Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are umbrellas a bit pointless for golf?

Options
  • 17-09-2021 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

As soon as you step out under it to take your shot you get soaked and your clubs get soaked. Plus any bit of wind and you are fighting with the umbrella the whole time. Its a lot of faffing about for little gain. What do others think? On the course today I noticed very few were using umbrellas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I tend to agree, the best use is just to stand under for heavy downpours but wouldn't have it up and faffing about for normal drizzle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭big_drive

Unless it's absolutely pouring I'd rarely use one, find it more a nuisance

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Took it off my bag years ago, dead weight to me

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Umbrellas are pointless in Ireland period! My first experience of being able to use an umbrella properly was when I moved to Switzerland - the rain does not fall at a 45 degree angle and is not accompanied by gusts of wind.

Umbrellas are great in their right environment and that isn't blustery Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭thehairygrape

Ok, I’ll bite. Prefer proper clubs myself. Keep slicing it when I try the umbrella😄. Sorry, couldn’t resist. Seriously, unless you can afford a caddie to hold it for you, a complete waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Got an umbrella adapter for my caddy car a couple of years ago, one of the best things I have got. Keeps you and clubs dry and don't have to keep putting up and down. Sure get a little wet when playing shot. Play a parkland only once/twice a year too windy to put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I play links, if i used one of them i would think my buggy would take off :D

There is a swamp beside our course, my umbrella made its way there from the opposite end of the course one day. I can still see it up against the fence 3 years on.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Generally yes - especially on a windy links where it just becomes a PITA.

I'll stick mine on the bag if rain is forecast, and if the wind isn't too bad I'll stick it up and put in the holder on the trolley. The most useful aspect of it is the towel I clip to the underside to dry my grips before stepping out from under it to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Also a useless piece of kit along with the umbrella - Wind and umbrellas (in an adapter or not) are pointless

• Advertisement

Depends where you play very rarely is it too windy for my umbrella

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

You are obviously writing this from your balcony in the south of Spain 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

In driving cold rain during winter, wouldn’t be without an umbrella, or a hip flask.

Depends. I was out last weekend and we could see a dirty black cloud coming our way with blue sky all around it.

Sure enough a massive deluge came and went in 5 minutes. Telling you now, I was delighted to have the brolly for that

Nah Parkland in the city but have played probally 10/15 diff courses links/parkland this year only once couldn't put umbrella up due to wind and ironically that was in Woodenbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The secret is not to play in the rain. Ok the odd short shower is different and for that the umbrella is perfectly fine especially when you have a trolley holder. But when its raining proper or for prolonged periods I simply dont play. Golf is supposed to be fun. Playing in the rain (especially when it comes with strong wind) is not.

May not always work that way especially if you have travelled to play and you're kinda committed like that but on my home course I rarely see a full on rain round through. Would have to be a big competition or leaving someone who's determined to play without a marker or such for me to carry on. Typically I just abandon the round or when its obvious weather wise I dont even start. There is always tomorrow or next Sunday. Having only a couple of minutes drive to the club helps with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

I was sitting beside a club member at a prize giving when he’s name was drawn out for a picky-out prize. He mumbled “not another useless fecking umbrella” - He’s a one armed golfer, so I could see his point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

When playing golf in Ireland

It's complete and utter folly

To step out on the golf course

without your trusty brolly.

When the wind blows helter-skelter

and dark clouds bedeck the sky

It provides a deal of shelter

And helps to keep you dry.

It makes a lot of sense indeed

to avoid being cold and damp

And that is why we truly need

To tote our faithful gamp.

The breeze may blow and the rain may flow

But I don't give a shág

Because I know my brolly

Is tucked safely in my bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

Completely agree. It's rarely too windy to have mine up. I play at a parkland so it works fine for me. I can't imagine having one without a holder.

If it’s so wet that an umbrella is no use I wouldn’t be out.

I play an inland parkland and if it’s just showery the umbrella attached to my powakaddy works quite well.

If it’s windy and wet yeah that is a problem. I try to avoid golfing in those circumstances unless I am playing a team event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

A brolly makes the difference between maybe getting a bit wet and getting soaked to the skin.

They're invaluable in Ireland imho. But ducks don't need them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I played golf yesterday. I was damn glad I had my umbrella for the back 9. It bucketed rain and while i got wet playing shots, I was dry for the rest of it. Even in a 20-30kph wind, it still did the trick. One lad in our group didnt have his umbrella and he was soaked to his skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agreed. Would’ve been absolutely saturated without one. Wind made it a grind but if I forgot the umbrella I would’ve had to have given up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

So basically this thread has established that umbrellas are not that practical in strong winds. Next thread will be about bears and woods 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thefloor

Ive used a brolly before when its raining, get soaked taking a shot, then walk down the fairway under the brolly dripping wet under it, wondering what is the point of it. When you are wet you are wet. Good waterproof clothing is all you need.

If you're soaked just taking a shot then maybe pack it in for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thefloor

Nah you soon forget about the rain after 2 holes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I like the challenge rain brings. Particularly during match-play.

Even those saying the solution to rain is to walk off the course will still have to get back to their car. Surely even just carry a brolly for that bit? There's also nothing in the Geneva convention prohibiting you from both wearing raingear AND also using a brolly.

Advertisement