Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I can assure I was 100% gruntled until I had to serve them every day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Or the bellends with bottom of the range BMWs or Audis kicking off with you get one drop of petrol on the paint work.

I need to see my therapist again. I've been triggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I hope you can level up strength by horsing 45kg bags of coal into the boot of mrs murphys car, but get a roasting for throwing them on top of her shoppping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Apparently if you want to transfer your save in Death Stranding to the PS5 version you literally have to deliver it in game first.

Bloody Kojima.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So the cast for the Mario movie has been revealed...

Quickly changing the subject before I stab myself in the temple...

SNES curio Actraiser has received the proper remaster treatment, and is out now!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mario and Luigi trying to figure out why there's going to be a new Super Mario film when the first was perfection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair, Pratt has acquitted himself well in voice work for Pixar's Onward - and he's an excellent comic performer in the first place - as by and large big Hollywood names don't translate to animated, voice-only roles IMO. The choice of Pratt in the first place is totally lazy but unsurprising: you can be sure the casting department had a single piece of paper, with the names of Pratt, Reynolds and The Rock listed at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Oh it's animated, phew ok carry on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yuzo koshiro has said actraiser will have an arranged soundtrack as well an option for the original snes soundtrack.

Also all the new music he composed for new areas have also been recorded on an actual snes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Jesus, that new "expansion pak" tier for Nintendo Online is one of the most money grubbing things I've ever seen.

True but you also have to consider the price compared to XBL and PSN, it's significantly cheaper and you get games you haven't either played 5 years ago or didn't play 5 years ago because you didn't want to play them.

Paying to play online is still scum no matter what platform as you are essentially paying to use their platform which they advertise to you on for the privilege for something that is provided for free on PC.

It never ceases to amaze me how people just brush over Nintendos shortcomings regarding networking and online management.

for the price of entry to PSN or XBL, you've robust friends lists, gamertags, clan support, LFG, party chat, matchmaking, messaging and voice chat, across different games and platforms if you include pc,

whereas nintendo come out with some nonsense like downloading an app to your phone or scanning barcodes or 30 digit 'friend' codes and people just give them a pass,

its hors£hit, and not good enough in this day and age. you cant argue 'its cheaper' if its not fit for purpose to begin with.

And waving the flag that PC is free is also pointless, given the high cost of entry / component scarcity that isnt going away anytime soon. Consoles have never been better value than the are this gen (if you can get one).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The worst is trying to charge €49.99 for a Bluetooth 3 button Mega Drive controller when Retrobit do official 6 button Bluetooth Mega Drive controllers for half that.

But I'm not defending their online implementation. I pay for it for the old games and it's a great price for what it offers I feel. Paying for online play though is a scam no matter what the system.

To throw it back at you it never ceases to amaze me that people are so willing to jump in and defend a corporation charging for online play when it's been free for years and continues to be free on pc. And component shortages aren't a defense as you really don't need to have the most up to date pc to play games on pc.

Paying for online is a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Paying for online is definitely a scam, and Nintendo's scam is by far the worst.

you don't need a great pc to play any of the old games, but best of luck getting something that'll run modern games at high resolution and framerate.

I'm also not defending console manufacturers either, but its fair to say, you'll have a lot of years worth of PS plus or XBL bought by the time you've gathered the price of even a middling GPU at the moment.

And why is that? Have you even got a Switch?

It's 20 instead of the 60 asked by the other two and the price alone is worth it for me for the access to the library of games they give you. The tetris, mario and pac man games have been great as well. It's a third of the price of the other two.

Not saying it's great but for me at least it has a hook and is cheap enough for me to begrudgingly pay for it whereas the other two I'm perfectly ok not to subscribe.

As someone that spent a lot of money on a new PC, there's not a whole lot to actually justify one of the new GPUs. I'd have been perfectly happy with my old rig. You really don't need a monster PC to run games are reasonable graphical settings either.

You are also ignoring all the savings you make on cheaper games and the wealth of freebies on PC as well as the fact that a PC isn't just for games.

keep moving the goalposts along, whether or not you're happy with playing stuff at 1080p or not is irrelevant, if you can buy a much cheaper console that'll do upscaled 4k, straight out of the box for €299, and comes with a €70 controller and doesn't need any additional peripherals to get up and going.

The consoles' digital storefronts have sales as often as PC does at this stage, I'm not as Au-fait with Sony, but XBL are giving away 4 games a month (most of which are the same as have been given away on consoles) and then you've gamepass added into the mix, which gives you access to a crazy amount of titles on xbox, pc, and mobile, as well as remote play with cross save / progression, and discounts on buying those games if you like them.

The Mad thing is, over the last 2 years, I've become a primarily PC gamer, and one thing it most certainly isn't, is cheap. But its allowing me to have unique experiences like Escape from Tarkov.

Well I agree that the current consoles represent good value for money considering the tech inside them but it's not always been like that. Plenty of times in the last 15 years when a decent PC was a better choice and online subscriptions were a lot tougher to swallow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

PC gaming certainly can be cheap outside of the PC itself. Xbox game pass works on PC. Games usually release a bit cheaper on PC and get discounted heavily enough pretty quickly. Then you have Epic giving away games every week. No ongoing costs for online services. The expensive part of PC gaming is the PC itself and that is pretty recent thanks to the hardware shortages. Even about 12 months ago, I was looking at gaming PCs for someone and you could get a prebuilt PC (I think it was from AWD) with a Ryzen 3600, 8GBs RAM, SSD and 8GB 580 for about €650 I think.

did it come with a keyboard / mouse / mousepad / speakers /monitor? - these are often left out when comparing one with the other - whereas everyone has a TV for a console to hook up to. Specially the monitor, if you've a high spec PC, no point in skimping on a monitor.

I'm not being deliberately argumentative tbh - its just worth giving both sides a fair appraisal.

That kind of stuff carries over from build to build. You only really take that into account if you need them. You can do without speakers with a decent headset which can be used on console.

I do need a monitor myself but I'd had my current 3440x1440 one for years while the consoles were struggling with yo get a stable 30 fps on at 720p. You also need a new 4K TV to get the most out of a new console.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There was a bundle you could get that included a keyboard and mouse for about £20 if I remember right. I can't remember if that was included in that price above. He was just going to use it hooked up to a TV so didn't need a monitor and speakers.

PC gaming can be expensive but it can be relatively cheap (outside of the current parts shortage of course). You don't need a high end monitor for PC gaming or a high spec PC. Saying PC gaming is expensive because you may as well get a high end monitor is like saying console gaming is expensive because you might as well buy a 65" 4k 120Hz TV and a few Xbox Elite controllers.

My Logitech G11 and G500 still holding up strong. G11 is definitely well over 10 years old and the G500 was a warranty replacement for my MX510 that developed a weird clicking issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The current situation is obviously beyond ludicrous with PC hardware, but I’d say it also wasn’t particularly cheap before the chip shortage hit. You could build an alright PC relatively affordably, but a good, future proof one was always a bit of an investment. Worth it generally though.

We’re definitely in a position now though where the new consoles are definitely extremely good value given the performance you get and PCs an absolute rip off (albeit temporarily). Obviously the best GPUs are more powerful, but they’re near impossible to get at the same time. Will be interesting to see if demand finally settles in 2022.

PC still has an edge in software affordability, especially with new console game RRP. Steam sales aren’t as generous anymore - an average PSN sale is just as good honestly - and Humble Bundle has gone downhill since IGN took it over. But then Game Pass is a tremendous deal for Xbox and PC, and the free Epic games haven’t stopped flowing .

Even excluding the current situation with GPUs being hard to get and ludicrously over priced, I think the current gen consoles are good value. The level of performance they offer for the price is pretty good. When you take into account the GPU issues, then the current gen consoles are practically a bargain.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Well, I have to admit, when I posted about Nintendo charging for a new tier of Nintendo Online, I didn't think for a second that it'd turn into a contest between console and PC. Ah well, sorry about that.

As it is, yeah, some stuff in gaming can be expensive, both PC and console, but being honest, this is probably one of the cheapest hobbies around. I look at the money that others spend on golf, or souping up their car, and am shocked at the figures they spend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That second paragraph suggests you haven’t tried to buy a GPU recently 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

A different kind of GPU ...

Game Pass Utlimate for 3 years for ~ 120 quid is a bargain. My only problem is that I don't have enough time.

The most unforgivable gaming first world gouging is Nintendo only allowing one Animal Crossing save/island per console.

My kids learned how to share that one island. But it really soured the experience for them.

But it's totally crazy how they get away with this. It was the same with the 3DS version.

Advertisement