Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

'Uncomplicated driving'! That's a new one. All that turning of the steering wheel and touching of the pedals must be just so stressful for them. Maybe we should just get those autonomous cars out immediately to reduce the stress for the poor craturs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Finally, the acrobats arrived on Lr Georges St as promised by the council. Taken today about an hour ago.

(BTW it's male with a big bushy hipster beard😁😁😁)

Seriously.

Someone has half pulled the covering off the arrow entry sign.

Is traffic allowed back on the street.

Looks like the local residents are organising a cycle today in support of the cycle lane. Nice day to get the bike out!

https://cabinteelylife.com/2021/09/20/deansgrange-cycle-lane-family-bike-ride/

Yep seriously, couldn’t believe it myself. I don’t think that we will see that type of fun or quirkiness when the street is back full of traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Big turnout at the Deans Grange, with waves and honks of support from the vast majority of drivers in the area too;

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

From a population of 10’s of thousands, even 100’s of thousands in the wider catchment, I would not describe this as a big turnout. Any numbers to back up the rhetoric?

in Galway today, in awful weather, it looks like there was far more support. https://twitter.com/galwayurban/status/1442098361352474627?s=21

That’s probably a truer reflection of local attitude towards the initiative rather than other views that have been expressed on this thread.

Only 13% support indeed😎

In all fairness Zaney that’s only showing part of the turnout.

Will somebody please think of the children🤭

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wetherspoons leaving is a thing to celebrate. If that's what it takes to get them out, we should do it everywhere.

again, any actual numbers? Doesn’t look to me to be a significant proportion of the school population or the local population.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Honks of support or blowing them out of it 😁

Is Wetherspoons not better than yet another empty derelict building.

I paid sixteen euros for four gin and tonics in a Wetherspoons not too long ago, nothing wrong with the gins and the toilets were spotless.

Can those parents not take their children to a playground, they are so entitled,roads aren’t playgrounds, traffic is back to normal now so, no, you can’t take little Oscar and Milly out on the cargo bike, the rest of us aren’t sitting in traffic jams just to suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Ah taxiperson, I find myself agreeing with you on some posts but then you have to go and say stuff like that.

Be nice. People are allowed to ride bikes, the kids should be able to get to school safely, cars cause more traffic jams than bikes.

And Wetherspoons are just nasty; cheap nasty booze, get them in and get them drunk, pro binge drinking grimness. You really lost me on that one.

They could take them to a playground but it's probably been paved over for parking.

How is that entitlement? Explain how. If that's entitlement, then every time you make a journey in your vehicle, youre entitled.

Empty building is better than wethespoons given that it is run by an absolute w@nker of the highest order.

Now, many businesses are run by less than savoury folk, but wethespoons owner continues to outdo himself, be it jingoism, **** attitude to customers, shittier attitude to employees.

If you support them, you can't complain about supporting local business

It wasn't empty before and it won't be empty after they leave, in fact I'm struggling to think of many vacant units in Blackrock.

Have you forgotten about Debenhams and give it a few months and unfortuneately there will be many empty shops in Blackrock.

You do realise you cant even buy a pair of socks in the village now.

What is the issue with Wetherspoons, is it thats its an english company, why wouldnt I want to buy gin and tonic for four euros, Why is the owner of Wetherspoons more objectionable than any other bar owner.

And again what is wrong with those parents, there are plenty of amenities to take children too, roads arent there for recreational purposes, I drive through some towns regularly and I dont see well heeled parents demanding that they be made one way to facilitate cargo bikes, how was this nonsense ever allowed to take hold.

I mean, can they not buy a bicycle carrier for their massive family carriers and not head to a park. Or do what I did and get up a bit earlier and walk their children to school on schooldays.

We just cant accomodate cyclists who arent willing or able to cycle alongside traffic throughout the county, its not realistic with the volume of traffic on the roads, its worse than ever now because people wont use public transport and cycling is not an alternative for the majority, they just arent intetested.

If you ask nicely in diffneys I'd say they could produce a pair of socks for you.

• Advertisement

Debenhams being empty is nothing to do with people being able to drive there or cycle or whatever.

It's such an inane thing to bring up, especially given that they went bust over a year ago pretty much, had been teetering for years and there's been 2 years nearly of pandemic in which no large flagship is going to be coming in

Town centres and village centres should be easily and readily accessible by foot, cycle and public transport and in that order. Private vehicles should be last in the pecking order.

Dream on.

What about horse and cart, is that before or after bicycles.

Its not about what came first. If you don't get that then there's no hope for you.

It's about moving people efficiently. Private vehicles in such places don't do that.

You're not stuck in a traffic jam because of all the cyclists. You're stuck in it because of all the selfish single occupancy vehicle users

Why do you call cars private vehicles, can you not just call them cars.

My bike is a private vehicle too but i just call it was it is, a bike.

My cars moves me very efficiently, I just get in and off I go, no working up a sweat coming up a hill and having to cross roads and re cross them to get where I want to go.

I drove two hundred kms today, it was bliss, in my own little bubble with nice music on.

I cycled when i came home and then the rain came and I was soaked, I know you will tell me I should have good wetgear but I couldnt be bothered with that palaver, not when I have a lovely car to use.

So let people choose whatever they want, you can feel all virtous while you get arthritis etc getting constantly soaked on your trusted bicycle, the rest of us dont want to go back to 1940, we drive, we cycle, we take buses, we walk, it would be better for your health if you didnt focus so much on what other people do.

So, can we take it that you don't subscribe to the view that there are too many cars on the road or that it's bad for peoples health and the environment? It's all just a conspiracy theory??

Post edited by Mav11 on

I really dont see why DLR residents should be the only locals subjected to these trials.

As I said I drive through other towns regularly, all very busy and no one is proposing that main streets through towns be made one way so people can walk on the road, Georges St at the moment cant even cater for cyclists, this is madness.If cars or buses or taxis cant access that street then you need extra pedestrian and cyclists spending money and then you tell cyclists to get off their bike.

If you want to live somewhere with less cars then move out of surburia.

Tinkering around with Road A is not reducing traffic, its moving to nearby roads and causing misery for residents, its better to keep roads for the purpose they were built for as this means traffic is evenly divided and it moves freely.

As I said I think you are confusing roads with recreational spaces, its a problem cyclists have, insisting they have a right to cycle two abreast on roads too as if they are in a park.

There needs to be an immediate road safety campaign directed at cyclists, their behaviour on roads has to be corrected, if they obeyed the rules of the road and learned courtesy to other road users then people might show more support for what they want.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

And there was I thinking it was a simple enough question.😉

I really dont see why DLR residents should be the only locals subjected to these trials.

BTW: DLR residents are not the only locals benefiting from these initiatives. Try Malahide, Caple St and Cork City Centre, that I know of!

Its one street in Malahide and the issue has ended up in the courts. It doesn't impact locals going about their day to day business or affect local housing estates which will be used as rat runs, whats bring attempted in DL is on a different scale sltogether. These plans arent being drawn up for other areas because they are impractical, they are a waste of time and energy, ie Georges Street re opening, was it even s three month trial, it felt a lot shorter.I thought the Cathiorleach of the council announced it was to be permanent recently!!!!!

There are plenty of public transport option to Capel Street so opening or closing it isnt impacting many people.

Dublin City Council intended to reverse the change on Capel Street but bowed to twitter pressure, the mood will change in November.

I dont care what changes are made in the City Centre, going there is optional for me.Most of these changes are facilitating on street drinking by young people with cans from off licences, the last place in the world i want to be.😳

I care about my freedom to get from A to B and I dont want local roads made one way if it means my road is more congested, this is the view of all my neighbours too and councillors are getting it in the neck.

• Advertisement

Started 5th July so yes, 3 months. Also a Summer Streets not a Winter Streets Initiative, wouldn't you agree?

Advertisement