Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Of course the employer should pay for providing premises to work. People who "WFH" (but not at home) are not being subsidised, they are just working in the location their employer provides, which happens to be closer to home than their previous premises.

But I doubt many employers who have already leased and fitted out premises will be willing to pay for additional premises, unless they have difficulty recruiting in that location.

That's why it is important for people who think working hubs are an option for them need to consider who pays. I suspect some will be surprised by the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Sadly no, nothing. And it's one of two employers in the south of the country so they can basically do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

It's possible the government might see such things as being worth paying for because of factors like:

• Reducing strain on public transport
    • Reducing road traffic and thus contributing towards reductions in emissions
    • Helping with the housing crisis by making living away from expensive areas a more realistic option for some people
    • Assisting with the rejuvenation of town centres
    • Being able to point to the hubs as evidence of the "Smart Economy" in action

That might be viewed as a fair bit of bang for each buck spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Government paying for remote working hubs for private sector workers, possibly working for tech companies, is definitely not going to happen. It would be very hard to quantify the benefits of things you list there and therefore it would be hard to convince people.

As for government providing remote working hubs for PS, it might happen over time, but it would be a slow process given we already have enough office space for staff, so no need to add additional cost.

Ouch, that's unlucky, they have the power so I suppose.

I'm lucky, I'm in an industry and sector that is booming and employees have a lot of sway over what is happening so we can get WFH going forward, also helps that our senior management also want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Lots of people would be happy to pay. They are already paying for commuting costs so paying for a hub would replace these costs. And they'd gain a lot of time back. And the cost of these hubs would decrease based on more usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭sekond

In two of the three CS departments (Dublin based) I've been involved with over the past 18 months - there is definitely not enough office space (at least in current configurations), so something will have to give somewhere. They've taken on extra staff over the pandemic with nowhere for them to go in the offices. I've anecdotally heard the same about at least one other Dublin based department.

So your department will presumably have to figure out what the most cost effective way of doing it is I guess. They could reconfigure the office. They could have some people work remotely and hot desk in the office. They could get additional office space or pay for co-working hubs, both of which add costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

This is interesting to see what will happen but I'd expect some notices to go in before Christmas My company is similar but 50/50 rotatating basis and 3 days per week, which has already hapoened. Absolutely no consultation with the staff before doing this despite it being part of the government's protocol. Not wearing a mask in the office is my protest against this; for me it's either safe or it isn't but they can't force people in for no reason and then still try to claim they are concerned about covid.

Our salary reviews are early next year and I expect 10% minimum to cover inflation this year but I would probably sacrifice the salary increase to keep WFH full time. As such, full time WFH is my own personal requirement going forward and I'll be out the door if it doesn't happen in my place.

I know of others in my area, which is quite a high demand area in Ireland at the moment, who have indicated they will move on if they don't get WFH full time. A friend in Microsoft has told me that a few people have already handed in their notice as they "might" have to go back to the office in January. I think the tech companies already know that they are full time WFH forever but keep pushing out the return to the office plans in order to keep face for a while, a lot of the staff are just gone from Dublin and won't be back so they'll lose people pretty quickly if they actually made people go to the office. It's a space to watch but I see companies losing 5-10% of staff instantly the moment they force them into the office so the likely way forward is more, not less, flexibility as I see it.

That's always been the case, so why has the Chinese lad who you mention not already taken the job from Ireland?

Also, due to the living costs in Ireland, I could see it being appealing for Irish people to start emigrating to the new big MNC haven should the landscape change over the coming years; we have had a good run of bringing in other EU citizens to work good jobs here but that doesn't mean it will last forever; the flexible Irish workers in their 20s and 30s could easily see the appeal of moving to somewhere else in the EU that has a lower cost of living should it be the case that other countries start to develop as places for big companies to hire across the EU.

• Advertisement

Delete.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Except companies have rules saying you can only work from outside the country for 4 weeks!!

Also if the company deals with private information, you are not allowed at all to work outside a country where the company doesnt have an office in

I think the poster means people emigrating, not WFH overseas. Following the MNC jobs as they start to move to other cheaper countries

Not even cheaper places but just being in their home country with friends and family is the draw and it turns out there are actually jobs in France, Spain, Germany etc. that can be gotten for people that work in Dublin but service their home markets (I've never understood the rationale for bringing a French person to Dublin to speak in French and service the French market).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Some MNCs won't hire in France or Germany due to the labour laws there.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sergioaguero

is there any talk of a new tax saver train ticket or something to that effect that is just for 2 days a week and is cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭sekond

I presume so. I'd imagine there are enough people who would like at least some form of hybrid working that at least some might be able manage some sort of hot desk set up - provided people are willing to give up their personal desks and go the hot desk/shared desk/shared office route.

At this stage I can't see them going the route of paying for co-working hubs, but I'd love to see the ability to hot desk in other CS/PS offices, which could replicate the co-working hubs idea.

Will be interesting to see how things progress over the next while. I'm certainly hoping to keep some sort of hybrid working ability, as are the vast majority of people I talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

France is a bad example given their employment laws, but the reason it doesn't happen with other countries is down to tax that the company pays by having workers in Ireland paying Irish taxes.

It is a bit more flexible with EU countries, but not much more so.

We have been great at attracting companies based on our tax rate. The model has been to shift taxation onto employees so that we have relatively high tax on high earners. The problem is that unlike many other European countries we have very poor services. So, we have this combination of high taxes and poor services. I think this will make the country unattractive to the types of workers that we need to attract. They will work from their home countries, paying taxes there, while working for Google or Facebook or whatever. I think it will also be the case that people from here will move to other countries and work as remote contractors for lifestyle/taxation reasons. This is something I am looking at myself, particularly if they are looking at increasing taxes to pay for all this. The current model of shifting all income tax onto higher earners and keeping a million workers out of the tax net might not be sustainable in the future.

Separately, with remote working, I would imagine there will be increased outsourcing. I would guess that even smaller tech companies will be more willing to make remote new hires as well. I don't think the future looks great for Ireland given the changing landscape, with MNC taxation and also the ability of workers to work from other countries. The whole foundation is under threat. Potentially great for individuals who can take advantage of the new landscape though!

• Advertisement

Attractive tax rates for MNC earnings in Ireland that don't have employees paying tax in Ireland won't continue, changes don't happen in isolation.

Yeah, to add to your post, sort of similar situation in our case; remote working is the only thing that might keep us in Ireland (insurance and finance jobs) in the next few years as we have options to move to other European countries and the housing situation not looking like it is being resolved anytime soon will drive us away. I'm Irish and in my 30s as well, with family and friends here, with a very well paid job so I don't think it is a good sign for even people who should be well off here leaving. This is why I think it would be a missed opportunity for the government to not grow out communities in the country by really putting out plans to encourage long term wfh with remote hubs, strong laws for employees to demand wfh, guidance for employers, upgrades to trains and public transport around towns in Ireland, grants to small town businesses which will do well in the long run as wfh takes off as well as, obviously, getting more housing built.

Unfortunately, despite the promising signs from the government a few months ago, even with their wfh policy document, I fear there are vested interests stalling the roll out, e.g. the legal right to request wfh is not yet in place and was looking like it would be practically impossible for an employer to say no to an employee who wfh the last 18 months as the employer would need data to show that the job required that employee to be in the office. We'll see how it goes but as I said, even upsetting 10% of the workforce would be a nightmare for employers in the tightest labour market we've had in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

I remember the entire thing around decentralisation. It was a good goal but a complete failure. They are literally being handed it on a plate and seem unsure if they want it or not. The benefits for the country would be massive. Dublin is too big for the size of the country. Less traffic, less emissions, more business to areas outside of Dublin. Cooling down the Dublin housing market a bit. Less pressure on the health service as people don't sit in several hour commutes every day and rural healthcare can get more funding as the population spreads out.

They could have enough employees here to qualify for the attractive rates while having enough remote employees that it makes a major dent in the income tax take. The corporate tax rate is coming under increasing pressure anyway. I think the government (and any future government) is facing into an impossible situation of reduced MNC tax, reduced income tax from high earners as they work abroad and increased demand for services from those who don't pay much in tax. If the water charges protests showed anything, it was that it will be very politically difficult to get people to pay more/any tax.

My view would be the remote working will be hugely beneficial to some employees, either those whose work can only be done here or highly skilled workers who can work from anywhere. It will be detrimental to the country in general though over the medium term.

It seems to me that decentralisation failed because rather than creating regional hubs that would contain staff from different departments, they instead tried to move each entire department to a remote location and expected ALL the staff to move or transfer to another department.

The wrong way to do it!

I am in a bit of a different situation to you, Irish, 40, bought a house in SCD 9 years ago so don't really have much concern about accommodation costs. I can see that the housing situation would be another push factor, not just for immigrants but Irish people too.

The question is what's "enough" before the government decides to raise their taxes, the Irish government has always been good at attracting MNC here, even when the double Irish Dutch system was removed, new incentives came in to keep them here, but it is dependent on the companies playing ball and paying employees income in Ireland to spend in Ireland, if that maths changes substantially, then those incentives won't be available anymore.

As I said, nothing changes in isolation, if there is a lot of other country remote working for an Irish based MNC, the government will react accordingly.

So really, you want to be one of the few who do it, but don't encourage anyone else to do the same and upset the gravy train :)

I don’t know that this ‘other country’ remote working will really be a thing. No one is talking about that in my MNC. It is all about remote / hybrid working within ireland. And if was not to be offered as a matter of course, then there would be a exodus of talent and senior management. And would be to the detriment of the country.

I don’t think will be an issue as these individuals seems to be being catered for. It’s the less skilled workers, probably with less leverage and lower salaries, who seem to be being forced into the office

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Hi all,

My employer has asked for all staff to return to the office this Monday, we have been working with a hybrid model for now with 3 in the office and 2 at home.

I have not yet returned to the office, but I am told by my colleague with 3 in the office there is no social distancing and no mask wearing.

Who has been working in the office is now refusing to go in because of overcrowding, I am not returning tomorrow myself because of my other colleagues concerns.

We will have 5 on site from my team and another 4 from another team, also as we are IT we have office workers who visit us regularly sometimes we could have 6 visitors at one time.

This means at any given time we will have 15+ bodies in the office, there is no room whatsoever for social distancing.

I am in the process of looking for another job because of this issue, but in the mean time how is it possible for me to stay at home? Is there any government guidelines for employees or the employer to let one stay at home?

Is there a body I could speak to that I could engage with myself and my employer to resolve this issue?

• Advertisement

Do companies have to maintain social distancing guidelines anymore or are they being dropped on October 22?

Your concerns may only be valid for the next 4 weeks.

Advertisement