Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireworks

• 21-09-2021 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

So its getting to that time of year again and the fireworks have started in our area. Thankfully they are nothing compared to last year at this stage, but for our nervous pup we are seeing the effects already.

Last year, his first year with us he reacted incredibly badly. Would do the usual go and hide but also started displaying some agression which the vet and our trainer linked to the fireworks. He was put on anxicalm for over 2 months and after taking him off it in November we said we would not be doing that again this year - it helped him tolerate the fireworks a little but it was not great in other ways. I think we were just so desperate to help him at the time.

This year instead of his instinct to go and hide he just wants to be beside us when he hears them, which to be honest I think is a better response. We have started him on CBD oil to help with his nervous/anxious behaviour but its only been a week so hard to know if its helping. Our big issue now, and what I am looking for advice on his what to do at night time.

He usually sleeps in our spare bedroom and we have had no issues with night time at all since he moved in there around 10 months ago. We all go up to bed at the same time and he is happy there until morning when I get up for our walk. But the past week we started to see some issues, after the fireworks started. A couple of nights last week he scratched at our bedroom door to get in after bed, we called to him to go to bed and he did and it was fine. Then on Sunday night it was like something else entirely, he was almost frantic. Scratching and crying, pacing the hall. We both tried to get up and sit with him in his bed until he settled but as soon as we went back to the room it started up again. Obviously not being heartless we let him in and let him sleep with us. He would not sleep on his bed on the floor - he had to be touching both of us and he slept on the bed. Then last night it started again and we thought we would try to wait him out but he got worse and starting throwing himself at the door. So again, after trying to settle him in his own bed both outside and inside, we gave up and let him sleep on the bed.

I know lots of people are ok with their dogs in their rooms at night and on their bed, but I don't like it. He is small but he takes up space and as I said he has to be touching both of us so is right in between us, we woke up with him right beside our heads this morning. It was also a restless nights sleep for all of us and not something i would be ok with long term. I know he needs comfort at the moment and it breaks my heart hearing and seeing him scared, but I worry if i let this go on for 6 weeks until after the fireworks stop then we will never get him out of our room, plus 6 weeks of restless sleep is not ideal either. Any suggestions for how to get him to settle on his own when scared?

Also just to point out the fireworks were so far in the distance both nights, myself and my husband could only very faintly hear them when there was no other sound at all. So i know this will be worse if there is a night with local close by fireworks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Mine get freaked out about fireworks, too. Howerver, I do not allow them in bed under any circumstances as it will undoubtedly send mixed messages. Your dog will learn that it is sometimes ok to be in bed with you.

If mine are in severe distress I sleep on the floor next to them. This won’t be for everyone, but I prefer it over a confused dog who thinks that they will be let into bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

So ours is allowed in the bed during the day. We often let him in at the weekends for 20 mins or so, I would walk him early and go back to bed while he has breakfast and then we let him in before we get up for the day for some cuddles. Or if one or both of us are reading in bed during the day, or having a nap its fine for him to be there with us. We have never had any night-time boundary issues until now now.

My initial thought last night was to go down and sleep on the couch with him, but my husband did say I couldn't sleep down there for 6 weeks every night. That it wasn't a long term solution as he may equally get accustomed to that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Could you maybe set up a crate/den in your room for him temporarily ? Your dog is terrified and you’re actually very lucky that you’ve found something to soothe him - you! It’s much harder to manage when they’re inconsolable and shut down. My dog is 12 and has been afraid of fireworks since he was 4 when there was a bad thunderstorm.. I don’t like him using the stairs as I’m afraid with his arthritic legs, but that handful of times a year when he needs to come upstairs because he’s terrified I use a harness to help him up - he’s 35kgs so I can’t carry him. Last year he decided under the stairs was his new safe place so we cleared it out and set up a bed, night light, pet remedy plug-in etc for him etc etc

For evenings when the fireworks will be bad i have Mutt Muffs for him to dampen the sound and lick mats to distract him. I’m going to try a Happy Hoody to pair with the muffs this year. I’ve found Pet Remedy really good for settling him and will be using the plugins soon. So far he hasn’t heard anything and I’m absolutely dreading it!😰 We also have a pup this year who I don’t want to get terrified too because he can see big bro is afraid. We’ll be in the middle of nowhere for Halloween night as it’s just to stressful to stay for both dogs and humans.

I’d work on setting up a den/safe place when he’s ok/happy ie not trying to train him when he’s already heard a firework and is too afraid/over his threshold. Playing firework sound etc - nope - didn’t work for us he knows when they’re on the TV/tablet and when they’re real!

Thanks so much. As I said I am much happier that he wants to be with us this year rather than hiding away like he did last year. We tried to set up a little fort both in his bedroom and in ours, as i know that has soothed him in the past. He went into the den in the spare room as long as we were there but as soon as we left he was back to scratching and crying. And he wouldnt even consider it when he was in the room with us - he had to be touching us. I even tried having his bed right by mine and having my hand in it, but still wanted to be right in between us. I'm just worried because they were so far away and faint last night, and there weren't even many of them. So we have no chance when its bad.

I will try the pet remedy plug in, that might help. We tried a thundercoat and it worked for a while but now he doesn't love it. Might try the happy hoody, but is it safe for a dog to sleep in?

We tried desensitizing using you tube videos. But even on the lowest volume when he was in the next room he would get agitated. And sometimes on the TV he knows they arent real.

A few weeks ago I thought Bailey might be deaf.. and the first thing that came to mind was ‘great he won’t be able to hear fireworks!’

I haven’t tried the hoodie yet - I had been using vet wrap/Velcro strap off something to hold the muffs in place up to now. It’s like a snood that goes over their ears - groomers often use them to dampen the sound of the blaster.

• Advertisement

Just an update. the past 3 nights he is back to sleeping in his bedroom. I have left a radio on low for him and made the den a bit better which he seems to like. I was quite worried last night as when he went out for a wee before bed a couple of fireworks went off. Usually he would run straight back in and go and hide but he stayed out and did his business. He clung to my legs while I was brushing my teeth so did think he would be back in with us, but he went into his den without an issue and not a peep from him all night. Maybe the CBD oil is kicking in and helping him relax but I am now confident that if there are a few nights with really bad fireworks he can sleep in with us and it doesn't mean its going to be a forever/long term thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Where are you guys sourcing the Mutt Muffs, please?

I got them on amazon.com a few years ago. They definitely work better when they’re held in place. So far Bailey hasn’t heard any.. I did have Rory out to the loo the other evening and loads were going off in the distance and he didn’t seem to notice… but he’s going through his puppy fear stages so I won’t be taking any chances with him(!)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

Came on the forum to have a rant about the fireworks. They start here at 5pm like you can't even see them what's the point?

One went off above our heads in the park last year and he wouldn't go out the front for a week. Again, it was at 5 or 6pm so not even late at night! I think I'll just cut evening walks for the month of October.

Some kids were out throwing bangers just now and he bolted back to the house so I'm feeling guilty for not walking him. So far he hasn't minded hearing them at night so that's something.

Trying the CBD oil this year but might try the mutt muffs too. Ps OP speaking as someone who lets the dog sleep in the bed, you will never get them out if you give them the habit , nip it in the bud but its easier said than done 😬

I used to be the same with Bailey if left him while I took Lucy out.. but the times I did take him and he got a fright I felt much worse! We live beside the park so the closer it gets to Halloween and the louder I gets I just don’t do an afternoon walk at all and have the tv on etc - even in a dog who’s fine with them - all it takes is one bang and you potentially have a noise sensitive dog who’s worried about every noise not just fireworks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

Unfortunately that incident where it went off just above us happened just three weeks after I got him. I think it caused enormous issues with reactivity and being scared of the dark, although he might have had those issues before. Had to work very hard to get his trust again.

Yes early morning walks for us in October!

Same thing happened to us a few times last year. The fireworks started in August last year because of the boredom of lockdown and they just kept getting earlier and earlier. First time it was around 5pm, then another time it was lunchtime at the weekend. After that Milo would not walk after 8am until May of this year, and the only thing that snapped him out of it was a stay in the kennels for our wedding. Determined not to let that happen again this year so only morning walks until November.

We'd only had him a few months at that stage and he was a nervous, anxious dog anyway so it really was tough on him. It's absolutely heartbreaking watching how scared he gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

It must be hard to deal with. I've seen plenty of posts where dogs go missing/running off due to fireworks.

Some dogs can pick up on body language and stress from owners. Is there a chance your dog picks up anger or annoyance from you when they go off? Did you try give them treats and pets everytime a firework goes off?

I feel fortunate as our dog has to jump up on the chair beside the window, push the curtain open and wag her tail looking at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Honestly it’s such a PIA this time of year, we’ve already had to start with Sileo and of course it’s gone up in price. What really angers me is the idiots that let them off with their own dogs that are barking and howling like it’s no big deal.

Advertisement