertisement

very good news. he did great work with womens team before and has been in states for a while and done a lot of good there as well

Assistant Coach to 'Goose' Doyle in the golden years and has come back with significant additional experience.

A good day overall for the Women's game in Ireland methinks, though it does feel a bit like starting again from scratch in many ways.

The involvement of Amanda Bennett is particularly significant, shes a very serious operator in everything she has done.

November games to be played in RDS

US game to be shown on RTE player, Japan on RTE2

Hopefully we can get more internationals played outside Dublin in time. Shame to have so few and nearly all in Dublin...

The national team plays in the capital, which is fair enough.

I've always thought the RDS would be a much better venue for the women's tests than Donnybrook, its a much more fan friendly location and should draw a much bigger crowd, especially of younger fans. Hope it goes well for them and becomes permanent in time.

• The U20 team played their home 6 Nations games in Cork in 2019 & 2020 and it was a great success.

Venues like Musgrave Park, The Sportsground and the RDS would be ideal to play the Women's games in.

Senior national side does and Aviva deal means they cant play outside of there but more of the other games should be played outside of Dublin. Would Womens team get enough attending games to warrant full time move to RDS. Big difference between a 6000 and 18000 capacity venue. Would RDS really draw more younger people to go than Donnybrook?

It looks like Anthony Eddy has shot himself in the foot with his recent interview. Universal uproar, lots of former players coming out about it but the current players know there will be retribution if they speak up.

yes, it as a disaster of an interview... Eddy comes across as not being capable for his remit at all.

the review should include his sacking imho

I stand corrected, bravo Cliodhna Moloney, it takes some courage to come out while still playing and currently in Ireland camp 👏

• Advertisement

Absolutely should get shown the door. Pathetic. And it shouldn't be dependent on the review, he should be sacked this week.

*Current* player Cliodhna Maloney has also accused him of spreading slurry!

In fairness to the Union, they have begun rectifying the situation with the women's XVs with the appointment of Greg McWilliams and also bringing Aiden McNulty of Ulster in to head the Women's 7's.

Its now time for Nucifora and Eddy to go and be replaced with two of the many experienced Irish sporting directors and strategists we are fortunate to have.

For example, Gary Keegan has already consulted under Andy Farrell's regime. Imagine him as director of high performance?!

Advertisement