Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Anyone else finds the specially selected ribeyes quality to have gone down or is it just me and their new packaging? Perhaps it was the carton box that kept them firm and in shape, but now they mostly squashed and unappetizing. Looks like a different product altogether. Used to be my fav for price/quality, not anymore now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

The pad Thai says its for 2 but its plenty for 1 adult and 2 kids.

All it has is a sachet of sauce, some rice noodles and a sachet of peanuts.

I usually add in chicken, peppers, onion and a sprinkle of spring onion just before I serve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

cheers, I must pick it up next time out. Is the sauce nice? Pad thai sauce has been a problem for me in the past as one of the main ingredients is tamarind paste. Im not sure what it is but I dont think tamarind lasts long once it is opened, have often used some a month after opening and its not as good as the first time directly after opening. It seems to congeal itself or something.

Ya, the sauce itself is lovely. I've tried a few before and I never found them great. Other than that it's just noodles and peanuts.

There's an Asian place near me that does a savage pad Thai, while this isn't quite as good, it's the closest I've gotten to it. It's a really good fake away for less than a tenner for 2/3 people once you add the meat and veg.

I only buy the regular rib eyes but jaysis it is a hunt to find a packet with two steaks that have good marbling. Last week I flicked through about 12 packets on the shelf and almost all of them were completely red with very little fat. I finally found one right at the back of the shelf with some fat, was almost thinking maybe a staff member moved it there so they could grab it for their own dinner later!

I cant comment on the Specially Selected ones as I only get them the odd time. But one thing I have noticed is that Aldi have this habit of when the price of their suppliers costs goes up instead of raising their own prices and keeping the product as it is what they do is keep the price the same but downgrade the product.

This was evident with their own brand Snackrite tortilla chips, they were ridiculously cheap at 35c but then food price rises come along (corn is up 25% in the last 12 months) and instead of putting an extra 5 or 10 cents on them they put a totally different product in the same packaging. Now they taste like cardboard and Ive stopping buying them whereas before they were decent enough. The also did the same with the Dairyfine chocolate buttons, they were nice and then last year they completely changed and were disgusting, I stopped buying them. Would much have preferred that they raised the price in order to keep the recipe but they dont appear to for their own products.

• Advertisement

yeah I definitely must try it as I love pad thai but that tamarind problem has hit me time and time again and if the sauce isnt right then it doesnt taste authentic. As a result I havent made it in at least 6 months now so would be good if this meal kit solves the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I'm after creating a deliveroo account and in the middle of creating an order for an elderly friend. There are quite a few products missing (seems very limited), but also some products are there but only have one option or flavour for them. I have him set up on his laptop, is there a wider range available in the app?

For example, he wants to add an 8 pack of Guinness, but they only seem possible to order individually, He orders multipack of crisps that he has for the great grandkids when they call in, but they only have Cheese & onion, and he can order couscous, cheese and salads, but can't order crackers or water biscuits.

If there is a wider range on the app, I will try and get him on to a tablet or bluestacks on the laptop if he can grasp it. Or is there a way to add items not on the deliveroo site?

Also - Aldi might want to remove "Free Delivery" from their website, as when ordering there is a €2 fee until €25 is reached in basket, but delivery is always €4.50 (it says on the website) no mater how near or far you live.

EDIT - I just noticed

*Free delivery on all Aldi orders over €25 and under €75 on Deliveroo until 26/09/2021. Geographical restrictions and service fees apply. Items subject to availability. Delivery times may vary, see in-app for current delivery estimates.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

I think they only have a limited range online - I haven't done an order myself online but I did notice in store some products would say 'find me on deliveroo' or something to that effect. It does feel a bit half assed.

Thanks, never noticed them, but after all that today, he decided that he is going to go with click and collect.

He couldn't get a lot of stuff he wanted on the deliveroo site, and the stuff he did go for, he had worked out that it was costing him a fair bit extra, even above the delivery costs. I'll collect for him a couple of times a month and I'm sure there will be others too. It just means it won't be as quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

100% agree

They where amazing - huge disappointment now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

The Toffee Crunch replica bars in the Orange wrapper that they have at the chekouts are surprisingly good - better than the brand name ones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭trashcan

Their specially selected orange juice is the nicest I’ve tasted. It’s advertised on the pack as 100% freshly squeezed, and certainly tastes like it. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The rib steak burgers were tasty I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Are they the ones with the chilli kick? Thought they were really good.

Not a recommendation... Unfortunately almost the opposite.

I was there today and at checkout I saw a box of chocolate bars was almost ready to fall onto the conveyor belt so moved them back. 'Rosin's' dark chocolate and orange, mint crisp and 70% dark chocolate were the flavours.

I bought the orange one. I can't think of what chocolate bar it is identical to. Not great in any case, and no way worth €1.99.

I wouldn't be a massive chocolate person, but every now and then. I would be the type to leave a bar unopened for months in the fridge - much to others annoyance 😄 I can buy one to put in fridge even with others there that I have forgotten about, then a random movie week.. Boom

I don't think I have eaten Lily O'Briens stuff, possibly though. White cardboard wrap in Tesco?

Anyway, I much prefer the Moser Roth bars in Aldi, I have only tried a couple, I think Lidl too. But not a fan of that Roisin bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

On my most recent visit only the cheese and onion and salted were available and the shelf label didn't even mention the salt and vinegar!😥

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Got them the last time I was in, they're my new go to if I fancy a burger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yeah, that Roisín's chocolate is pretty awful - really sugary.

BTW, there is no good reason to put chocolate in the fridge, in Ireland. It just dulls the flavour and causes a 'bloom' on the surface (harmless).

So many people default to putting all chocolate in the fridge. Drives me mad, especially with darker chocolate. Unless we are having one of our rare heatwaves and you are eating dairy milk, please stop putting your chocolate in the fridge (this is mostly addressed to my family).

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ha, I'm completely with you on this one! Cannot be having chocolate in the fridge!

And tomatoes, people who put tomatoes in the fridge are also wrong.

I'm guessing you've never had a purple yorkie straight from the fridge, paired with a hot cup of strong tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

while there may not be any reason, I much prefer chocolate when its colder.......

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I can see how the bite and texture of some low cocoa content chocolate would improve by being colder, I'd rather eat chocolate that has a pleasing texture at room temperature.

For me, if a chocolate needs to be chilled to be pleasant, it isn't very good chocolate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I don't see the point in keeping chocolate in the fridge - it has to melt in your mouth or you don't get the full flavour.

In other news, the Banshee Bones are back for Halloween - €3 for a 12 pack 😋

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I usually eat cold chocolate with tea, i must admit i do like some lower cocoa % and so some cheaper stuff but the feel and flavour of chocolate with hot tea just does it for me.. Each to their own i guess.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Aldi have a "Moser Roth Boozy Truffles" box of chocolates. I got excited because it looks to be a dupe of the Hotel Chocolat Tipsy Truffles. If you're a fan of the HC ones, then prepare to be disappointed. The HC ones smack you in the face with booze but the Aldi ones barely even have a hint. Like, I couldn't even taste any alcohol from them, and they're just overly sweet.

It's a big DON'T recommend, unless you've never had the HC ones in which case you may be alright with the Aldi ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Yes they have a range of these with the Xma chocs - desserts, just dark choc etc

Look just like the Hotel Choc selector boxes but to be honest I didn't find the quality that great. They are much cheaper at €7 for 165g box but if you are going to treat yourself, maybe spend the calories on the real thing. Still decent as chocs but would put Butlers, Hotel Choc, even lindt above them.

The Moser roth bars are great though!

Advertisement