Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hatton couldn’t crack a fooking egg, so expect another crap 4 rounder. He’s muck!

Just on Gassiev fight. As mentioned. It was not close. Usyk won that in second gear. Gassiev was dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'm going for a Usyk win at 4/1.

Joshua should win but I think if Usyk plays his cards right he is going to get an opportunity of a knockout a least once during the fight.

I was tempted to bet on the knockout but played safe thinking Joshua might hang on.

Rooting for the underdog here and I don't share the hate for Joshua that a lot of people seem to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

It was a poor fight and I didn’t think either of them looked great it was a very hard watch. Maybe then the scores were wider than I remember if you guys say so. Leave that one out if you want I didn’t think Usyk was that amazing but fair enough.

Well picked out RJD2 Hatton should be the 6 o’clock fight. I looked earlier I think the whole card is poorly matched.

I went for Joshua rounds 4-9 stoppage. If I’m right then I get a few quid but have to sit through Joshua winning, if I’m wrong then hopefully Usyk wins.

• Advertisement

well that would probably be the most likely outcome to be fair.

I just think Uysk will have a good plan and is confident he can pull it off.

I think anyone that AJ fights has a chance... even a bad boxer.

Tonight he is in with a good boxer.

Gassiev was so poor that I found it difficult to assess Usyk

The Breidis fight: now, there was a great fight, where both men were exceptional. Usyk that night showed his best performance.

That cruiserweight WBSS was a great series.

Pity all boxing wasn't done like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Usyk's performance against Gassiev was one of the best in recent memory. Up there with Rigo against Donaire and Floyd v Canelo. Absolutely brilliant that night nullifying everything Gassiev is good at at.

Interesting how much the narrative has changed on here closer to the fight. I remember saying I fancied Usyk to win this straight after the Chisora fight and feeling very alone with that opinion. Seems some have been swayed since!

I think Usyk out-thinks and outworks Joshua and stops him in or around the 10th. I think it'll be a cagey first half of the fight but Joshua is going to tire badly in the latter rounds and will have to go through hell to see the bell. Could be completely wrong as it's always difficult to project a fighter going up in weight and level but I really think Usyk is the type of special fighter to pull it off and Joshua has enough flaws to be taken advantage of.

• Advertisement

I am one a wee bit swayed. Last year I was 90-10 AJ. I reckon I’m 65/35 now.

Being too one sided in these fights can stymie debate and open discussion.

Usyk’s demeanour and confidence and attitude leaning me to a more close fight

I touched on Usyk and whether or not he can take and/or avoid AJs power as being key. We can add to this how AJ takes/reacts to Usy’s best. If AJ is not at all troubled by Usyk’s power, I see it as a huge confidence booster, which allows AJ to relax and use the full extent of his size and arsenal. This leads IMO to a clearer win than I would have anticipated

If Usyk can trouble and hurt AJ, then we are in for a closer fight.

I don't even think it's Usyk's power that will get him the win.

I'm thinking AJ will get clipped on the temple and turn to jelly.

I can see AJ trying to jab his way to a win and holding and spoiling when not jabbing and a couple of stabs at a knockout.

I really don't think it takes much power for AJ to be troubled. He's a nervous fighter in there since the Ruiz fight. He'll be over-reacting to Usyk's feints all fight I think and the cagey/tense nature of the fight won't help his gas tank down the stretch. Once he's tired and there to be hit then obviously Usyk will have the power to put him away. He's an elite heavyweight boxer and Joshua's chin is far from being cast-iron.

I can’t see AJ at 245 on the night wanting to hold in close against a clearly smaller man, who is not accustomed to inside fighting. I actually think if in close, it is where AJ can dominate and damage.

Yes, I’d have a concern over AJs chin here, but it’s not absolute glass. Usyk could hurt him, yes, but AJ also could take Usyk’s power rather well. We won’t know till later..

I maintain that if AJ is very comfortable taking Usyk’s shots, then AJ can really go to work for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I don't know lads if usyk pulls it off its a massive upset for me, intriguing fight but I doubt he has tasted power like Joshua's before so how he reacts will be interesting.

One thing that isn't in doubt though is that he has come to win and believes he can win which is an important factor too.

If he gets wobbled that's all he'll want to do.

That’s why I left that one out... it didn’t suit my point!!!

I think Joshua will be far too big and strong for Usyk. He will rag doll him around and lean on him in the clinch. When at distance he will have the longer jab. When Chisora could throw him around and last the 12 rounds then I can’t see enough to suggest Joshua can’t. If we see a big improvement in Usyk then maybe he will be speedy and clever enough to manoeuvre his way to finding a big hook to the temple and that could be a route for him. I don’t see it though. Looking forward to it all the same

• Advertisement

Just for anyone wondering.. Eddie Hearn was on BBC earlier and said fight would be on at 10pm sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Quick question lads

Is this fight on the 8 euro per month Danz subscription? Or do u have to pay mlre

It’s not available for UK and Ireland subscribers on DAZN this fight. Sky sports PPV have deal with AJ

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's on Sky Box Office, DAZN don't have the Joshua fights.

While all the above is correct, Is AJ confident of fighting in close, remember last time he tried he was floored several times, Even in the rematch he got all stiff and scared up close

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Joshua's approach will be interesting. Does he treat it like the Ruiz rematch where he cautiously but smartly boxes a boring decision or does he go for it from the get go.

Wrong thread

I don’t think he will be as timid this time. The pressure on Ruiz II was unreal and he couldn’t afford to lose again. I fought the fight giving him the best chance to win. I don’t think shyness is his best chance this time.

Is there a new thread for the fight or are we staying on here? I looked through the labyrinth but didn’t see it if it’s there.

• Advertisement

Advertisement