Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Higgins Praises Travellers Contribution to Irish Society

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You obviously don't care about women's rights though, since apparently traveller women don't count?

It isn't about their culture being different to mine. It's about recognising obvious abuses and the recognition of these transcend "understanding" of culture. Your "understanding" seemingly is to give them a free pass

So then again I'll ask, is the way women are treated in traveller culture, ok in your view?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Like many progressives, he believes the likes of Travellers cannot be held to the same standards

Bigotry of low expectations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Travellers selected by Pavee Point, an organisation which claims to represent travellers interests, but in reality is more interested in feathering their own nests and gaining funding for their own organisation. You’ll have to forgive me that I take their reports with a pinch of salt, I’m familiar enough with them to know they don’t represent the traveller community.

I’m not suggesting that you be wilfully blind to the issues you perceive within the traveller community, I’m suggesting that they are issues for you and the small number of travellers who share your point of view of what are issues for them within their community. It would be prejudicial to assume that their views are representative of the traveller community as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Butson

Dreamer.

I come from a town with a substantial traveller population in it. Honestly, it is just nothing but trouble from them. Everything from fighting, robbing, intimidation and now they are increasingly involved in the drug trade....even down to simple things like two youth boxing clubs having to shut in the town because they bring their feuds into the clubs (and refuse to pay the €2 fee that everybody else pays for training sessions).

They are given every chance to integrate into society. They simply do not want to. How much money are they costing the Irish tax payer every year in social welfare, housing, free legal aid and all the other bells and whistles you get here?

The worst thing was giving them separate ethnic status. They will hide behind this forever, cheered on by the bottomless money pit of Irish NGOs and do-gooders.

No, that’s simply not the case at all, regardless of whether or not progressives are of that particular view. It’s simply a fact that travellers aren’t held to the same standards as everyone else when the spotlight is being shone upon them as though the negative behaviours and attitudes which you attribute to them because they are travellers, aren’t observed within society in general. They are, but you’re simply choosing to ignore that point. I’d suggest that was the bigotry of higher expectations of travellers tbh.

• Advertisement

No, the reason I don’t care for the term “women’s rights” is because it could be referring to anything which the person perceives as a right, when in reality it isn’t. Certainly it’s not that traveller women don’t count, when the point I’m making is that traveller women’s opinions of their own culture don’t appear to count for a whole lot in your view.

I think it’s unacceptable for anyone to experience abuse, harassment and discrimination at the hands of anyone else, regardless of their being members of a group who are identified as a protected characteristic in Irish law.

It’s on that basis that I make no distinction between whether anyone is a traveller or not, they should still be treated as equals, and they are treated as equals in law. It’s one thing to say there are a higher proportion of travellers in prison, it’s quite something else to suggest they should all be in prison because they don’t conform to civilised societies standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Travellers are victims of their reputation, a reputation that was gained, not given.

No, I mean the suggestion that all travellers should be punished in some way for the behaviour of a minority of members of their community. By all means punish people for breaking the law or antisocial behaviour and whatever else, but hold everyone to the same standards, as opposed to holding travellers to a higher standard because they’re travellers, or assuming they too aren’t as disgusted by antisocial behaviour as anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

and yet the media have been reporting it.

if you are unhappy with the coverage, then perhapse when people change their attitudes then the media will be able to give even greater coverage to such events, the media understandably do not want to be in any way responsible for causing greater issues for the community from the usual types.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

because it's irrelevant, and it's not on the media to placate you.

they reported the facts, the incident was disgraceful, the group responsible for it engaged in criminality, that is all that matters.

ethnic status, skin color, all else irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

In your opinion of course, it certainly is not irrelevant to people who live in the community we're this appalling incident occurred.

Perhaps your fine with media not reporting the full facts, I'm certainly not .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

yeah, none.

the prison staff are for all of the prisoners, and even then there may not be enough of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

What a pile of old nonsense that is. Can you stack it any higher?

You should try opening the other eye, jack! You've been blinded by one-sided rhetoric.

So tell me, does traveler "culture" supercede all our societal standards and norms for the treatment of women? (or anyone else) And what about the laws of the land? Are they null and void too, because "their culture" says so?

You've got to have basic fundamental standards for how people are treated and how people behave in any civilized society. Once you start making weak excuses for a particular group, it is in fact YOU that are marginalizing them by proxy. You are doing them a great disservice by not expecting/asking them to raise the bar to a certain basic acceptable level of behavior. You actually make it harder for them to ever properly assimilate into society by doing this.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

not so-called at all, actual discriminated against, and actual ethnic minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

You really don't understand what you're talking about.

The majority are the issue. A minority of travellers behave themselves and are disgusted by antisocial behaviour. One only has to look at the prison statistics to confirm this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@DarkJager21 do not post in this thread again

A reminder to all posters, sweeping generalisations or calls for violence against people, or groups, will mean a threadban at the very minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

By your logic, if we look at the US prison statistics then we can conclude that black people are inherently antisocial.

Maybe it's not as strong a point you thought?

the bigotry and all else the traveling community receive is not self inflicted, but inflicted upon them by bigots looking for someone to be bigoted toards and discriminate against, so that they can feel they are above someone else.

they can't get away with it with other groups any longer, at least not without challenge, but they still can to an extent with travelers, while using all sorts of excuses to do it, which they don't really care about in reality given they vote for the same government structure who refuse to deal with those issues that they don't actually care about really, but are just using them as a stick to beat the traveling community with because they can.

It appears as though you think we’re in competition as to how high we can stack it, but I’ll concede that your own position is definitely higher 😁

No, travellers being recognised in Irish law as having their own distinct culture and ethnicity doesn’t mean they supersede any standards set out in Irish law which everyone is expected to conform to.

It’s precisely for this reason that there are a higher proportion of travellers in prison than any other group in Irish society, and I can point to plenty of examples of people who should be in prison, such as the young lads who shoved a girl under a train a few weeks back, and were it not for the fact that they were caught on CCTV released to the public, most people wouldn’t have been aware it ever happened.

We already have basic fundamental standards in Irish society in which people are expected to behave in accordance with Irish law. A minority of people in any group, imagine that Irish law doesn’t apply to them, both travellers and people who aren’t travellers, and most travellers already act in accordance with Irish law, but your expectation that they should all be tarred with the one brush is what makes it more difficult for them to participate in Irish society as equals. I don’t expect them to assimilate into Irish society according to your personal standards, it’s unlikely anyone but yourself holds those standards you expect of everyone else.

I understand both what I’m talking about, and I understand what you’re talking about when you suggest looking at prison statistics to support your opinion that the majority of travellers are an issue and that only a minority of travellers behave themselves and are disgusted by antisocial behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

A friend of mine who is a teacher had two traveller girls in her class.

They never paid for the books or other activities. The friend, despite what all the other teachers told her, thought that this was just because they were very poor. So she used to pay for them to go on tours etc. Then one day she met them out with their mother in the shops at Christmas and she gave them €20 each. The mother said "You cant give my children money and not give me money". She handed her her last tenner.

For months after that there was a string of them calling to her house looking for money and complaining she gave other money and was discriminating against them because she wouldnt give them money too. Adults these were.

The American justice and penal systems are completely different to the Irish one, there is no comparison to be had. Did Ireland kidnap and enslave travellers for 100s of years, buying and selling them and their children like cattle? No they f*****g didn't. Don't use racist America to try and prove some kind of stupid strawman argument.

nope realist.

there was thankfully no option but to give them separate ethnic status given they are an ethnic minority, and the government rightly had to recognise that reality.

they won't be able to hide behind that status given a status does not exempt one from the law.

so your rant is meaningless.

incorrect, the reputation of some is used to target all members of the group, because individuals can get away with it.

so they are the victims of those targeting them because of the actions of some.

nope irrelevant full stop.

the full facts were reported, an incident took place, people were injured, it was a criminal incident and people were arrested.

like i said, it's not on the media to placate you by reporting skin color or ethnic status etc so you and others can use to traveler/muslim etc bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

OK, what about the UK instead? BAME account for 14% of their general population, but 25% of their prison population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Whatever , 3 threads on boards suggest it not irrelevant

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Butson

Also slavery, commonwealth etc etc. Tell me more about the Irish Traveller slaves??

• Advertisement

3 threads on a website is only proof people want to discuss it, it is not proof that an ethnic status etc isn't irrelevant to the facts of a criminal offense.

Advertisement