Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo switch

Options
  • 21-09-2021 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,582 ✭✭✭

I know there are pages and pages of info here but just looking for some very high level and dumbed down info

the young lad is after a Nintendo switch, this shows you all I know, but is it called a Nintendo switch because you can switch between using it handheld and then projecting it on to a TV screen ?

Is there only 1 model as in above?

Any tips on cheapest place to buy it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Technically there's 3 models: Switch (original from March 2017), Switch Lite (handheld only, September 2019), and Switch OLED (slightly improved model coming October 8th).

Both the original and OLED models can be played in handheld mode and TV mode via a dock (supplied) which connects to the TV. The Lite is handheld only so not what you're looking for.

The original got a price drop to €300 recently (from €330), the OLED model will be €365 when it launches in October. Other than the price difference, the OLED has a 7" vs 6.2" screen, 64GB vs 32GB onboard storage (both take SD cards to expand the storage though), and the same reported battery life. Not really worth the extra money IMO.

Smyths have a few bundles (ignore the Lite bundles) of the original model with a game ranging from €310 - €345. The one I'd choose would be with either Animal Crossing or Mario 3D World as the other bundled games aren't great or can be found cheaper stand alone.

Another place to try is Argos. They've a console + carry case bundle for €300, then most of their games are €47 so similar to the Smyths one but with a wider choice of games.

The Switch comes in two colour options, either Neon or Grey. This is just cosmetic so whatever your son prefers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,582 ✭✭✭obi604

Thanks a million for the reply.

sounds like the ‘switch original’ will fit the bill. Is the search term I use just ‘switch original’ or anything else needed?

can you buy a switch with no games and just buy the device?

Can bargains be got on these on Black Friday?

In regard to games, is it a physical dvd or cartridge? (I am showing my age now, my only console was a bloody Atari 2600)

Just "switch" or "nintendo switch" will do, the Lite and OLED will be marked as such.

You can get it on its own without a game.

I'm not sure about Black Friday deals. I think big hardware discounts have been rare the last few years. If you're planning to get it as a Christmas present then I suppose there's no harm in waiting to see.

The games come on a card about the size of a stamp. If you've seen Nintendo DS/3DS games they're slightly smaller than those. They can also be bought and downloaded from the eShop to the system memory or to an SD card.

It's worth noting that if your son wants to play games online against others he'll need a Nintendo Switch Online subscription that's €20/yr. There's some free to play games available like Rocket League and Fortnite that don't need the sub. If you just want him to play offline games then the sub isn't needed.

Nice. Thanks ever so much.

great info. Yeah, was wondering do big companies like this even bother with Black Friday.

I guess it works out better value to try and buy with a game

if you don’t buy with a game, can you do anything with it at all? (Is this where fort nite comes in)

Will keep him offline for now anyway.

is adverts, donedeal etc rampant with people selling 2nd hand games ?

is it cheaper to buy games in the eshop versus the physical game option?

Not much to do without games unfortunately. Other than the free to play games like Fortnite there's a YouTube app but that's about it!

As for eShop vs retail, it depends on what games you're looking for. Nintendo first party games (the ones made by Nintendo) tend to stay at the same price for longer. The eShop has sales every so often, but the bigger discounts are normally on the third party games. This affects second hand game sales too on adverts/CEX/GameStop. It works both ways though if you decide to resell games he's finished with.

You can't resell the digital games, but there can still be bargains had. You can see current eShop sales/discounts and track prices on Deku Deals.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much AGAIN Robert

If I was to blindly have bought the below………..(I nearly did actually last week) the young lad would have been unreal p1ssed off as comes with no game ;)

Nintendo Switch (Grey) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07W6HNZNW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_EXKMJA0E4N9RRW714BW8

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Make sure you get the Neon option. It's the classic Switch look. Grey is ... grey. Got the grey one originally then traded it in for a neon one. Sounds dumb, but it's a much more engaging device that way. Unless your kid is mad into grey. Same price, but extra happiness. 😊

Is neon just purely the colour of the physical device?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

It refers to the colour of the joycon controllers that come with the console, usually shown clipped on the ends of the console.

You can buy extras in a wider range of colours.

• Advertisement

That's the neon one.

Thanks again

heard himself mention this morning that he wants “the FIFA game”

I guess there are lots of different ones.

looks like the switch does not come with any fifa/soccer games

So I may need to buy the console and then the soccer game separate.

Where is best place to buy games?

Post edited by obi604 on

Smyths and Amazon for me.

Beware, the FIFA game on the Switch isn't in the same league as the Xbox/playstation version. Also you could pay a load of money for the latest "version" of the switch or get an older versions which are not that much different for a lot less money.

This is for FIFA 21, but I imagine FIFA 22 will be the same deal. If you are getting the latest version then wait and see what the reviews are like for FIFA 22.

when you say older version of switch, do you mean a version from 2 years ago etc?

You'd be better off getting something like Mario Kart or Super Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild if he's old enough, for the Switch.

Games are expensive on Switch, so you should get the best you can. You'll find some rubbish games at much the same price as the best games.

But if he's got to have a FIFA game and doesn't care which one .. FIFA 18 is 15 quid second hand in CEX. FIFA 22 is 40 quid in Smyths.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I also picked up a Switch (Neon) for my son this week as his Christmas present from Santa.

About 2 years ago I unpacked my Nintendo Wii and got him playing Mario Kart - Which he loves, and then also I broke out the Nintendo DSi, again with MarioKart...

I've already picked up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Minecraft, and some other racing game though it was a download I got (I prefer to have the cartridges). I went onto Amazon then and got the twin set of Mario Kart Steering Wheels (Mario & Luigi).

I would like to get him a Mario World game as I think he'd really like those platform games, but there are quite a few... I saw Mario World 3D, would that be one of the main ones?

I can see the advantage of downloading the games, so what size of card would you recommend for it? 128GB? or would that be too much?

Also, Could someone briefly explain what else the Switch does besides play games? Does it have an internet browser? Youtube app?

I assume connectivity is through Wi-Fi only?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Looking for advice. My two sons want a switch lite each for Christmas. I was just wondering if we got them one each do we need two copies of same game. For example on a multiplayer game like mario kart do they need two copies of the game or can they play two player with one game? Long time since my Gameboy days so don't know.

"when you say older version of switch, do you mean a version from 2 years ago etc?". No. Sorry, my bad, I mean older versions of the FIFA game.

"I would like to get him a Mario World game". Both "Super Mario 3D World + Bower's Fury" and "Super Mario Odyssey" are superb games. Like really excellent. Not just for kids. Anyone would get immense enjoyment of out these. I'd get both :) "Super Mario 3D World + Bower's Fury" would be absolutely perfect.

"I prefer to have the cartridges" - yep, much much better. You can sell, share, trade them. With digital downloads and with Nintendo you can't do any of that. Downloads are fine for 2nd/3rd party cheaper games. 128 GB card is plenty and cheap, if you also use physical cartridges for the main AAA Nintendo games. Digital is useful, especially with kids losing/breaking cartridges but first party Nintendo games are very expensive digital.

"Could someone briefly explain what else the Switch does besides play games". Not much. YouTube is on there and that's about it. No Netflix for example.

"I assume connectivity is through Wi-Fi only?". If it's a regular Switch, in the dock, and you have a USB ethernet adapter then it can be wired. The wifi on the Switch is rubbish by the way and does not extend very far. Which might be an issue if you play a lot of multiplayer games and you are located far from the router. Maybe they improved this in recent models. Or you could use a mobile hotspot.

"I was just wondering if we got them one each do we need two copies of same game. For example on a multiplayer game like mario kart do they need two copies of the game" - Yes, as far as I know, it hasn't changed -> Nintendo are rip off merchants with respect to this. It might make more sense to get a regular switch which can be connected to a large TV and you can have up to 4 people play on the single switch. Actually, the switch lite is not really a good option in my opinion, it's too restrictive, doesn't do TV play, some games are awkward to play as the joycons are fixed to the device. If the joycons break/drift* you are stuck trying to get Nintendo to repair the whole device.

Joycon drift -> so the joycons on the Switch are liable to drift ... i.e. they become difficult to use and need to be repaired. With switch lite you have to return the whole console for repair. With a regular switch you can just return the joycons or get new ones (including much cheaper 2nd/3rd party ones) and use "pro" controllers which are just standard controllers that don't dock on the device. The regular Switch is a better idea in my opinion.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

I do not want to open Pandora’s box here but I totally forgot about the other main players.

xbox

PlayStation

very very high level, would any of these be an option for an 7/8 year old. Or is the Nintendo switch just the better option.

I have no idea as you can see, don’t even know prices or options with other 2

Nintendo has the best AAA games which appeal to and are suitable for all ages and sexes. Mario Odyssey, Mario kart, breath of the wild, animal crossing, ..

A lot of the best games on Xbox and Playstation are 16, 18+

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Advertisement

Thanks.

So sounds like for 6/7/8 year old that a Nintendo switch is the one to go for

If your kid is mad set on FIFA then then it's free with an Xbox series s, free delivery from Microsoft store etc. .. 299.

I.e. the full on console experience FIFA 22 not the hobbled Switch one.

I think that's a great value deal, but as I said earlier, less AAA kids/family/everyone games on Xbox.

Thanks. What do you mean by “hobbled switch one”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

It’s not the full experience on switch. Nearly like a mobile version

Noted. Thanks.

indecisive now on which console to get

I think you might have to ask your kid "what consoles do your friends have" ...

Also ..

You can get 3 years of GamePass for about 120 quid on Xbox. It's great value.

Hello. What does the attached mean for a Nintendo switch game “code in box”

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As it says on the box, there's no cartridge inside. It's just a download code

• Advertisement

ah ok. Thanks. So allows you to download the game. How many games can one download to a standard switch without upgrading etc?

any subscriptions etc needed to download the games?

Advertisement