Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Higgins Praises Travellers Contribution to Irish Society

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

this essentially amounts to a " no yer mah" type rant, saying the exact opposite of what i said, thinking that is an argument or a point, when it isn't.

i do care about the issues criminality, and others, whether committed by travelers or anyone else, has on society, hence i vote for a political party which will actually deal with those issues, unlike you i suspect.

i don't need to be seen to be anything, given it's quite simple, i don't discriminate against someone based on membership of an ethnic group, sexual orientation, skin color etc.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,323 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The bad news about them out ways the good positive news when there is any

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Why does something have to be unique to traveller culture, in your mind, to qualify as being part of their culture?

There are lots of problems within their culture. That doesn't mean that those problems need to be exclusive to their culture in order to be classified as a major problem. Your logic seems very strange on this.

Alcoholism is a major issue within Native American settlements in the US & Canada. Similarly in aboriginal settlements as well. It's obviously not unique to their culture, but it's a major problem within their culture. And it's at much higher levels than the general public.

Some of the issues in the travelling community, are serious and endemic to their community. They don't need to be unique to their culture in order to be a major problem within their culture/community. It's the scale and size of the problem that matters, not whether it came uniquely from their culture.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

FFS they're not the velociraptors from Jurassic Park. I'm going to put this as nicely as I can, I think you have a prejudicial outlook on travellers and it's probably not limited to travellers as an ethnicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I don't consider travellers to be an ethnic group

A criminal sub-culture ,yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Because whatever the issue is, is not part of their culture if it’s not unique to their culture. Is that an unreasonable point of view?

Of course there are plenty of problems within the traveller community, and pointing fingers at them as if the very same problems don’t exist outside of their community, and ascribing it to “their culture” based upon one’s own beliefs, isn’t addressing the issue, it’s simply attempting to justify one’s own prejudices.

I agree with you that it’s the scale and size of the issue that matters, but what doesn’t address the issue is pretending it’s because of their identity that the issue is more prevalent in their communities than it is outside of their community. That’s why I suggest anyone who wishes to address an issue start a lot closer to home, before they point fingers at other people.

(and for the love of God don’t wear the ears off anyone preaching about ‘toxic masculinity’ and ‘misogyny’ in any culture, because anyone doing that is making it entirely about themselves and their own ideological perspective)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

I reckon you think anyone who has a poor view of the travelling community must automatically be a prejudiced person by nature. You can sort of see that attitude seeping out of every one of your comments.

What about lived experiences? Do they count in your mind? My own father lived near a particularly notorious halting site for most of his youth and young adulthood. As a result he cannot strand travellers and doesn't trust them. He's had countless bad experiences with them, as have all of his family. Says he has met 3 in his entire life that were half decent - but still a bit dodgy at the same time. And he is most certainly not a prejudiced person. He doesn't live his life hating or discriminating against anyone. But his learned experiences have shaped his opinion. And I don't really blame him based on some of the stories he has told me. (and some experiences I had myself)

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭bmc58

Can't decide whether I'd give you a like for that comment.Thought provoking comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭riddles

80% of travellers are unemployed. I doubt Higgins has encountered travellers in full flow. I worked in a small business and hated seeing them coming in when I was on my own.

Genuine travelling people are pretty rare and frequently mixed up with a transient mob who are basically mobile criminals.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,225 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Advertisement

I understand people being cagey, I'm not writing someone off because they had bad interactions with travellers. I've had them myself, but then again I've had good ones as well.

However, seven days a week I'm happy to call anyone who labels a group as 'rodent scum' as someone who has prejudice running through their veins and I've no doubt if we went digging a little deeper, would find more groups he'd dehumanize in an off-handed manner - and, he's a lot closer to the source of problem he thinks he opposes than he would ever ever admit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭bmc58

Never heard a mention of that alleged incident.Just one person being cut severely by some impliment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

No one has a problem with their honour culture. It's the robbing, thriving anti social culture that is pervasive in their community that is the issue here.

Everything about travellers, is about how the rest of society is wrong, how we need to accommodate them. The likes of miggeldy never tell travellers that this has to be a two way street, you need to give respect to get respect.

Remove the robbing thieving anti social state dependent and misogynistic elements from that culture and the vast vast majority of people wouldn't have a problem with them.

Bit silly to claim anyone isn’t prejudiced against a whole group in society as though all people who belong to that group are one and the same, based upon limited experience of a small minority of members of that group? That’s exactly what prejudice is, but for sure it doesn’t follow that anyone is going to act on their prejudices and actively discriminate against anyone.

Their prejudices aren’t an issue if they’re not unfairly discriminating against anyone in society on the basis of their membership of any particular group in society. I absolutely would blame anyone if they tried to claim their experiences represent any group as a whole, it’s completely irrational, let alone completely unjustified.

It would be like Cliona Saidlear claiming that young girls need to be taught that boys are a danger to them -

Dr Cliona Saidlear said young girls need to be made aware that young boys who sit with them in the classroom can also be a danger.

Still seems like a completely rational perspective to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

How many businesses do you know that would hire a traveller if one came looking for a job? B and A did a national survey in 2017; something 80% surveyed wouldn't employ a traveller. Like I said before it's a vicious circle where both communities have a role to play.

When a very well-reasoned and articulate Traveller woman phoned into Liveline quite recently, criticising Traveller culture regarding arranged marriages at a very young age, she got pretty short shrift as her argument didn’t suit RTE’s #woke agenda. Quite ironic.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

This is why these threads are pointless - you say 'give respect and get respect' and then proceed on a diatribe heavy on presumption and prejudice and then wash your hands pretending you're not part of the problem. I really don't expect you as an individual to give a traveller a fair crack of the whip if it came to it. I'm sorry I don't, the evidence before me is you wouldn't break bread with them, and would marginalise them further in your interactions with them. That's my judgement on you whether you like it or don't like it, and I hold you're part of the issue.

Pointless really

"I'm not prejudiced" *Proceeds to go off on a mad one about how travellers are fundamentally crims*

People do have problems with their honour culture though, and contrary to your belief there are people who will always find any excuse to rag on travellers, sometimes based upon their own personal experiences, more times based upon the claims made by others that they want to believe are true of travellers.

It’s not the case at all that travellers are of the belief that everything about society is wrong, they’re generally well aware that their way of life is not in tandem other peoples opinions of how people should live their lives. Only very few travellers I’ve known have any sort of a victim complex that they blame everyone else for their issues, but that perspective isn’t unique to travellers. I’ve known few people too who aren’t travellers who have the same sort of victim complex as though the source of their issues is external.

That’s why I’m aware of the fact that in any group in society there will always be a minority of people within the group who see themselves as victims, while the majority of any particular group don’t care as they’re too busy just getting on with their lives to be concerned about how anyone else chooses to live their life.

yes they would.

those who have a problem with all of them just because traveler would find other excuses to have an issue with them, such people aren't actually bothered about those issues as i said, they just use them to traveler bash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

And how many travellers are actively looking for employment? Of those how many have the education or skills set an employer might be looking for?

Blaming the employer... Jesus wept...

Here is a basic question. How many members of this community are there and is the crime level and level of negative behaviour reported in proportion to the % of travellers in the population?

They get the same welfare entitlement as everyone else yet disproportionately thieve. That must be a very large 'minority' of a minority that the PC brigade refer to.

Like most people on this thread, show me positive changes or contributions made to society and I'll change my viewpoint. Millions are spent on this tiny population every year but nothing seems to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭MFPM

Indeed the four times electoral failure did opportunistically give voice to some rotten attitudes that exist but thankfully there were more than enough decent people to ensure the one-trick pony was shown the door, good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I didn't blame employers and I literally said both communities have a role to play. How likely would you be to go through the education system and get the skills and qualifications if you knew 80% of people wouldn't employ you just because of who you were born too. I'm not saying this is the sole deterrent for travellers, they absolutely have to address their own issues within the culture but they don't have the same opportunities to make a contribution to society and (I will reiterate again so I'm not misrepresented) both the travelling community and the settled community have contributed to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Gilmartin road in the news again for all the wrong reasons, says a lot about them that 2 funerals can't be held on the same day without them flaking each other.

If any of ye saw the Whatsapp videos nothing more needs to be said.

Sick people in A&E probably had to wait longer because those scumbags were there taking up doctors time fixing them up.

Travellers are a deeply unpopular group across all sections of society, with the bizarre exception of media types and socially liberal politicians. The country has seen huge inward migration over the last 25 years and no other group attracts such near universal opprobrium. People's problems with traveller culture are well founded.

What kind of a bizarre statement is that? Travellers, like any group in society are only unpopular with a tiny minority of the population. Everyone else has greater concerns than people who have no impact on their daily lives whatsoever. Were it not for media types trying to sell newspapers and clicks, there wouldn’t be anything for them to write about, and travellers make as good fodder for generating a bit of outrage as any other groups.

A tiny minority of people having issues with travellers (and if it isn’t travellers it’s another group, for… reasons!), doesn’t represent Irish society as a whole, and certainly isn’t any indication that people’s ignorance is well-founded upon anything other than looking for reasons to demonise travellers, precisely because they’re travellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Travellers were granted special status on the back of studies showing their general unpopularity across society. Something can be both disliked and not take up much mental space. I don't like chocolate flavored ice-cream but I don't spend every waking hour thinking about it.

Prejudices against travellers are real, it's the "why" that's never investigated. Anecdotally, sadly, it's usually lived negative experiences.

the pc brigade is a myth made up by the alt right and similar, it doesn't exist.

yes, employers are to blame if they refuse to employ someone, who has made all efforts to make themselves employable, because they are a traveler.

• Advertisement

Not to be nitpicking or anything but it’s an important distinction - travellers weren’t granted any special status, their status as an ethnic minority was recognised and deemed worthy of protection in law in order to protect people from unlawful discrimination on the basis of their membership of the traveller community. It’s no different than any of the other grounds of protected characteristics which applies to everyone in Irish society equally.

And as for prejudice, well by definition it exists entirely in one’s imagination. Discrimination on the other hand, is the manifestation of that prejudice, and it’s only a tiny number of people who’s heads are occupied by every opportunity available to them to take a potshot at travellers. The latest ones a doozy, with not just one, but THREE threads started in CA alone to function as an outlet for all sorts of shyte, and very little about the actual incident itself.

Anecdotally, do you reckon you might be more attuned to anecdotes which confirm your prejudices about travellers? It’s natural that you would be more attuned to stories which confirm your biases, and those that don’t, well you’ll find an angle some way to portray yourself as the REAL victim, somehow, in order to justify your beliefs.

Advertisement