Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Laws work fine in all communities, because why would law abiding communities need laws, if you know what I mean?!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Twist it all you want, the statement "Most Irish people want the State to take in more than 230 Afghan refugees" from the poll is correct.

27% said 230 is the right number of refugees to take in. 53% want to take in more refugees (34% + 19%). Only 16% said that they wanted less than 230 refugees or none (8% + 8%).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Even those who don’t give a damn about the fact that the law still applies to them equally as it does anyone else, they generally speaking try to avoid being caught when they violate any given law, precisely because they are aware that they are bound by the law as everyone else.

The law still operates as it does, the judicial process operates as it does, and the punishment for antisocial behaviour is constrained by the fact that in many cases it’s determined that a custodial sentence isn’t beneficial either to the individual or to society.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No twisting required. By that poll while a yes majority reckon 230 or more is OK, that has a clear cut off point of just 1000 people. A tiny number(the British have Ok'd twenty times that number). A minority want more than that. The clear majority want between zero and a thousand Afghan refugees. And these are people who are actually fleeing genuine and current danger from a rogue and harsh state. Hardly a resounding poll for more immigration as far as Irish people go. Indeed further on we see 88% want the state to provide more integration of such people and while only one in seven would vot for an anti immigration party, the Journal says one in four equate immigration control to holding a racist belief but that means three in four, a majority, don't. A majority also reckon that both the EU and the Irish government hasn't handled immigration well over the last decade. Of course the poll didn't flesh out the whys.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I find it extraordinary that "one in four equate immigration control to holding a racist belief"

Is the entire world racist in their opinion or are they just lacking in any critical thinking skills?

I suppose we can take solice in the fact that 3/4 reject that ridiculous notion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah yes the law will save us.

Then again it mightn't, as in the case of thousands of young white girls from working class areas in Britain that were sexually used and abused because the laws were simply ignored by authorities lest they antagonise people of a certain religious persuasion and from certain areas of the world.

And please don't give us some guff about the catholic church or vast majority of abuse carried out by relatives in response.

We are tired of whataboutery being used as an excuse and defense.

The shyte trotted out by some in defense of the actions of adherents of a certain religion throughout Europe in the last couple of decades.

We have someone conflating the murder of someone in a drunken brawl with the preplanned premeditated savage murders of totally innocent people simply because of their race and non religion.

The fooking shyte about dead is dead and murder is murder is frankly disgusting, and ranks up there with the muppets in the past claiming terrorist attacks with trucks was equivalent to bus or train crashes.

Then we get some shyte added in about how all relegions are bad when every dog in the street knows which one today has members slaughtering others in the name of that religion.

No wonder some trott out the line everytime there is another attack that it must be the amish at it again.

And then there is the other old chestnut dragged up in response to the accusation that majority muslim countries are backwards despotic shyteholes in the main.

Yes we have a few majority muslim countries that have some form of secular rule, but really when you delve down into those countries you find that more conservative islamic political movements are on the rise, fundamentalism is on the rise and that the liberal secularism we are told about doesn't or hasn't always existed outside the major more westernised urban areas.

bubblypop has experience of European islamic majority countries, but they must surely have to acknowledge the spread of more hardcore islam into this countries in the last couple of decades.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 12,572 ✭✭✭✭Sand

A poll paid for by the Journal and conducted by a company run by a guy who worked for 4 years at the British Labour Party. Yeah right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think you're looking at this in the wrong way. Indeed the majority is in support but that support usually means that they have nothing against it, not that they want it, whereas the ones against are really against.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

The poll shows that most Irish people want the State to take in more than 230 Afghan refugees than the government has committed to. The politicians should listen to the majority of the people and not the squeaky wheels.

To say "one in four equate immigration control to holding a racist belief means that three in four don't" is a statistics fallacy. Its 62% that don't believe that someone is racist if they wish to control immigration. Regardless, you can believe in having immigration control while still believing that we can accept more into the country, as the main statistic shows.

Yes, the majority reckon that the EU didn't handle immigration well over the last decade, but no mention was made of the Irish government. If the people are unhappy with how the Irish government has handled immigration over the last decade, you would be forgiven for believing from the poll that this is because they have not committed to helping enough refugees.

This is reds-under-the-bed conspiracy stuff.

As statisticians fallacies go, tbh the interpretative narrative of the poll results by the journal IS stretching well beyond what the poll actually represents. On the specific question about whether someone believes a person is racist if they wish to control immigration, it was the squeaky wheels who were of the opinion that a person who holds such views is racist -

Solidarity and PBP supporters. No surprise there.

From the way the poll was conducted, it does appear to have been conducted in the same way YouGov in the UK does their poll weighting along political and geographic lines, given that of the 5,000 people invited to participate in the survey, 1,000 respondents were chosen as being representative of Irish society as a whole. It appears as though the inputs were manipulated to produce the output that those commissioning the survey wanted, and the journal did the rest of the heavy lifting in it’s interpretation of the results of the poll.

Your own interpretation of the journals interpretation only increases the inaccurate representation of the opinions of people in Irish society regarding immigration control and in particular their views on the Government’s response to taking in refugees from Afghanistan.

You’re forgiven for interpreting the results of the poll in such a way as supports your opinions, I’m certainly not going to beat you over the head with it, but the poll itself is not representative of Irish society when they cherry picked the participants in order to present a narrative which doesn’t represent Irish society as a whole, but is rather based upon the characteristics which suited the commissioners of the survey. In short, the poll and it’s various interpretations is simply a demonstration of selection bias in action, and quite obviously as much.

EDIT: Unsurprisingly btw, from the same people who brought you the classic -

What is an 'affordable home'? Most people put the price at between €200,000 and €299,000

And again their interpretation of “most people” is sketchy af -

Overall, 50% of the public suggested that a price between €200,000 and €299,000 was ‘affordable’.

https://www.thejournal.ie/affordable-housing-poll-5477459-Jun2021/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

The funniest claim from them was on a thread a year or two ago when they compared terrorism to a peanut allergy.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

It always seems the people who are in favour of mass immigration correlate with the people who don’t have to live in the areas where the immigrants go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The poll shows that most Irish people want the State to take in more than 230 Afghan refugees than the government has committed to. The politicians should listen to the majority of the people and not the squeaky wheels.

1) it's a majority on a single poll. 2) Ok let's agree with your position, but the same "most Irish people" want the state to not take in more than 1000 Afghan refugees. Only 19%, that I hate to break it to you is not "most Irish people" who want more than that. A 1000 is a tiny number and this is regarding current in the news and public eye actual refugees fleeing a coup and rogue state out for blood where more support and sympathy would naturally be expected. I wonder how the exact same poll would go if we swapped out Afghani refugees for economic migrants coming across the Mediterranean. Not nearly so well I'd be willing to bet.

If the people are unhappy with how the Irish government has handled immigration over the last decade, you would be forgiven for believing from the poll that this is because they have not committed to helping enough refugees.

In imaginary land where all agree with one's position maybe, in reality we simply don't know from that poll. Again the clear majority polled said 1000 refugees or under. Not exactly resounding result as far as bringing in refugees is it?

Solidarity and PBP supporters. No surprise there.

Yeah, those mainstream highly represented political parties... I found it interesting that among the party affiliations that "had the highest number of respondents who said Ireland should take in no Afghan refugees" FF and Aountu aren't a shock but Sinn Fein voters are. That's a little at odds with their party's policies.

And even with the Journal's poll cherrypicked selection bias we're still left with a majority who don't want to take in more than a thousand Afghan refugees. If a majority even a third said we'd like more than a thousand refugees support for such a programme would be on firmer ground, but it clearly isn't.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

‎‎‎‎

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Christianity is increasing worldwide. What you are complaining about is the inter-spreading of religions everywhere in the world, not just to the west. This is a by product of globalisation.

Kinda but not quite. Like you say Christianity is indeed growing worldwide, but almost entirely outside of the West in Asia and Africa. The decline of churchgoers in Europe over the last half century has been stark. It's even declining in the US of A where Gaaawd is also somewhat in retreat. What inter spreading of faiths that is going on is mostly happening outside the West too, again in areas like Asia and Africa. In the West, Europe in particular what growth there is of the faithful are Christians and Muslims from outside Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,266 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Well here is a thing, in Europe and beyond there are no people killing in the name of the Church Of Ireland, god / Jesus , Judaism, Jehovah etc... on the other hand murders are occurring in the name of Islam

Depends entirely on the nature of the immigrants. High skilled and educated people coming here legally for existing positions can live all over the place, but mostly in the same areas their local peers live. Those less skilled and educated and "undocumented" or those that came here before the birthright loophole was closed quite naturally tend to go to lower cost, or public housing and would be more likely to seek out areas, mostly urban, where people more like themselves have already set up home. Actual refugees and asylum seekers follow this trend less and can be found in all sorts of places including more rural areas.

So what?

It doesn't matter what name they are claiming to be killing people for.

They are still murderers. If convicted they still get the same conviction.

• Advertisement

So the poster who claimed 'people in favour of immigration don't live where immigrants live' means what exactly?

Considering immigrants live in all areas.

The disconnect between the Sinn Fein party and their elected representatives in the Republic and those who vote for them is hilarious when it comes to immigration. Complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

Sinn Fein in the North is probably a different story and they are probably closer aligned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

The law abiding communities need laws to protect them from the none-law abiding citizenry......😀.

I'm only going to make one comment on your post Jack as I cant be bothered with the rest of your reply. How do Muslims learn about Islam, and to become Muslims? I'll let you into a little secret Jack, from a very early age, and I mean "early", they go to a muslim school, ( Local Mosque ) Jack, and learn all about Islam, reading, writing and studying Hadiths etc. Now that might not fit your definition of education, as the main subject taught is taken from the Quran, and its true that the majority of Afghans are unable to read or write English, French, German etc. But Pashto / Dari??? Different story. And as for Pakistan, its Urdu ( but there are several other languages spoken as well, depending on the region ) And as for learning from a very young age, google "Pakistani Madrassas". ( again it dedicated to the Quran, over western languages, but on the other hand, these madrassas have produced some of the finest Taliban ( Finest being subjective in this case ) that the world has ever seen.

That’s generally how anyone is taught religion though, it’s an all-encompassing world view or philosophy or way of living, whatever terms suits yourself. It’s what underlies your belief that Islam is going to take over the West - the idea that because Muslims have more children than people in the West, they’re going to outnumber people in the West at some point on the far off future. It’s unlikely at any rate, but even their numbers won’t mean they will gain any political influence in Western society. At best they appear to be taking their sweet time mounting an offensive against Western democratic ideals, what with the length of time they’ve been in the West and all. Perhaps once they overcome the numerous barriers to their being seen as equals and not obstacles, they might have some hope of mounting some sort of a credible threat to Western democratic ideals.

In the meantime, the point I made was not in relation to what children are taught as children, but rather their abilities (or lack thereof) as adults, which is why I made a point of referring to the adult literacy rate in Afghanistan. Nothing so fancy at all as being proficient in European languages, just the basic stuff, because that’s how adult literacy is defined -

Definition: Adult literacy rate is the percentage of people ages 15 and above who can both read and write with understanding a short simple statement about their everyday life.

Northern Ireland wouldn't have peace if the conflict was viewed that way. Thatcher viewed it that way to some extent and it made it worse.

No, that's not true.

peace negotiations went on involving all parties. Intelligence building and infiltration of terrorist groups was still also happening.

but those terrorists that murdered others, were still murderers. They were still dealt with by the justice system.

You can have these things simultaneously.

Jack, when( and more importantly "IF" ) you decide to live for a few months or more in an Islamic Country, say Syria, Pakistan, or Afghanistan ( soon be open to tourism ( or maybe not......Ins'h Allah, but lots more of Stans out there to choose from ) and you have increased your understanding of Islam beyond what would fit on a postage stamp ( your words),and you but more weight on personal experience, rather then dismissing them as hearsay, or denigrating them to the status of "Just personal opinion " IE: worthless. Then we will continue this discussion.

Jm I can tell you right now I have no interest in any Islamic country, I hate flying for one thing, but for so many other reasons. I did go to Corfu once about 20 years back when two weeks holidays was the “done thing”, lovely island, nice people, but the whole experience wasn’t for me, I didn’t enjoy it at all.

That’s why I choose to remain here in Ireland, where I don’t imagine my knowledge of Islam will be any further increased, as long as there are no family occasions where I have to meet my sister and her husband. The husbands from one of the Stans, couldn’t tell you which one, but he has my sympathies 😂

The point you keep missing though, is that I’m not interested in multiculturalism in the Stans, I’m interested in discussing multiculturalism here in the West, more specifically in Ireland, and how it relates to Irish society. It’s obviously a different conversation you want to be having if you’re telling me I have to visit the Stans to experience Islam in the Stans for myself, but that’s never been my point.

I have no doubt that on their home turf Islam is a very different beast to the influence it has in Western society, which is effectively none, as it is by far overshadowed by the dominant culture, and even more so in Ireland where if I didn’t work with them or my son didn’t attend school with them, I’d likely have little interaction with people from the Stans at all.

You’re kinda like my mate from Uganda though, she’s Catholic, same as myself, and she used be “warning” me against allowing my son to play with the neighbours children who are Muslims, that they’d convert him and all the rest of it. That sort of fearmongering bothered me more than being concerned about any idea of my son being converted to Islam tbh. Wouldn’t matter if he was Catholic, Muslim, whatever else, as long as he treats people with respect regardless of their religious beliefs or none or whatever other funky ideas they have going on. He’s not compelled to participate any more than you can be compelled to continue a conversation when it’s clear you’d rather not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

I was always curious about persons from the *stans marrying Europeans, like it's always men from *stans marrying European women and always it's the women that convert to the foreign religion rather than the men converting to the local religion.

Advertisement