Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi drivers not accepting card payment

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

At busy times the drivers dont want to accept jobs off the App because they have to pay 20% of the fare to mytaxi/freenow when its paid by card. If you order the taxi and put in that payment will be by cash theres a better chance they,ll take the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

A lot of drivers do actually accept card payment

you will find that most drivers associated with traditional firms will have some sort of in vehicle card payment option such as chip & pin or sum up etc.

there was a law to be introduced last year that all taxis in the state had to provide an card payment option, however with covid, this may have been delayed.

of course, i know some drivers prefer not to use it and sometimes will tell you their machine is broken or whatever. once the law is in place, i don't believe that they can use that excuse,

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I didn't think this was an issue. Last two Taxi's I got in had a card reader and I was able to pay, no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Interesting and very overdue.

Ultimately for the sake of the industry it’s the right thing to introduce. If they can’t make money legitimately and need to commit fraud than maybe they should just look to change career.

This is the same every other profession, taxi drivers shouldn’t get an exception. It’s fraud and breaking the law at the end of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,493 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's an issue in as much that you'll never know if they will or not. The next two taxis you get may not accept cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

OK, fair point. So you think paying by card should be standard for any taxi? I agree. But surely the market will sort that out. When there is demand enough for card payments over cash, surely a quick "do you accept cards?" will suffice before you get in a taxi. If they don't, they will lose potential fares and it will be in their interest to accept card payments.

I think we're still just in a crossover period. It's not going to change overnight. But any Taxi driver worth their salt will have card facilities, IMO.

Um, well no I didn't say that I think paying by card should be the "standard". Where possible I'll use cash if I can for most things, especially a taxi. I don't trust that apps aren't taking their hidden cut etc that I only find out about a few days after. But in the case of taxis, if I know I'm going to be needing one, I'll have cash in my pocket. So whether they have a card or not doesn't affect me. But for people who want to use a card, it would be good for them if there was some sort of consistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Taxation is theft though - taxi drivers taking cash only is just and fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

No legal requirement for taxi men to take cards.

In Dublin, the one recent and welcome exception is Dublin Airport where DAA now make it a condition for an airport pickup permit to have a card machine.

If you wanted "consistency" I'd recommend you take the adage to heart "no one will turn down the cash"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Leaving the house for Sunday lunch, I order a taxi from the local company and they charge a flat 10 euro fare for all local trips - cash only.

Using free now for the home trip costs up to 17 euro.

Easy decision to make

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

When you rely on mobile internet there will always be times when it doesn't provide coverage.

Question is do they have the meter running? If not then that is likely to be tax avoidance as there is no record on the meter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

From reading the op's replies it, as Del Boy would say, gives my arse a headache.

Now op, you were told in post 2 what the craic was with cash only. It's a fiddle. Now you can keep getting back moaning and saying things like how "wrong" it is, the industry needs to wake up, fraud and why why why. All you will be doing is making yourself sound wet behind the ears more so.

Because as others have said this is a first world problem.

Michael Barry might disagree about there being no records

Idiotic mentality if I’m honest.

As a tax payer myself, I am well within my rights to be annoyed at people who blatantly get away with not paying it. It’s fraud and the “first world problem” excuse is not a reason to turn a blind eye to it.

Idiotic mentality?

OK mate. You keep on living in your bubble.

turning a blind eye to something because you personally consider it to be “first world problems,” is completely subjective (if you know what that word even means.)

You could apply the same logic to any issue, hence, it’s a completely idiotic mentality, mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Yes - I am aware that it is tax avoidance.

My point is a 70% difference in price forces the customer to make a choice on which option to take

• Advertisement

there is absolutely nothing wrong with tax avoidance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,511 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

doing a job for cash and not declaring it is tax evasion not tax avoidance. there is something wrong with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It's 15% commission regardless of the payment method.

The Driver is not made aware of the payment method until they have picked up the passenger and clicked the "passenger on board" button.

It's a grey area I find. Of course on the surface you can say it is wrong as it's not legal. Yet so many do it. In so many industries.

But I class it as one of those things in life where it depends on what side of the coin you are on. By that I mean "I gain" or "I don't gain". A person can say how it's wrong and no-one should do it but would have no issue when they are presented with earning on a nixer. Suddenly that's different. Sure, everyone is at it, right?

Then there are also those who say it's wrong but are complicit with it. Ever deal with a tradesmen and who only takes cash and gives no receipt? that's a total nixer. Sure ever get a takeaway delivered to your door? that's also a nixer! (Dominos hire drivers I hear tho)

People fiddle and you can't be too honest on this earth. That's not a total excuse to be an absolute rogue. But you can't play everything straight either. That's a smuck.

Nonsense. There is no "grey area". Something is either something or it's not. And in this case we're talking about tax evasion. Not tax avoidance. They're not getting their accountant to write off the tax with some clever number crunching. They're just not declaring it in the first place.

And that doesn't change irrespective of the fact that other people do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,511 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

it is not a grey area. Not declaring income is illegal. it couldn't be more black and white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m not sure of the regulations but the taxi vehicle should not be considered in a roadworthy condition as a taxi unless it has a working card machine and printable receipts... lots of companies now won’t accept a handwritten and barely legible receipt as proof of expenses.. rightly too...

keep enough receipt rolls in the car and the receipt machine in good order,

A moral "grey area" yes. That being defined by personally hearing people say how not paying tax (evasion, as tony says) is wrong but then gladly doing nixers themselves later. If not grey area then what?

Come on lads, now. I opened up my post with "It's a grey area I find. Of course on the surface you can say it is wrong as it's not legal. Yet so many do it. In so many industries." - I even mentioned legal. I then go on to describe personal gain and those who are complicit with it. Yet you two "rabble rabble illegal"

F*ck me. I have to stop using boards.

• Advertisement

No. There is no "grey area" here. It's tax evasion full stop. It's the non declaration of taxable income. It doesn't matter who else is doing it and you saying that "many do it" doesn't make any less black and white.

Also, instead of stopping using Boards, perhaps just understand when you've made a mistake of logic and accept it? It's not that difficult.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement