Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Like I say, I'm skeptical as to the necessity of masks at this stage. But do we know they're completely ineffective? If there is even a slight benefit to it, then it seems a very minor inconvenience to suffer in the short-term as we emerge from this. The cost of wearing a mask in a shop to the individual is small or nil, so if it confers even a marginal benefit then it may be worth doing. Like asking people to sanitise their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

We should be well beyond abundance of caution at this point.

Why should I have to wear a face covering because someone else can't be bothered to wear a proper mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

1st off, unless the person will be coughing and sneezing the mask won't do much, just normal breathing and the air escapes out the sides into the shop anyway, so unless they hold their breath for the duration of their shopping the masks are basically theatre in a shop.

2nd - that medically vulnerable person is vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Click and collect and grocery delivery exist for those small number of people for whom the risk of entering a shop is still unbearable. Since their action of going into shops could potentially impact the vast majority of people by imposing mask wearing on them, surely they should be prepared to take the minor imposition of using available no-contact facilities for themselves?

Seems to me that would be a much more effective way of reducing the spread to the vulnerable than a bit of a rag over the face that lets everything through regardless, too.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

You really think that is sufficient justification for a continued legal mandate punishable by large fines and even jail?

And there is still no date given or even proposal when this will end. This is the most important point.

These kind of unprecedented societal mandates should have watertight justification of an ongoing emergency, yet it's just being dismissed as "shur it's grand". Madness.

• Advertisement

Because it may not be possible for that other person to wear a proper mask? Either because of cost or physical difficulties. Remember that we're specifically talking about scenarios where that person cannot simply avoid going; like shops or public transport or hospitals. Eventually for the former two we will have to just take the "let 'er rip" approach.

But do we have to do it immediately? What benefit is there in abandoning masks in October, versus, say, March? And yes, I'm aware that the opposite question also exists; what benefit is there in keeping it? You say there's no longer a need for an "abundance of caution". I'm on the fence. An "ar eagla na heagla" approach to public health in essential settings, seems sensible. The cost and hassle is minimal.

Unless of course, there's sufficient evidence that it's completely pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If there's a cost issue the State should pick it up. It's probably cheaper overall for a tiny number of people to be "prescribed" high quality masks than for everyone to pay for face coverings, but in any case if they need these masks they should get them, since other people's face coverings will not protect them.

There will always be medically vulnerable people. There were before and there will be in future, Covid or no Covid. You seem to be arguing for permanently changing the default behaviours of society with the force of law to protect these people. That is an absolutely massive change with probably huge unintended consequences which (at least) needs a referendum. It should not be snuck in off the back of a crisis.

I'm not much of a protester, and try to live my life to be respectful of other's health and wellbeing, but if this is what's coming I'll be holding my nose and standing at the barricades with the gemmaroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Because it may not be possible for that other person to wear a proper mask?

Lol. When this talk of mandatory mask wearing started, plenty of people pointed out that not everyone could wear a mask - and they were ridiculed for that statement.

Now the very same thing is being used to justify mandatory mask wearing for all! Well what about deaf people who rely on lip reading? Why should their life be ranked as less important than someone else who refuses to wear a proper mask to protect themself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

NIAC approved booster doses weeks ago, we have the supply and capacity, but I haven't heard anything mentioned since about a start date. That would give the frail and immunocompromised the extra protection needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

Oh Christ!

I am vaccinated. I did my bit to protect the medically vulnerable.

The medically vulnerable person is most likely vaccinated.

Alternatively they have the option of home delivery if they are worried. Or they can do click and collect. Or they can wear increased PPE and go to the shop at quiet times.

There was no masks in the first lock down for the medically vulnerable.

This mask wearing come November is nothing more than the government avoiding declaring a "freedom day" and it gives some people comfort that covid is a thing as they struggle to accept its over and move on from it.

• Advertisement

According to the Mayo clinic masks do protect you. Obviously it suits the narrative around here to say people should wear masks to protect others. But quite simply if you are bothered by covid wear a mask.

Medical masks

Also called surgical masks, these are loosefitting disposable masks. They're meant to protect the wearer from contact with droplets and sprays that may contain germs. A medical mask also filters out large particles in the air when the wearer breathes in.

I've already said it but people have home delivery and click and collect options. No need to go use a shop.

And how many medically vulnerable people do you think are living their lives today only going to the shop and sitting at home the rest of the day scared of covid?

From what I've seen out and about no shortage of older people in pubs, restaurants and coffee shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

If after 18 months of this virus circulating the population and the vast, vast majority of the population jabbed and you are still scared. You should probably stay home. The rest of us can get on with life. It really is that simple at this stage no matter how much people turn themselves inside out trying to justify mask mandates and keeping certain restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

That quote makes no reference to viruses, aerosols, or covid-19.

Covid is spread by aerosols, surgical masks do not filter out aerosols.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

yes they do give personal protection from disease

they quite clearly do

like seriously 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Because it may not be possible for that other person to wear a proper mask? 

so masks for all because of what must be a vanishingly small cohort

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I'm sure they do, I'm just making a point.

*If* the vaccines do what they're supposed to do then people should forget about hiding, shunning, disemploying, banning others and turning society upside down.

Just get on with things and let others get on with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Is it Just me or does the HSPC definition of a 'Covid death' cover just about everyone who dies barring those killed by trauma

Yep, just order home delivery, no need to go to the shop at all.

I suppose its to protect the medically vulnerable shop worker we will be told next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭User1998

Its to protect the children who don’t have to wear masks but may get long covid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Honestly don't know if you're taking the piss or not. Sincerly hope it's the former!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Have to look at the other way too though imo. If there's only a slight benefit to it, how does that outweigh the financial and environmental cost of continuous mask wearing in all situations.

Like, if you take all 12+ wearing the proper disposable masks that have the largest benefit, you're looking at probably about 20m masks or more per week being used just in Ireland never mind anywhere else. That is serious environmental damage (I can't be the only one who finds it absolutely disgusting the amount that are just left on footpaths and parks, never mind what's going into dump sites) and has a large financial cost for the public and that can't be ignored since we're all vaccinated. The marginal benefit has a large cost and we've been ignoring that.

@titan18 wrote:

Have to look at the other way too though imo. If there's only a slight benefit to it, how does that outweigh the financial and environmental cost of continuous mask wearing in all situations.

We're not talking about all situations though. We're talking about mask-wearing in retail and public transport specifically. Outside of that people won't be wearing them.

I know there is a feeling of thumb-twiddling with a month to go and wondering why we haven't just dropped masks now. But the dates were picked based on the best available evidence at the time. There's still a bit of wobbling in the numbers, but we're past the emergency now. I would like to see the dates brought forward to reflect the current situation, but I do understand why sticking with the 22nd is prudent and not a huge deal in the grand scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think if they went with masks going on the 22nd, that would be ok, but I honestly expect mask laws to be there until 2022. I think public transport and health settings are the only ones you can feasibly go with as where it's useful. If I need a mask to walk around a large shopping centre like Dundrum, or a supermarket like Tesco, to me anyway, it's not worth the cons of all the mask usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Are you unaware or deliberately ignoring that the mask mandate is NOT being removed on the 22nd?

So everyone is absolutely clear, there is no date whatsoever either set or being suggested for when the requirement is to be removed. That is what people have issue with.

You actually have no idea whether or not the "mask mandate" is being removed on the 22nd, you just don't realise it.

So everyone is absolutely clear; "Mask Mandate" = "Laws written that require masks to be worn". At the moment, the only such law that we have, expires on 9th November.

As yet, no draft law has been presented to extend this, and there are some political hurdles that will have to be jumped through in order to pass one.

While the govt. has stated that masks will be required in some circumstances, it is possible to achieve this without legislation. i.e. without a "mask mandate".

I always appreciate frustration when plans are open-ended. But sometimes plans have to be open-ended when you're dealing with an issue that itself is open-ended. It's pretty clear that the intention of the "next phase" is to bring us through to Spring 2022 at the latest, at which point masks will be gone one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Somebody earlier in this thread mentioned that the time between announcement and implementation of mask wearing won't be long so it's highly likely to be announced on the 20th or 21st to take effect on freedom day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I get what you’re saying here but it does seem to ring like a bit of an endorsement of arbitrariness when it comes to personal and commercial freedom. The word “prudent”, as you use, does not denote the same meaning as overcaution. Prudence involves balance — and balance involves taking account of the full vista of the circumstances. If we are saying that another month is a prudent timeframe in the current circumstances — then why not 5 weeks, or 6 weeks, or 2 months, or simply wait it out until next Spring when the winter passes?

The date should be brought forward as far as I can see, because I don’t see what circumstances are expected to change dramatically from how they stand now and how they will stand in 4 weeks. If anything, I’d have some concern that leaving the reopening to a relatively late stage of the year might brings its own issues as we are opening the country right on the cusp of the winter respiratory illness season.

Advertisement