Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael D Higgins insists he is President of Ireland, refuses to commemorate partition

Options

Comments

Ok, change the parade, let's say it's a corpus christi parade, religious thing, and now the route it takes goes through a Muslim area and they don't like it. They find it provocative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭Shoog

Your on shaky ground here since it's my experience that organisers of such parades are more likely to want to make a point of resisting change, but the point is still true that they should be obliged to stop the parade out of consideration to the resident. Any reasonable group should have no issues with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I've only spent multiple posts discussing it, Downcow. Your famed Twaddell 'Peace Camp' lads losing their sh*t because they were asked to adjust their route to not walk down a Nationalist part of the Crumlin Road.

I expect you'll come back with your usual nonsense, probably try to blame it on SF, moan about St Patrick's Day or the GAA, argue that the OO did nothing wrong, try and distance the OO from the bands they parade with, and probably explain to us that the people at the camp were hard working folks who just happened to have very....flexible working arrangements.

Perhaps instead of that, you could return the favour with an example of a time where the Orange Order have had the consideration and self-awareness to voluntarily adjust their plans to suit residents rather than having to be dragged kicking and screaming by the Parades Commission? Your convenient cut off period is entirely predictably after the Parades Commission curbed the worst of your excesses, so let's look to the period before a legal act and public body had to be put in place to control the triumphalism?

"We haven't gone where we're not wanted NEARLY as much as we used to" isn't quite as strong a defense as you think when the reason for it is because you can't rather than because you recognise that you shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

You are still not telling us. Is this one resident who doesn’t like it? You need to be clear what criteria you are use if or it is meaningless spin that you can duck and dive around

Let’s take it one step at a time. I will deal with your question in due course but let’s not use it as a deflection tool simply because you don’t want to tell us how we can define some of these subjective terms being bandied about on the last few pages?

catholic area

nationalist area

area where they are not wanted

I honestly don’t know what you mean by these. It’s quite possible I will agree with you when you explain what you mean by these areas?

Life is not just as simple and black and white as you like to make it sound - and I think well you know it.

• Advertisement

Feigned naivety. The whole basis of your little country is built around the concept that you claim not to understand.

Would you try and argue that the Shankhill or Tiger's Bay aren't Unionist Areas, or that New Lodge or Andersonstown aren't Nationalist areas? The blatant sophistry on display with your, 'oh I do say....I really don't know what this term commonly used by every political party and news outlet in the place I've lived my entire life means' is tedious to deal with.

It REALLY takes the p*ss to then accuse ME of deflecting because I haven't answered a question that you didn't ask me....while avoiding answering one I directly asked you. Catch yourself on; it's half a step from, 'I know you are, but what am I'.

I would describe an area in which a significant majority are from a Nationalist background as a Nationalist area, one in which a significant majority are from a Unionist background as a Unionist area and one which doesn't have a significant majority of one or the other as a mixed area, but of course you knew this, and were hoping for this answer to try and further deflect with a nonsensical attempt to try and ask for a specific percentage at which point it becomes a Nationalist or Unionist area....pure sophistry of course; let's not play games with Sorities Paradox.

Any chance you'll answer what you were asked or are you having trouble, desperately Googling and need to buy more time with nonsense deflection into widely understood terminology?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,126 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That would seem to be not to do with parade but the city hall flag protests.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belfast_City_Hall_flag_protests

"......Some of these protests led to clashes between protesters and the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI), sparking riots. Attacks were made on Alliance Party offices and the homes of Alliance Party members, while Belfast City councillors were sent death threats......"

They moved this one...

"...“Taking the procession through the commercial heart of the city while the wider culture continues with its afternoon activities is not appropriate any longer,”.."

This is like pulling teeth.

I have now got the term ‘significant’ out of you. An improvement, but still subjective. You see while you are subjective then you can be hypnotical and you can’t be held to account.

but let’s continue the teeth pulling journey. Yes I agree with you that areas like the Shankill or New Lodge could be defined as one or other (I don’t like it but it’s a reasonable assertion).

now what does ‘significant’ mean - and I know your whole little propaganda play is liable to collapse under this scrutiny, but be brave.

So how would you classify a village that is say 70% one or other or 51% one or other (we’ll ignore the numbers don’t ascribe to with camp just to make it easier for you)?

there was also lots of talk of ‘catholic areas’ are we applying same criteria?

please don’t duck and dive and let’s get this sorted and then I’ll give you very direct clear answers to your questions Is that fair?

• Advertisement

Seems clear that conflict is reduced if compromises are made on routes though flashpoints.

"..The Parades Commission had imposed conditions on a number of marches this year.

A planned nationalist protest in west Belfast was cancelled after the Orange Order amended the proposed route..."

It's not rocket science...

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

The Parades Commission would be the best people to answer your question. I wonder what parameters they use?

Yes, your deflection into sophistry really is like pulling teeth. I've literally anticipated and addressed your attempts to go to specific percentages in the post you quoted. You're so predictable that I'm addressing your points before you even make them.

As I predicted, you're messing about with nonsensical arguments to avoid answering the question. I've already said, look up Sorities Paradox. You've agreed that there are Nationalist areas and Unionist areas in your post, even if you don't like the nomenclature. You're trying to play with words and have me commit to a definition which places every area into being either a Nationalist area or a Unionist area, which isn't a position I hold....so why precisely would I provide a definition to that effect? If Stewart's Test for Obscenity is good enough for the US Supreme Court, it's good enough for me and certainly good enough for your pointless rabbit hole.

I haven't used the term Catholic areas; I'm certainly not being dragged down another rabbit hole to define terminology I haven't used. Answer the question or don't, but quit p*ssing about and dodging it while pretending you're going to shower us with examples in just a few more minutes. You might think it's clever, but your little game is ridiculously obvious.

It operates a dark Smokey rooms system so I guess you won’t find out

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

😆

Weren't you the one crying about pejoratives earlier. Now people are "monkeys in a zoo".

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

His predecessor started this embracing tolerance yet he won't attend. In 100 years they'll be celebrating bicentennial of the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

I see you have little respect for the Parades Commission. There's a surprise.

Well sure why don’t you surprise us. I was simply responding to a respectful post asking what criteria the parades commission use to define a nationalist area. I am saying they are not a transparent organisation and I doubt if this is discoverable. So instead of attacking me personally, which has become a hobby of some on here, why don’t you just tell us what criteria they use?? I imagine you must know it.?

There is nothing nonsensical about wanting clarity. I don’t know what question you are referring to but Ask me a question and I promise I will answer with clarity.

your answer is entirely subjective. ‘Significant’ means nothing. The reality is that when posters on here talk about catholic areas etc , they are just talking nonsense. I agree with you that the Shankill and new lodge are republican/loyalist areas. But that’s the easy stuff because they are, to all intent and purpose, 100% one or other. But no one is parading through streets in these areas.

If you can’t/won’t answer then just have the balls to say so - everyone can see anyhow.

The areas of contention are obvious because of repeated conflict at those locations over many years.

If you are losing not just the overall majority but increasing the local majority, this losing the initiative in many areas, you'll want to change the narrative away from pure numbers. So don't get dragged into that.

• Advertisement

Just in case snyone missed these quotes from the service organisers :

"Now, the main church leaders have explained their decision to organise the event which they said was to “explore the opportunity to deepen the work of reconciliation in a context of respectful dialogue.”

They have issued a joint statement in the name of the Church Leaders Group, which includes the Church of Ireland Archbishop of Armagh, John McDowell, the Catholic Primate of All Ireland, Eamon Martin, the Presbyterian Moderator David Bruce, the President of the Methodist Church in Ireland, Sahr Yambasu and the President of the Irish Council of Churches, Ivan Patterson.

They said: “We made a decision as the Church Leaders Group to undertake a collective programme of engagement with the 1921 centenaries.

“We were conscious that these centenaries would highlight painful moments from our past which continue to impact relationships in our present.

“We felt a responsibility as Christian leaders to explore the opportunity to deepen the work of reconciliation in a context of respectful dialogue.

“We cannot undo the past, but we can learn from it, and we all have a responsibility to contribute to the healing of relationships from our different perspectives.

“As church leaders we have been saddened by the polarised public commentary around our service of reflection and hope.”

They added: “The tone of the public debate has shone a light on the societal wounds we wish to reflect on in this service.

“We wish primarily to gather in prayer for healing of relationships, and in doing so, to demonstrate a renewed commitment to working together for peace, reconciliation and the common good.

“We, of course, understand that not everyone will feel able to participate with us in this service.”

The church leaders continued: “We re-state once again that the service is an initiative of the Church Leaders’ Group and church leaders have been wholly responsible for its planning, organisation and design."

From the Examiner https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40705523.html

Of course my answer is subjective; you're asking for my fecking opinion. I absolutely can't answer in a black and white manner, it isn't a black and white question. There is a significant period where the answer is certain (e.g. New Lodge/Shankill), as areas get more mixed things become less black and white. Fortunately as I'm not responsible for personally deciding where the OO can march, I don't need to be certain about every single bloody case. Would I consider an area that is 66% Nationalist to be a Nationalist area? Yes, there are at least two Nationalists for ever Unionist. Would I describe an area that is 50%+1 Nationalist as a Nationalist area, no...I'd call that a mixed area. The areas in between I'm less certain of my answer, and it would probably depend on a case by case basis depending on multiple factors beyond just immediate right now demographics.

I see after spending a day dodging my question (which I asked very directly, more than once.....and which you promised an answer was forthcoming as soon as I just answered your question), you've now moved on to pretending you don't know what the question is. It's ok, I'll make it easy for you; in response to your asking for examples of OO marches walking where they are not wanted (to which I gave a rapid and obvious answer to the extent that you rapidly dropped the subject to move down this nonsense rabbit hole), I asked you...I'll even give it its own line break to make it extra clear...

Can you give an example of a time when the OO self regulated and CHOSE to alter one of their parade routes for the benefit of local residents of the area they're marching through rather than having to be dragged kicking and screaming by the Parades Commission.

Quite amazing that you don't know what my question was after assuring me all along that you'd answer it as soon as I took the bait of your stupid deflection.

The mistake is thinking someone asking a question actually wants an answer.

Answer to your question:

Yes I can quote lots of occasions in my local town, which I will get scoffed at by many here and told I am making them up as I can’t evidence them, so here is one evidenced

As for you post, it’s great It has been worth persevering for an answer. I agree with you that it is subjective and depends from your paradigm and personal experiences as to whether you regard any particular parade, memorial, flag, church service, etc as controversial. And ‘nationalist areas’ are difficult to determine.

this is exactly the problem and I appreciate you confirming it

I wonder would your post help those who have been claiming OO purposely parade in areas they are not wanted, to determine what they mean by ‘not wanted’? Will they have the balls to do what you have just done?

Some think it would be wrong for MDH to attend service. Some think a unionist politician should not attend 11th night, some think sf politicians should not attend Story funeral, etc,etc

I hope my opening answer is crystal clear for you? 🙏

Post edited by downcow on

That is an extremely poor measure. It encourages bigots to prevent diversity by ensuring ‘repeated conflict’. Dangerous territory and often just tells you that some people can’t stomach ‘the other’ about the place. Would you rethink this as a measure?

The stats disagree with you. Conflicts due to parades have been reduced, arrests reduced, policing costs reduced, all massively once they are kept away from conflict zones.

But of course if someone's main aim is to cause conflict at parades it does deny them that opportunity. The idea that's it's preventing diversity is absurd and disingenuous.

I am not arguing the to allow communities to dictate based on majorities, who is and is not allowed through there area. Of course that will reduce overt conflict.

I have just been asking how we decide when it is and is not ok for a majority to say that we do not want the minority celebrating their culture here?

fionn has demonstrated the complexity of it and how it is going to be very subjective in most cases.

why is it absurd to say that a majority not allowing a minority to express its culture is reducing diversity in that area??? I’m baffled by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Take the example you gave above about the Killowen OO deciding to reroute a parade. Why do you think they decided to reroute it?

The principle should be quite simple, go where you are welcome and it is a genuine celebration, and keep out of places you are not, No march needs to be cancelled if this principle is applied. Only if the intent is to antagonist and you are prevented from doing so would you have cause for compliant.

It really is no different to the English Defense League staging a march through a Indian community with the intention of causing trouble.

This isn't rocket science unless you are been disingenuous in what you are stating you are trying to say. Doing something in the full knowledge that it will intentionally cause conflict is the real issue here. The intent, at least partly, is like a cat **** on its territorial boundary to tell other cats to **** off this is mine.

• Advertisement

That is a whole middle on stuff which is meaningless and completely open to interpretation.

take my hometown. Most catholics express zero opposition to a annual parade. Indeed catholics have told me that they are very happy to see out community parading. A tiny group of shinners oppose the little lodge walking to church. There is no offence intended by the lodge and it is simply to remember the Somme. About 20 shinners blocked the road (many bused in).

where would that sit in your non-rocket science simple criteria???

Advertisement