Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merchant charging 10% fee for cash back

Options
  • 21-09-2021 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Folks,

Just wondering if anyone has come across this before. I was a wedding at the weekend, and needed to get "cashback" from the bar so that I had some money to pay for a taxi. Anyway the bar man advised that there was a 10% fee of the value of amount i was requesting. This seems very strange and is something i haven't ever come across before. So anyway after some protest i agreed (which im still regretting 😩). So ive been thinking about this since & this feels illegal since there is no charge on the merchant to give the customer cashback. Im going to go back to the hotel and complain anyway (prob through twitter), but was wondering if there was anything official on this anywhere that somebody could point me towards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did you get a receipt showing the charge or was it down as just the amount requested plus the 10% bundled as one normal transaction. So for example you wanted €100 cashback but the receipt and payment amount shows you wanted and were given was €110 with the hotel/staff member pocketing the €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It is prohibited by law to make a surcharge for a card payment. However, I'm not certain whether this also applies to cashback, so I'd thread carefully on accusing the place of doing anything illegal.

It is possible that the barman was adding his own charge.

Also, did you use a debit card or ask them to put a credit cad charge through and give you cash in exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭gerryg80

Ya i didn't request a receipt unfortunately. Drinks were say 10.50 and i requested 50 euro cash back. Total charge was then 65.50 on my card was then (10.50 + 55).

I used my debit card. Bar man made it explicitly clear, that it was "not going into his pocket" and was the policy of the establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd contact hotel first to see what is there take on it, tell them the time it occured to see what they come back with first. Seems dodgy from a Revenue point of view too, undeclared income being syphoned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭POBox19

Not right. Contact your bank ASAP and the Central Bank too. You have rights and were just robbed of them.

Post edited by POBox19 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No "naming and shaming" on here, this isn't Liveline with RTEs defamation lawyers should something be wrong.

The central bank?

Since when did they regulate the hospitality industry?

That's one of the most ridiculous comments here for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

While you should not be charged for using the card, I wonder were you charged for the "service" of the cashback.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Just as well they weren't named, with you accusing them of theft. The central bank has nothing to do with this.

Can't see a problem with a company charging for a 'service' - they have to pay for the equipment and probably a handling charge in any case.

"You have rights and were just robbed of them" - You also have the right to trudge out of the building, down the street, find an ATM and get the cash for free. Is it raining outside? Your call.

My opinion only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The hotel just saved the bank handling costs on €50 in cash. Probably saved more than the cost of the card transaction. Charging a fiver is having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Exactly. I always thought that one of the reasons retailers offered cashback in the first place was to a) reduce the amount of cash they have on the premises in case of theft and b) banks now charge them to lodge cash, so you're saving them money by doing it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Anything to do with using an electronic payment method is a financial transaction and is regulated by the financial regulator. The hotel would have an agreement with the merchant service provider and Visa/Mastercard do not allow them to charge extra for using cards

and I state clearly that it is prohibited by law (not just regulation) to charge an additional fee for a card transaction for a purchase.

However, it is not clear whether that includes cashback which is not considered a purchase.

Contacting the central bank is so over the top for this issue that is is simply ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

If the barman made it clear that there was a charge for the cashback facility before the transaction and you agreed with it then there is no issue.

It may well be against the T&Cs of the terminal provider but that's between the bar and them.

I don't agree with the practice and think its short-sighted on the bars behalf but maybe they have their reasons as they may not have a lot of cash transactions and as a result don't keep a large float on hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Any update from the OP after contacting the hotel?

Advertisement