Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Higgins Praises Travellers Contribution to Irish Society

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

actually no, they aren't, given realistically those people don't really have any problem with traveler culture given they complain about any attempts to address those problems, use those problems to have a go at travelers cause traveler, and make excuses for the discrimination travelers face, including those who do everything possible to be part of society.

travelers are a deeply unpopular group with some, not because of the problems, but because people can generally get away with, mostly unchallenged, spouting either stereotypes or discriminatory language about them, and engage in discriminatory behaviour against them, not to mention expecting them to live up to higher standards then the rest of us, and making their issues out to be worse then all else, not based on the severity of the issue or the amount of the issue that exists within the community, but based on the individual or individuals simply being of that community.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the why is never investigated because it is already known.

bad experiences are just used not to have issues with the individuals who one has had the bad experience with, which is fine, but to tar the whole lot with the same brush and then make excuses for that.

if that was happening to other groups, quite rightly that would not go unchallenged.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I wouldn't bother trying to convince that poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You see, I didn't make the point that violence against women is unique to traveller culture. I made the point, and backed up by statistics, that violence against women is a part of traveller culture. Never did I say that it was unique to traveller culture and I pointed to several other cultures where violence against women is a particular problem.

Traveller culture needs to change and change dramatically most especially because of the attitudes to women and the toxic masculinity that are embedded in traveller culture. Other aspects of traveller culture - their music, being on the road, their language - they are not an issue at all.

Not all cultural practices are a good thing. FGM is wrong, arranged marriages are wrong, denial of reproductive rights is wrong etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Violence against women isn’t part of traveller culture though, and all your statistics suggest is that violence against women happens among travellers too. You’re choosing to associate that issue with traveller culture so that’s why I imagined you must be making some distinction between things that are associated with travellers as part of their culture and heritage and beliefs and so on, and things that aren’t. Violence against women? Not part of traveller culture.

You say you’re not trying to take their culture away from them, but then you’re saying traveller culture needs to change, based upon YOUR beliefs, and so I’m given to thinking you mean travellers have to become more like you. Toxic masculinity as far as that idea goes could mean anything, but men behaving like men isn’t toxic, and so whatever ideas you imagine constitute toxic masculinity are entirely a figment of your own imagination. You’re simply projecting your issues with travellers onto them as if they’re responsible for your attitude towards them, and on that basis they have to change to assume your culture, foregoing their own that you find objectionable.

Travellers don’t need to change at all. You want them to change. It’s clearly not the same thing, but as it stands they are of equal status in Irish law which pertains to Irish society as a whole, and the issues you observe within the traveller community as you quite rightly suggest are not unique to travellers so on that basis could hardly be said to be part of their culture. There’s a reason they are regarded in equality legislation as being of equal status and that status being a protected characteristic the very same as any of the other eight protected characteristics - because in reality they’re not actually any different as people from anyone else in Irish society, and when given the opportunity are as capable as anyone else of contributing to Irish society.

Unfortunately they still have to put up with the kind of discrimination against their way of life by people such as yourself who want them to change who they are to be more like you, and if they were more like you, you wouldn’t perceive them in such a negative light and you’d be more tolerant and respectful and all the rest of it… which if you think about it for longer than five minutes is an attitude fuelled by your own prejudices which are discriminatory towards travellers on the basis of your own beliefs about them, because you see them as not like you. It’s somehow their fault you’re prejudiced against them. I don’t blame anyone who is resistant to becoming anything like you if that’s your attitude towards other people who aren’t like you tbh.

That’s not any sort of a criticism btw, it’s an acknowledgment that you just have different ideas than other people, and the issue for you is that they have the same agency as you do to make determinations for themselves which aren’t in alignment with your ideas for them which would see them abandon their culture and heritage and ethnicity and pretend at least, that they’re just like you. Your attitude is similar to the attitude on display in the report you linked to - it’s travellers who need to change, not the people who want to impose their own ideology on travellers who need to change at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Simply put, Peter Casey didn't have enough gravitas to win regardless. But that doesn't take away from the core issue that he told the truth and people agree with it. That Travellers are being given a free pass on their superlative criminal culture, in favour of being fawned over.

Michael D. has failed in not pointing out that Travellers and Pavee point totally ignore what really matters when it comes to why the people have "attitudes".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Irish travellers are genetically the same as the rest of us. No idea how they were given ethnic minority status.

Its very simple, some cultures are inferior to others, 1940s rural Irish culture was worse than modern Irish culture. Traveller culture is worse again and should be a culture that is wiped out. There needs to a massive campaign of integration into the general population using legislation if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

But it's happening in this very thread, against the very people who you claim are guilty of this behavior themselves.

Many of you guys want to tar anyone/everyone who claims to have had a bad experience with the travelling community as being inherently prejudiced by nature. So there by just dismissing their actual lived experiences, and just stereotyping anyone who holds an opinion you don't like.

How could you possibly know that all of these people are inherently prejudiced towards the travelling community? You haven't walked in their shoes, you haven't had their experiences, you know next to nothing about them. Yet that is the assumption many of you are making. It's a hugely hypocritical stance to take, based on what you are actually preaching about. The irony of this seems to go right over many of your collective heads!

The sheer volume of shared experiences from people all over this Island, with regard to their encounters with the travelling community, would seem to strongly suggest that there is far more at play here than simply "well they're all just bigoted people who hate travellers".

I'm sorry, but that is just a lazy generalization, which allows you to side-step the actual problems at hand and just sweep everything under the rug. And like I said, hugely hypocritical.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

They have call out videos,men and women,calling each out out publicly to fight...of all ages,gangs of them,a lot are related to each other and forced to marry a rival families son to lessen aggro between the 'factions' ... Horrific for the women involved.

Just look on YouTube,it's not a small minority..it's a huge number,and it crosses over to the UK travellers aswell.

Total criminality , blatant, nothing done.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

That will never happen. They can't even stop them racing down main roads on horseback, the Gardai are afraid of them also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,921 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did MDH give any examples of the great contribution they have made to Irish society?

Would some of the people defending them to the hilt here like to give us 3 positive contributions they have made to Irish society?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Oh lord...are you writing that from the safe space as a 3rd year sociology student? Or are you some sort of daddy's girl or boy who doesn't interact with the working world?

If the PC brigade can't exist as u propose, can the alt right? Alt right? In Ireland? What do you mean by alt right? This is not the USA. The few headbangers on the right we have here are so pitifully small they can safely be ignored.

Our problems generally are with the left who love spending other people's money to give it to many communities who don't help themselves at the end of the day.

Why don't you answer the question I posed originally? Or give some solid positive examples this tiny, troublesome community has given back to society (other than the occasional boxer).

Enda Kenny took away the possibility of many in that community behaving as individuals by identifying them as a homogeneous mass. They now appear to seek refuge in that identity to be constantly outraged but constantly not responsible for their actions. In turn the settled community will constantly see them as that homogeneous mass too. Only this view is of an insular, uneducated, violent and misogynistic 'culture' opposed to change. But sure, yeah, the 99.5% of settled people in the population will adapt to their ways and are to blame for the internecine feuding, thieving gangs, deportation from Australia etc.etc.

Maybe in MDH'S world if I get attacked and robbed by a 'cultural minority' that makes it ok. In the real world it certainly doesn't. Nobody is asking for higher standards, just the same standards as society as a whole.

Btw EOTR it's 'traveller', not 'traveler'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭Xander10

Maybe when he finishes his second term(which he promised he wouldn't run for) living in the presidential house, he will chose to go live amongst them.

You seem desperate to claim some sort of imaginary victimhood and I have no interest in changing your mind.

i will clarify one point though as it appears your own interactions with the working world and particularly employment equality legislation is limited to whatever your fertile imagination can conjure up. In reality it’s simply a fact that if an employer discriminates against an individual on the basis of their membership of the traveller community, the employer is liable to being found to be in breach of employment equality legislation.

I’m not sure who you’re referring to when you say “our problems”, or your claims about “the left” or “95.5% of settled people”, but it sounds like the kind of nonsense I’d expect from a complete headbanger, who as you suggest can be easily ignored. Probably happens a lot in your “real world” where you’re always the victim, does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Would you have a read of what you are writing. If Traveller culture had a practice of killing babies with blue eyes, you would be arguing that in criticising the practice, I am guilty of prejudice.

Denying reproductive rights to women is wrong. Tolerating practices of violence against women is wrong. Arranged marriages are wrong, denying freedom of choice. Taking women out of education at young ages is wrong. All of those are aspects of traveller culture that are wrong. Those who defend such practices are wrong. We are not talking about travellers giving up their music, their language, or their transient lifestyle. We are talking about them treating women as equals, about basic standards of humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Can you quote anything Peter Casey said showed a "rotten attitude" towards travellers??

I wouldn’t bother arguing at all, I’d simply point out that you’re bringing things up which are completely irrelevant. All of the issues you do raise though which you attribute to travellers as part of their culture, are not part of their culture. It’s entirely an association of your own making. That’s why I’m pointing out that you have prejudices against travellers, precisely because you find their way of life objectionable, and you’re choosing to frame the issues in accordance with your own negative beliefs about travellers.

You speak of basic standards of humanity while ignoring the basic reality that travellers themselves are as human as you are, they just don’t happen to share your opinions of their own culture. Instead of recognising that they have their own culture, you’re keen to foist your own ideology upon them when the issues you raise are not indigenous to travellers, are they?

Again you’ll try and suggest that your issues are part of traveller culture and aren’t simply based entirely upon your own prejudices against travellers. I’m beginning to wonder have you yourself even read the report you linked to, because it’s full of the same sort of nonsense about “cultural sensitivity” and all the rest of it, while still attempting to impose an ideology upon travellers that has nothing to do with culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,471 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Has anyone ever seen a traveller work? I mean legitimately work, pay taxes etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Lol. I wasn't even addressing you Jack but something touched a nerve there by the looks of it... such misplaced vitriol. Have a nice cold glass of milk.

Still waiting to hear about the non boxing related positive contribution this tiny community makes to society 👂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Id say most of the defenders on here have never actually met a traveller. Because I could count on one hand the number of nice experiences people who i know had interactions with travellers have had.

Hell I even had one nice experience myself and thought i might be being a bit hard on them. It was a matter of hours before that experience also became a horrible experience, for myself and all the other people around.

• Advertisement

Would immigrants from Poland be a greater ethnic group than Travallers? They are closing in on 3% of the population. Travellers are somewhere between .6 and 1%.

They do have a reputation for being highly industrious. They have a reputation(somewhat overblown) for hard drinking but no reputation for violence or criminality. Polish Women and Eastern European women are generally emancipated even if the men tend toward a degree of misogny(an unfair generalisation).

The Poles demand little in the way of "Tolerance" or support from their host Nation and most are well on their way to full integration. Why is that?

Irish Society needs more Poles and fewer Travellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hawley

Sorry to hear that. The same thing happened with me. I gave a teenage Traveller a job, because I wanted to give him a chance. I had to let him go the following day, because of his behavior. I was threatened by him and some of his associates, whom he had hanging around at my workplace.

You didn’t touch a nerve at all, I was clarifying the legal status of travellers in employment since you appeared to be of the belief that employers could still lawfully discriminate against anyone on the basis of their membership of the traveller community.

I’ll admit your attempt to portray yourself as a victim did have me confused, especially the whole lefty, no idea of the world of work. “95.5% of settled people”, “our problem” stuff, as if you speak for anyone but yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't think anyone expects travellers to live to higher standards than the rest of us, but the same ones. You know the ones that don't see women having their educational opportunities taken from them, the arranged marriages, the endemic domestic violence and the widespread neglect of children. And that's just the issues internal to the community, before we get to how they interact with wider society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

One thing I say to any defender, those that sit on their ivory tower, those that say it's the rest of our prejudices that's the problem, is that would they send their child into an encampment at hollowe'en trick or treating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I do not agree with posters here who say "traveller culture / lifestyle should be wiped out"

However, I do not want my taxes spent on supporting their lifestyle.

If they choose to live a lifestyle that leads to lower educational and employment outcomes, that is their choice.

But do not blame society or the State.

If they choose to not attend school, that is their choice.

If, as a result of their educational choices, their employment prospects are poor, that is their fault, not the fault of society or the State.

The schools and colleges are all open, and there are plenty of supports.

Their lifestyle is associated with high levels of criminality, and imposes higher costs on taxpayers in terms of policing / Courts, prisons.

In that way, they are not contributors to society, they impose excessive costs on society.

You don’t get to choose how the Government spends it’s revenue in any case, you’d still be paying the same taxes regardless of where Government chooses to spend money, and travellers are entitled to support from the State equally as anyone else. They’re also entitled to campaign for the kind of social and educational supports they need if their needs aren’t being met in mainstream education, same as any other group in society.

You’re choosing to associate their lifestyle with high levels of criminality, it’s not the case that their lifestyle IS actually actually associated with high levels of criminality, but since you mention it, the cost to the State of people who aren’t travellers, is much greater than the cost of travellers in terms of policing, courts and prisons. In that way it’s criminals, whether they’re travellers or not, imposing a cost upon society.

Y’know, the sort of criminal behaviour being glorified and celebrated on our national tv station which is also funded by Government to produce such tripe as “Kin”, a crime drama about a feud between two families of criminals. In that way they impose a cost on society for their contribution to society.

Far more criminal behaviour among people who aren’t travellers than among travellers themselves, I mean if you’re comparing the cost of criminality to society and who is actually responsible for higher costs like, you should be at least honest about it, far too easy to point fingers at travellers as if criminality isn’t also very much an issue among people who aren’t travellers.

Interesting deflection...look over there, not here.

It’s not deflection at all, the point was made that travellers lifestyles are associated with high levels of criminality, which seems to ignore the reality that the same could be said of the lifestyles of people who aren’t travellers - that it is associated with criminality.

Now which group costs the State more in terms of prevention, policing, courts and prisons? It’s not travellers. The greater cost borne by the State is the responsibility of people who aren’t travellers engaging in all sorts of criminal activities, illegal and unlawful acts against the State.

That’s not suggesting that individuals who aren’t travellers are responsible for the behaviour of other individuals who aren’t travellers, and by way of holding travellers to the same standard, it would also be ridiculous to suggest that travellers are responsible for the behaviour of other travellers. That’s called guilt by association, which is the very basis of discrimination fuelled by prejudice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Kin is made by American company AMC, who made Breaking Bad etc. Per Capita is there more crime by travellers or by settled folk??

Advertisement