Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kin - RTE & AMC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wasn't really needed, should have left it as Garda, they would have either Google'd the term or found out when they saw the Garda cars that it referred to Police.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Episode 2 ended with me not even paying attention. Badly written, badly cast, badly acted.

Against better judgement we watched episode 3. We were howling with laughter by the end and not for the right reasons. My god it's tripe.

The script and writing are dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

One of the boyos that visited Viking in hospital has the exact same voice as Fran from Love/Hate

Enjoyed episode 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'm sure they called them the shades at stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Not much of a crew for a major crime family.......these 2 gimps are top boys, 'deadly'

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Its-not-lupus

Agreed. I think they need someone like Omar Little (iykyk) in the crew. Frank would be delighted too. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

for someone who says they only watched the first 20 minutes you continued a phenomenal diatribe against it.

You are just one of these people who despise anything that is associated with RTE.

the type of person that watches a few minutes and is then a world expert.

read back on your numerous posts and se how stupid most of them are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭J.P.1994

Hilarious. A lot of that going on here.

I must check out some of the forums discussing other tv shows, to see if people are on there slagging off every little thing about them, or is it just Irish shows? And if there was no Irish drama being made, they'd moan about that too.

If you don't like a show, don't watch it - simple 🤷‍♂️

Yep, like I said a few posts back Breaking Bad for example didn't grab hard until after the 3rd episode and if I remember correctly that was also an AMC production that had been turned down elsewhere. Turned out to be a gripping juggernaut, one of the best shows made since The Wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Episode 3 was a lot better but still not a great show and still feels a bit fair city like, I will be sticking with it till the end

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will there be a little twist and

That Moore fella wasn't killed

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Celticshine69

Bit weird that parishioners wernt allowed in because of covid. Yet no problem with a load of actors and extensive film crew !

I've just watched Episode 3, and if the Fair City you're looking at is anything like that - then it must have improved a whole lot since the last time i seen it. I'll be tuning in to Fair City this week on the strength of your recommendation.

But listen, if you don't like KIN why keep watching? Why put yourself through that hardship? There is a whole world of other shows out there to choose from. You have a remote control, use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The acting and dialogue is very poor in places. I'm not going to give up on a show after three episodes with the hope it gets better

Yeah - I'm reading a lot of that kind of opinion on here, and I'm thinking why am I enjoying this show when so many on here seem to think it's **** shite?

And after watching episode 3 this morning and reading comments like yours, I googled reviews to get other reactions to it. IMDB (??) gives episode 3 9/10 And these were some reviews I found (don't read them if you haven't seen Ep3 yet, lots of spoilers).

And not one of them says the "acting is poor" - the opposite.

You'd think that these sites, who are watching top american tv every single week, would have a higher bar than us. But they like it. And we're all in a country that's probably made a handful of decent tv dramas EVER, and we get something Irish with good actors and we just slag it off. I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

did yis two work on this show or something both joined September 21 lol

lets face it it’s **** love/hate it ain’t and don’t even be comparing this to breaking bad which had a quality first episode more than I can say for this sh—te it’s getting worse each episode instead of better

BB also featured Bryan Cranstons Emmy award winning acting who literally threw himself into the role in what was at the time a complete turnaround for the guy known as the goofy dad from Malcom in the middle it may not have set the world alight in its first season but nobody would ever call it boring or rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Well we have comments like "it was so bad I was howling with laughter" when objectively it quite 100% clearly is well made and decently put together cast wise, even if you're not a fan.

I can see why people like it - I do - and I can appreciate that like most things, it's not gonna be for everyone. But the ridiculous over-exaggeration constantly pops up in Irish produced stuff, as if they have to go the extra mile to bury it in the ground.

It's not Breaking Bad. It's not even Love/Hate. But it's decent enough and scoring well with audiences and critics, but of course you'll get the few who have to go out of their way to make out that it's the worst thing they've seen since last nights episode of Fair City.

• Advertisement

On boards a lot, but this is the first time i felt like commenting - so had to join.

Kin is definitely not Breaking Bad, seeing as Breaking Bad would be considered one of the greatest shows ever made (out of tens of thousands of dramas). But most people I know (including me) started watching Breaking Bad a few years in. I kept seeing it being raved about, so I found it online and caught up. Same with The Wire and Peaky Blinders, by the time I jumped on there was a bit of buzz and I knew they were going to be good - so I stuck with them. The Wire in particular I found slow at the beginning, I may have given up were it not for all buzz.

Love/Hate I love. Favourite Irish show of all time, bar none. I can still admit it was just alright at the beginning, not as amazing as it became. I was happy to give it time, because I liked the subject matter and it was an Irish show. But I also remember lots of people slagging it off during that first series, probably the very same people who are now slagging every other Irish show for not being Love/Hate.

My favourite film is Goodfellas, but I also enjoy Gomorrah or Scarface or Sexy Beast or any number of other gangster films - doesn't have to be just one. I love Love/Hate but I also liked The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, Narcos, Peaky Blinders. And then there are other gangster shows like Animal Kingdom or McMafia that I didn't do it for me, and I stopped watching them. Who knows now Kin will turn out, but for now I'm enjoying it - and happy to stick with it.

And if I do get sick of it, I'll stop watching it. I won't feel the need to come on here and slag it off every week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

It's also hard to believe they are a major crime family, when you don't see them do anything to do with crime / their drug empire - or have any sort of gang apart from Vikings two lads :D

This sums up my thoughts on it pretty well, I mentioned in an earlier post that the family simply don't behave like a criminal enterprise (management level or not). It's a fundamental inconsistency imo and that taints all other aspects of the show no matter how good they may be.

Initially I was not sold on episode 1 at all and episode 2 was slow, laying groundwork for what's to come, but episode 3 has changed my mind to a degree and I am engaged now, and the setup is there for a good episode 4. That doesn't mean I'm going to overlook flaws in the fundamental concept though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

By the time we get to the last episode...

Both Eamon and Frank are still very much alive but it won't be Frank Eamon is dealing with directly and Frank ain't going to be happy about that.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I'm not comparing actors or quality to BB, just the fact that it was a slow burner getting going in the early episodes.

Didn't work on the show.

I've been here for over a decade but this is a new account. ✌️

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The best thing about it is the production quality.

The acting is poor lads. You see Aiden Gillen in love/hate, you've seen him in everything.

It's all a bit predictable drug gang series. No doubt we'll get some infighting eventually, Jimmy/Amanda probably shooting Frank or something.

I think there's scope for a series with politicians that could turn into criminality angle or something.

Sound like a good idea, go make it and I'll will watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

You've watched two episodes and have written off a show that will likely last 3/4 seasons. A case of poster's premature ejaculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

"It's also hard to believe they are a major crime family, when you don't see them do anything to do with crime / their drug empire"

The Corleone family engaged in extortion, prostitution and gambling yet you don't see any of this in The Godfather. Did you similarly not accept them as a crime family?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

reading some of the recent posts I have to wonder Why are some people so quick to take offence and jumping to the shows defence???

if the show is good enough then it’ll do fine, random boardsies comments will be forgotten/ignored

personally think it’s way overhyped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

My God..the church. Glad I tuned in now..haven't been inside in years 😆

Advertisement