Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Doak looked very comfortable tonight. Cooney already preparing a hit-piece with his stooge in the Times... 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Doak playing well beyond his years tonight.

Hopefully the line out won’t affect Roberts going forward tonight. Can’t say he’s to blame, Glasgow competed very well!

Still a little close for comfort in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

I don't think that article proves what you think it does.

In a video for the Zurich and Rugby Players’ Ireland Tackle Your Feelings campaign with his former Connacht half-back partner Jack Carty, Cooney speaks of the encouragement which the latter gave him, intimating this was not the case when he worked with Johnny Sexton at Leinster and Ireland.

“Potentially. When I first started playing with Leinster I did find it quite difficult, the way he spoke to me. We did play a bit with Ireland. I don’t know, I won’t really expand on that too much.

Again as I said Cooney never mentioned Sexton, as shown from the above quote from the article you linked he never did mention Sexton. The quote from him is clearly in response to a question from the reporter and is very diplomatic. If you go back to initial post I talked about how a positive comment Cooney made about Carty got turned into a negative comment about Sexton. I've written about this particular incident a couple times before if you want to see where I'm coming from on this. In particular I'd recommend actually watching the video interview I've linked to see why what Cooney said has really been warped into Cooney makes anti Sexton comments

Post edited by b.gud on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'd pay next to no heed to anything in the media.

Words twisted to suit a narrative or words taken out of context to gain "clicks".

I knew Hendo wasn't going to have gone all in on Gatland, and sure enough if you read it there's nothing of major interest in there.

You get a reporter asking a loaded question like "should the lions have tried something different against SA"? Any player might answer with "yeah with hindsight we could have tried to mix it up". Next day....Player X slams coaches inability to change tactics against Boks.

Players are answering as blandly as possible and reporters are trying to find any angle to put some spin on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

In fairness, look at the context.

Henderson said what he said about Gatland on the Ulster Rugby Show. He wasn't ambushed. There's no way that show was going out unless everyone involved was happy with the content.

Then, to promote this show, they released a few of the juiciest soundbites in advance. Again, there's no way this was an ambush or a stitch up. It achieved exactly what everyone wanted, Henderson included. He knew EXACTLY how those comments would be received and he was only too happy to give them.

As for Cooney. He said what he said about Sexton. That's on him and no one else. Just like he couldn't keep shut about Farrell, Schmidt or anyone else. Blaming "the media" for his big mouth is nonsense. He's only too delighted to use the media for his own ends, he knew exactly what he was doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

It's on iPlayer.

Dunno what the issue with the lineout was last night - I think its multiple malfunctions were a substantial reason why that game was as close as it was.

Very heartened by that performance by Doak. Much faster delivery than against Sarries

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Doak was very good. I was watching it think there is no way that guy is 19 years old. I genuinely have no concerns with him starting any match for Ulster.

I'm not sure the lineout issues were down to one thing. Maybe Brad could get his throws a tad higher, but in the main Glasgow seemed to read our jumpers very well. That said it did improve a bit when Herring came on so maybe it was more down to the throw than I thought in the first half.

Hume's YC is an interesting debate. At first I was outraged like everyone else in the ground, but when I watched it back and heard Whitehouse's explanation I kind of thought he may have had a point. Ultimately you have to let the player up. It was a very unusual scenario and felt very harsh, but in the cold light of day was probably the correct decision.

However presumably the Glasgow player would had to have let go of the ball and picked it up again if he was going to score? You always see James Lowe do it. I wonder if the TMO or ref would have picked up on that if it had come to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Doak was very good. Greg Jones also. He's a good player and I think is a very solid bench option.

Marty Moore was great! He's rock solid and is good around the park. I thought the subs were great. Mick Kearney in particular. Robert's l/o throws were off. But Glasgow were very good in this area.

Good win! Hopefully Cooney is ok.

Will have to watch it back, but I wasn't that impressed by Jones. I think he is a bit underrated, but didn't think last night was his night, but would need to see it again.

Just caught up on the NZ v SA match. Don't think we need to worry about Vermuelen being 35! Make no mistake, he doesn't just replace Marcel, he is an upgrade IMO.

• Advertisement

The Physicality Roberts brings can’t be understated! Last night was a good lesson for him, I’m not quite sure the throwing was the issue! Glasgow are very good competing and know Dan.

Jones looked good last week and average last night. He just isn’t powerful/big enough at blindside. He got man handled at one stage last nite.

Once again Kearny put his hand up! Just adds the grunt and basics we’ve missed off the bench! Tread will really need to up his game!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

With regards to Cooney can I ask have you watched the video in the article you sent me before?

Medical update

John Cooney sustained a hamstring strain during Friday’s game against Glasgow at Kingspan Stadium. He will have an MRI scan today to further assess this injury.

He joins the following players who are currently unavailable for selection due to injury:

Rob Baloucoune (groin)

Iain Henderson (thumb)

Cormac Izuchukwu (knee)

Luke Marshall (knee)

Jack McGrath (hip)

Kieran Treadwell (shoulder)

Jordi Murphy

Ian Madigan

Ah just came here to post that.

For me, Lyttle and Doak then start.

According to a 42.ie article, Cooney personally doesn't think his injury is serious, and Baloucoune is basically being allowed the week off because it's Zebre and the start of the season.

I still would like to see Doak start in Zebre. It would be an interesting test for him. Zebre will be niggly.

On form I'd actually start Gilroy against Zebre, although more likely we may move McIlroy to the wing and start Addison at 15.

Doak to start! Big fan of Finlay but it’s hard to deny doak was very good the other evening . Needs to improving his passing though.

Burns didn’t look great leaving the field either, will Lowry get a chance with Madigan injured.

If neither Reid/McCann/Rea Jnr get any meaningful game time we may give up!

Interesting Ulster Rugby Show again tonight.

It's an unusually honest programme. They talked about the response to the Henderson headlines, Tommy texting Iain to apologise, how players deal with the media, and a very decent interview with McFarland.

Yeah, I'm enjoying it.

The interview with Dan was very interesting, the discussion on identity was definitely thought provoking.

Ulster team to play Zebre Rugby, United Rugby Championship Round 2, Saturday 2 October at Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi, 5.15pm (UK / Irish time) kick-off:

(15-9) Will Addison, Craig Gilroy, James Hume, Stewart Moore, Ethan McIlroy, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Rob Herring, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor (Capt.), Mick Kearney, Matty Rea, Nick Timoney, David McCann.

Replacements: Brad Roberts, Callum Reid, Marty Moore, Sam Carter, Sean Reidy, David Shanahan, Mike Lowry, Ben Moxham.

McCann and Doak start, which is excellent. Reid and Lowry on the bench. Pleased for Moxham but haven't really seen much from him that tells me why he's there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Players not considered due to injury or unavailability:

Jack McGrath, Iain Henderson, Luke Marshall, Cormac Izuchukwu, David O’Connor, Jordi Murphy, John Cooney, Stuart McCloskey, Robert Baloucoune, Kieran Treadwell, Ian Madigan, Jacob Stockdale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

What's with Jordi? Is he injured? That's a good 23 that Ulster are fielding! Looking forward to seeing Doak. Future international imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭briandebum

Great to see Doak starting so early on in his career. Watching him in the U-20's this year, he kind of reminded me of Larmour at that level. Not in terms of playstyle or anything, but just in the sense that he was just a bit above that level and ready for more. Still has loads to improve on & develop of course, but I think he has the potential to be the future Ireland No. 9.

McCann & himself starting makes the runout against Zebre much more interesting any way.

The more I think about it, the more pleased I am with that team.

Doak's 19, Moxham 20, McCann and McIlroy 21, Reid and Moore 22, Hume, Lowry and O'Toole all 23.

Great core building, just need a few more forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I know what you mean but they are in for a possibly torrid evening........

Ah if things start to go South, we've an experienced bench.

Famous last words...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Lovely by Hume there, he's big enough to worry the outside defender and his quick feet really draws him in.

Difficult enough game to watch so far, neither team really got going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Hume probably our best player, very involved and kept their defence guessing. Seems to be really pushing on, he's definitely got a few more international caps coming imo.

Thought Timoney went well also, he's looked a lot better at cutting down players and winning turnovers recently. Hopefully the call up has given him a real push. I reckon he'll spend a few years in and out of the summer camps but he can be a real weapon for us with the right balance in the backrow.

Reid was good when he came on. Scrum continued their dominance but how much of that was down to the second rows I don't know. He's very good in open play, deceptively quick and a strong runner. I reckon he's finally ready for more senior minutes this year although that may be down to Jack McGrath.

Doak was mostly composed. His box kicking stands out as a real weapon for me, the difference between his and Shanahans was night and day.

• Advertisement

Will take the five points and move on.

Needed more direction from Burns, Addison, Herring, O'Connor.

Disappointed in Stewart Moore, Rea was very quiet. Hume looked a class apart, Timoney was very good.

Was pleased with how well the scrum went with EOS and TOT. Although Marty Moore had his man on toast when he came on.

Advertisement