Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Year old with Under Arm Bo

Options
  • 23-09-2021 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this? My 5 year old came back from afterschool today with a pretty bad smell from under the arms. We bath three times a week and have never noticed anything like it before. He was wearing a very heavy school jumper for the day but I didn't think I'd see this happening for at least a few more years.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Have you noticed any body changes? Precocious puberty is puberty which starts early - age 7 or younger in girls, 8 or younger in boys. It's not very common, but is not unusual either. If it is not treated though it can lead to the child having an early growth spurt but then stopping and not reaching their potential adult height. Not to mention all the feeling, hormones and emotions that puberty brings.

Have a little look around his body. Do you notice hair, underarms or in public region. Sudden growth spurt?

A visit to the GP with a referral to paediatric outpatient department might be needed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Weird, we had this experience the other day - 5 year old girl- after a particularly warm night.Hadn't noticed it before, bath nightly. Hasn't happened again since either. I haven't noticed any changes in her body but she has told me several times this week she is very hot, I find the weather is very sticky too. Just keeping an eye on it for now myself, but I was a bit shocked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

Thanks for the replies. Could have been a bad night, he hasn't had any smells since then and no new hair appearing. Bit of a weird one but seems to have righted itslef

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I'd just put it down to uncharacteristically warm sticky weather, active kids, and warm classrooms. Something to be mindful of in future though. But if there are no obvious body changes, or growth spurt, then it's most likely nothing to investigate further.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yeah in our case it happened twice now, within 3 days - coincided with an ear infection appearing and her telling me she was very hot at night.Once she was washed up in the morning, I wasn't getting a smell by end of day, even today she has been running around a lot and no smell.Keeping an eye but hoping it will be gone with both the ear infection clearing and the weather.Wondering did she run a bit of a temp those nights and we missed it, she haan't been too well.

If it comes up again mind you, I will have a chat with the GP.No obvious body changes at all here.

Actually looking at your post date PC, it was Thursday - Thursday morning was the first time here after a very warm night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

Just a thought, does your child drink enough water? My youngest is a very hot child, sweaty at night - he is 7 and needs a shower in the morning - has been checked over and nothing sinister. But we did figure it was worse when he didn't drink enough water during the day.

No, here she has a tendency not to drink enough.Especially since school started.A good point, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

Happened again today. Not really bad, you would just notice if you smelled the arm pit of his tee shirts. I'm going to call the Public Health Nurse to for advice. Still, no obvious body changes I can see. As mentioned in a different thread he's been finding the start to school really tough, and is deffo carrying anxiety over it. Maybe thats effecting him too.

Advertisement