Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Bank Holiday and other compensation for Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Everyone did their job and it wasn't quite the hellish scenario been painted here for healthcare workers. It's frightening how 1bn is just such a small arbitrary figure been thrown around now like it's nothing.

Health professionals sign up to care for the ill, no matter what. They are well paid for this. Shop workers on the other hand don’t expect to be faced with situations like this. They are the ones who deserve recognition.

i, for one, am grateful to the many hundreds of shop workers, delivery drivers etc., who helped us during the lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

How would you know tbf ?

You have denied Covid on the forum all the way so I don't think you quite understand how it was .

Either that or you are on a windup , which is possible too .

The only people mentioning a billion are you and others seeking to exaggerate the sums .

That number was a negotiation ploy by a government financial head to try to ensure that everyone is up in arms about " all public servants applying for this and that " and it is being quoted by some here disingenuously as if that is what is being sought.

That is not what has been or is being sought by us nurses as I have said a few posts back .

The maximum amount would come to €350 to €500 million which is less than what the HSE should be getting back in refunds for their misspend on incorrect PPE and useless outdated ventilators .

I've never denied COVID, so you can retract that thanks. Many in my extended family are nurses so I know unless they are lying to me.

Id rather see that tiny figure of 500m sunk into child and adolescent mental health services which are non existent as I'm painfully all to aware of. Because I can tell you it would make a nice difference.

This is nothing but a stunt for a deeply unpopular government and most can see through the BS.

Leo already saying this won't be exclusive to healthcare staff so the 1bn is probably more accurate.

Exactly, public service is what you signed up for, and that is what was expected of you. Job security, excellent pension is your reward.

Private companies who benefitted should be the ones paying bonuses not the taxpayer.

There should be no further unnecessary expenditure of taxpayers money on this pandemic.

• Advertisement

Don't know if they have been working in any acute care to say this has not been hell so am afraid I take that with a pinch of salt .

I really don't remember you being on the side of nurses or healthcare workers at all in the last while so of course my comment stands .

Maybe it is a stunt , certainly was not impressed with McGrath and his carry on about all public servants.

That would probably include government tds etc. No need to be dragging healthcare workers into that though if you have a beef with Leo et al .

And to say that you want that money to go to CAMHS is of course laudable , it certainly won't be nurses taking that money away from that or any service .

That is like saying' we could give half a million to Disability services but we won't because we are giving nurses extra instead ' !

It is money probably allocated to bonuses for HSE bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Stupid idea to be honest!

Health service can't cope with the few staff that they have already!

Everyone should feel entitled to something if this is the case!

Where will it end?

I have never once spoke out against healthcare workers. I haven't posted much here in the last while so that's probably why you haven't seen me.

And I'm sorry but that was the job you signed up for, helping sick people.

There is so many more deserving services and causes that would benefit from this potential 1bn expenditure. You just can't argue against that.

And your last post there ...?

Nurses did not sign up for all the extra that they were subject to through the pandemic.

We are looking at less than 350million but of course it serves your purpose to misrepresent by saying 1 billion.

I referenced this in my earlier post above and again at least 3 times more already . So if you continue to ignore what is being posted , not much point in replying .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Well someone's got a massive chip on their shoulder.

• Advertisement

Look 300m 500m 1bn, whatever sector gets it, it's **** galling when so many services are crying out for funding. Funding that would make an enormous difference to people's lives. This benefits no one.

Public health care workers, working through a public health crisis. There is nothing to sign up to extra this is all in the job description.

And of course ignore where I keep saying this 1bn figure includes other sectors not just healthcare workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,477 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Thank You Day

Let's waive all taxes in hospitality for one bank holiday, we all have a big party on the cheap and clap for the HSE. Everyone has a good time and the healthcare workers celebrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Don't future generations always pay and gain? They may have to pay for one extra bank holiday, but they had 9 for 'free'

Isn't that the whole concept of future generations having a better living than previous ones?

We have so little public holidays as it is, despite the massive increase in our economy over the decades.

We have 9 public holidays, Italy 12, Austria, Belgium 14, Sweden 15.... We're are really bottom of the EU on Public Holidays.

Not to derail the thread, those frontline HCW's that were and are in the thick of it still, yes, I'd support compensation for them.....

As long as every WFH 'HCW' office clerk doesn't derail it looking for the same.... It's going to get messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm really not sure about the merits of this. I do believe that the public service and some HCWs should certainly get some recognition but as people who work in the health system know not everybody contributed in the same way or made the same efforts. The  trouble is with something like this you can't really distinguish between groups without producing unnecessary public squabbles about it. And what kind of rewards do you give those non public service people, like those in retail?

To me the public holiday idea is of more benefit to everybody in the sense of recognizing that we have all been through this. Rewarding specific groups is going to be very expensive and it's already concerning that the government seems to be talking about tax cuts thus adding an extra layer to our debt. It also smells like electioneering and would be absolutely typical of the two larger parties to attempt to fence off the public service vote.

In the end I suspect they may come up with some type of compromise and rewards at lower levels than are currently being bandied about. 

The hospitals were very quiet during March and April 2020, quiet enough too until Christmas. The CMO said it after he attended for a procedure himself.There are so many people who will die from cancer now as they stayed at home with worrying symptoms rather than risk going to hospital. You know so many cases were caught in hospitals and instead of improving hospital infrastructure you want the government to spend millions to give you a bonus so you can treat yourself.

I have friends working in private hospitals, they had nothing to do during this time, they were actually forced to take annual leave.

You have a permanent job and you lost no income during the pandemic, other people had to live on 350 euros and because of covid payments their jobs will be deemed insecure so they may not qualify for mortgages in the future.

The government needs to stand up to people like you now,you know the health service is dismal, how can you put your hand out for a bonus when you know this money has to be funded by other taxpayers including the ones who were on covid payments for months.

Can you just get on with your job now so we can all put this nightmare behind us, I dont want any covid rememberance day either, I want to get on with my life now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Bank Holiday.

Wonder will nursing home operators be reimbursing their staff for what they went through.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Probably the worst idea of all time, we are already facing a huge bill for the cost of the lockdown which is having knock on effects on things like pushing out the state pension age.

The absolute last thing on anyone's mind should be piling more cost on top of the debt as a 'reward'.

And for what, certain people in some sectors had a busy year? So what??

Absolutely ridiculous proposal and hope sanity prevails..

There will be murder if the politicans include themselves in the public sector bonus.

Imagine paying Revenue staff extra for sitting at home. How many office based Public servants have actually returned to the office.

This definitely sounds like keeping a huge public sector vote, its almost like something Sinn Fein would promise.

The idea of extra time off too is crazy for an already woefully underfunded and understaffed service, not to mention their is bottle neck of non COVID care now.

• Advertisement

And that's all it is but when have you ever known the public sector not put there hand out.

What about what the NHS just did. 500 quid bonus, surely that gets done for about 50m.

Post edited by rob316 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I think extra bank holiday is a good and fair idea. I don't think we are at position to be able to throw around hundreds millions. Pandemic highlighted plenty of things that needs to be improved in Ireland, that's where the money should go. And should be used wisely..

Give everyone a hundred euro that has to be spent in physical shops, restaurants.

Nothing else to any sector, nurses will be to the forefront with the handout, so many of them but what about the health care assistants, they do the hard physical dirty work while the nurses huddle around the computers or walk around with clipboards, thats what I have seen anyway.

So increase the rate of pay of the health care assistants and provide a promotional route for them, let that be the end of it before it gets out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Make everyone who voted for or spoke in favour of any restrictions whatsoever forfeit their pay and give it to those who did not.

Reparations are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I guess you definitely deserve some sort of reward..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Economics101

According to the Government's Covid data hub, 274,000 Cohort 2 ("Frontline Healthcare workers") were given 2 vaccination shots. That looks like a very elastic definition of Frontline. I'm sure they will all say they need compensation.

This is a post which typifies the chip on the shoulder about nurses and doctors and anybody earning a decent wage for their work and qualifications.

Of course all those other essential workers should be recognised for their work throughout this . I have said so from the start . Nobody who had to go to their regular place of work and was facing the public through Covid should be forgotten in this .

But to praise this work and discount all that frontline healthcare workers have done , which was way above their contracted or even expected duties, is just trolling from you and that other poster( who talks about how quiet private hospitals were and other ignorant ramblings . )

@Economics101 of course that number you quote would include ALL frontline healthcare workers .

It palls in significance to PUP payments and Wage Subsidy Sceme payments, which were all deemed right and proper as well .

Really don't need a crystal ball to see how the list of entitled groups will just grow and grow. We may even get those WFH with their hands out and it's starting to feel like benchmarking Part III!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bellie1

I think they should only give bonus to those who worked directly in covid wards . Otherwise it's a free for all and impossible to draw the line. Although you're probably going to have porters who transferred patients to ICU claiming they worked directly with covid patients so the line isn that clear this way either :-/

• Advertisement

There were some on the admin side looking after PPE or supporting the NHs throughout, often on call seven days a week.

Advertisement