Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoyed by new neighbour's lack of respect for the street

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lol, it's not an entirely separate matter to planning laws. It is completely, and only, about planning laws. First the private property guff, now the above. Is this some elaborate joke I'm missing.

Converting the garage didn't require planning permission. Building a story on top and subdividing it into a separate apartment did.

A garage, that is attached to the house, can be converted without planning subject to a 40sqm limit, same as an extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm not at all sure what your issue is, your trying to make something out of nothing.

I've only dealt with the issue surrounding a person reporting an alledged unauthorised development and what is required. I made no judgement on planning laws, breaches, god bad or indifferent.

The OP asked a perfectly legitimate question, a few posts suggested report the issue, followed by some suggesting do it anonymously. I've simply point out the Facts.

I'll type this slowly for you.

Namely Local Authorities no longer act on reports / Complaints submitted using anonymity not entirely sure what part of this fact your NOT getting. Local authorities will only respond, deal with a complaint when they have full contact details of the person lodging the complaint, this does NOT mean Local authorities will share this information with anyone.I again make no judgement on this fact , you seem to be going off into wild tangents, unclear what your actually posting about, as you mention GUFF, you'll understand what I mean.

I suggest , you take some time, do it slowly, go back to the start of the Thread and try to grasp what I've actually said before you go off into a meaningless rant .

What your clearly MISSING is the actual Point I've raised.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The obvious way to complain is via a local councillor or TD, they can pursue it with the Council on behalf of their constituent without the name ever being disclosed to the council. I've seen it happen many times.

Unlikely that's going to happen to be honest, apart from the fact the Alledged person breaching planning is also a constituent. I'd suspect most local politicians will stay clear of this issues and direct people to the local authority, whereby they'll be required to submit their details along with those of the complaint they wish to lodge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,773 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plenty of councillors will lodge unauthorised development complaints for people who don't feel safe doing so themselves. You'll find plenty mentioning doing it on their social media posts or when talking to local papers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I've seen countless examples. Politicians will contact the council, they won't necessarily ask for anything to be done, but asking for information on the situation is usually enough to get wheels turning. Asking for an update isn't taking sides so they're covered

I've said unlikely but the fact remains, details of the complainant required. Furthermore any member of the public is able to submit a freedom of information request regarding a complaint, whilst no gaurentee details will be disclosed, my own local authority clearly advise by way of a disclaimer anyone submitting a complaint is subject to a possible FOI request.

I do recall the days were local politicians got caught up in all sorts of planning disputes, complaints, permissions, I'm old enough to know how that all ended and I still believe most local politicians will stay clear of potential planning disputes, but again, this is my own OPINION.

Thread is going around in circle's so before I leave it.

If anyone has any doubt on the process of lodging a complaint or reporting unauthorised development, a very simple check of applicable local authority sets out what is required and the process involved.

I accept discrete enquires by local politician's can a do occur but that's all they are, discrete enquires.

As a recent example, I've mentioned a development right beside me, I know for a fact 3 local councillors contacted and one TD, all said of course we'll enquire, some came back with forms to fill (name and address required), one said, I've made that enquiry, just go on the website, fill in the details (yours) and the TD , respectively declined , explaining that it's a local authority issue, they made contact and were advised the complainant needs to report the issue formally and directly.

I should point out I was not one of the people who made enquires but 4 neighbors did.

So, I'll leave it at that .

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭SwordofLight

Thanks to all who gave input and I am still considering the matter. It is not straight-forward as some like to think, and receiving your voices has helped me reflect deeper on it. I won't rush into a decision just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Contact the local authority road maintenance services about the alterations to the path. If it is a public path they have no right to alter it. Does the work done make it more difficult for wheelchair users and buggies to navigate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Xander10

Put one of your other neighbours name on the letter

Unauthorised developments IS planning law. And only planning law. The fact that you missed that key point really highlights you don’t know what you are talking about. Mentioning planning law is not a wild tangent, it’s the entire matter.

maybe read that slowly yourself if your still struggling to grasp the relevance.

Planning enforcement can, and do enforce these matters on their own accord. It’s literally the law, and their job. The claim that you need a named complainant to give them power to do anything is complete nonsense. As I said, you are confusing two very different scenerios. Investigating a claim verses a known breech.

I'm over your nonsense, Move on, not interested

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm not sure what the problem is here. If it's splitting into flats as you say then it's probably for rental ergo they aren't your permanent neighbours it's just an investor property. Why wouldn't you complain with your name on it......

In others words you were caught out spoofing. Run along now.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

No, no. I expected there to be planning permission needed for change of purpose for the garage into a one bedroom apartment. The three bedroom house had an extension (big bedroom plus wetroom) built out the back for the previous owners retired mother, I wanted to change it into a one bedroom apartment (1000 a month). Now the garage had a flat room, which I hated and I wanted to build on a bedroom and half to extend the house. Shure you might as well "be hung for a sheep as a lamb" job. In the end the Surveyor found so many problems with the house, he stopped the survey and we withdrew the offer.

A garage conversion on its own is exempt. But the previous owners extension maybe have already used up the property’s extension limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Most of the neighbours on the estate have had something done to their garages over the years. They mostly look like home offices and and second living rooms

Advertisement