Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Match week at last

I would guess we will see something similar to the team that started the second friendly against Saracens

The question is whether Stockdale, McCloskey and Herring will be available and whether Addison is fit?

We need to win our home games so as ridiculous as it sounds in our fordt match of the season this is game that we can ill afford to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Any idea if O'Sullivan & Baloucone be available?

I'm at the stage Addison is a lost cause and to be fair our young players have definitely mitigated that issue.

Some real big decisions, only starters I see are: Moore, Carter, Timoney, Cooney, Burns outside that competition is fierce and senior player availability may dictate.

I'd say Baloucoune will be as he played the second match against Saracens. Can't remember if O'Sullivan played or not...I think Reid started the first match and Warwick the second, but don't quote me on that!

O'Sullivan has been awol to date, which leaves us a little light in the loose head depth if injured. Warwick is solid enough and Reid is explosive enough, just worry about the latters scrumaging.

May be due to international call ups though, O'Sullivan was in Ireland can last week again. Could also take that with a pinch of salt, knowing Addison was there also and hasn't appeared yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Hendo spitting' straight facts. Might tactually watch this tonight now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Team named:

McIlroy has been tidy on the wing so I'm surprised he's starting fullback rather than Stockdale. I prefer Stockdale on the wing anyway.

Good team, looking forward to this.

Ulster team to play Glasgow Warriors, United Rugby Championship Round 1, Friday 24 September at Kingspan Stadium (kick-off 7.35pm):

(15-9) Ethan McIlroy, Robert Baloucoune, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, John Cooney;

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, Brad Roberts, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Sam Carter (Capt.), Greg Jones, Sean Reidy, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Rob Herring, Eric O’Sullivan, Tom O’Toole, Mick Kearney, Matty Rea, Nathan Doak, Mike Lowry, Will Addison.

Unavailable for selection

Jack McGrath, Gareth Milasinovich, Iain Henderson, Kieran Treadwell, Cormac Izuchukwu, Jordi Murphy, Ian Madigan, Luke Marshall, Rob Lyttle, Aaron Sexton.

McIlroy and Brad start, good front row on bench, Doak and Addison on bench, Lowry as bench 10. Much to like.

It's a workmanlike pack though, needs more McGrath, Henderson, Murphy and Vermuelen.

Nice backline though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Straight facts? Surely you mean straight opinions.

Form didn’t play a part in Lawes selection ahead of Henderson. Which is fair enough to say. However that ignores the selection of Beard for the third test ahead Henderson, which certainly wasn’t on banked form.

in the end of the day, coaches pick the players they believe will best suit their game plan. Henderson clearly wasn’t that for Gatland in the tests.

Surprised with that team, definitely a workhorse pack!

Good to see Roberts getting a start!

• Advertisement

Indeed. And Gatland's game plan resulted in a 2-1 loss with a lot of dire, tedious rugby that was utterly deflating. Well done him. Nothing to be learned or taken away from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

No news there either. Personally I would say Henderson has every right to be pee’d off. Though once AWJ came back into contention. It was obvious he was going to struggle to make the test team.

Watched the Ulster Rugby Show that the Henderson quotes came from. Decent watch.

He, Best and Bowe all agree that Gatland has "his guys" - Bowe says "I was one of them!" because Gats knew him from the Ospreys. Best defends Gats picking the Welsh guys he knows because he knew what they could deliver for him. Henderson actually suggests that it's important to Gatland to pick players who are robust, and that, in fairness, the test team accordingly had a very low rate of injury, and that might not be true of himself. But I suppose you don't mention that if you want an article that reads like Iain is bitching.

The one who really can't believe Garland's game plan is Bowe, who's incredulous, and Henderson just kind of agrees it didn't work and reflects on that.

Interestingly, Best says that Ulster need to stop worrying about silverware and focus on peaking at the right time, and success will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

But I suppose you don't mention that if you want an article that reads like Iain is bitching.

Lately I've been wondering why players even bother with interviews. Based on your synopsis it sounds like there was nothing crazy said by Henderson yet the articles made out he was bashing Gatland. Similarly with Cooney this summer he made a comment praising Jack Carty for taking onboard his comments and changing how he interacted with scrum halves and it got turned into a Sexton bashing comment by papers looking for some clicks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Why bother indeed.

The print media and Joe had an extremely fractious relationship because of reasons pertaining to this.

The journalists frequently complained to the IRFU media guys that Joe was giving run of the mill stock answers.

Joe was responding that 1) the questions were inane and 2) any comment he made that wasn't run of the mill or stock was harvested to death and taken totally out of context

I've been to a few press conferences and it's both extremely boring and an bizarre environment - the questions are bland and no one listens. Frequently, when a question is asked, not a single person is actually looking at the person answering, they just heads down typing and obviously waiting for a certain phrase or sentence to come out the wrong way that they can pounce on. It's a literal knife edge.

I have little tolerance for print media and I'd imagine the players would sooner get a few rakes on the back of the legs than sit through a press conference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Well, I think it was more his negative comments about Sexton that were turned in a Sexton bashing comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Is this match only on Premier sports or is it on any of the BBC channels?

Premiere sports

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,757 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Decent enough so far.

their 13 is a unit, Baloucoune went too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Got a link to that episode, out of curiousity?

What. A. Try.

How did he not score from there. Great work from Stockdale and Hume.

That's quite controversial.

That’s a fcuking joke. Whitehouse trying to be the centre of attention again.

That's brilliant from Adison, working really hard in defence to get back into position then has the wherewithal to close the space, wins an intercept and does everything else right.

Brilliant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement