Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Monokne

Hang on...they are going to make $200 million in profit this year. That is more than they made in the 1980's and 1990's booms combined. In what way is there 'no way back'???

I have seen some odd takes but this is very curious. You could not pay me to watch WWE at the moment but the company is comfortably the healthiest it has ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Except there won't be a Danielson/Omega title match at Full Gear. They aren't going to throw away 2 years worth of Hangman/Omega story line, just to hotshot Danielson into the AEW World Championship picture.

Don't get me wrong, there will be a Danielson AEW Championship reign at SOME POINT, but it won't be in the latter half of 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The only way I can see it happening is if Page isn't going to be returning that soon. Omega - Danielson is a good replacement although I feel like you need Omega to win to keep the Hangman story going. Danielson needs to climb himself up the rankings for a title shot though so not sure how they're going to speed that up.

I'd imagine Hangman returns at the Rochester show next week, or the Dynamite after. Though how they re-write Hangman back into contention, remains to be seen. Seeing as he and The Dark Order lost that 10 man tag against The Eiite with the Championship shots on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I find the US stores to be similar in trying to get size right. :D Just impossible to know what you're getting unless you're an ideal weight. That's a "classic" large I ordered which I assumed meant more generous fit wise yet the fit is terrible.

Not the end of the world anyway. I just won't be ordering anything from them again until they improve service. As a fledgling Business I won't be too hard on them.

• Advertisement

Ya, I was hoping he'd return last night but feels like it has to be Rochester to sort Dark Order out now with it being Brodie's town. You could probably run a month long tournament to crown a no 1 contender for Full Gear to put Hangman in (atm we're at Orange Cassidy which isn't great), or have Hangman run through an Elite gauntlet to get himself a title match again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

where is there new fan base going to come from when the old ones give up or jump to AEW?

How are the current crop of storylines going to convince people to stick around?

The 18-24 don’t watch WWE and that’s been proven. When the TV deals are up for renewal they’re in for a rude awakening.

Im not talking about WWE dying off in the next 1-5 years but there’s no way back they can stop the AEW momentum for making AEW the number 1 wrestling promotion.

Ultimately Vince is going to sell up and when he does WWE will be completely stripped apart by its owner most likely Disney.

The WWE we know and used to love will be a completely different landscape in a few years and not for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

ZSJ responded to Danielson's comments from earlier in the week after today's G1 match against Shingo. Would love to see it, they wrestled twice before but only when ZSJ was getting started, a match between them these days would be a technical masterpiece!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Monokne

A certain amount of people are always going to watch WWE because it is WWE.

If you've been paying attention to the TV right situation and the live properties which have been renegotiated in the past 18 months, no-one's taking a hair cut, even with declining ratings across the board. But let's even suppose you're right and they take a massive hit - $100 mill a year. They'd still be 9 figures in profit.

Also, you're stating that '18-24 don't watch WWE'. Eh? First, the demo is 18-34. Secondly they are still doing slightly better in that demo on the whole than AEW. Are AEW also doomed?

I am not convinced Vince will sell. What is Vince McMahon without WWE? Look how obsessively he is still micromanaging it as he closes on 80. What would he do with his life?

I don't really know what point you were trying to make and I am not sure even you are sure of that, but of course, it's possible that AEW will become the number one promotion in the world. At this point it feels likely. But two things are just patently absurd - firstly, the idea WWE is in any sort of trouble whatsoever, and secondly that the current situation is a fait accompli, that it will never be other than this. What happens when Vince dies? Maybe the creative improves massively. Or what about when Tony Khan burns out, as all bookers do, and AEW goes through a soft spot? In 1995 the WWF was a money losing company and in 1996 they were a money losing company and second to WCW. By 2000 Vince was a billionaire. I wouldn't overreact to existing circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If they're continuing to have Hangman within an ass's roar of the Dark Order, he has no business in the main-event picture.

Seems the obvious thing to do is ride the current Omega-Bryan momentum and let them scrap for the title, ideally in a trilogy. In the mean time they can be rehabbing Hangman as a proper main-eventer. Maybe build a programme toward him being the first to go over Punk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Dynamite did 1.28 million & 0.48

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Bit lower than they would have been hoping for I'd say but still one of their highest ever ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭kksaints

Think it's their 3rd highest rating ever but I wonder are they slightly disappointed with it in the sense that it's one of the biggest matches they have and they put it on for free and they only got a 100,000 approx extra viewers. It's still an excellent rating but I expected it to be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

Did think people were being a bit optimistic with 1.5 but still third highest rating ever is nothing to sneeze at.

The value of last night's show will be seen in the Rampage number, and next week's Dynamite number.

I'd be confident they'll get at least 750k on Friday, and hold steady in the 1.2m territory next Wednesday. Which is right where they want to be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The main thing is they are keeping it over a million for a few weeks in a row now, not letting it drift back down. Once 1.1 - 1.2 becomes the new baseline they can try pop it higher again in a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

For sure, don't see them dropping back below a million for sometime which is amazing. They've got all the momentum and are capitalising on it excellently.

It'd be interesting to see the rating/viewers Omega - Bryan did. With it being on first and then followed by Punk, casual fans might have watched that and then headed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Charly the Doll outdrew the most anticipated wrestling match in years.

Runs.

But seriously, keep highlighting Bryan like a killer and they'll do fine numbers-wise.

Most anticipated match in years?

Danhausen vs Rock "The Dwayne" Johsnon wasn't on last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

AEW Dynamite will move to TBS on January 5th 2022.

Rampage will remain on TNT in its current time slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Goddam if that Snowboii tweet didn't crack me up.

Absolutely **** yes to that match eventually happening down the road.

Ya, I'd be expecting Danielson to wrestle most of the top NJPW guys, either through the G1 at some point, or for him to go over for a bit. ZSJ would be possible in something like RevPro too but I'd imagine both AEW and NJPW would want that on a bigger stage.

I'm assuming though once the pandemic is done with and travel is more free, AEW and NJPW will be exchanging wrestlers for dream matches that they want on their cards. Atm, it's just vets who NJPW don't mind if they lose but eventually it'll surely be likes of Okada, Ibushi, Tanahashi coming over to wrestle on AEW cards and then likes of Danielson, Moxley and some of the ex NJPW guys like Omega going back to Japan for some matches/ G1s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Hangman would also be hotshotted back into the title match at Full Gear if he returns next week unless he won a No. 1 contender tournament as mentioned by another poster. Outside of Danielson and Hangman there is no clear alternative contender unless they book someone else very heavily over the next 6 weeks or do a tournament. Booking a time draw limit draw on Wednesday would indicate they are going in a direction of a re-match and if they want to maximise money out of the momentum of it would be at Full Gear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Went on the sesh last night with all the GCW guys including Marko Stunt. Actually a really sound lad and my opinion has been turned around. Chatted with us for hours and he's a good musician. Wants to do more of that along with the wrestling so I was giving him tips and some of my bands guitar picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Is tonight's Rampage starting at 2? It's two hour show tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

3AM according to Fite

• Advertisement

Good to hear he's sound but he adds absolutely nothing to Jurassic express and AEW in general tbh.

Advertisement