Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭banie01

90 minutes to Shanghai reopening after the Autumn holiday.

Evergrande's woes, the possibility of a flight to cash in China and the knock on effect of any contagion are all coinciding with a Fed meeting and the US still not agreeing new debt ceiling. Plenty of other market risks at play currently too but I think that 1:30am and just how the Chinese market reacts will speak volumes as to whether this is a bump or a cliff.

Yesterday's losses and today's flat market point towards institutional worries re:risk IMO.

Will check in in the morning and likely find I'm wrong 😉😂

Good luck to anyone in on Chinese equities.

Flat, not at all what I was expecting and quite surprising tbh. There were 3-4% drops on the Shanghai pre-market, which were balanced by a near total claw back before market close.

Nikkei was flat too after 2% losses the day before. Does this mean that Asia has priced in the Chinese risk? Or that markets are still undecided as to how to react and are awaiting a direction from PBOC?

Evergrande's bond coupon due today was met for Onshore coupon. I've yet to see a breakdown on whether that payment had a haircut as yet? But until I see definite info? I'm going to act as if there is a haircut, that Offshore and Overseas bond holders are on the hook to be burned.

I think that PBOC may well continue to play this out until Friday, with a post market announcement as to their plan for dealing with the issues.

That kicks the uncertainty can out for markets to next Monday before a fuller reaction is priced in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I'm not entirely sure what to make of the relative flatlining today but I imagine that Evergrande/China/RoW are by no means out of the woods yet. This could be a slow bleed process over many weeks and months instead of simply exploding one day the market opens. Those repayments for Thursday are alleged to have been taken care of but what about the next repayment and the next? And can we infer from this development that to some extent the CCP has decided to step in and work some sort of magic from the wings?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I suppose the logic is that if it was going to collapse, they might as well have done it now, rather than throwing money at the problem today and letting it collapse next month. If they were gonna do that then today's money is wasted

The onshore bond was denominated in Yuan and there has been zero mention of what kind of discount (if any) was negotiated on that coupon. The PBOC are providing liquidity to the market but no detail on the structure of that support seems to be available just yet.

Tomorrow will be far more interesting IMO, as an offshore dollar denominated coupon is due. This will give a clearer picture of what the PBOC intend to do. My current thinking is that they aim to support the Onshore debt as it is primarily Chinese and the Chinese "middle class" in particular that are exposed to the Evergrande debt. The investment options available to mainland Chinese are quite limited due to capital controls and they are even crazier for property than the Irish.

My thinking is that the PBOC aim to protect that segment by at the very least softening the blow to local coupon holders. The USD debt due tmrw places an FX burden on the PBOC if they cover the payment. Not an obligation they want and one that even taking on the assets of Evergrande won't offset.

The options are IMO China nationalises it which I think is unlikely, or it forces a restructuring on Evergrande with a debt for equity swap. That would aim to protect their domestic investors and ensure that there is a continuation of confidence in the market structure in China at the very least.

JP Morgan have alluded to other banks carrying risk by their highlighting how the are carrying zero counterparty credit risk.

The risk of further contagion is IMO very much based around the default impacting upon unconnected counterparties who are using CDS derivatives and similar vehicles to gain exposure to this market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

There's been talk on Bloomberg of evergrande being split into three separate entities as part of a restructuring, with part of it being nationalised and assuming protecting domestic investors. Remains to be seen how they will treat the offshore bondholders.

Important to remember who holds the debt here and who will be affected, the climb in share price has to be some of those bond holders trying to instill some kind of confidence, given how much they are potentially on the hook for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Sell Sell Sell!

Could the CCP be about to deliver an object lesson to its citizens and to the broader market on the reality of capitalism?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭VonLuck

My buy order says rejected in my activity section! What the hell. Really annoyed at that. Why would that happen?

Edit: Nevermind. In my history section is says rejected, but it is listed on my portfolio. Strange.

A question I have is why is it listed as "Non-tradeable"? Should it not merge with the original listing?

It should eventually, My recollection of rights on degiro is that they straighten themselves out in a few days

• Advertisement

Finally QS is on a run...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Howdy folks.

@weemcd, they're back on their slow bleed again, however I'm actually thinking of adding some...think they have a few in the pipeline and you would only need 1 to click :)

@Shedite - do you plan to hold them...planning to sell them and buy somethign which is moving.

Yeah, still holding PSTH. At this stage it's trading at $19.73 - when they complete the deal, we'll get $20 plus a warrant in a new SPAC so might as well hang on now. Might clear this month or 6 months, that's the main problem.

Also, have ya seen what UMG did this week? That's what PSTH was supposed to get shares in - up 35% on IPO day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

All of this is making me wonder if a place on the sideline is needed right now (with funds at the ready of course). But judging by how the market does exactly the opposite of what makes sense we're probably at the start of a giant senseless bull run....😐️

I know, with PSTH Ackermans reputation is on line....hope he pulls a rabbit out of the hat.

The PSTH/UMC deal collapsing means all the profit that should have gone to PSTH shareholders (ie me) went to him and his hedge fund instead. HE made $1.6bn on Monday

https://www.institutionalinvestor.com/article/b1tpd3k78fxvrb/Bill-Ackman-s-Pershing-Square-Just-Had-a-1-6-Billion-Payday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭crushproof

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

It looks like that is what is going happen.

"A Thursday deadline for paying $83.5m (£61m) in bond interest passed without remark from Evergrande, and bondholders had not been paid nor heard from the company, two people familiar with the situation told Reuters"

The question for me with this is "won't pay or can't pay"

"The trouble engulfing Evergrande is only the tip of the iceberg in China’s once unrestrained property market. UBS estimates there are 10 developers with potentially risky positions with combined contract sales of 1.86tn yuan (£209.7bn)– or 2.7 times Evergrande’s size."

If these 10 developers have the same debt level of Evergrande then you are looking at the trillions of dollars of debt. This is only the property market.

Here is another sector in China facing debt issues

I wonder how many more there are?

I hadn't raised the moral hazard question myself but I see the Guardian do and if it was a "Western" market I'd feel a bit more comfortable opining on it.

As I honestly couldn't comment in how China would view that aspect of any action they take, without guessing. In western markets it's a mode of market protection that is borne out of capitalism as an ideology IMO.

In a market structure that sees capitalism and in particular excess individual wealth as an anathema? Surely the moral hazard for China would be in allowing continued unrestrained market excess?

I suggested a couple of options that the Chinese might pursue and I personally think it will be a path of insulation for the internal market and in particular the individual investors.

I see that happening by splitting Evergrande into separate units, Housing, Commercial, EV and so on, lumbering the offshore debt on everything but the housing arm and offering debt for equity swap at best on those arms.

The housing arm, either nationalised or folded in to other property companies with the buyers protected and the buildings finished. Currently residential property is far too important an economic marker for China for it to be abandoned.

Offshore bondholders are going to be burned, it's IMO just a question of how badly. That fire will spread based on the amount of derivatives with Evergrande and other Chinese debt wrapped up in them IMO? The divestment of that risk cannot be immediate but the hedge for it is what I'm off to start looking for. Not for me, I have zero exposure but I think that if a hedge can be identified? Movements on that market will give a more reasoned value to the current risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Here's hoping. I looked at my portfolio last night and I had a shock when I saw that the shares I had purchased had disappeared, wiping the value of them off entirely! I'm guessing this is some kind of transition period...

• Advertisement

Hello folks, just wanted to knowwhat are peoples general view about crypto at this stage...On one hand we have some countries who made it a legal tender but on other hand China making crypto transactions illegal....my view is it'll continue to prod along and would be willing to accumulate a bit more of Argo and may be Mara if it dips further. I added good few of Argo in the last dip when they went under 100p and have been recovering nicely until last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Well the president of El Salvador recently gave some presidential advice on crypto.

You can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

You can buy shares in Argo

That was a good pick last year

Still happy to hold Argo. It floated on Nasdaq this week and discounted the share price to entice institutions. It caused a pullback for any existing shareholders. Sucks for us, but it's what most companies do when uplisting. It should do well once it settles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

It’s still very early in relation the adaptation of cryptocurrencies. I expect in the next few years, more institutional investors and other financial heavyweights will invest in it. I’m fundamentally a believer in the technology behind Bitcoin, and to a lesser extent, Ethereum. Other altcoins are interesting but most of what I do is based on the aforementioned coins’ first mover advantages.

China does something similar to this every year, it makes the price dip slightly and then usually it recovers. As crypto becomes more mainstream, there will be more challenges. I think the European Union is trying to outlaw Monero too.

However, in the free market anything is possible. It’s unlikely that most standard cryptocurrencies will ever reach a point where they threaten the sovereignty of a nation state. So long as they’re not regulated for too heavily, I think crypto is a solid investment and pretty much everyone should have some crypto in their portfolio going forward. Who knows what the prices will be five, ten or twenty years from now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Crypto is just an elaborate ponzi scheme. Sit down and work out the intrinsic value of any crypto currency. That will tell you, all you need to know.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

"Crypto" is a very general term and it's not fair to lump them all together. Some shitcoins are useless and ponzi-ish but the main ones, bitcoin and some of the larger cap coins, are disrupting lots of industries and will likely be the way of the future.

Traditional currencies are the real shitcoins and will only devalue over time so it's probably not wise to hold all your wealth in one currency. Much safer to spread it out between crypto, equities, real estate, and other asset classes. Not bonds though, they seem beyond useless nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I watched the coffeezilla video on Tether and expect it to go tits up one day. Tether sounds like the biggest Ponzi scheme.

In just one year, Tether has gone from 15bn market cap to 68bn market cap today. Tether is supposed to be backed 1:1 so do you really think in just one year that people went to tether direct and minted coins in return for 50bn? In fact it's more than 50bn as you're supposed to be able redeem your money from tether so coins get destroyed so it's way above 50bn that went to tether, not to coinbase or whatever.

Tether is run by a shady number of people with history of dodgy financial dealings.

What is likely happening is that tether are just creating coins, giving them to someone on the exchange and then using the USDT to buy bitcoin, thus pushing up the price. Then they can sell it for real cash.

It's got the potential to be a bigger ponzi than Madoff. One day chicken will come home to roost. I think we'll wake up one morning and see their CEO has been arrested for fraud or something and the prices will tank. Disclaimer, I have over 1k of crypto, I'm gonna let it ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Well tell me what the intrinsic value of bitcoin is and how you came to that value?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Advertisement