Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Calling them all kips is a mass generalisation.

They serve a purpose, cheap and cheerful pints and food, each to their own.

On a side note, the new one on Camden Street looks nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Tbf I said "generally" and I also said I have enjoyed a pint upstairs in the forty foot .

But I would hate to see them in every town in Ireland. They are McPubs.

Oh and the food? I genuinely don't get that. They have decent pints at cheap prices, some great cask ales etc. But the food? There is no need for food to be THAT bad. And it isn't particularly cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 20,060 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I must have higher aspirations for Blackrock than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I think that's called snobbery.

Yer man Tim is a dose, and I wouldn't like to see pubs in Ireland turning into chains, but they do have their benefits, and I've heard they are decent employers here.

You must 🤣

I always take great delight in reminding people that Blackrock has council estates, homeless accommodation and at least one halting site...then you have the other lot that brings the tone down but sure what can you do.

Post edited by JayRoc on

• Advertisement

There is hardly suburb in dublin without those things doesn't mean you should welcome in a chain like wetherspoons.

It's not snobbery wetherspoons was garbage and did nothing for Blackrock, it'll be better without it.

So replacing a pub that does cheap beer and cheap food, with a pub that sells expensive beer and expensive food, would improve the town?

How?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Pharmacy (Hilton?) in the basement of DL shopping centre to close by the end of the month. Presumably not willing to compete with the bargain basement alternative about to open on the next floor up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

not that fussed about either of them to be honest.

anyone i know much preferred tonic, and if they frequented wetherspoons it was only once.

anyway i never said anything about replacing it with a more expensive bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Tonic was much better - great place in its heyday. Business was sort of petering out though for the last couple of years of its existence, not sure if this was Tonic specific, or a reflection of the quietening of Blackrock in general. Given the pickup in suburban business post Covid, I'd guess a new pub would do quite well there.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember Blackrock having more pubs than any other village in Ireland at one stage? That was probably back in the 90s or early 2000s.

The place used to buzz during the late 90s/early 00s. Wicked Wolf, Conways, Mad Hatter, Timepiece all did great business. And of course you still had Jack O'Rourkes, Breffni, Potters Bar, Avoca. The Playwright too, even if not in the village.

Not the opening of a new business, but the re-opening of one.

The Charles Fitzgerald is back open for business.

The beer gods have answered my prayers.

Counter service being withdrawn from AIB Blackrock from end of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

276 new student beds are being proposed to be built on the site of the Baker's Corner pub in Kill O'The Grange. It is to be fast tracked under the planning process. The site consists of 2 six storey buildings including a gym, new cinema room, canteen communal areas, two retail units along with a new public square. The owners have acknowledged that this new proposal is currently in contravention of Part V provisions for social & affordable housing.

The new pub on the site is also going to be a quarter of the size of the original pub. The formal planning decision is to be made for it in Mid-January 2022.

I think that this new proposal looks good for it's relatively good size & location. It's has good walking distance for IADT students who want to rent a place in it. It has a great bus service provided around the area. Being near 3 supermarkets within a few minutes walk of this site is a very good bonus as well if they were to buy food for their new student accomodation. Would you think that it contravening the provisions for social & affordable housing are going to become a major problem with it as time goes on. Would that become a sticking point for local residents to not allow it go-ahead if they saw these proposals now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

As a Northsider I would go to Dalkey..for the occasional trip ...it's a nice pleasant town with reasonable parking ..a sort of ..it's Sunday...where will we go to fcukin day sorta place ..

Fcuck orl in it really..Queens is nice ..good athmosphere ..a sorta village feeling which I like .

Would go there again....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Even earlier. But, who remembers The Missing Swan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

The problem I find with Dalkey and which many on this thread have slated me for thinking already is that aside from the DART or if you are an avid cyclist or drive, accessibility is very tricky.

The 59 and 111 are all very well and good for those in the 1 to 2 kilometer radius of Dalkey while the Aircoach has just resumed at a significantly reduced frequency. The 7D is useless given it nearly non existence.

Its not a destination from a commuting perspective if you are coming from places like Dundrum, Sandyford or UCD. People will continue driving to Dalkey from places like those mentioned if they have to make awkward changes at Dun Laoghaire or Blackrock. This will be exacerbated further when Cherrywood is fully populated and operational. Anyway, I'll leave it there as I've gone blue in the face explaining to others why it is stupid to keep it as a backwater.

The new look of The Queens is interesting. The problem I find with Dalkey and which many on this thread have slated me for thinking already is that aside from the DART or if you are an avid cyclist or drive, accessibility is very tricky.

The 59 and 111 are all very well and good for those in the 1 to 2 kilometer radius of Dalkey while the Aircoach has just resumed service at a significantly reduced frequency. The 7D is useless given its nearly non existence.

Its not a destination from a public transport perspective if you are coming from places like Dundrum, Sandyford or UCD. People will continue driving to Dalkey from places like those mentioned if they have to make awkward changes at Dun Laoghaire or Blackrock. This will be exacerbated further when Cherrywood is fully populated and operational. Anyway, I'll leave it there as I've gone blue in the face explaining to others why it is stupid to keep it as a backwater.

The new look of The Queens is interesting. I've also been in The Coliemore since they opened and their baby back ribs are delicious. Highly recommend them.

There's not really much more you could do about accessibility - additional bus routes wouldn't be sustainable (look at numbers on the buses at present). Bit like Howth really. And it is a nice destination. Wouldn't say for the shops (nothing really special there), but more for the scenery, nice walks, plenty of restaurants and bars to enjoy afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

The bargain basement pharmacy has since opened, looks awful.

Lifestyle in the shopping centre hasn't reopened, I'm presuming it's a permanent closure at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Hank's ice cream and coffee place is opening in Glasthule tomorrow in the former BBQ/hardware/petrol station. Looks like scrumdiddlys kind of ice cream, heavy on the toppings.

The back of the shop looks like it's going to be moving clothing, including dry robe knock offs.

The old Magic Carpet in Cornellscourt is to be a 'new concept Dunnes'. Seems a bit odd with the original store down the road but this tweet suggests it and seems Dunnes own the building.

Serious teething issues there over the weekend but hopefully they get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Tragic Carpet, I like it!

It may be another of their Diarmuid Gavin garden stores.

There is a planning permission to knock the pub and develop apartments on the site/the land behind it, seems that won't be happening any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

The famous and beloved Alex's (aka Dunleary's Last Corner Shop) closed this evening. Alex is retiring. It may reopen under new management at some point but I imagine it will no longer be the purveyor of regional papers and Sunday paper back issues that it was.

Advertisement