Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,966 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

In years, I've yet to come across one user conspiracy on the forum that turned out to be true. Let's be frank here, the key issue is that users are posting stuff that is generally baseless or untrue, okay fine, but naturally this stuff crumbles under basic discussion and questions, and it's obvious certain users don't like that. Instead of realising the obvious, these users often lash out at the questions, other posters asking about the theory, the sceptics, the mods, the charter, etc. We see it time and time again, thread after thread.

Conspiracies happen often, you only have to switch on the news, but few if any of these are brought into the forum. Instead there's a lot of denial (science denial, events denial), a lot of innuendo, but very few fleshed out theories. The forum has also become a heavy dumping ground for pseudo-science, anti-vax, views and so on.

So how do we improve the forum?

Perhaps better rules on the civility of posters (which goes both ways). Another proposed solution is a template where posters fill out what their theories are and give basic details/evidence (Note that there's complete radio silence from conspiracy believers on this)

We have had countless threads, some hundreds of pages long, whereby no one can coherently explain what the theory is or even if there is one. Okay. Maybe there isn't a credible theory. But when does someone ever admit that? when does someone say "I don't know" to a question? when does someone say "ah thanks, I didn't know that information"? Posters often come in treating their views as sacred and go to war the moment they are challenged, then act persecuted about it, and then go about trying to create a vacuum where their views can't be challenged or discussed normally, as if that is the solution

This isn't the "Werewolves" forum whereby people let a group of posters indulge in something that is obviously a fantasy. The conspiracy forum involves history, science, current affairs - and posters pushing a hell of a lot of disinformation about them, using the leeway of the forum to get it through, many of whom have been flushed down there by mods of other forums, or who have been banned in other threads - that's the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I agree.  "science is settled" is never a reason to dismiss something yet it is used as such pretty much constantly. I know facts change and we adapt and change our view on the matter at hand. Like mentioning vitamin D in connection with covid say year ago would earn you ban from certain threads or you were told to go to CT where you can discuss conspiracy theory nonsense :)

Your post is prime example of what is wrong with CT forum. Not that questions are being asked but that some people jump in conclusions and try to present something you never said as your words. like you did just now.

You ask-

So I'd like to see your examples of proven Covid consparicies, please?

And I answer-

Where did I say anything about proven Covid conspiracies?

I have said this: While a lot of conspiracy theories turned out to be just crazy nonsense there are few which turned out to be true and that is a fact. It happened before and will happen again. With some things like that it is just a matter of time till we learn new facts or some whistleblower decide to talk... Some conspiracies turned true pretty much instantly and some required quite a lot of time to pass.

Maybe next time you should read slower, I was talking about conspiracies in general. No need to panic and see covid everywhere around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You were using Covid conspiracy as your point, it's perfectly reasonable to assume that in your segue to proven conspiracy that you were still on that train.

It's ok that you weren't, but don't try and spin a lack of clarity in your post into an unwarranted question on my part.

But just to be precise myself.

Let's drop Covid from my question, I await your proven theories.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

many of the deeper CTers have already gotten themselves thread banned here for personal insults. we're not going to hear from them now.

the resolution needs to be found soon IMO as a lot of this stuff is circular

On the contrary.

While there are some which become facts before internet and message boards were widely used, we have few recent. Like latest one which came about quite fast and with internet message boards involved. That isis-k planner destroyed by precision strike? Numerous lives saved, big blow to isis-k planning and operational capabilities.

And while the government was proudly proclaiming all of the above there was already talk about children being killed. Only to be dismissed, as conspiracy theory. We all know what happened right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Circular and self contradictory now as patnor is arguing that conspiracy theories don't even belong in the conspiracy theories forum.

Exactly as I said. Saying "I do not know" result to instant ridicule like you just did. 😉

The strike on the car in Kabul was purported to be an inderdiction against Isis-K attack. It was not an attack on a planner. Due to poor Command and control and dodgy intellig6 a a family of 10 was killed.

Not a conspiracy theory IMO, an accident, a horrible and awful result of poor planning and the fog of war in a rushed withdrawal.

The Isis-K planner reported killed on the 27th August was killed in Nangarhar province and named as Kabir Ida (spelling may be wrong). If memory serves that strike killed 2?

Where is the conspiracy? The US made a balls of targeting, yes. But to claim a conspiracy? And I think you might be conflating 2 different strikes? Apologies if I'm wrong but the strike that killed the family was not targeted on a planner. It was believed to be an imminent attack due to the US assuming water containers were explosives.

Could you just straighten out which strike you believe hit the planner? And which killed the family along with the conspiracy at play?

Would you kindly point to me where in my post to which you reacted did I use Covid conspiracy as my point which made you confused? English is not my first language and I still struggle with grammar and all but I still cant see it.

Again, I believe this is what we are talking about in this thread. That constant ridicule and indirect attacks like - trying to spin a lack of clarity into unwarranted question? Forgive my English and maybe I just read it wrong, but this seems to me like you feel as a victim of my scheming right now when all you should do is perhaps to go easier on "reasonable to assume"?

@patnor1011

Like one poster mention covid conspiracies as dangerous while quite a few of them turned out to be not theories and far from conspiracy.

Did you not post the above ^

That points to you believing that not only are there Covid conspiracies, that some are not theories and are true.

Which is it?

• Advertisement

Just to illustrate this.

What patnor is doing is indicative of the problem. He was asked a very simple and direct question because he made a statement of fact.

He wasn't asked to prove there are true conspiracy theories. No one demanded anything. He was just asked to name some examples.

Yet, we are now 3-4 posts deep and he hasn't actually answered that question.

And all of this is a complete tangent to the dozens of points made by us about how the forum could be improved or what the issues are.

In fact, I don't think we've seen more than a handful of answers to the points or questions we've raised. And those are at best, like a sentence long after holding people down to actually answer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I’m trying to figure out why didn’t Patnor started a thread about the ISIS-K strike on the conspiracy theories forum at the time seeing he is trying to use it as a conspiracy theory that came true.

Mentioning it now seems to be a bit odd given there Dohnjoe said they out of all the conspiracy theories in years on Boards, none were true. Surely Patnor should be backing up with evidence from Boards rather than declare one that nobody was talking about here previously is true. Do the waters need to be muddied.

I agree with you, but it's the example they chose when asked to illustrate it.

I've lain out why I think that it's not a conspiracy, and why I think they are conflating 2 separate attacks. I may be mistaken and I'm sure they will clarify.

I'm not going to go down the path of saying wrong or deflection just yet.

But I do find it odd that a mistake that was not only admitted to by the Americans, but was widely reported and even had a press conference where a CentCom general laid out a step by step timeline of what happened in the Kabul strike, along with the motivations, could be labelled a conspiracy at all?

Fog of war, horrible mistake, poor planning and rushed execution, Yes certainly. But no conspiracy that I have yet to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,966 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I think it's getting lured a bit off topic here.

What does any conspiracy believer (for use of a better term) think about the template?

I'd agree tbh.

As far as I can see in my time on the thread it's the only reasonable suggestion to date.

A requirement to lay out evidence and that it doesn't need to be exhaustive. Just what a poster has deigned sufficient for them to subscribe to the theory as plausible.

Where was the error reported though? Did Bitchute etc cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

@patnor1011

You know it, and we know it, that the line of "Well there have been conspiracies in the past" is not a valid one to give people carte blanche to just make up any aul sh*t and not have it questioned.

Even if The Queen came out and said she had Diana killed, that doesn't mean Freethinker73 can just start a thread on CT saying that the Covid vaccine is killing two people for every one person it saves (Something I actually saw posted on Instagram today) and not back it up with evidence.

CNN and Sky News are where I saw the press conference with the general(hark at me being a sheep).

But even at that it was widely reported as a family of 10 with children even on the day of that strike (If that's the one patnor means). I think they are conflating this strike, with the strike that the US made on the 27th August that US claim killed an ISIS K planner in Northern Afghanistan.

Sky news report from the 31st August.

US Military presser from last week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It does seem reasonable, but I can't see that it would do anything useful for the forum. Conspiracy theorists would either just ignore it and continue posting as they currently do, which may result in the quick shutting down of the thread, or they just won't post as it's not possible to complete the template to any useful degree.

Would just mean that conspiracy theorists would consider themselves even more victimised as they would claim to have nowhere to speak. None have spoken up in either support or against the idea of the template though I don't think, they are just pretending it didn't exist as a suggestion.

I think that even if a conspiracy theorist can't fill out all of the parts of the template, there could still be a discussion under the understanding that the conspiracy theory being presented isn't very well thought out, can't explain things and isn't supported by evidence. But to do that, the conspiracy theorist would have to admit to these things and they'd have to actually be interested in discussion beyond just validating a silly theory.

From what this thread has shown, that's not what conspiracy theorists are interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

The only reason the forum is active is because the same 4-5 posters repeat themselves incessantly in their condescending and sneering tone as the OP suggested. As a forum dedicated to conspiracies it fails miserably on every front and really only serves to give the impression that there is a place to discuss conspiracy theories. (or of course as a dumping ground for threads that don't fit the mold in other forums). This is why some CT supporters want the place shut down - to cut the head of the snake so to speak.

Despite this thread going on for a soul destroying 34 pages of 99% nonsense, I think it did a good job at pin-pointing the exact problem - "Sea-lioning" (credit to @Cognitive Dissident link to post here: #359 )

Sealioning (also spelled sea-lioning and sea lioning) is a type of trolling or harassment that consists of pursuing people with persistent requests for evidence or repeated questions, while maintaining a pretense of civility and sincerity.[1][2][3][4] It may take the form of "incessant, bad-faith invitations to engage in debate"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning

I propose a rule that all questions being put towards a conspiracy theory from all sceptics be summarised into one post that can only exist once per page of posts. This will stop the flood of nauseating repetition that turns so many away from the forums. If the OP or other believers in the conspiracy don't make a reasonable attempt to answer the questions or provide a reason for why the question is irrelevant then the thread can be locked after a certain duration of inactivity.

its not "instant ridicule" to point out that something you said you did, you actually didnt do.

unless of course, you get these kinds of things mixed up every day?

The only reason the forum is active is because the same 4-5 posters repeat themselves incessantly in their condescending and sneering tone as the OP suggested

im fairly sure you've said this many times already in this thread ..........

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

> If the OP or other believers in the conspiracy don't make a reasonable attempt to answer the questions or provide a reason for why the question is irrelevant then the thread can be locked after a certain duration of inactivity.

So how is it determined if the questions have been answered or not, considering that most threads consist of the repeated questions that you are complaining about and repeated claims that questions have been answered by conspiracy theorists despite those asking the questions not seeing any answers?

I think timeline got muddied a bit on this one.

When attack happened it was presented as succesful operation which saved many lives in future. Planner, mastermind and such mentioned. Then some people with knowledge of what happened (from being at a place at that time) pointed that innocents and children were killed and they were labeled as conspiracy theorist and it was flatly rejected and denied. Only after about 3 weeks when there was simply no way to spin it any longer truth came out.

Some things or "facts" or "truths" change faster, some take longer.

Oh and I am sorry Tao. I did not realize conspiracy theory may be valid or relevant only if it is discussed on boards.ie and if there is no dedicated thread it is just muddying waters. I learn new things here every day.

In my opinion there is no problem to ask for evidence. If the person cant or wont provide it fair enough. Thread will die as there will hardly be anyone to keep it going apart from OP. Others will see there is no argument to support or facts provided and that's that.

What make conspiracy theory forum pain to read or pretty much pure garbage are not theories (they are mostly entertaining) but constant flood of not so hidden or clever insults, sneering, name calling and patting on back between few people who pretty much appropriated that section and compete about how much of abuse they can throw at anyone who come in there.

So no conspiracy? Rather an assumption that there was. Just not instantaneous reporting of an error. Your example of conspiracy is rather an example of a mistake and assumption. I posted reporting from sky news dated 31/8 reporting a family killed and there is earlier available.

That you conflated real time reporting as evidence of conspiracy? Is part and parcel of why evidence is important to discussion of theory. It is laudable in so far that at least you presented something. Wrong and all as it was, it is refreshing to engage with someone who will lay something out.

So can we agree no conspiracy? And conflation on your part of 2 separate events?

Now on to the rest of our discussion.

You asked me to point out where you used Covid Conspiracy as a point? I quoted that instance verbatim but I've seen that addressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Whoever owns the summary post can add the answer (or link to the post) and any follow-up questions can then be added underneath. 99% of the time your questions don't get answered because they are buried amongst pages and pages of posts. The burden is left with the theorist to search back through the thread for unanswered questions - nobody has time for this.

With this solution - everyone can see what questions are pending so the thread doesn't get clogged out. If you open a thread with someone presenting a conspiracy and also a post full of unanswered questions then you know it should be taken with a grain of salt.

This then leaves room for meaningful debate where both sides can present arguments and counter arguments. And the incessant sea-lioning questions can't derail the thread.

• Advertisement

i must admit... i am amazed by this tsuami of

not so hidden or clever insults, sneering, name calling

that is purported to occur all the time by the skeptics, and which is against site rules, yet doesnt seem to be acted upon by the moderators.

could it be that what CTers deem to be insults are actually not in fact? could it be that what CTers deem to be name calling is not in fact.

surely if they are being so abused so much by so many in that forum there will be a long record of moderator action against the skeptics? no?

yet how is it that more often than not its the CTers that get banned for personal insulates and uncivility ? case in point this thread.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement