Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Bought enough fert this morning of a local merchant to get us to after 1st cut next year, 460 a ton for 24-2.5-5 payment on delivery, its a saucy price but I can't see fert prices dropping till next summer before taking into account at what price if at all you'll buy it for next spring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

department vets can achieve a starting salery of 58k and a finishing up salary of 95k for a 9-5 monday to friday job........its no wonder vets pratices stuggle to retain vets for large pratice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭straight

That's a big call. Hard to know. How are tillage farmers going to manage as they are heavy users. Will this China thing cause the price to collapse? If the whole of Europe can't heat their homes there will be WW3. And all the coal power plants shut down.

Had half of what I needed already in the yard that wasn't spread on account of the dry spell so it took the pain out of it, I can't see the chinese property market collapsing hitting fertiliser prices, its all going to come down to supply and demand, and with the likes of yara shutting down production and selling gas into the energy market, theirs going to be a shortage of fertiliser in the early months of 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Fair dues.

You won’t see any great benefit until after a good dry spell. The day or two before it rains get out with the grass harrow…serious bang for buck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The ground gets a massive burst of nitrogen following a serious heat stressed drought I've always noticed, and July this year was 27degrees and grass properly burning up. My guess would be that a) you have no grass growth that month so all the nitrogen stays in the soil, b) the ground cracks up and realises more residue nitrogen that was in the soil once the rain comes, c) lads start to panic when growth on the floor and lash out the bag nitrogen during the height of the drought, and being realistic this isn't needed. Combination of all 3 probably explains them cows in my view . The growth rates of 80 are due to soil temperatures still being well up, plus basically an Indian summer, and all that nitrogen being used up. I'm grazing covers of 2500+ at the minute, very low rainfall during September is the main saving grace here, otherwise I wouldn't have a hope of utalising them covers, but when your given this gift by the weather bloody well use it, I can see myself needing a months less fodder already this winter because as things stand I'll get to graze most of October, whereas last 2 winters I was feeding heavy for both Octobers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

All fair points, however while we had the week of heat wave we had no drought down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I'd be weary tho, fert prices have never been as high. Steel prices are starting to relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

With this talk of expensive & maybe even more expensive next year fertiliser, it's a good job less will do next year with bulk of silage across the nation from this harvest & 2022s 1st cut off to a great start now ongoing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Read last night that there 4 dairy farmers in beara where once there was 650 50 years ago.in our area there are only 2 where in the 60 s there was 70.theres supposed to be a dairy boom-something not adding up

Interpretation in our area seems to be that the numbers exiting / retiring etc will be enough that any increase in supply as a whole will be rel small going forward. With the cost and nature of land we are different from other countries in terms of very large farms setting up in place of numbers of smaller ones, down here anyway.

A dying breed here too. Down to about 1 dairy farmer per townland on average. Yet all we hear about in the media is new entrants. Limiting of the stocking rates will be the nail in the coffin for alot of them. I was supposed to buy a bigger milk tank but I'll be at least postponing that for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I think theyl be a point in the near future where cow numbers will even drop off with retirements

Retirement scheme for glanbia was apparently oversubscribed, and not all applications where accepted they took in 237, with the latest nitrates plans been brought in for 2023 I'd reckon they'd have no bother getting the same again to pull the pin....

Sad reality is their is a core group of suppliers borrowed to the hilt myself included that simply can't pack it in, and this group is what the co-ops are banking on keeping the milk flowing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I've a relation is always giving the snig to any of the family he meets here about dairy farming and how we must be rolling in it. (Hopefully not reading this).

We seriously don't have that many cows. And the relation in question the minute he took over the farm got rid of all cattle off the farm and ploughed the lot. He'd have six times the acreage as here. Buys and rents land with another partner and complains about his living.

(But privately confessed that the tillage life is a very good life compared to if he had to keep livestock again or milk cows). He wouldn't say that to us though. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Why would they not accept more retirements and leave lads keen to supply milk short of peak milk litres?..that doesn't make sense to me.

With most of the retirements I have seen around here, the litres they would have been supplying is dwarfed by the expansion the bigger suppliers are making.

It seems to me that maybe milk production is moving to the better land, eg. wexford,kilkenny,carlow,tipping,waterford etc. And the larger farms on good land in the Midlands and North east.

Where during the quota years they didn't need to bother milking cows because they could make a good living much easier from tillage and beef.

They had allocated the .0075 c/l levy that's been applied to all glanbia suppliers going forward on all milk produced over the next 5 years to fund it, I done the figures and it's likely maxed out at the 237 suppliers unless they ponied the money up themselves, increased the levy, our simply make the reserve pool farmers who wanted extra litres pay for it, but they as of yet haven't gone this route

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Ah OK that makes sense, wonder what criteria they used for refusing somebody entry to the scheme, would be a bit unfair if you were forced to retire on health grounds or the like and didn't get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Meanwhile the BNM employees are out of work, while the Latvian peat is imported for the horticultural sectors, and providing employment for Latvian immigrants into Ireland.

• Advertisement

The government have lost the plot to be honest and the final nail in the coffin is the couple of odd hundred million with it been estimated the final bill could be over the billion in special covid bonuses they are going to pay out to front line workers.

The sooner the better the imf come back into town before the national debt gets to levels that will leave us as a basketcase country, the crowd at the minute are spending like a teenager that's got their hands on the parents credit card and has a online shopping addiction

Reports of an explosion at glenisk dairy plant, no reports of injuries yet, hopefully won't be

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Insurance will cover the factory there I assume, but dare I ask what happens if your a farmer supplying Glenisk?

They might be able to get other processor to take their milk for the winter/spring months but when peak milk hits depending on processing capacity it could get messy,bigger issue is Glenisk paid a huge premium for organic winter milk from memory 55-60 cent a litre, from October-march, the hit to incomes having to take 35 cent base price will be fairly severe

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hBkMe4TdHDQ it looks like evergrande is just the tip of the iceberg, their property market bubble makes what we where at back in our hayday as fiscal responsible to the mess out their, i wonder how long before time is called on all of this

I dunno, Blackrock, the worlds biggest hedge fund already buying into Chinese equity's again right now. Yep there will be plenty of economic crashes still to come, but you usually don't see a mirror of the previous crash, the Chinese will have certainly learnt from the Global financial crash. Watching a video of afew high rise concrete shells being knocked down certainly wouldn't influence me when you're looking at a country the scale of China.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

its a great little country we live in, they seriously need to do a value for money audit on teagasc some of those salaries are off the chart.....

from my experience going the green cert the education is shocking, lecturers spent to much time doing phd and are a bit out of touch to what it takes to run a comercial farm

how many farmers actually use teagasc services, i think its only a very small %

• Advertisement

No wonder they've such an interest in pushing the farmer to run faster.

Advertisement